This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

High Cholesterol, Hyperglycemia....

Lauren M

Lauren M Explorer

First of all, I know that many of you are FAR more restricted than I in what you can and cannot eat. However, my health has just really been frustrating me lately. I don't like to complain to my friends and family, b/c I don't like to worry them. So I guess just let me rant away here and let me know if anyone feels the same.

I'm 24 years old. My doctor just called me this morning for the results on some follow-up blood work. My fasting blood sugar has been high, and though I don't have diabetes, it looks like I have hyperglycemia and need to watch my carb intake.

Well anyway, there were no significant changes in my blood sugar levels this time, but for the first time, I had my cholesterol checked. My LDL is 192 and my HDL is 80. I know my HDL (the good kind) is high, which is good, but so is the LDL! I did a little research, and anything about 190 is considered very HIGH risk! Geez, I'm only 24! First osteopenia, then this! The doctor even said he was shocked given my age and lifestyle.

I feel that my diet is already so difficult, and as some of you may know, I've struggled with disordered eating in the past. Today is my 3 year anniversary since I had a pancreatitis attack that nearly killed me, and I still live in fear that I will eat something that will trigger another one. Sorry for all this, I'm just not normally worried about my health, but I just don't know what the heck is going on with me.

- Lauren

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

So sorry you're having a tough time. I've also been in a place (more than once actually) where I've wondered what else can go wrong. I wish I had some great words of wisdom for you, but I'll just have to send my encouragement and empathy. Hang in there!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
First of all, I know that many of you are FAR more restricted than I in what you can and cannot eat. However, my health has just really been frustrating me lately. I don't like to complain to my friends and family, b/c I don't like to worry them. So I guess just let me rant away here and let me know if anyone feels the same.

I'm 24 years old. My doctor just called me this morning for the results on some follow-up blood work. My fasting blood sugar has been high, and though I don't have diabetes, it looks like I have hyperglycemia and need to watch my carb intake.

Well anyway, there were no significant changes in my blood sugar levels this time, but for the first time, I had my cholesterol checked. My LDL is 192 and my HDL is 80. I know my HDL (the good kind) is high, which is good, but so is the LDL! I did a little research, and anything about 190 is considered very HIGH risk! Geez, I'm only 24! First osteopenia, then this! The doctor even said he was shocked given my age and lifestyle.

I feel that my diet is already so difficult, and as some of you may know, I've struggled with disordered eating in the past. Today is my 3 year anniversary since I had a pancreatitis attack that nearly killed me, and I still live in fear that I will eat something that will trigger another one. Sorry for all this, I'm just not normally worried about my health, but I just don't know what the heck is going on with me.

- Lauren

First (((((((hugs)))))) If your doctor has not suggested it you might want to get a blood sugar meter. Check your sugar often for a couple of weeks in the morning and before and after meals. I found that to be the easiest way to tell when I was eating right when they first diagnosed me with diabetes. Make sure when you eat any carbs that you also eat some protein and try to cut down on refined sugars. For me just cutting out fruit juices and sodas helped a great deal as did eating a bit every couple hours and eating a protein snack before bed. If you drink alcohol at all make sure it is with a full meal. You'll get the hang of eating for your blood sugar sooner than you most likely think. Don't be afraid to go to diabetes boards like on WebMD they can be very helpful even if your not a full blown diabetic yet. If you get a handle on your sugar now that may not happen. If you doctor didn't do an A1C test (3 month blood glucose average) you may want to ask for one. You will be shooting for a number under 7 for that. Have him order the test every 3 months for a while till you are confident you have a handle on it. Good luck it can be daunting at first when combined with the celiac but you'll do okay.

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

- Lauren

Hi Lauren,

Just before I knew for sure I had to remove gluten from my diet, I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia. And I felt the way you do, and still do sometimes. I worry that if I don't eat perfectly I'm going to end up with diabetes next. I have read that as your intestine heals, cholesterol levels sometimes rise because you are absorbing fats better. So on the positive side, this may be a sign that you are healing from celiac. And gluten free carbs are often higher in sugars than gluten carbs. It sounds as though you are absorbing better and maybe now you just need to watch the sugar more carefully. Hugs, and hang in there. You will find a way to get it under control.

Sarah

ehrin Explorer

I definitely empathize with you, and am around your age (29).

It sucks every morning when I look at my 3 pill bottles and my insulin pump I wear and say "which first?" I was dxed T1 diabetes at the age of 3 - really this is the least of my problems since I've basically had it my whole life. Diabetes doesn't phase me all that much. When I was 22 my Dr. decided to put me on a statin because my cholesterol was a little high and my fathers side has a strong history of heart problems (he had a heart attack a few years ago). Then last year, at the age of 28, on the same day I was dxed with diabetic gastroparesis and celiac disease. You think, gee, how much worse can this get? Well six months ago I got the call that I have a hyperthyroid...yet another f-ing pill for the rest of my life. That was my breaking point. Seriously if I get another phone call, about another problem, I'm going to need intensive therapy.

So you're not alone, by any means! As a note...I did get my GI Dr to retract the diabetic gastro diagnosis. We now think it was the celiac causing my stomach not to empty. I'll have another endoscopy in a few months to confirm this. Hang in there!

Lauren M Explorer

Thanks so much, you guys are the best.

I know that it could definitely be worse, and I immediately felt guilty posting my complaints about health issues. I actually feel pretty good right now, but it seems like maybe I can't even trust how I "feel" anymore - if the doctors are still saying that I still have various medical issues.

Like I said, I hate to go to my family with this kind of stuff (I'm an only child of over-protective, worry-wart parents - enough said), or my friends (haha ehrin - SO true, I feel old when I have to take a handful of pills and vitamins and such) but I knew you all would understand and relate.

Ravenwoodglass and others who gave advice on the hyperglycemia and blood sugar levels - THANK YOU! I have a nutrionist appointment tomorrow and plan on talking to her more about this, but if anyone else has advice or knowledge to share on hyperglycemia I would really appreciate it! I've always been a carb kinda girl, plus I'm a vegetarian, but I guess I need to be more conscious of getting more protein in my diet!

Thanks again, you don't know how much you all help me!

- Lauren

ehrin Explorer

Hi Lauren -

At least we can still laugh about it, right? :lol:

When we lose that ability, it'll truly be time to worry...but I have no intentions of that!

Anyhow, for hyperglycemia (which is basically what diabetes is, only my pancreas does not work - yours does thankfully!) try researching low glycemic index foods. These foods break down slower into the body and make you feel fuller longer. They also don't produce a blood sugar or insulin spike like high GI foods do. I wont bore the board with the dirty details so try these websites for great info:

Open Original Shared Link (this one is my favorite)

Open Original Shared Link

Good Luck!

Ehrin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 5 weeks later...
deena647 Apprentice
Hi Lauren -

At least we can still laugh about it, right? :lol:

When we lose that ability, it'll truly be time to worry...but I have no intentions of that!

Anyhow, for hyperglycemia (which is basically what diabetes is, only my pancreas does not work - yours does thankfully!) try researching low glycemic index foods. These foods break down slower into the body and make you feel fuller longer. They also don't produce a blood sugar or insulin spike like high GI foods do. I wont bore the board with the dirty details so try these websites for great info:

Open Original Shared Link (this one is my favorite)

Open Original Shared Link

Good Luck!

Ehrin

Hi... I know how you feel about the cholesterol...I have always been thin with a total cholest. (when I was in my early 20's) was 260. I have always had a problem with it and it is derpessing. I have been on meds and they help some. Any way as long as you take care of yourself and have a good Dr. I know you will be ok.

Nancym Enthusiast

I've been really a lot healthier follow a "paleo" diet. There's a book out by the researcher Loren Cordain. Unfortunately all these starches and sugars we're eating all the time are too much for us. At best, humans only had seasonal access to higher carbohydrate food for most of their evolutionary time span. So anyway, this diet focuses on getting back to a diet more like what human kind probably ate before agriculture.

It has really helped me in many ways.

Lauren M Explorer
I've been really a lot healthier follow a "paleo" diet. There's a book out by the researcher Loren Cordain. Unfortunately all these starches and sugars we're eating all the time are too much for us. At best, humans only had seasonal access to higher carbohydrate food for most of their evolutionary time span. So anyway, this diet focuses on getting back to a diet more like what human kind probably ate before agriculture.

It has really helped me in many ways.

Nancy,

Because of the recommendation of so many people on this board, I checked this book out from the library. I didn't finish reading it yet, but I just don't think it would work for me, as I am a vegetarian. I really like the idea of going back to whole, natural foods.... but then that craving for ice cream strikes. And seeing as I need to gain weight anyway, I usually indulge. I do like eggs, cheese, yogurt, etc., but I definitely don't think the paleo diet would work for a vegetarian- even lacto-ovo types.

Does anyone else feel like they NEED at least some starch? I don't know if it's really my body "wanting" balance, but I don't feel well just eating protein either. I crave lots of starches, but I know it's just not good for my hyperglycemia. Ughh, I know I need to take better care of myself, though...

- Lauren

penguin Community Regular
Nancy,

Because of the recommendation of so many people on this board, I checked this book out from the library. I didn't finish reading it yet, but I just don't think it would work for me, as I am a vegetarian. I really like the idea of going back to whole, natural foods.... but then that craving for ice cream strikes. And seeing as I need to gain weight anyway, I usually indulge. I do like eggs, cheese, yogurt, etc., but I definitely don't think the paleo diet would work for a vegetarian- even lacto-ovo types.

Does anyone else feel like they NEED at least some starch? I don't know if it's really my body "wanting" balance, but I don't feel well just eating protein either. I crave lots of starches, but I know it's just not good for my hyperglycemia. Ughh, I know I need to take better care of myself, though...

- Lauren

I have issues if I don't eat starchy stuff at least once a day, worse if I don't eat enough protein.

Lauren M Explorer
I have issues if I don't eat starchy stuff at least once a day, worse if I don't eat enough protein.

But Chelsea - don't you have HYPOglycemia? You need sugar/starch, right?

I have HYPERglycemia. My fasting blood sugar is naturally high, but not so high as to classify for type 1 diabetes.

Either way, hypo-, hyper-, I think it's all about balancing your carbs, proteins, and fats - right? Just maybe at different ratios?

- Lauren

CarlaB Enthusiast

I am reading a book called Tired of Being Tired. It covers many health issues, including blood sugar issues. It's really a comprehensive book, written by a doctor. I HIGHLY recommend it.

I was a vegetarian (holidays and friend's housese excluded, so mostly) for a few years and found I really needed to add back meat. Most of the vegetarian sources of protein are high in carbs as well. I would bet this has something to do with your blood sugar problems. Your body does need starches/carbs, but it also needs protein. When the two are balanced, you won't have blood sugar issues (I know some people are truly diabetic, this is not what I'm talking about).

This is all in the book I mention. I believe the author also wrote another book I read, and in it she mentioned that she used to be a vegetarian ... but I haven't double checked to be sure it's the same author. I'm about 90% sure it is though.

penguin Community Regular
But Chelsea - don't you have HYPOglycemia? You need sugar/starch, right?

I have HYPERglycemia. My fasting blood sugar is naturally high, but not so high as to classify for type 1 diabetes.

Either way, hypo-, hyper-, I think it's all about balancing your carbs, proteins, and fats - right? Just maybe at different ratios?

- Lauren

I have hypOglycemia.

But the treatment for both is the same, you end up with the same kind of diet. You probably have to worry more about your sugar consumption than I do, though. I would have a really rough time balancing out my protein and carbs if I couldn't eat meat or gluten, FWIW.

Nancym Enthusiast

- Lauren

Yeah, it would be tough to do this and be a healthy vegetarian.

I think everyone has cravings for starches and sugars at first. Part of it is habit and lets face it, those foods are damned tasty! But I also think it is a metabolic cycle fueling those cravings too. Every time I get off my diet for awhile, I'm back to the cravings. But once I hop back on and pass a couple of weeks, I'm fine.

I guess one way to think of it is, if you continue to cater to the starches though, you might eventually NEED insulin shots. Boy, you so don't want to get diabetes. It takes an average of 18 years off your life and the quality of life is very degraded. Losing toes, eyesight... it isn't fun.

elye Community Regular
Yeah, it would be tough to do this and be a healthy vegetarian.

I think everyone has cravings for starches and sugars at first. Part of it is habit and lets face it, those foods are damned tasty! But I also think it is a metabolic cycle fueling those cravings too. Every time I get off my diet for awhile, I'm back to the cravings. But once I hop back on and pass a couple of weeks, I'm fine.

I guess one way to think of it is, if you continue to cater to the starches though, you might eventually NEED insulin shots. Boy, you so don't want to get diabetes. It takes an average of 18 years off your life and the quality of life is very degraded. Losing toes, eyesight... it isn't fun.

Yep, it's true...type one diabetes offers a life that is often no picnic. But honestly, if I could trade in either the celiac or the diabetes, I'd choose the celiac in a heartbeat. If you commit to keeping good blood sugar control, you will keep all your toes and your eyesight. Now, mind you I've been type one for thirty-three years, so the diet is deeply entrenched. But I find it easier to eat in this culture and choose blood-sugar healthy foods than to stay safely away from gluten. I never make mistakes and get hidden carbohydrate or sugar from a food, but I sure make mistakes and accidentally injest gluten...

I'll second the notion of always combining protein with carbohydrate...really important for both hypos AND diabetics. I find the carbs in grains make my blood sugar rise more than those found in fruit, funnily enough. So you may want to seriously restrict even rice, buckwheat and the like for a while and see if there is a difference. Hang in there, Lauren! You sound like a really bright star, and you WILL figure it out!

Archived