#1 Tavi2

Tavi2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:41 PM

Hi All,

I have a little question to ask. Is soda, coffee, and tea gluten free? I am trying to fiquire out what is making me sick still (The "D" <_< ). I was recently was diagnose with celiac disease and trying to go gluten free.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:41 PM

You can *never* assume that an entire category of food is gluten free. ALWAYS read the labels. Each time, every time.

Some teas have barley or flavors added to them that make them not gluten free. I think we've come across a soda, once, on the board that wasn't - it was an unsual one, and I don't know that I ever saw it personally, but it can potentially hide in the caramel coloring. And flavored coffee can also hide flavoring that is derived from gluten.

Never assume a *type* of food is safe (outside of whole, naturally gluten-free foods that don't *have* ingredients like fruits and vegetables), and *always* read ingredient labels.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 SueC

SueC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:24 PM

Coke and Pepsi products are OK. I have never heard of a ground coffee that has gluten. Be careful of specialty coffee houses as some of thier mixed coffees have gluten added. Most Starbucks drinks are gluten-free.

The same goes for tea. The lipton tea bags are fine as most are. Be careful of exotic teas.

It does get easier with time to figure out this gluten-free stuff. I hope you are feeling better soon.
Sue

Diagnosed April 2005 via bloodwork and endoscopy

4 year old daughter diagnosed March 2006 via bloodwork and endoscopy
She was completely asymptomatic

4 year old also diagnosed with Graves disease Sept 2006

#4 Tavi2

Tavi2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:32 PM

Thank you for the advise. I will have to check all labels before enjoying myself. Better safe than sorry. :)

#5 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

Have you checked all your hygeine products? You must check all your lip gloss/stick. Have you been kissing anyone? Believe it or not, you can be cross-contaminated very easy from your loved ones.
When I first went gluten free I was sensitive to annatto, vinegar, and vanilla. Keep a food diary, because you may have sensitivity to other foods. I am now able to have annatto, distilled vinegar, and I still buy vanilla that is labeled gluten free.
L.
Michigan

#6 LKelly8

LKelly8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:35 PM

Well, just as an example, here's the Publix brand soda gluten-free list from Publix grocery stores -

Regular sodas:
Black Cherry
Cherry
Citrus Hit
Club Soda
Cola
Cream
Ginger Ale
Grape
Lemon Lime
Orange
Raspberry Seltzer
Root Beer

Diet Sodas
Diet/Caffeine free Cola
Diet Cola
Reg/Diet Tonic water

Now you know I'd pick the diet lemon lime soda and drink it right down before double checking the list! I thought for sure it'd be gluten-free. :o Nope.

#7 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:23 PM

I remember hearing that one of the drinks at Starbucks wasn't gluten-free. Maybe Mochachino or something? Java chips or something like that? And Rice Dream rice milk isn't gluten-free. It has barley in it.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#8 Celiac Ninja

Celiac Ninja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

Hi All,

I have a little question to ask. Is soda, coffee, and tea gluten free? I am trying to fiquire out what is making me sick still (The "D" <_< ). I was recently was diagnose with celiac disease and trying to go gluten free.

Thanks

http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html

3) The problem with caramel color is it may or may not contain gluten depending on how it is manufactured. In the USA caramel color must conform with the FDA standard of identity from 21CFR CH.1. This statute says: the color additive caramel is the dark-brown liquid or solid material resulting from the carefully controlled heat treatment of the following food-grade carbohydrates: Dextrose (corn sugar), invert sugar, lactose (milk sugar), malt syrup (usually from barley malt), molasses (from cane), starch hydrolysates and fractions thereof (can include wheat), sucrose (cane or beet). Also, acids, alkalis and salts are listed as additives which may be employed to assist the caramelization process.

Soda gives me problems.
I drink http://www.reedsinc.com/virgils/ Virgil's soda, which is gluten free and doesn't give me problems.
Here's another that doesn't bother me http://www.oogave.com/

#9 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

This thread is six years old and may no longer be accurate.

Carmel color is not a concern for people with Celiac Disease.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: