Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Noisey Stomach

16 posts in this topic

I just wanted to know if anyone else experiences "audible bowel sounds"?

If so, do you know what causes it and should I be worried?

Thank you.

I also have a noisy stomach, I think it's just digestion & nothing to worry about, but that's only a guess.

I did, before going gluten-free. (It took me a while to realize it was gone, since it's not painful, or for me, very loud.) (Note, mine was specifically noise from the intestines, not stomach. My stomach seems to be very shy... ;-) )

I thought it could be digestion too but it started in August 02 when I believe I was in a celiac disease crisis. I thought after going gluten-free the noise would have gone away but it hasn't. I have been gluten-free since Sept 03.

Yes mine is in my intestines, not my stomach and it's pretty loud!

I have rather noisey insides, too. LOL.

At about 4 every morning I wake up with noisy intestinal sounds. It almost sounds and feels like my food is dropping right through me. I'm new to this, Dec. of this year, so I don't know what it is, but I have it too. Don

Audible bowel sounds are often my first clue that I've had a gluten accident, with diarrhea following the next morning. My intestines are no longer noisy unless I've eaten gluten, though they used to gurgle pretty frequently. My stomach only growls when I'm very hungry!

For me, a noisy stomach is the first sign that I've ingested gluten. It doesn't seem to happen to me under normal circumstances. It's usually followed by bloating and gas.

My intestines are very noisy when I am on gluten. As well as very bloated and I am extremely gassy(and it is very painful). This is one of the first things to go away when I am gluten-free, and one of the first to return with a gluten accident. I would think that if you continue to have these noises in your intestines (or stomach) that you may want to consult your doctor about it. You may be getting into a regular source of gluten contamination and not realise it. But I don't think it is supposted to be normal...

Mariann

My intestines ALWAYS make that noise at any time during the day but I notice more at night when I am laying in bed. I am pretty sure I am 100% gluten-free, if I wasn't I would feel it, with doubled over pain, diarrhea, etc....

I have talked to my GASTRO doc and he wants to see me on Feb 5th. The only thing is he is not accepting Dr. Fine's diagnosis. Which I really don't care I know his disgnosis is correct and I will stick to my gluten-free diet.

I don't know if any of you use www.webmd.com but I have in the past especially when checking Celiac Disease. In the search engine I typed Audible Bowel Sounds and it pulled up over 100 links regarding LUPUS! Talk about freaking me out, honestly it made me a little nervous.

This is why I want your opinions, to see if it is normal or worth checking out. Thanks for each reply, I really appreciate it (more than you know) :)

My intestines rumble often also - my naturopath thinks I have a candida problem. Has anyone else had this suggestion made to them?

If you think the celiac disease diet can be rough you should try the B.E.Diet(Body Ecology Diet) This is a very strict diet designed to rid the body of harmful yeast. Most traditional doctors will find this idea laughable but ALL of my symptoms disappear when I am on the B.E.D. However, my will power fails after a few months and the rumbling returns when I add my dark chocolate and Apricot Biscuits back into my diet.

Feel Well and God Bless :D . Su

I have the rumbeling no matter what I eat. . .I don't get sick or anything. If I eat a bigger meal it is louder. .. .I dunno. . .I think it is just the way I am.

-edit-Tonight, I had the rumbeling real bad and got so sick. Maybe I just never thought of being sick and the noise as coinsiding. . .hmmm. . .though, it does happen when I don't get sick, too. I think gf4life is on to something with the dairy. The cold medicene I am on has lactose in it and I took lactaid. . .I usually eat dairy in the day. . .this is all so interesting. . .hahahahaha-edit-

Just curious, but how many of you with the rumbling, noisy tummies are still eating dairy products??

I was thinking about it, and I am casein sensitive as well as gluten intolerant, and I get the rumbling, gassy, bloating and noise when I eat dairy, even while 100% gluten-free.

Any of you still on dairy may want to just do a trial couple of days dairy free.

Mariann

Mariann, excellent point! I am casein-free, but I forget to mention it anymore (can you believe that?!). That may very well be why tummy rumbling is so reliable a predictor of a gluten accident for me!

My celiac husband always had intestinal sounds before going gluten-free; and still has them. My theory is that since he's been undiagnosed for 28 years, he probably has a good amount of villi damage and until that's cleared up he's going to get those rumbles. The rumbles do not result in loose bowel, just noise and some intestinal gas. As the "healthy" mate, I have to admit I get the "gubba-gubba's" as I calll them, every now and then and I am not celiac (as far as I know).

I thought it could be digestion too but it started in August 02 when I believe I was in a celiac disease crisis. I thought after going gluten-free the noise would have gone away but it hasn't. I have been gluten-free since Sept 03.

Yes mine is in my intestines, not my stomach and it's pretty loud!

I was my own walking slap stick comedy for five year olds--really lound, very gasey (but not gas) sounds. Very embarrassing. I"m just now getting diagnosed with Celiac, but in 2007 I cut out dairy and those sounds that plagued me since I was a kid, have almost disappeared. I only get them when I let myself have ice cream.