This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sweating While Eating?

Guest Educator

Guest Educator

I know for a fact I have not eaten gluten. I have tested my blood sugar and they are slightly above normal. Everytime I eat anything, not just spicy or hot things, I sweat around my hairline, forehead, T-zone and the back of my neck. I have had severe stomach pain lately, but I do not sweat except at night and when I eat. What is up with this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

I have a friend who sweats when he eats certain foods, like vinegar or spicey things.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I don't know, I always thought I was hot from running around the kitchen cooking for a family of 8!! :P

trents Grand Master

Are you going through the change of life? My wife, who is, sweats at the drop of a hat. Of course, she comes from a family of heavy sweaters but it has gotten worse in middle age. We have a hard time a agreeing on how many covers to put on the bed, where to set the house thermostat at, and whether or not we need to have the air conditioning in the car on. When we were young and first married, it was exactly the opposite: she was always chilled when I was warm or comfortable.

Steve

elonwy Enthusiast

I oddly think I sweat more now that I'm gluten free. Could just be the heat waves though.

Elonwy

Kaycee Collaborator

I know over summer, when it gets hot, and I eat, sometimes I end up sweating, especially with the evening meal. It is not summer here yet, so I won't be able to tell whether being gluten free I will sweat more or less. I know after loosing a bit of weight, the heat does not get to me as much, so I think my sweating was just weight related and eating too much.

Cathy

2kids4me Contributor

Actually it is a medical condition called Gustatory sweating, a collegue of my husband has it - thats' the only reason I know the medical name for it.

Gustatory sweating: Sweating on the forehead, face, scalp, and neck occurring soon after ingesting food. Some gustatory sweating is normal after eating hot, spicy foods. Otherwise, gustatory sweating is most commonly a result of damage to a nerve that goes to the parotid gland, the large salivary gland in the cheek. In this setting, referred to as Frey syndrome, the sweating is usually on one side of the head. Gustatory sweating is also a rare complication of diabetes mellitus. In this case sweating may occur on both sides of the head, with mild or substantial severity.

If you want to find out more about it - just search using those terms.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Educator
Actually it is a medical condition called Gustatory sweating, a collegue of my husband has it - thats' the only reason I know the medical name for it.

If you want to find out more about it - just search using those terms.

Thank you so very much for that piece of information. I looked it up and the information was extremely helpful. Is it the pain of trying to digest food that triggers it or is it simply the type of food? Does this have to do with the Celiac or Diabetes? Thanks again, very helpful.

Lisa Mentor

I also perspire while eating, not at every meal but many. Thanks for the infor.

Lisa

queenofhearts Explorer

I have the opposite problem, eating gives me chills. It seems to be diminishing now that I'm gluten-free though... unless that's just because it's so hot now!

But now that I think of it, hot tea makes me perspire, & it's not just the heat, because coffee doesn't...

2kids4me Contributor
Thank you so very much for that piece of information. I looked it up and the information was extremely helpful. Is it the pain of trying to digest food that triggers it or is it simply the type of food? Does this have to do with the Celiac or Diabetes? Thanks again, very helpful.

It likely has more to do wth the diabetes. This is a link to an article specific to diabetic gustatory sweating:

Open Original Shared Link

EDIT - OK, not sure why the link doesnt work... I have copied and posted the abstract, you can search using the terms: diabetic gustatory sweating to bring up a number of articles

Diabetic Gustatory Sweating

from Southern Medical Journal

Dwight I. Blair, MD, Julius Sagel, MD, Ian Taylor, MD

Abstract and Introduction

Abstract

Gustatory sweating is a potential manifestation of autonomic dysfunction in diabetes. This syndrome is seen in long-standing diabetes and is associated with nephropathy, peripheral neuropathy, and other signs of dysautonomia. Symptoms of profuse head and neck diaphoresis with eating may suggest this clinical diagnosis. We present a patient who had complicated diabetes with symptoms of gustatory sweating and other evidence of dysautonomia. Diagnosis and treatment possibilities are discussed, with a review of the literature and an emphasis on bedside testing.

Introduction

Gustatory sweating is a known manifestation of autonomic dysfunction in diabetes mellitus.[1-5] This syndrome is not only symptomatically disturbing to affected people, but also can affect glycemic control.[1] Recognition of gustatory sweating is significant in that it provides an explanation for the symptoms, indicates possible concurrent diabetic complications, and allows the consideration of specific treatment modalities. Given the nonspecific diagnosis of diabetic gustatory sweating, familiarity with this entity and other manifestations of autonomic dysfunction can help to elucidate the appropriate clinical context.

Gustatory sweating can occur in any individual who has damage to the nerves near the parotid gland (the article explains which nerves better than I can). The damage can be a result of surgery or from neuropathy resulting from (MS, pernicous anemia, diabetes to name only a few)... any disease that can cause nerve issues.

Archived