This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Low White Blood Cell Count

Guest BERNESES

Guest BERNESES

After being sick with nausea, extreme fatigue and diarrhea (among 50 million other things) I found out that I have a very low white blood cell count. Does anyone know what this could be indicative of? Mine is 2.8 on a scale of 4-10 and it's down from above a 6 in january. Kinda freaked out!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular
After being sick with nausea, extreme fatigue and diarrhea (among 50 million other things) I found out that I have a very low white blood cell count. Does anyone know what this could be indicative of? Mine is 2.8 on a scale of 4-10 and it's down from above a 6 in january. Kinda freaked out!

Here is a link from Mayo Clinic on low WBC:

Open Original Shared Link

Possibly you have an infection somewhere causing the low counts. Hope it all gets figured out soon.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Rusla Enthusiast

Low white cell count could be many things one of them being infection.

Rusla

oceangirl Collaborator
Low white cell count could be many things one of them being infection.

Rusla

My wbc is routinely around 3 - 3.8. Has always stirred up a bit of an uproar but dates back to childhood. Check your records from as long ago as you can find them- you may be on the "low" side of things. This is also a documented celiac condition from the medical journals I have read. Feel better!

lisa

mamaw Community Regular

Mine was lower than yours for about two years,doctors just kept saying I must have a low-grade infection that they can't detect. They ran me through tons of testing but I still dont know.... It is scary .hope you find out soon.

blessings

mamaw

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

don't know about the white blood count sorry :( but glad your moving i was wondering about that.

????have a great trip Bev. hope you feel better soon.

read some where your colonoscopy report was good. great news

judy

trents Grand Master

Isn't infection usually associated with high WBC? I work in a healthcare setting and that's what we see, for instance when someone has appendicitis or a UTI. If WBC is low I would suspect some other pathology. Our daughter has aplastic anemia (an autoimmune suppression of the bone marrow) and she often has low WBC. Some medications can cause low WBC such as steroids, i.e., cortisone/prednisone and arthritis meds.

Steve

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular
Isn't infection usually associated with high WBC? I work in a healthcare setting and that's what we see, for instance when someone has appendicitis or a UTI. If WBC is low I would suspect some other pathology. Our daughter has aplastic anemia (an autoimmune suppression of the bone marrow) and she often has low WBC. Some medications can cause low WBC such as steroids, i.e., cortisone/prednisone and arthritis meds.

Steve

I always had thought that infection causes the high WBC. However in the blip from Mayo it says it can also cause low........interesting eh?

-Jessica :rolleyes:

covsooze Enthusiast

I have a low neutrophil count which is something to do with white blood cells. The haematologist has run loads of tests on me over a long period and concluded its 'normal' for me and must be related to the coeliac. She said the important thing is that it reacts correctly eg when I was admitted to the ED last year it was v high and when i was pregnant it was high also. the only way she figured this was looking at my records as far back as they went (which ws a lot of blood tests :o:rolleyes: ), so I agree with Lisa about getting your records checked out. I hope you manage to get to the bottom of it.

• 2 years later...
Barbara A Rookie

When I was newly diagnosed, I also had a low wbc which was due to my malabsorption of iron. After receiving iron intravenously my wbc returned to normal. I am again having a low wbc and they are checking my iron levels.

I am interested if any other people had similar problems. I am worried, as I am reading sometimes a low wbc is a more serious celiac call refractory sprue. Any one know of this??

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I am worried, as I am reading sometimes a low wbc is a more serious celiac call refractory sprue. Any one know of this??

Are you still having celiac related issues? Refractory sprue would cause a continuation of the same GI distress that was seen before diagnosis. If your tummy issues have resolved then it would not be related to refractory sprue.

Mtndog Collaborator
Are you still having celiac related issues? Refractory sprue would cause a continuation of the same GI distress that was seen before diagnosis. If your tummy issues have resolved then it would not be related to refractory sprue.

No- it turned out to be Lyme and 4 co-infections.

Very strange to see my old user name :unsure: :unsure:

Archived