This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Think I Might Be Casein Intolerant Too :(

mesmerize

mesmerize Apprentice

Brief history: I stopped eating gluten in February 2006, felt wonderful for several weeks, then about three months ago things started going downhill again... constant 'heart flutters', skin breakouts, headaches, tired all the time, etc. Based on the recommendations of several people on this forum, I finally decided to try going casein free too, to see if that would make a difference. Honestly, I was hoping it wouldn't. Being gluten-free has been SO hard, and I can't imagine not eating dairy either for the rest of my life. :(

But I gave it a try... I quit all dairy about a week ago. Within 2 days, my heart flutters completely went away, and my skin is perfectly clear again (for the first time since the first few weeks I was gluten free). So on one hand I guess it's a good thing to figure out what was causing my problems, but I seriously don't know how I'm going to deal with not eating dairy.

More than anything, I just can't figure out WHAT to eat now?? So many of the dairy-free foods I've seen have soy instead, which celiacs are supposed to avoid, right? I just literally feel like there's nothing I can eat now.

How do all you Gluten-free Casein-free people handle this?? Do you eat soy? I could really use some guidance right now. :(

~Sara~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I added too much soy when I went casein free, now I'm off soy for 6 days and still feel sick! So, yea, from my experience, you might not want to switch from dairy to soy, but then again, you may not have a problem with it at all.

I eat whole foods -- meat, chicken, fish, eggs, fruit, vegetables, nuts, potatoes, and rice. Then, if I really feel like a treat, I'll look for something GFCFSF! Last night my dad was here for dinner and we had Namaste brownies made with coconut oil. They were yummy.

Nancym Enthusiast

Soy hurts my tum too.

It takes a whole new way of eating to avoid those. But your friends are meat, fish, poultry, veggies and fruits and eggs (if you're ok with them). SE Asian cuisine is almost completely compatible with my diet so I'm learning lots of Thai and perhaps vietnamese recipes.

When I want something like bread I make a "roll" out of eggs, flax meal and almond meal with baking powder and xanthum gum. I'm pretty pleased with the diet. It keeps my weight under control and is satisfying to me.

AndreaB Contributor

I am soy/gluten and dairy free now.

I use cashews to make a lot of things. Cashew cheese for Mac & Cheese, Coconut oil based butter, banana sorbet for ice cream, there is also rice dream ice cream. Some flavors are not good though...read labels. I'd be glad to repost recipes although I did post them on another thread about dairy free foods.

jnclelland Contributor
I am soy/gluten and dairy free now.

I use cashews to make a lot of things. Cashew cheese for Mac & Cheese, Coconut oil based butter, banana sorbet for ice cream, there is also rice dream ice cream. Some flavors are not good though...read labels. I'd be glad to repost recipes although I did post them on another thread about dairy free foods.

Where do you get cashew cheese and coconut oil-based butter? I'm in the process of giving up soy (been gluten-free/CF for over a year now), and I miss my Earth Balance margarine!!!

Jeanne

AndreaB Contributor

I have recipes in cook books I have. We were formerly vegans, before soy/gluten intolerance.

We used to use Soy Garden by Earth Balance.

emcmaster Collaborator

I guess for the most part, I've stopped trying to replace dairy and have looked for other options.

For example, I used to eat egg whites with a slice of rice or soy cheese crumbled on top. Now I add spinach and Johnny's cajun seasoning to them. I actually like them better this way.

If any recipe calls for cheese, I just skip adding any sort of cheese substitute. If it calls for milk, I use almond milk.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Robert Brown Newbie

I'm feeling your pain, Mesmerize... I'm wondering too.

I've been gluten-free for 2.5 years, but I've still got a lot of GI weirdness going on. Drinking milk -kills- me. Lately I've been using Lactaid, which of course tastes far better than regular milk and has given me less reactions. However, I still don't feel completely normal, if I even know what "normal" is. I may, too, be casein intolerant. I'm really hoping not.

I am the cheese master. Cheese -makes- my life. I consider myself something of a jr. connoiseur. But how on EARTH am I supposed to avoid gluten, soy, AND casein?? Inconcievable! But every other time I run to the restroom, I simply find myself wishing I didn't have to eat.

Rob

mesmerize Apprentice

Thanks for the tips... I guess one of my main problems is that I'm really not a big meat eater at all. I honestly wouldn't mind giving it up altogether, except that meat seems to be one of the only things I can eat now!

I do eat a ton of rice and fruits & veggies... I'm just getting tired of all the same things and need some variety, but I feel like my options are so limited. I'll have to try to find some of the products y'all have mentioned... I've been having Almond Breeze milk on my gluten-free cereal this week and I think it tastes great. So I don't mind giving up milk by itself.

Like Rob said, CHEESE is the one thing I can't imagine life without. Homemade macaroni and cheese has always been my ultimate favorite food, and I even got used to making a gluten-free version with rice pasta. Grrrrrr how I miss the days when I was allowed to eat anything I wanted! :(

Andrea, could you tell me more about cashew cheese? I've never heard of that, what's it like?

~Sara~

AndreaB Contributor
Andrea, could you tell me more about cashew cheese? I've never heard of that, what's it like?

~Sara~

I have a few recipes for cashew cheese.

The first one can be used in pretty much anything. I only use the gel if I want to freeze it. Omit for cheese to make mac & cheese.

Sliceable Cashew Cheese From Five Loaves Deli & Bakery by Neva Brackett

2 cups cashew nuts

3/8 cup emes kosher gel (I’m sure regular gelatin would work)

1 ½ cups boiling water

2 Tbs. Lemon juice

2 Tbs. Yeast flakes (nutritional)

1 Tbs. Salt

1 tsp. Onion powder

½ tsp. Garlic powder

1 Cup Cold water

1. Place all ingredients in the blender except the 1 cup cold water. Turn on and blend for 1 or 2 minutes until very smooth.

Hint: Place a towel over the lid of the blender before turning on. Hot liquids tend to splash out.

2. Add 1 cup cold water, blend briefly and pour into containers of your choice to chill and slice when firm.

Hint: This recipe makes a white cheese resembling Jack cheese. If you want half of it to resemble American cheese in color, pour half of it into a 1 pint mold and blend in ¼ cup pimientos and 1 tsp. paprika to the remainder. This can be frozen, so you might want to make a double recipe and keep it handy for future use, Frozen Cashew Cheese shreds very nicely if you do it while still frozen, and makes a great topping for Pizza. To thaw, set out at room temperature for an hour. Don’t try to thaw it in the microwave--it will melt and not be sliceable.

Prep time: 15 min Chill time: 4 hr or overnight.

Cashew Pimento Cheese (for pizza) From Cooking by the Book by Marcella Lynch

½ c water

½ c cashews

½ tsp. salt

2 tbs. oil

2 ½ tbs. lemon juice

1 4oz jar pimentos

½ tsp. onion salt

½ tsp. garlic salt

1 ½ tbs. nutritional yeast flakes

Whiz all ingredients together in blender until smooth. Drizzle over pizza before baking.

Melted Cheese Sauce (I use with Sliceable cheese w/o gel for mac & cheese)

From Newstart Lifestyle Cookbook by Weimar Institute

2 cups water

¼ cup clean, raw cashews

4 ounce jar pimentos

3 tbs. food yeast flakes

2 tbs. cornstarch or arrowroot

1 tbs. fresh lemon juice

1 ½ tsp. salt

½ tsp. onion flakes or powder

¼ tsp. garlic powder

Process cashews in about ½ cup of the water in a blender until very smooth. Add remaining water and other ingredients and continue blending until very smooth. Simmer in a heavy saucepan until thickened, stirring constantly (5-6 minutes). Pour over vegetables, potatoes, tortilla chips etc.

Variations: for Cheese Fondue or Cheese Spread increase cornstarch or arrowroot to 3 tablespoons.

Nacho Cheese Sauce (also from Newstart)

1 cup clean, raw cashews

1 cup hot water

2 ounce jar pimentos

1 tbs. fresh lemon juice

1 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. salt

½ tsp. garlic powder

½ tsp. paprika

Chili powder to taste

Process cashews and hot water in a blender until very smooth. Add remaining ingredients and continue blending until very smooth. Pour into saucepan and heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Serve over chips, if desired.

jnclelland Contributor
I've been having Almond Breeze milk on my gluten-free cereal this week and I think it tastes great. So I don't mind giving up milk by itself.

FYI, Almond Breeze contains soy. (D'oh!) But Pacific brand almond milk is gluten/dairy/soy-free.

Jeanne

Oooh, the cashew cheese recipes sound yummy - thanks! :)

Jeanne

lorka150 Collaborator

Just so you know, the Uncheese Cookbook is great for making your own cheese. In addition, you don't HAVE to be soy-free if you're fine with it. I'm extremely sensitive to casein (as well as having celiac disease), and I don't eat meat or eggs, so soy is my main protein.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm gluten and casein free, and limit soy, but (unless you're intolerant to soy as well) you don't have to cut it out, I just wouldn't rely on it heavily. I wouldn't search for replacements to everything, just adapt to a different way of eating. I still have a huge variety of foods, but I cook what I eat from fresh produce, meats, gluten-free grains/legumes, and eggs. Tonight was chicken rice soup. Last week included beef stew, chicken stir fry, grilled pork chops and grilled veggies. I've made bean salads, fish soup, shrimp salads, green salads, veggie pasta, lots of fruit, veggies with hummus, etc, etc. There's oodles of things for you to eat - you've only eliminated five (wheat, barley, rye, oats, dairy). The trouble is only that the American diet relies so heavily on those proteins, that you have to get used to something that's different than what you're used to. You can do it with some practice and effort, but it will take some time to make the change.

jenvan Collaborator

Cutting out dairy was so worth missing cheese--even though I miss it more than gluten. :( Below are some of the subs I use:

My favorite gluten-free/cf "butter" alternatives are Earth Balance sticks and spread. Sticks work perfectly as a sub for regular butter in cooking. Both taste great! First and Fifth items on this page: Open Original Shared Link

Good soy yogurt, Whole Soy company. Read the back of the label--it will say gluten-free/cf: Open Original Shared Link

The only gluten-free/cf "cheese" line I've found in stores is Soyco's Vegan line. Nothing cf is going to be the same as real cheese, but this is pretty good. Open Original Shared Link

I also just found this gluten-free/cf soy-based whip cream that is really good! Great Rediwhip substitute: Open Original Shared Link

mesmerize Apprentice
FYI, Almond Breeze contains soy. (D'oh!) But Pacific brand almond milk is gluten/dairy/soy-free.

Jeanne

Oooh, the cashew cheese recipes sound yummy - thanks! :)

Jeanne

yes I know the Almond Breeze has soy... I'm not cutting out soy entirely right now because it doesn't really seem to bother me. I've just read a lot on this forum about it being a good idea to limit soy, so I'm assuming it would be a bad idea to replace lots of things with soy.

I tried the Pacific brand of almond milk too and thought it was kinda icky... sort of has a grainy texture, which I didn't notice with the Almond Breeze. Anyone else notice that?

I'm gluten and casein free, and limit soy, but (unless you're intolerant to soy as well) you don't have to cut it out, I just wouldn't rely on it heavily. I wouldn't search for replacements to everything, just adapt to a different way of eating. I still have a huge variety of foods, but I cook what I eat from fresh produce, meats, gluten-free grains/legumes, and eggs. Tonight was chicken rice soup. Last week included beef stew, chicken stir fry, grilled pork chops and grilled veggies. I've made bean salads, fish soup, shrimp salads, green salads, veggie pasta, lots of fruit, veggies with hummus, etc, etc. There's oodles of things for you to eat - you've only eliminated five (wheat, barley, rye, oats, dairy). The trouble is only that the American diet relies so heavily on those proteins, that you have to get used to something that's different than what you're used to. You can do it with some practice and effort, but it will take some time to make the change.

yea, I'm trying really hard to get used to eating more meat & veggies... Meat just honestly kinda grosses me out most of the time, but I'm working on it. I've never liked most veggies, but I'm trying to experiment a bit now. Thanks for the ideas.

~Sara~

tarnalberry Community Regular
yea, I'm trying really hard to get used to eating more meat & veggies... Meat just honestly kinda grosses me out most of the time, but I'm working on it. I've never liked most veggies, but I'm trying to experiment a bit now. Thanks for the ideas.

~Sara~

my husband (not Gluten-free Casein-free, but eats it at home) isn't a big veggie fan either, but if you find a way of cooking/preparing them, and which ones, you like, it'll be much easier. he's a supertaster, so raw broccoli is never going to fly, nor will most other raw veggies, unless they're very sweet, like red bell peppers. he also has significant texture preferences, so stir-fries have to stay crunchy (the vegetables). spicy works for him, unless it's indian, which he dislikes the taste of... on and on... little things to learn about taste preferences and play with to adapt to make the most out of.

mesmerize Apprentice

Where do you guys find the Earth Balance stuff? I looked for it at the natural foods store that I always go to, and I didn't see it. They have a pretty good selection of most things.

Oh and what's the deal with Smart Balance? I thought I had read that it had casein, but I was looking at it when I was at the store last night, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out where the casein would be. Actually, on the big tub of it I think it listed a dairy ingredient (I forget what), but on the 2-pack of the smaller tubs, that ingredient wasn't there. Anyone know what the deal is there?? I was a little confused.

~Sara~

rinne Apprentice
Like Rob said, CHEESE is the one thing I can't imagine life without. Homemade macaroni and cheese has always been my ultimate favorite food, and I even got used to making a gluten-free version with rice pasta. Grrrrrr how I miss the days when I was allowed to eat anything I wanted!

I am off dairy generally but find that occasionally I can tolerate a little goat cheese, apparently goat and sheep milk cheeses are easier for people with reactions to cow milk to tolerate, and there is a goat cheese cheddar that with the Tinkyada rice noodles is very good.

CarlaB Enthusiast
I am off dairy generally but find that occasionally I can tolerate a little goat cheese, apparently goat and sheep milk cheeses are easier for people with reactions to cow milk to tolerate, and there is a goat cheese cheddar that with the Tinkyada rice noodles is very good.

I have read that goat's milk contains no casein so it's safe for people with casein intolerance. I'm waiting until I feel better for a couple months before I give it a try so that if I have a reaction, I can trace it to the right thing. Right now I'm using rice milk for my coffee, which I rarely drink anymore. I'd try Vance's Dari-Free if anyone around here carried it!!

I just had a breakfast from heaven -- a Kinnikinnick cinnamon raisin bagel, a fried egg, and a cup of coffee. For someone gluten-free, casein-free, soy-free, it was quite the treat! Be careful, not all Kinnikinnick stuff is soy-free. I used Ghee clarified butter on my bagel.

Meat just honestly kinda grosses me out most of the time, but I'm working on it.

I don't particularly like meat, usually because it's too dry, so a juicy steak is great! But, at Wild Oats they carry all kinds of chicken sausage that doesn't have all that bad stuff in it like regular sausage -- most of it is just chicken, veggies, and spices. I read the packages carefully to be sure it doesn't have questionable ingredients, as some do. Last night I cooked chicken sausage, yellow squash, asparagus, broccoli, carrots in olive oil and basil. Then I added it to Tinkiyada penne. It was delicious!!

he's a supertaster, so raw broccoli is never going to fly, nor will most other raw veggies, unless they're very sweet, like red bell peppers.

I never knew there was a connection ... interesting! I guess this explains my dislike for raw veggies. I don't particularly like fruit either, except for strawberries and cantaloupe. But, I eat all of them ... they're not gross to me, I'd just prefer to eat something else. But raw broccoli and cauliflower I take a pass on.

taz sharratt Enthusiast
Brief history: I stopped eating gluten in February 2006, felt wonderful for several weeks, then about three months ago things started going downhill again... constant 'heart flutters', skin breakouts, headaches, tired all the time, etc. Based on the recommendations of several people on this forum, I finally decided to try going casein free too, to see if that would make a difference. Honestly, I was hoping it wouldn't. Being gluten-free has been SO hard, and I can't imagine not eating dairy either for the rest of my life. :(

But I gave it a try... I quit all dairy about a week ago. Within 2 days, my heart flutters completely went away, and my skin is perfectly clear again (for the first time since the first few weeks I was gluten free). So on one hand I guess it's a good thing to figure out what was causing my problems, but I seriously don't know how I'm going to deal with not eating dairy.

More than anything, I just can't figure out WHAT to eat now?? So many of the dairy-free foods I've seen have soy instead, which celiacs are supposed to avoid, right? I just literally feel like there's nothing I can eat now.

How do all you Gluten-free Casein-free people handle this?? Do you eat soy? I could really use some guidance right now. :(

~Sara~

i subed my lactose and casien for nuts, now ive learned that im sesetive to nuts, not allegic but stomach swelling and wind so no mre nuts. i often wonder " can you make yourself allergic to foods that you eat a lot or too much of" wierd question ? :blink:

CarlaB Enthusiast
i subed my lactose and casien for nuts, now ive learned that im sesetive to nuts, not allegic but stomach swelling and wind so no mre nuts. i often wonder " can you make yourself allergic to foods that you eat a lot or too much of" wierd question ? :blink:

I think that with all of our food sensitivities it's good to rotate stuff that's a common allergen. So, if you eat nuts one day, wait four days before you eat them again. You might be able to tolerate them that way. If you can't, then cut them out entirely. I think you can become sensitive eating the same thing every day.

jenvan Collaborator
Where do you guys find the Earth Balance stuff? I looked for it at the natural foods store that I always go to, and I didn't see it. They have a pretty good selection of most things.

Oh and what's the deal with Smart Balance? I thought I had read that it had casein, but I was looking at it when I was at the store last night, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out where the casein would be. Actually, on the big tub of it I think it listed a dairy ingredient (I forget what), but on the 2-pack of the smaller tubs, that ingredient wasn't there. Anyone know what the deal is there?? I was a little confused.

~Sara~

Huh, they have it at my natural food store and I believe at Wild oats too. Maybe you could talk to a manager about carrying it. I don't use a lot of milk subs--but this "butter" works great for cooking and baking as a sub. Other than that I use rice milk on my cereal. Vance's is good for making homemade "icecream" too. I've done that a few times. I forgot to list that. Open Original Shared Link

dionnek Enthusiast

I tried the Pacific brand of almond milk too and thought it was kinda icky... sort of has a grainy texture, which I didn't notice with the Almond Breeze. Anyone else notice that?

~Sara~

rinne Apprentice
I have read that goat's milk contains no casein so it's safe for people with casein intolerance. I'm waiting until I feel better for a couple months before I give it a try so that if I have a reaction, I can trace it to the right thing.

That's good to know, thanks. I am really careful with the amount of goat cheese I eat but just knowing that I can have it makes me feel better. Your meals sound delicious.

CarlaB Enthusiast
That's good to know, thanks. I am really careful with the amount of goat cheese I eat but just knowing that I can have it makes me feel better. Your meals sound delicious.

Be sure you research it! I would hate to give you false information!!

Thanks ... I'm impatient with recipes, so everything I make is made up. After 21 years of cooking for hubby, I'm getting pretty good at it! ;) The trick is being willing to experiment.

Archived