Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten-free Beer

14 posts in this topic

:D

I recently read that Codex ratings for gluten-free products is gluten content of <20 ppm OR that total nitrogen content is less than .05g/100g on a dry basis. There may not be a lot of dry solids in a beer after evaporation and with filtering of cold beer to clarify perhaps a good portion of the nitrogen containing peptides are removed.

So if a beer manufacturer can test for nitrogen content (perhaps GC/Mass spec or Soxlet extraction ?) and it is less than .05/100g on a dry solids then the product can be rated as "gluten-free". It may not matter that hordein protein is broken down into soluble peptides since the peptides will be the major source of nitrogen and if less than .05/100g, then the product can be rated as gluten-free.

Perhaps with beer formulation and filtering, one can achieve nitrogen content below the standard. A question I would have is how many beers does one have to have before he/she is over the standard. If Heineken USA can provide what the nitrogen content is per beer...... well, that would be helpful.

I have asked Amstel Light if this is how they measured their product to determine that it is below the standard as they have stated and have not received a response yet. When I do I'll share with the message board.

Wayne (Mainer living in exile)

Ads by Google:

I dug this up on Heineken,

3. Is Heineken gluten-free?

Yes, it is. The WHO guideline for gluten-free food is that it must contain less than 0.02% gluten (200mg/l). Heinekens gluten levels are way below this level, at 0.0005% gluten. We recommend that coeliac patients check with their doctor before trying Heineken.

from

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geraint.bevan...s.html#Heineken

You can't get Amstel where I live so I'm focusing on it.

As well, I read a post on another board that it had stated on their FAQ that it is gluten-free and has since removed it. This may be cause for concern.

There was an article on celiac.com on this one recently...

One thing to consider in Heinekin's response is that they can't currently effectively test for barley gluten. There are currently reliable tests for gliandin commercially available, but not horedin. And a study done in a European lab (where they went through the currently very expensive process to identify the horedin) found that the protein was NOT broken down in the process and was present. So I would maintain a "can't be certain" stance on this one, but that's me. ;-) I just wanted to post to make sure people know about the celiac.com home page article on this. (Now that the forum's a bit more separate, I know I don't see the stories unless I go looking...)

What Lab are they talking about? What type of beer?

So Barley Gluten is called Horedin? and is this not what Heineken would test?

What should I do to prove the integrity of information from Hieneken?

Has anyone tried drinking Heineken to see if they react?

If God himself said it was gluten-free I wouldn't believe him but I'm willing to give Heineken a try. I'm going to start to brew my own gluten-free beer regardless. I'd just like to go to a bar again and have a brew out on the deck! That is the only thing that I find difficult to deal with being Celiac. We are so far off from having gluten-free beer available on the major market, especially with the ongoing research that keeps turning up other angels to the debate.

Nathan

Not being a beer fan, I don't know enough to go into it, but here's the link to the article I was referring to:

A Word on Gluten in Beer

I have written three letters to Heineken asking to clarify their testing methods and have not received a response.

My gut tells me that they tested for wheat gluten protein and not barley gluten protein. They don't use wheat in their beer and they tested for contamination of the wheat gluten protein and found only 5 ppm and thus concluded they are gluten-free (thinking that only wheat is the problem).

However, they use barley and my guess is that they never tested for barley gluten protein (hordein) and as such I would recommend that you stay away from their beer or others based on barley.

Heineken, Amstel Light, other barley beers are not gluten free until tests can prove that levels of hordein or residues are below the Codex standard of <20ppm or the WHO standard of <200ppm...... whatever standard you use.

Wayne

Mentor, OH (Mainer living in exile)

:rolleyes:

In this month's "Living Without" magazine, there is an advertisement for a Gluten Free Beer out of a brewery in New York, however, it is like $45 and $60 with shipping for a case. Here is the website http://www.ramapovalleybrewery.com/.

Haven't tried it yet, but am considering it.

Kim

I tried the Ramapo Valley Beer and it was fine (I was never a huge beer person, but it tasted like beer). The problem I had with it was the bottles weren't sealed well and 2 bottles out of 6 leaked beer all over my trunk. (the bottles didn't break, they leaked). Just thought you should know. Kim.

random message about ramapo valley brewery, i live really close by so i went there last night. the bartender said they do NOT sell it at the bar. how weird is that? so the only way i can get it is by ordering it and bringing it home.

i was very disappointed i still can't have a beer at a bar! but i drank some cider somewhere else so it's ok.

Heineken is my beer of choice and beer is the one thing i miss the most. I dont drink much but the fact that i cant drink beer ever is making me want it more. when my symptoms start getting better i may try a Heineken and see what happens. since i am still having symptoms as of now i probably wouldnt be able to tell much.

if anyone has tried Heineken and hasn't had symptoms, please let us know!!

thanks, lillie

i just checked hienikin's web site and they have changed their statement about gluten. it seems they have tested the barley ..and this statement pretty much seems like it would be ok. what do you guys think??

Does Heineken beer contain any gluten?

Heineken is produced from malted barley which by barley's nature contains barley gluten. Traces of gluten can be analysed in beer. There is no maximum limit for beer for "gluten-free". If we apply the limits for food to beer, our beers are far below these limits. For special information check with your General Practitioner.

I don't know about Heineken, but i tried Amstel light yesterday evening. And my reaction is so bad, it's not even funny anymore. I just wanted to post it here, before going to bed, because as soon as i sit up i get stomach ache. Amstel light is definitely not gluten-free. I don't know about Heineken.

Stef

As a former beer drinker this is truly my most difficult switch. I do enjoy wine and hard alcohol and I'm getting to like the ciders but there is nothing like a frosty cold brew :P . Anway, I have tried Heineken quite a few times since going gluten-free and have to say I do not have any problems after drinking, (ie. bloated, etc.) nor do I experience anything the next day. I was diagnosed with a moderate case of celiac (whatever that means) but as a gauge I recall a time eating sashimi with soy sauce that contained wheat and I felt bloated immediately. Additionally, I have tried Amstel Light and felt "puffed up" and bloated almost immediately after drinking the single beer. Once in a while I'll have a Heineken but I'm somewhat wary that it really isn't gluten-free until official confirmation.

Best,

Adam

i drink heinikin all the time now.....one time i had a stomach ache in the morning, but it was probably coincidental.......99% of the time i feel no symptoms whatsoever...

im not sure if its becuz i am not effected by barley or if in fact it really is gluten free..

i will also add...that i never have more than 2 beers in one setting, so it may be different if i was drinking more......