This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Think I Might Be Casein Intolerant Too :(

mesmerize

rinne Apprentice

Okay, research:

Open Original Shared Link

Various reports have indicated that goat milk forms a finer curd than cow milk following acidification, which mimics the conditions in the stomach. These include papers by Jenness (1980) and Haenlein (1992). This difference in curd tension is attributed to the low levels of alpha-s1-casein in goat milk, compared to cow milk. This is a key reason why goat milk is considered more easily digestible than cow milk.

And a good information for not over indulging in goat cheese. :( Oh well, at least a little every now and then. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Interesting! Thanks for posting it!

Mia H Explorer

In my Living Without magazine quick start guide is says:

All bovine milk and milk products contain casein. Avoid foods derived from goat and sheep milk as well as, cow dairy products.

I got excited when I saw that post about goat cheese but it looks like it has casein :angry:

Mia

Nancym Enthusiast

All mammal derived milk has casein proteins. It comes in 15 different varities (of casein) but most of them have more than one kind. I'm as sensitive to goat milk as cow.

mesmerize Apprentice

UGH. Okay, I'm seriously sooo frustrated right now. I quit dairy about 2 weeks ago, and now after over a week of feeling wonderful, having perfectly clear skin, etc., everything seems to be falling apart again. For the past couple days my skin has started breaking out again, I have little red bumps all over my shoulders and back (waaay worse than before I quit dairy), and worst of all I'm having tummy aches constantly!! I'm being SO careful with what I eat, and it seems like I start feeling awful after I eat ANYTHING. I feel like my body's revolting all of a sudden and I can't stop it.

Why would this stuff happen AFTER quitting dairy?! It just doesn't make sense to me!

Mia H Explorer
UGH. Okay, I'm seriously sooo frustrated right now. I quit dairy about 2 weeks ago, and now after over a week of feeling wonderful, having perfectly clear skin, etc., everything seems to be falling apart again. For the past couple days my skin has started breaking out again, I have little red bumps all over my shoulders and back (waaay worse than before I quit dairy), and worst of all I'm having tummy aches constantly!! I'm being SO careful with what I eat, and it seems like I start feeling awful after I eat ANYTHING. I feel like my body's revolting all of a sudden and I can't stop it.

Why would this stuff happen AFTER quitting dairy?! It just doesn't make sense to me!

Maybe it's withdrawal and detoxing. When I quit dairy I had post nasal drip for a week or two, my lymph nodes hurt and my tummy burned. I was starving no matter what I ate. After a week or so it got better. I don't feel hung over every morning now so it's worth it for me.

Mia

mesmerize Apprentice
Maybe it's withdrawal and detoxing. When I quit dairy I had post nasal drip for a week or two, my lymph nodes hurt and my tummy burned. I was starving no matter what I ate. After a week or so it got better. I don't feel hung over every morning now so it's worth it for me.

Mia

Hmmm... I've heard of the "detox" period for gluten, but I wasn't sure if that applied to dairy too. Honestly, I didn't feel sick at all after quitting gluten, so this definitely isn't what I expected with dairy. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived