23 replies to this topic

#16 Tay

Tay

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:37 PM

I believe that peripheral neuropathy can also be caused by Vit. E deficiency.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Tay

Tay

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:03 AM

Can anyone recommend a B complex vitamin supplement that is gluten free? I have the intranasal vitamin B, but it will run out and I would like to take a supplement.

#18 jesscarmel

jesscarmel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:43 AM

the odd thing is though, I've been gluten-free for 6 months and never had this before :unsure: I am v tired though (cos of the thyroid problem) so maybe its that :unsure:

i also only got tingling in my feet and hands AFTER going gluten free....not sure why
Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac
years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

#19 rozaren

rozaren

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:36 PM

:P
Thanks for all the info here - was beginning to think I had diabetes!

---

Life... don't talk to me about life!

#20 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:18 PM

I had this happen a few months ago, I had gotten allergies to the Maine Coon cat we adopted. I was put on Allegra. 1 week after being on the Allegra I noticed my legs felt very strange, pins and needles and almost as if they were falling asleep. I couldn't figure it out, but as I got used to my cat I stopped taking the Allegra, and within 2-3 weeks the feeling went away and never came back...strange.
I did used to get pain in my right knee, prior to diagnosis but since I was gluten free for a few months that went away and I don't think it happens much.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#21 julie5914

julie5914

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:36 AM

I get this, most recently in my left leg. I had a nerve test which showed no damage. My doctor also ran an ANA test for things like schleroderma and the rheumatic diseases to see if this was the cause (he already had diagnosed Reynaud's a while back). I actually think for me it is my muscles tightening over nerves and perhaps a slipped disk in my back.
Blood work positive
Dx with IBS 5 years ago
Dx with Celiac and gluten-free since 6/17/05

#22 Guest_zoomom_*

Guest_zoomom_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:37 PM

I have been dairy free since Oct 06 and gluten-free since Nov 1, 06. My bloating is sooooo much better and I can eat without causing terrible cramping pains. However, in the past 2 weeks my legs have started tingling badly. This gets worse at night to the point it wakes my up often. I see the neuologist and my GI doctor next week, so hopefully they will figure all this out. :unsure:

Robin

#23 ncallier

ncallier

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

I have peripheral neuropathy caused from diabetis and dietary neuropathy due to my body's inability to absorb the B complex vitamins (certainly related to celiac disease). The pins and needles are a symptom of the neuropathy....hands, arms, feet, legs, and even my TONGUE are affected. I have been doing some research on the web about neuropathy and it seems like there are a lot of neurological disorders that are related to the celiac disease. Be sure to have your vitamin B's checked as this is sometimes related to the tingling. By the time, the docs diagnosed me, my villa were really flattened and even tho they did a biopsy, they could tell by just looking at the villa that I had celiac disease, so I have some permanent damage to the villa. I am on monthly B12 shots and take supplements for the other B vitamins. The neuropathy meds that are usually prescribed do not work for me. Currently, the neurologist has me in aquatic therapy and acupuncture. I am not sure that it is helping but at least, I feel like I am doing something for the neuropathy. Good luck to you. Be sure to have your doc run the entire B complex screening. Sometimes, the B12 supplements work but in a lot of cases, it is necessary to take a monthly shot!!

I realize that this is an old thread, but I really need some answers and hope that some of you will read my post and respond. I have recently been diagnosed with celiac disease with numerous symptoms that were misdiagnosed for years. I have had intermittent neuropathy for quite a while, but since adhering to an absolutely gluten free diet (with a possible cross contamination or two), my symptoms seem to have increased exponentially. I had endured undiagnosed dermatitis herpetiformis for over a year which worsened with a gluten free diet, but the absolute worst is this increased neuropathy. Does anyone have any suggestions for improvement other than having a thyroid test and taking B vitamins? Please let me know your thoughts.
English lady

#24 CeliacAndCfsCrusader

CeliacAndCfsCrusader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

I have limited information, but maybe it'll help.

I was in a car accident a few years before my celiac diagnosis. I began to have "sunburn" feeling and red-shading on my feet at first. Then my legs. Then my abdomen.

Ultimately, after nerve conduction studies, many exams (including docs who either said nothing or I should seek psychiatric help, ha!), my wife diagnosed me using Google.

She (and my acupuncturist) indepedently concluded that I "may" have something called Celiac Sprue. Longer story, short, I finally got properly diagnosed.

My symptoms are still evident, even being 100% gluten-free, but I am on a medicine that helps a good deal (effectively masking my symptoms). I take 50 mg of Lyrica, 3 x per day. It's expensive, I've gained weight, but my life is so much better.

Alternatively, there is a generic of a related drug "Gabapentin", but I started to have blurry vision after a couple of months. The Lyrica vision side effects are minor (I might just be getting old).

Anyway, there MIGHT BE relief through pharmacology, if nothing else. Wishing you luck....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: