This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Northern Virginia Gi Doctor?

CantEvenEatRice

CantEvenEatRice Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if someone could recommend a good doctor who is familiar with Celiac in the Northern Virginia area? I was diagnosed with Celiac about 3 years ago, but have since developed so many food interolances. I feel like I get sick from just about everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Do we have any other nova residents on board who can give a recommendation? Please?

I might be moving to nova soon and would also appreciate someone's experience with Celiac docs up there. Thanks.

Guest NancyS

:D Yes! Yes! Yes! :D

I am new to this and have just found out I (probably-although I am certain) have celiac disease. I have been so sick, especially for the last 3 months...I can't seem to recover this time. I happened to meantioned that I can't eat wheat/gluten to some of my friends at work, and they told me another lady at work has this same disease! So, I just spoke with her today and asked for the name of her doctor, here in Northern Virginia.

Here is the info:

Dr. Michael Garone

Gastroenterology Associates of Northern Virginia

(703) 716-8700

The lady at work has already been helped greatly with his help and she is doing great! I just called today and the first appointment for a new patient I could get was Oct. 5th. I am anxious, also, to get help.

Although, with just 2 1/2 weeks of removing gluten from diet and reading every post possible on this site,

I am feeling and bit better, but, mentally I am much better because of all of the great and helpful information from everyone here!

God Bless You All!!!

Thank you!

Nancy

CantEvenEatRice Enthusiast

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I was so hoping that someone would recommend someone. Nancy, were you ever a member of a Chronic Fatigue board? There was a teacher in NOVA named Nancy from another board and I was just curious if it was you? Thanks again for the Dr.'s info!

Guest NancyS
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I was so hoping that someone would recommend someone. Nancy, were you ever a member of a Chronic Fatigue board? There was a teacher in NOVA named Nancy from another board and I was just curious if it was you? Thanks again for the Dr.'s info!

:) Oh my goodness...you are so welcome!

Actually, last night was my first post, because this is brand new to me also. I had seen your post in my own despiration, and it pushed me to contact the lady at work that suffers with the same disease, to ask her of the doctor here in No. VA. So, the thank you should be to YOU! But, I guess that is what it is all about, all of us together, helping each other! You made me feel so good inside. Thank you. And, no, I was never a member of the chronic fatigue board. This is my first experience, but a VERY GOOD one at that.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee let me know how you are and if you called this doctor. And I will let you know my experience, also. But, I feel very positive that he will help us!

happygirl Collaborator

hey nancy-let me add my thanks as well! I will be in touch with both of you when my potential new jobby job works out....i really appreciate you posting!! welcome to the board---this will be a great resource for you and we are happy to have you here.

xoxo

Guest NancyS

Hi Laura,

Thank you for the welcome to this site! I'm soooo happy to be here. :D I feel like I have found my "home" and my "health" here.

I've only been in the No Virginia area for about 4 years, but if you need help in your move to this area, let me know. At least I could try and point you in the right direction!

The good news is a good GI doctor awaits you!

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

hey nancy-where do you live in nova? as a military brat, I lived there twice....once when I was very young and once for four years in elementary school. We still have a lot of family friends there, so we are hoping that it works out. we would be moving to fairfax, near GMU. I'll have to learn the ropes in terms of where to shop for food and such...I think I have multiple food intolerances (dx Celiac for two years, recent new probs, but thats a whole other story) so its looking like I'm going to have to cut out dairy, soy, etc. At least there are Whole Foods up there!!!

this is a great board---i found it a year after being dx (darn it-sure would've made it easier on me) and it has been my resource for all that is gluten free. :) Lots of great people, and almost all the time, you'll get an answer. Sometimes, lots of answers filled with opinions :P, but always answers.

Guest NancyS

Hi Laura,

I live in Sterling, work in Reston, and my parents live in Alexandria...so I am kind of all over the place. You won't be too far in Fairfax, near GMU. I 'm not a military brat, but I have moved alot in my life...my dad liked to change jobs alot. But, basically, I was born and raise in Southern California. This East Coast life is sure different. Although I have pretty much adapted <_< , and like it ok. It is pretty here. And, yes, Whole Foods is a blessing. I have also found spme things at Safeway, believe it or not. And there are a few things at Trader Joes. The hardest thing, is having to shop at so many different stores to find the items needed to complete a meal. Oh well. I am sure I will get use to it. I don't have any choice! When will you be moving here? It'll be good to be able to share things with another person in my area.

Nancy :)

• 2 weeks later...
colleenmc Newbie

Not entirely unrelated, just wanted to mention that the Northern Virginia restaurant chain Great American Restaurants has just completed their gluten free menu for all their sites. This includes Artie's in Fairfax, Mike's American Grill in Alexandria, Silverado in Falls Church, Sweetwater Tavern in Merrifield and Centerville, Carlyle Grand in Shirlington, and Coastal Flats in Fairfax and Tysons. It's not on their web site yet, but they have a laminated copy at each location. It's nice to find a real restaurant that has a gluten free menu, not just the chains.

Open Original Shared Link

happygirl Collaborator

Colleen---Thank you so much for sharing that! I appreciate it!

• 1 month later...
Mountaineer Josh Apprentice

I live in Northern VA too and I drive to Baltimore to see Dr. Alessio Fasano one of the world's top experts on Celiace Disease. He's the director for the Celiac Research Center at the University of Maryland.

Open Original Shared Link

happygirl Collaborator

Josh,

I just moved to Fairfax. I am having issues beyond Celiac at this point, but it is good to know that you have had a seemingly great experience with Dr. Fasano. I have heard wonderful things about him. I heard the head of Alba Therapeutics (the drug company that was started because of Dr. Fasano's research) speak at a support group in Richmond this spring.......talk about inspiring!

Laura

Tim-n-VA Contributor
I just moved to Fairfax.

I live in Burke. If you haven't tried the Wegman's for groceries, I'd recommend it. Their store brands are well labeled for gluten-free. A new Whole Foods is being built in the Fair Lakes area. The Whole Foods in Springfield is a little cramped so I'm hoping the new one will be more spacious.

Can't help with a doctor recommendation. I was diagnosed by a doctor at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda.

happygirl Collaborator

Thanks for the recommendations, Tim! I appreciate it.

Because of my other food intolerances and other health issues, I can't eat any of the pre-made gluten free products anymore. (See my signature). The irony is that I finally move to a place with an abundance of gluten free products......and I can't eat them because of their other ingredients.

I'm now seeing a doc at NIH and John Hopkins (for post-Celiac stuff).

• 3 weeks later...
gandm Newbie

HAPPYGIRL, sounds like your body has refined to a Paleo diet, which many actually decide to go on...without having celiac disease....by choice feeling that is the original diet that our bodies were designed for. That's Paleolithic diet or hunter-gatherer diet. One starter explanation - but there are several - is at: earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html. The Neolithic version adds in cooked grains, dairy, sugars...sort of natural but not original to our human creation. (because, for example, grains weren't edible until man found out about fire and cooking them.) So the purists do without them. Check it out. Maybe your food intake situation will stabilize and then you won't feel so bad, knowing you might actually be quite stylish in some circles with your Paleo diet:)

happygirl Collaborator
HAPPYGIRL, sounds like your body has refined to a Paleo diet, which many actually decide to go on...without having celiac disease....by choice feeling that is the original diet that our bodies were designed for. That's Paleolithic diet or hunter-gatherer diet. One starter explanation - but there are several - is at: earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html. The Neolithic version adds in cooked grains, dairy, sugars...sort of natural but not original to our human creation. (because, for example, grains weren't edible until man found out about fire and cooking them.) So the purists do without them. Check it out. Maybe your food intake situation will stabilize and then you won't feel so bad, knowing you might actually be quite stylish in some circles with your Paleo diet:)

gandm, thank you for your concern, but my issues (it is a long story) are much more detailed than just some foods. I react to almost all. I am being tested for eosinophilic disorders which are related to multiple food intolerances and allergies. I cannot tolerate any legumes/beans, eggs, nuts, and only some veggies/fruits.

Thank you for thinking of me.

GFinVA Newbie

Hello to all the other Northern Virginia people :)

I just had my first appointment with a new GI in Fairfax (in the medical buildings outside Fair Oaks Hospital). He and his nurse were both quite knowledgable about Celiac and related autoimmune disorders. He actually spent almost 45 mintues talking with me and answering my questions and didn't rush me out the door like many doctors do. I would highly recommend him to anyone that is looking for a doctor in the area. His name is Myron Shoham and his phone # is 703-281-1023.

• 4 months later...
JennaB Newbie

YES! Go to www.doctorgi.com and look for Dr. Darren Baroni. He has been WONDERFUL from my first visit! Does anyone know a good Nutritionist in Northern Virginia?

• 7 years later...
RobinsEggBlue Newbie

Josh,

I just moved to Fairfax. I am having issues beyond Celiac at this point, but it is good to know that you have had a seemingly great experience with Dr. Fasano. I have heard wonderful things about him. I heard the head of Alba Therapeutics (the drug company that was started because of Dr. Fasano's research) speak at a support group in Richmond this spring.......talk about inspiring!

Laura

Hi, I was finally diagnosed by Dr. Leila Zachrison in Fairfax after visiting untold numbers of gastroenterologists and told I had IBS. Finally someone who understood and tested me for Celiac. She got to the bottom of all my problems where no other doctor could. She is a traditional M.D. (rheumatologist, internist) but trained in integrative medicine. She and her staff are amazing and can really help you if you have more going on than just celiac. I got to a point where I could no longer work and needed a doctor that took insurance. I found a Dr. Robert Ducati in N. VA not for from Tysons Corner in Merrifield. He is a Functional Medicine doctor, chiropractor and nutritionist! We like him a lot. Not the same as Dr. Z but also very good! I would recommend them both. They will help you get better through diet, supplements, and getting to the root of the problem instead of just writing a prescription. Your visits with them are frequently an hour long, not 10 minutes.

Archived