This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Gluten Absorbed Through The Skin?

dahams04

dahams04 Apprentice

Just wondering why they cant play with playdoh, is it just the chance of getting it in the mouth or does it get absorbed through the skin? I'm thinking it does, since we have to watch soaps etc. also.. Just wondering. TIA!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

It's because they can get it in their mouth. Think about it ... I know what play-dough, soap, and shampoo taste like!! :rolleyes:

queenofhearts Explorer

There's considerable dispute over this, but the possibility of getting some in the mouth (especially with kids) is so great that you don't want to take the chance, even if it doesn't get through the skin.

My policy is that anything that touches my hands (lotion, sunscreen, &c.) has to be gluten-free, because I sometimes unconsciously touch my lips, & though I do wash my hands carefully before eating I just don't need the worry that anything will slip in as I'm nibbling a cracker or slice of apple....

Leah

Lisa Mentor

I think that Leah is correct. There is must debate. Although, and not the pro on this, but the gluten is either too large or too small to be absorbed through the skin.

The main concern here, is that it is all over the fingers which is so easy to get into your mouth... brushing your hair away from you face, etc.

lovegrov Collaborator

Gluten is NOT absorbed through the skin. The concern is getting it in your mouth.

richard

gf4life Enthusiast

And don't forget the fingernails! It is nearly impossible to keep them trimmed all the time, and it is so easy for the playdough to get stuck there.

You can buy gluten free playdough from Open Original Shared Link

Or you can make your own. I am pretty sure there are a few recipes from homemade gluten-free playdough here in the recipes section. I think I posted one a few weeks back.

Esther Sparhawk Contributor

My three year old got badly glutened from play dough, right after we started the diet, last fall. It was under her fingernails, and she stuck her fingers in her mouth all the time. :blink:

Now we use polymer clay. The product we're using is called Sculpey, and it comes in lots of different colors. You can find out more about it at www.sculpey.com and we've actually emailed them. They claim to be made of actual earth clay products. I didn't see any hidden sources of gluten in the ingredients list that they emailed me, and my daughter hasn't had a reaction to Sculpey. If you keep it in a plastic bag, it lasts pretty long, but keep it outdoors... It can stick to floors worse than play dough does.

If anyone has found Sculpey to cause a reaction, please let me know.

Mechelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nikki2003 Contributor

I was talking to the GI nurse about this yesterday and it doesn't absorb through skin. But they can get it after playing with it and then touching their mouths or hands in their mouth.

taz sharratt Enthusiast
There's considerable dispute over this, but the possibility of getting some in the mouth (especially with kids) is so great that you don't want to take the chance, even if it doesn't get through the skin.

My policy is that anything that touches my hands (lotion, sunscreen, &c.) has to be gluten-free, because I sometimes unconsciously touch my lips, & though I do wash my hands carefully before eating I just don't need the worry that anything will slip in as I'm nibbling a cracker or slice of apple....

Leah

yes deffinatly <_< but what about the dermatitus celiac thing? could that come in to effect here?

Nikki2003 Contributor

What is that?

gfp Enthusiast
Gluten is NOT absorbed through the skin. The concern is getting it in your mouth.

richard

Then what are those creams and body lotions which are "enriched with pure organic wheat protein"

Unless you have any scientifically backed evidence then I would have to say NOT in capitals is a bit too strong.

As I have stated before large molecules like aloe vera and coconut oil are definately adsorbed ...

Scientific studies of many essentail oils have proven that they are not only adsorbed by the body but very quickly. Again these are large and complex molecules. Nicotine.. another large molecule is adsorbed through the skin .. (hard scientific evidence that its absorbed no scientific evidence it helps quit smoking.... )

The fact is I don't know and I have yet to see anyone post scientific evidence to the contrary.

I think that Leah is correct. There is must debate. Although, and not the pro on this, but the gluten is either too large or too small to be absorbed through the skin.

The main concern here, is that it is all over the fingers which is so easy to get into your mouth... brushing your hair away from you face, etc.

I agree... what I haven't seen is

a) A study on gluten adsorbtion through the skin....

B) The effect of even tiny amounts of glaidin transerred to the capillaries directly.

Secondly the fact so many creams and cosmetics actualy add "wheat protein" leads me to think they do it for a reason.. that reason might be completely bogus ... or it might not.

But back to assuming its not.... for now.

Asbestos is not adsorbed by the skin... but would you use it on your skin?

This is all tested since natural talc is high in asbestos ...

Guest nini

it does not absorb through the skin, but the risk is in it being on the hands and getting into the mouth, HOWEVER, in my daughters case, she breaks out in HIVES from head to toe just from touching gluten, we discovered this after she was playing with playdough at preschool... she had hives on her face that caused one of her eyes to swell shut.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Since celiac disease is damage to the intestines and the gluten absorbed through the skin does not necessarily get to the intestines, I believe that's where the theory that it's okay topically comes from.

That being said, I break out in rashes from it. But, I am gluten-intolerant, not celiac, and could it be that I have a secondary allergy to wheat. Obviously, there is much research left to be done on the relationship between gluten intolerance and celiac.

Personally, I stay away from products that have gluten. I won't even cook with it at home. But, I won't go so far as to say that it gets absorbed by the skin. Collagen supposedly doesn't get absorbed by the skin either, maybe it has to do with proteins not being absorbable. Then again, the latest in facial care is Strivectin type products that are based on peptides.

Gosh, the more we learn about it all, the more we realize we do not know.

gfp Enthusiast
Since celiac disease is damage to the intestines and the gluten absorbed through the skin does not necessarily get to the intestines, I believe that's where the theory that it's okay topically comes from.

I agree and that's why I think saying it as defininate is not a good idea IMHO...

I think most people here accept the scientific evidence of damage by gluten OUTSIDE the intenstines. Specifically in the blood brain barrier.

There is an equal line of evidince that lack or mal-functioning zonulin is what causes leaky guy AND crossing the brain-blood barrier.

Obviously, there is much research left to be done on the relationship between gluten intolerance and celiac.
Absolutely...

Personally, I stay away from products that have gluten. I won't even cook with it at home. But, I won't go so far as to say that it gets absorbed by the skin. Collagen supposedly doesn't get absorbed by the skin either, maybe it has to do with proteins not being absorbable. Then again, the latest in facial care is Strivectin type products that are based on peptides.

Gosh, the more we learn about it all, the more we realize we do not know.

Again... agree 100%

The point for me is that the skin is a rather large organ and things like body creams not only get a very large surface area but get used regularly.

Its the regualar thing that worries me.... be it from ingestion or otherwise because i find one of the worst things with celiac is those things you think are safe and fall back on.. foods and otherwise.

A very small regular dose might be just as bad OR worse (IMHO probably much worse) than a infrequent large dose.

queenofhearts Explorer
My three year old got badly glutened from play dough, right after we started the diet, last fall. It was under her fingernails, and she stuck her fingers in her mouth all the time. :blink:

Now we use polymer clay. The product we're using is called Sculpey, and it comes in lots of different colors. You can find out more about it at www.sculpey.com and we've actually emailed them. They claim to be made of actual earth clay products. I didn't see any hidden sources of gluten in the ingredients list that they emailed me, and my daughter hasn't had a reaction to Sculpey. If you keep it in a plastic bag, it lasts pretty long, but keep it outdoors... It can stick to floors worse than play dough does.

If anyone has found Sculpey to cause a reaction, please let me know.

Mechelle

I love Sculpey & I use it a lot in my work, but while it should be completely safe in a gluten sense, it still requires caution because the plasticizers in the clay are really not good for you. Something that is not well understood in art supplies-- things can be marked non-toxic (meaning you don't keel over instantly if you taste it) but repeated exposure can still cause harm over time. If I were you I'd make one of the food-safe, gluten-free playdoughs for any child who is young enough to put fingers in mouth. Also please use care when baking Sculpey (if you do) & if you bake it often, cover the baking dish to prevent plasticizers from building up in your oven. Wouldn't want to trade gluten for dioxins!

Leah

loraleena Contributor

Colorations makes a gluten free playdough that I use with the Early Head Start kids I work with, so I don't get glutened. Everyone says they like the texture more than regular.

Esther Sparhawk Contributor
I love Sculpey & I use it a lot in my work, but while it should be completely safe in a gluten sense, it still requires caution because the plasticizers in the clay are really not good for you. Something that is not well understood in art supplies-- things can be marked non-toxic (meaning you don't keel over instantly if you taste it) but repeated exposure can still cause harm over time. If I were you I'd make one of the food-safe, gluten-free playdoughs for any child who is young enough to put fingers in mouth. Also please use care when baking Sculpey (if you do) & if you bake it often, cover the baking dish to prevent plasticizers from building up in your oven. Wouldn't want to trade gluten for dioxins!

Leah

Holy moses! :o Thanks for the advice! We'll wait a few years to use Sculpey again!

kirst4588 Apprentice

Shoot - I lost my reply half way through - sorry if it posts twice

Long story short...My 4 yr old is gluten intolerant - he's been gluten free for approx 2 yrs

After trying the cryo/freezing; over the counter methods, duct tape (you name it) - I tried Vitamin E on a wart he has on his hand.

He then got, not bums, not hives, more like fifths disease or eczema, ALL over his body...

his behaivor also started to wind up to a point where his dad and I were wondering, "was he glutened"

turns out, the Vitamin E oil is derived from Wheat Germ

OMG, I've been putting gluten on my son for days! On his broken/infected skin!

HELP ME!!!

kirst4588 Apprentice

Hey guys - look at this

Open Original Shared Link

"Gluten is in even in Play-Doh, adhesive on stamps and stickers, and many hygiene products (and can be absorbed through the skin – does not need to be ingested to negatively affect a gluten-sensitive child)."

So Justin, being "gluten intolerant" rather than Celiac (as I later found out through interolab) may be reacting to the Vitamin E I've been putting on him!!

I know people can get crazy supporting arguments with Google searches and it can go on forever - I'm no doctor - but Justin definately seems to be having a reaction of some sort

Just be careful everyone

:-)

Archived