Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:33 AM

Teff: A small but mighty grain
Healthy kitchen

August 9, 2006

Teff is a tiny, round tan-colored grain crammed full of nutrition. It's the smallest grain in the world, measuring only 1/32 of an inch and taking 150 grains to weigh as much as one grain of wheat.

Although small in size, this miniscule whole grain provides enormous nutrition. Teff is an excellent source of amino acids, most notably lysine, which is usually lacking in other grain foods. This petite grain is also noted for its superior fiber, iron and calcium content. Teff has gained popularity in the whole foods and health foods industries as an alternative grain for persons with gluten sensitivity.

Historically limited to an Ethiopian flatbread or porridge, teff's culinary use is expanding. When baking, teff flour can replace a portion of the wheat flour, nuts or seeds called for in recipes. Teff can also be used as a thickener for soups, stews and gravies and can even be added to stir-fry and casseroles. The grain is sometimes germinated and the sprouts used in salads and on sandwiches.

Teff provides tough nutrition in a small package.

From the registered dietitians at Bloomington Hospital Community Health Education
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:55 AM

Teff: A small but mighty grain
Healthy kitchen

August 9, 2006

Teff is a tiny, round tan-colored grain crammed full of nutrition. It's the smallest grain in the world, measuring only 1/32 of an inch and taking 150 grains to weigh as much as one grain of wheat.

Although small in size, this miniscule whole grain provides enormous nutrition. Teff is an excellent source of amino acids, most notably lysine, which is usually lacking in other grain foods. This petite grain is also noted for its superior fiber, iron and calcium content. Teff has gained popularity in the whole foods and health foods industries as an alternative grain for persons with gluten sensitivity.

Historically limited to an Ethiopian flatbread or porridge, teff's culinary use is expanding. When baking, teff flour can replace a portion of the wheat flour, nuts or seeds called for in recipes. Teff can also be used as a thickener for soups, stews and gravies and can even be added to stir-fry and casseroles. The grain is sometimes germinated and the sprouts used in salads and on sandwiches.

Teff provides tough nutrition in a small package.

From the registered dietitians at Bloomington Hospital Community Health Education

Cool! Never heard of it before - I'll have to keep an eye out for it.....

Thanks!
Karen'
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#3 southgoingzax

southgoingzax

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:49 AM

DO NOT EAT THIS!

As far as I can remember, Teff is an ancient type of wheat - I'll doublecheck to be sure, but I don't think it is gluten-free.

Zax

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:51 AM

DO NOT EAT THIS!

As far as I can remember, Teff is an ancient type of wheat - I'll doublecheck to be sure, but I don't think it is gluten-free.

Zax

It is not an ancient type of wheat, and it is gluten free.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 southgoingzax

southgoingzax

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:53 AM

:blink: My fault...it's a grass, and safe to eat.

#6 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:52 PM

teff is great. i make pancakes/bread/muffins with it and they taste somewhat like graham. it's a good alternative.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#7 evie

evie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:18 PM

teff is great. i make pancakes/bread/muffins with it and they taste somewhat like graham. it's a good alternative.

I have not seen it in (Health food stores) I have been in??
Graham flavor sounds good. Where do you shop? :) evie

#8 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:53 PM

Hi Evie. I get Bob's Red Mill brand - if you have those around you.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#9 Lister

Lister

Sidewalks are for skating

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:08 PM

lorka u ever have problems with cc from bobs red mill? i am neverise about the company since they package raw flower at the same facilitly, but they have so many gluten free cooking things i really want to trust them

#10 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:02 AM

lorka u ever have problems with cc from bobs red mill? i am neverise about the company since they package raw flower at the same facilitly, but they have so many gluten free cooking things i really want to trust them

Bob's Red Mill has a dedicated gluten-free part of their manufacturing plant. If the package says gluten-free, then it is made in this part of the plant. Most of their flours are gluten-free. Soy flour is not - it is made on a separate line from gluten flours, but they made are in the same building so Bob's will not guarantee it's gluten-free. I have never had any problems with their products that are labled gluten-free.
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#11 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

Wow, that's cool! I've only had it in injera, the Ethiopian bread, & that was before I was gluten-free so not really tuned in to its gluten-free status. I REALLY miss that graham flavor, so I'll definitely give it a go.

Leah

Do you use teff alone or mix it with other flours?
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts
And took them clean away.

Diagnosed at age 49 by biopsy 31 May 2006

Learning how to bake those tarts gluten-free!

#12 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:07 AM

kbtoyssni is correct, lister.
for six months i was consuming bob's red mill carob powder and ended up losing about 40lbs and was in the hospital - my levels were insane. little did i know, the carob powder (naturally gluten-free) was made in his gluten-containing facility.

however, everything that is slapped with 'gluten-free' i have never had a problem with. after that instance, i was aware of the two facilities... i didn't really know. i'm very sensitive and never have had an issue since.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#13 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:36 AM

I was thinking about injera & out of curiosity looked up a recipe... sad to say it included all-purpose flour as well as teff. So if anyone was headed out to an Ethiopian restaurant, beware!

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts

#14 hineini

hineini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:02 PM

Teff is gluten-free. It's very very nutritious and tasty.

Injera, the ethiopian flat-bread that most Ethiopian and Eritrean food is served on/with, is made from teff. Traditionally, in Ethiopia, it is made ENTIRELY from teff and is therefore gluten-free.

However, I was very sad to find out from the owner of one of the yummy nearby Ethiopian joints, that in the US most injera is NOT GLUTEN-FREE. The reason, according to her, is that Ethiopia is very hilly and high-altitude, and the fermented teff that injera is made of will rise and become spongy on its own. In the US, which is lower altitude, she says it is necessary to add wheat OR buckwheat to it. She says most Ethiopian restaurants she knows of use multi-purpose (wheat) flour but it would definitely be possible with some other kind of (gluten-free) flour.

I am going to call all the Ethiopian restaurants around here and see if any use buckwheat instead of wheat flour.

I bought some teff flour from her, and she told me how to make a tortilla-like bread out of it that I can bring into the Ethiopian restaurant with me so I can eat it in place of the injera. She said it won't taste entirely the same, but it will be good. Basically you just combine the flour with water until it's a doughy consistency, then flatten it out and place it on a hot griddle (like a corn tortilla).

There are recipes out there for injera using buckwheat pancake mix (!) instead of teff, actually... Try googling it.

Also, apparently you can bake and cook with teff, there are recipes at Bob's Red Mill and other sites.
*Gluten free since 7/06
*Cutting down on soy and dairy since 9/06

#15 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:18 PM

WOW! I just made my first batch of teff muffins (I used the recipe on the Bob's bag with some modifications) & YUM! They really taste earthy & whole-wheaty & just what I was hoping for! I'm thrilled since I had really been missing that flavor. I'm going to experiment next with some yeast breads... I'll let you know how that goes.

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: