This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten And Hair Products

M-3 Gal

M-3 Gal Rookie

does anyone know for sure if wheat in hair products cause any problem with gluten and wheat allergy????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jesscarmel Enthusiast

Hi

I do not use any products with gluten (shampoo, face, cream etc...) because if i touch my hair or my face and then touch my food i worry that i could get sick. some people agree with this, some do not. its up to you really.....but i think its easy enough to find products without gluten that its really not an inconveience.

JEss

ravenwoodglass Mentor
does anyone know for sure if wheat in hair products cause any problem with gluten and wheat allergy????

For sure for me it causes problems. I'll lose hair by the handfull and get lots of itchy spots. It can also get gluten in to your system which will impair your bodies healing. You should avoid it in everything you come in contact with.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I have long hair and sometimes get shampoo in my mouth. My husband says, "What, are you like 10 years old getting shampoo in your mouth??" But I do.

jerseyangel Proficient

I play it safe and use only gluten-free personal care products. Shampoo and conditioner can very easily get into your mouth while you're rinsing it off.

Early on, before I knew better, I was using a hair gel that contained wheat starch. I was getting sick every afternoon--I had the stuff all over my hands, rinsed it off, but there was evidently enough left that I was ingesting some. I do tend to bite the sides of my nails, so that's how it got me. The same thing could happen while you are preparing you food, or licking your finger.

I also lost handfuls of hair pre-diagnosis. I really don't know if it was the severe anemia, or the products--in any event, I stopped losing hair at about 4 months gluten-free.

celiacgirls Apprentice

If I use hair products with wheat in them, my head itches.

wacky~jackie Rookie

:o Oh my gosh!!! I have been losing handfuls of hair everytime I shampoo!!! for several years. Thankfully I have very thick hair and it is not noticeable. I can't wait until I've been gluten-free for several months to see if it helps.

By the way, what ingredients do you avoid in hair products??? :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CeliacStinksKLS Newbie

Is Garnier Fructis gluten free? Love them to death.

KLS

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

-

Mia H Explorer

uuuuug, I thought I was safe with Burt's Bees. Couldn't find any gluten or casein in there.

But my head kept itching and had red bumps and it is falling out heavily.

I'm so happy to hear about soy being a possible culprit. The Burt's Bees says "with soy protein" right on the front so I will try something else.

Thank you guys! I thought I was going to go bald soon, now I have hope. I hope its the soy causing the hair loss. I think I will try that Savonnerie (gfsoap.com).

So, if it is the soy causing itching and hair loss, will that mean I'm allergic to soy and should make sure not to eat it?

Thanks again,

Mia

-

jukie Rookie
If so I found MATRIX makes BIOLAGE - HYDRATING SHAMPOO <its safe, no soy, gluten or corn. CONDITIONING BALM < is also safe.

NOT ALL BIOLAGE is safe... They make a color care shampoo its NOT safe.

Was just checking out this shampoo on the Matrix site and drugstore.com (a great place to get ingredients on health and beauty products by the way) and both are showing the hydrating shampoo with wheat...am I looking at the wrong thing???

As if gluten-free isn't hard enough, finding beauty products without soy seems imposible...HELP!!!

jukie -- You are 100% correct and I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing that out. I just went back and edited my post, and threw out another expersive bottle of shampoo. :lol:

Lister Rising Star

anyone know of what gluten can hide under when it comes to shampoo? never found one that says weat or gluten on the list, so not sure if that meens there safe. i know gluten can hide under lots of names for foods is this the same for shampoos/deodarants and such?

CeliacStinksKLS Newbie
Nope

OMG, Garnier Fructis isn't? I don't know what I am going to do now. I have a whole lot of it and it really straightens my hair. :( I do have Nature's Gate at least. I know that's 100% pure.

KLS

jukie Rookie
jukie -- You are 100% correct and I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing that out. I just went back and edited my post, and threw out another expersive bottle of shampoo. :lol: Can you link the site you found the info on?

I read the ingredients over and over when I was at the beauty supply store last year, and never saw the wheat-germ-oil at the very bottom. When I called Matrix last year, or early this year they told me it was free of wheat or gluten.

I'm wondering if they changed the ingredients and I had used the other formula, and now it has wheat-germ-oil in it. Or perhaps they called it something else and it wasn't as noticeable.

:unsure: I'm going back to the drawing board... :angry:

ms sillyak screwed-

Here's the link on the Matrix site...can you believe it even has a picture of wheat right on the website?! They seem to be using the Wheat Germ (along with Aloe Vera and Algae) as marketing tools, so maybe it is newly reformulated.

Open Original Shared Link

BTW, I really appreciate all the research you've shared with us regarding the beauty products and their manufacturers...thanks!

jerseyangel Proficient
OMG, Garnier Fructis isn't? I don't know what I am going to do now. I have a whole lot of it and it really straightens my hair. :( I do have Nature's Gate at least. I know that's 100% pure.

KLS

Relax :) --I have read several times on this board that people use Garnier Fructis--and that it's safe. I don't use it myself, but yesterday I was at CVS, and checked the label of their basic shampoo. I found no gluten containing ingredients on the label. Read the label of the bottles that you have--if necessary, call the 800 number to the company on Monday. I'd be willing to bet they're ok--but of course, when in doubt, always check!

PS--On a personal note--which one straightens your hair?

CeliacStinksKLS Newbie
Relax :) --I have read several times on this board that people use Garnier Fructis--and that it's safe. I don't use it myself, but yesterday I was at CVS, and checked the label of their basic shampoo. I found no gluten containing ingredients on the label. Read the label of the bottles that you have--if necessary, call the 800 number to the company on Monday. I'd be willing to bet they're ok--but of course, when in doubt, always check!

PS--On a personal note--which one straightens your hair?

Oh whew, hope you're right. Yeah. I will definitely call on Monday to double check. :) I use a couple of products of Garnier to straighten my hair - they are - Smoothing Milk and Sleek and Shine - it's more to get rid of frizz though. Then I use a flat iron to straighten it more.

KLS

CeliacStinksKLS Newbie

I am *SO* lucky. I called up Garnier Fructis and they said that all the products that I use by them *ARE* in fact GLUTEN - FREE!!! Yay!!!!!!! I'm so glad I checked. I love their products. (Doing the Happy Hair dance)

:)

KLS :DB)

L.A. Contributor

If you go to the Burt's Bee website and request a list of their gluten free products--I got mine in half hour--they have a great line of gluten-free products...including shampoo

jerseyangel Proficient
I am *SO* lucky. I called up Garnier Fructis and they said that all the products that I use by them *ARE* in fact GLUTEN - FREE!!! Yay!!!!!!! I'm so glad I checked. I love their products. (Doing the Happy Hair dance)

:)

KLS :DB)

I thought so! I'm happy that you're happy :D

mythreesuns Contributor

Ok, um....I still don't know what to avoid. What EXACTLY might be on the label that would lead me to think a beauty product had gluten in it?

(I had thought I'd skip thinking about beauty products until I had food pretty well down, but then in the shower today, I have no idea how it happened, but some water went UP my nose and down my throat while I was rinsing shampoo out of my hair! :blink: )

-

mythreesuns Contributor
Open Original Shared Link

The above link might give you better information to judge for yourself what is in a product.

I'm looking like a diva dummy. :ph34r: I give up!

When I contacted Garnier Fructis a while back they told me they couldn't guarantee their products aren't gluten or, soy free or was not CC.

Thanks!!!

-

Archived