#1 Nshea

Nshea

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 08:49 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to this message board, so hopefully I got this post in the correct spot. I've been diagnoised by my Dr. with celiac disease even though my biopsy came back negative. I'm trying to figure out what blood test he had me do that he figured this out. When I asked him what the number was he told me but I didn't remember. When I asked him what the normal range was he said to me that in a person without celiac disease the number would be "0". also is this an accurate way to diagnois? I was deffinetly having symptoms and am feeling much better on the gluten-free diet. I went on a splurge last weekend and am still paying for it...so I know I have something realted to gluten even if it is not celiac disease. Just wondering if anyone could shed some light onto this for me.

Thanks so much!
Nicole
Tampa, FL

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:58 PM

Nicole,

Welcome to the board! I'm glad you're here!

Your doctor was probably talking about the anti-tTG antibody test. tTG is a normal component of human tissue, so if you are making antibodies against it, you have an autoimmune disorder--celiac disease. Most doctors don't make a final diagnosis based on this test, however. You might want to pursue a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis (though even this is somewhat unreliable--it could come back false-negative, especially if you are already gluten-free), or request a genetic test to verify that you have the troublemaking gene. I would definitely ask the doctor again about which tests he ran. If the gluten-free diet is helping, your doctor's diagnosis is probably accurate, but further testing is available if you desire it.

Good luck!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#3 Nshea

Nshea

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 03:51 AM

Thanks so much for the information! I had the biopsy done shortly after he did the blood work and he said he had found no damage (a good thing deffinetly), but did say that I was most likely positive because of the blood work. He suggested I say on the diet to prevent damage in the long run and to prevent the horrible symptoms I was having. He told me at that time the biopsy was of just a very small area, and it didn't really mean much that it didn't show damage. The diet is deffinetly working for me and I do plan to stay on it for life. It just seems every thing I read says you need to have the damage to confirm it. I've been gluteen free (except for a few mistakes and one time on purpose) for 3 months now and am scheduled to return to the doctors office for a follow up early next month. Thanks again for the information! I'm already finding this web page so very helpful!
Nicole

#4 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2004 - 08:58 AM

When I asked him what the number was he told me but I didn't remember. When I asked him what the normal range was he said to me that in a person without celiac disease the number would be "0".

Is this true? When a person doesn't have celiac disease are their numbers supposed to be 0? The reason I am asking is I finally found my results and all of mine showed up above 0. They are as follows:

Tissue Transglutaminase = 10
ref range (according to lab)
negative - < 20
weak positive - 20-30
strong pos - >30

Antigliadin antibody = 9
< 24 units - negative
24-30 weak positive
>30 monderate to strong positive

Gliadin AB IGA = 7
negative - < 20
weak positive - 20-30
moderate to strong pos - >30

Can anyone fill me in on these numbers? I am more curious than anything, I was diagnosed with celiac disease through enterolab and currently on a gluten-free diet and feeling better. :)

#5 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 09:38 AM

Stacie,

My intuition tells me that the IgA and IgG tests may be non-zero for reasons other than celiac disease, but that the tTG test really ought to come back with a zero if you don't have celiac disease. My feeling is that individuals with non-zero tTG readings should be treated as either already having celiac disease or as being in the process of developing it. This might be a good question to ask Dr. Fine!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#6 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2004 - 09:56 AM

Sarah:

Very good idea, I did just that. I will let you know what he says.

#7 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 03:49 PM

Stacie, Did Dr. Fine ever get back to you regarding the issue of "0" tTg?

Just wondering.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: