16 replies to this topic

#1 daffadilly

daffadilly

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:35 PM

It seems like I am reading that there a few people on here that cannot eat potatoes. I have the same problem along with some other food allergies.

I would be interested in knowing how many of you have a problem with potatoes and if you eat them which ones do you eat & how often & what kind of symptoms do you get.

I seem to do better if I eat the little red potatoes. I go thru spells where I cannot tolerate any to maybe I can eat once a month. I get a pain in my heart or the area of the heart & it feels like I am going to have a heart attack, very weird, but everytime this happens I have eaten a potato. No potatoes, no pains etc.

Forget potato flour, I jsut do nto go there :D

Also when I was a child, if I was at a slumber party and they mixed a bag of fritos with a bag of potato chips and I ate some of both, I got all green in the face kind of sick and once had projectile vomiting, but usually the less dramatic kind, where your mother had to get up in the middle of the night & come pick you up :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:58 PM

I don't have problems with potatoes, but I've seen a few people on here mentioning intolerances to nightshades, which includes potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant. Maybe others that I don't recall.

Found a couple links for you-

http://allergiesexpl...ause-eczema.htm

http://www.nopotato.com/
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#3 Helena

Helena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:00 PM

Potatoes are one of those vegetables that cross react with certain pollens (causing oral allergy syndrome). I used to be fine with cooked potatoes, but now they make my mouth and throat itchy and sometimes cause hives.

There is a connection between latex allergy and potato allergy (similar plant protein.)
positive tTG and antigliadin blood tests for celiac (summer 2006)
positive dietary response

environmental and food allergies.

#4 Debbie65

Debbie65

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:50 PM

Eating even a small amount of potatoes makes me feel overful, bloated and gives me a stomach ache, I´m fine with tomatoes and eggplant though.

Rice also makes me feel this way so maybe I have a problem with some starchy foods.
Diagnosed as an infant failing to thrive 40 years ago. Followed diet for 17 years more or less then quit. 20 odd years later after constant illnesses and reading this forum gone back to gluten-free with my tail between my legs.

#5 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:13 AM

Eating even a small amount of potatoes makes me feel overful, bloated and gives me a stomach ache, I´m fine with tomatoes and eggplant though.

Rice also makes me feel this way so maybe I have a problem with some starchy foods.

Debbie, tomatoes don't give me digestive problems, but they were the cause of my frequent migraines! Are you sure tomatoes are fine for you? Peppers don't give me intestinal problems either, but after eating them, I'll break out on my face with the most awful, pus-filled pimples by the next day. I have my doubts that anybody intolerant to potatoes is truly fine with the other nightshades.

To the original question: Potatoes cause me to have bloating, stomach cramps, diarrhea and joint pain. I find that I can tolerate peeled white potatoes about once a month without problems now.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 Debbie65

Debbie65

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:40 AM

Debbie, tomatoes don't give me digestive problems, but they were the cause of my frequent migraines! Are you sure tomatoes are fine for you? Peppers don't give me intestinal problems either, but after eating them, I'll break out on my face with the most awful, pus-filled pimples by the next day. I have my doubts that anybody intolerant to potatoes is truly fine with the other nightshades.

To the original question: Potatoes cause me to have bloating, stomach cramps, diarrhea and joint pain. I find that I can tolerate peeled white potatoes about once a month without problems now.

You might have a point Ursala, I can´t say I´ve ever had a headache that´s as bad as the migraines my friend suffers but I´ve had a nagging, skull crushing ache all week which I put down to the oppressively humid weather. But I´ve been eating those little cherry toms like sweets I just never made a connection.

Thanks.
Diagnosed as an infant failing to thrive 40 years ago. Followed diet for 17 years more or less then quit. 20 odd years later after constant illnesses and reading this forum gone back to gluten-free with my tail between my legs.

#7 CathieLu

CathieLu

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:43 PM

I get severe stomachaches with a swollen stomach and pain going on for hours after eating potatoes. I read online that the alkaloids in potatoes cause the irritation. I also have a severe reaction to strawberries. I read that it is because strawberries are grown on wheat straw, and contain gluten.

#8 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:48 PM

Potatoes are a nighshade plant, and very high in lectins. Many people have problems with nightshades/lectins.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 JAMR

JAMR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:49 AM

Potatoes are a nighshade plant, and very high in lectins. Many people have problems with nightshades/lectins.

I appear to be gluten intolerant and since removing it from my diet around 2 years ago, I appear to react to other foods as well. In removing gluten I have inadvertantly overdone other foods which appears to have created issues, so now sugars, soy, lactose and posibly nightshades cause problems. I have periods of several months of wellness followed by a few weeks of low energy, flu type symptoms etc. As some of my issues are also gut related I use my stools as an unplesant barometer to what affects me. I have been off nightshades for 2 weeks now and my gut appears better but energy levels are still quie low, skin (always reactive) does appear a bit better, bu overall I was expectinga better reaction after 2 weeks out if nightshades were indeed to problem. Does anyone else have any experience of how long it took to respond to removing nightshades and what the sequence of symptoms are? I would expect gut is first responder followed by energy levels and finally skin. When removing other foods my responses were quicker (except gluten which took quite a few weeks)

#10 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

It is possible you still have a leaky gut from the gluten which is letting other larger food molecules into the blood stream and your body is creating antibodies to them as "non-self". Your first task is to heal your leaky gut with probiotics. I just went to a nutritionist who has prescribed one called VSL#3 - contains 254 billion organisms of seven different pro-biotic strains which I am to take for at least six months. She predicts that once my gut is healed I will be able to add back in some of the foods I am reacting to (still) now, but not those that I am genetically intolerant to.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#11 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:04 PM

I didn't notice potatos giving me a lot of trouble, but tomatos do. My food allergy test showed I was allergic to them and I went nightshade free. When I eat tomatos my stomach burns and I have gasto problems. I tried to eat bread with potato extract and had some mild cramping in my sides. I believe for now they bother me, so I stay away. I can eat sweet potatos without any hard gastro problems.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#12 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:29 PM

Potatoes mess with my gut and head, and sleep. Tomatoes do the same and so do peppers. I never really liked eggplant so am not about to test it. So eggplant goes in my probably a problem list so I avoid it even more than I otherwise would the disgusting yucky stuff.

Intolerances can be temporary or permanent. So if you stay off nightshades for say 6 months or so and then try them again you may be able to deal. Or maybe not, depending on your body. Wee'uns are all individuals.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#13 JAMR

JAMR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:30 PM

It is possible you still have a leaky gut from the gluten which is letting other larger food molecules into the blood stream and your body is creating antibodies to them as "non-self". Your first task is to heal your leaky gut with probiotics. I just went to a nutritionist who has prescribed one called VSL#3 - contains 254 billion organisms of seven different pro-biotic strains which I am to take for at least six months. She predicts that once my gut is healed I will be able to add back in some of the foods I am reacting to (still) now, but not those that I am genetically intolerant to.

Thanks Mushroom, so how do you tell which foods you are genetically intolerant to (like gluten) and those you are not? From my reading, I am assuming that lactose, sugars, candida, nightshades are all temporary, but not sure about soy,

#14 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

Thanks Mushroom, so how do you tell which foods you are genetically intolerant to (like gluten) and those you are not? From my reading, I am assuming that lactose, sugars, candida, nightshades are all temporary, but not sure about soy,

I 'm sorry I really can't answer that question for you. I know for me I tested sensitive to soy and corn on skin prick testing a long time ago and I know that those are probably two genetic intolerances for me. My ancestry is Scots/Welsh so they were not in my genetic background at all. I think that the nightshades, legumes and citrus are recently acquired and might be possible to add back. You may find that all your intolerances are temporary. The only way to find out is to wait a year until you have healed (using the right probiotics and supplements to heal) and then challenge them one at a time.
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#15 JAMR

JAMR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:01 AM

I 'm sorry I really can't answer that question for you. I know for me I tested sensitive to soy and corn on skin prick testing a long time ago and I know that those are probably two genetic intolerances for me. My ancestry is Scots/Welsh so they were not in my genetic background at all. I think that the nightshades, legumes and citrus are recently acquired and might be possible to add back. You may find that all your intolerances are temporary. The only way to find out is to wait a year until you have healed (using the right probiotics and supplements to heal) and then challenge them one at a time.

Thanks Mushroom,
I guess what is puzzling and concerning me is the apparent progression of my food intolerances despite the fact I have been gluten free for 2 years and am presumably healing in some ways. While I have foolish with some other foods and not observing enough rotation in and out of my diet, I was expecting greater tolerance of other suspect foods (soy, sugar, yeast, lactose etc)after this amount of time. I have taken out nightshades fopr the past 2 weeks and although my stool did change I am not feeling that much better and I am considering taking out corn. I suspect this is due to eating cron meal for breakfast most mornings, adding it to my bread, and presumably getting in many othe places as a substitute to wheat. I have read that 2-3 weeks off nightshades should be enough as an elimination. Over the past 3 years (I first took out yeast and sugars to great improvement in health), I have fluctuated between good health and not so good. I have also ended up off lactose, soy, cashew and almonds, most sugars (inc fruits with fructose) and now possibly nightshades and/or corn.

How was your experience as you also appear to have progressed from gluten to various others? Was this just a case of finding foods that you had long standing issues with or was it something that evolved through the healing from being gluten free and perhaps not managing your diet well enough.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: