18 replies to this topic

#16 loraleena

loraleena

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:53 AM

Colorations makes a gluten free playdough that I use with the Early Head Start kids I work with, so I don't get glutened. Everyone says they like the texture more than regular.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Esther Sparhawk

Esther Sparhawk

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:24 PM

I love Sculpey & I use it a lot in my work, but while it should be completely safe in a gluten sense, it still requires caution because the plasticizers in the clay are really not good for you. Something that is not well understood in art supplies-- things can be marked non-toxic (meaning you don't keel over instantly if you taste it) but repeated exposure can still cause harm over time. If I were you I'd make one of the food-safe, gluten-free playdoughs for any child who is young enough to put fingers in mouth. Also please use care when baking Sculpey (if you do) & if you bake it often, cover the baking dish to prevent plasticizers from building up in your oven. Wouldn't want to trade gluten for dioxins!

Leah

Holy moses! :o Thanks for the advice! We'll wait a few years to use Sculpey again!

#18 kirst4588

kirst4588

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:27 AM

Shoot - I lost my reply half way through - sorry if it posts twice
Long story short...My 4 yr old is gluten intolerant - he's been gluten free for approx 2 yrs
After trying the cryo/freezing; over the counter methods, duct tape (you name it) - I tried Vitamin E on a wart he has on his hand.
He then got, not bums, not hives, more like fifths disease or eczema, ALL over his body...
his behaivor also started to wind up to a point where his dad and I were wondering, "was he glutened"
turns out, the Vitamin E oil is derived from Wheat Germ
OMG, I've been putting gluten on my son for days! On his broken/infected skin!

HELP ME!!!

#19 kirst4588

kirst4588

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:37 AM

Hey guys - look at this

http://www.tacanow.com/teachers.htm

"Gluten is in even in Play-Doh, adhesive on stamps and stickers, and many hygiene products (and can be absorbed through the skin – does not need to be ingested to negatively affect a gluten-sensitive child)."
So Justin, being "gluten intolerant" rather than Celiac (as I later found out through interolab) may be reacting to the Vitamin E I've been putting on him!!

I know people can get crazy supporting arguments with Google searches and it can go on forever - I'm no doctor - but Justin definately seems to be having a reaction of some sort

Just be careful everyone

:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: