This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rachelville 2

Rachel--24

swittenauer Enthusiast

You have to get your chuckles where you can. I did think the same thing though. Ha!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AndreaB Contributor
So I looked and saw who was on, and it said morganb, carlab, andreab, and luke'smom....we could all be related. (by the way, I have a brother named Luke) It just made me giggle :lol: and I wanted to share

That's funny Morgan :lol:

We need to get our giggles and laughs in. It always helps me be more positive about my day and I'm not even real sick and don't have major reactions to glutening.

For those that do....that is what we are here for. The lighter side (wasn't that a book of poems by.....I forget who....I want to say Sydney Sheldon), to have fun and laughter amongst the tears and hard or not so hard days, from whatever source.

morganb Newbie
That's funny Morgan :lol:

We need to get our giggles and laughs in. It always helps me be more positive about my day and I'm not even real sick and don't have major reactions to glutening.

Yeah, I don't get glutenings either...support the others is the reason to be here. Plus, who wouldn't want to be a part of this cute little town of Rachelville :)

Nice picture Swittenauer

CarlaB Enthusiast
Yeah, I don't get glutenings either...support the others is the reason to be here. Plus, who wouldn't want to be a part of this cute little town of Rachelville :)

Nice picture Swittenauer

Aren't you starting to get some minor symptoms now that you've been gluten-free for a while? At least, that's what I thought you said ... (yea, I'm sitting right next to her, but it's easier to type than talk with this appliance in my mouth!)

penguin Community Regular
The lighter side (wasn't that a book of poems by.....I forget who....I want to say Sydney Sheldon)

It was Shel Silverstein :)

He also wrote Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and the Giving Tree, among others.

My favorite poem of his:

I will not play at tug o' war.

I'd rather play at hug o' war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.

angel-jd1 Community Regular
Jessica,

We need your interests as well unless you just want to be a visitor. :P

I'm not much of a city girl. I'm more of a living out in the country girl. Possibly I'll just come to town for gluten free food occasionally. Maybe I'll live on my own island out in your ocean? I dunno.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

CarlaB Enthusiast

When I was homeschooling I bought a book called "Kid's Funniest Poems" (something like that). It's a hardback book and it is literally worn out from use!!! My kids have several of them memorized! Every kid loves poetry, which was a hard trait to bring out in them since I have little appreciation for it myself!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

morganb Newbie
Aren't you starting to get some minor symptoms now that you've been gluten-free for a while? At least, that's what I thought you said ... (yea, I'm sitting right next to her, but it's easier to type than talk with this appliance in my mouth!)

Yeah, but they're minor like you said.....it's considered nothing compared to these people.

He also wrote Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and the Giving Tree, among others.

I Love Shel Silverstein poems. My Favorite is "Sick"

Sick

by Shel Silverstein

"I cannot go to school today,"

Said little Peggy Ann McKay.

"I have the measles and the mumps,

A gash, a rash and purple bumps.

My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,

I'm going blind in my right eye.

My tonsils are as big as rocks,

I've counted sixteen chicken pox

And there's one more-that's seventeen,

And don't you think my face looks green?

My leg is cut, my eyes are blue,

It might be instamatic flu.

I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,

I'm sure that my left leg is broke-

My hip hurts when I move my chin,

My belly button's caving in,

My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,

My 'pendix pains each time it rains.

My nose is cold, my toes are numb,

I have a sliver in my thumb.

My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,

I hardly whisper when I speak.

My tongue is filling up my mouth,

I think my hair is falling out.

My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,

My temperature is one-o-eight.

My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,

There is a hole inside my ear.

I have a hangnail, and my heart is - what?

What's that? What's that you say?

You say today is...Saturday?

G'bye, I'm going out to play!"

samking72 Rookie

I used to work at a show barn in NY (you know, the stuck-up 14-year-olds and their controlling mothers). Anyway they would go out and spend 60K on a green horse "because he is pretty" and have me work with him. Nothing like getting thrown into fences and puddles for a living! Alot of Quarter horses, Arabs, a Tennesse Walk... gorgeous!!! I love horses! I have to start riding again, I'm going crazy. I stopped 3 years ago after my horse Luke died from colic. Very sad, haven't had the heart to get back in the saddle :(

CarlaB Enthusiast
Yeah, but they're minor like you said.....it's considered nothing compared to these people.

"These people" ???? Does that include me???? Usually that's said in a negative sense, so it's making me laugh (she's sitting there saying "What are you laughing at because I'm literally laughing out loud!).

morganb Newbie

I love that poem....it's in the book Mom was talking about

penguin Community Regular

That's probably my second favorite...

and also the one about the Sarah Synthia Sylvia Stout

Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout

Would not take the garbage out!

She'd scour the pots and scrape the pans,

Candy the yams and spice the hams,

And though her daddy would scream and shout,

She simply would not take the garbage out.

And so it piled up to the ceilings:

Coffee grounds, potato peelings,

Brown bananas, rotten peas,

Chunks of sour cottage cheese.

It filled the can, it covered the floor,

It cracked the window and blocked the door

With bacon rinds and chicken bones,

Drippy ends of ice cream cones,

Prune pits, peach pits, orange peel,

Gloppy glumps of cold oatmeal,

Pizza crusts and withered greens,

Soggy beans and tangerines,

Crusts of black burned buttered toast,

Gristly bits of beefy roasts. . .

The garbage rolled on down the hall,

It raised the roof, it broke the wall. . .

Greasy napkins, cookie crumbs,

Globs of gooey bubble gum,

Cellophane from green baloney,

Rubbery blubbery macaroni,

Peanut butter, caked and dry,

Curdled milk and crusts of pie,

Moldy melons, dried-up mustard,

Eggshells mixed with lemon custard,

Cold french fried and rancid meat,

Yellow lumps of Cream of Wheat.

At last the garbage reached so high

That it finally touched the sky.

And all the neighbors moved away,

And none of her friends would come to play.

And finally Sarah Cynthia Stout said,

"OK, I'll take the garbage out!"

But then, of course, it was too late. . .

The garbage reached across the state,

From New York to the Golden Gate.

And there, in the garbage she did hate,

Poor Sarah met an awful fate,

That I cannot now relate

Because the hour is much too late.

But children, remember Sarah Stout

And always take the garbage out!

morganb Newbie
"These people" ???? Does that include me???? Usually that's said in a negative sense, so it's making me laugh (she's sitting there saying "What are you laughing at because I'm literally laughing out loud!).

yep

AndreaB Contributor

My favorite poem of his:

I will not play at tug o' war.

I'd rather play at hug o' war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.

Thanks Chelsea! That's a good one.

Do you remember Saray Cynthia Syvia Stout would not take the garbage out......or something like that.

I'm not much of a city girl. I'm more of a living out in the country girl. Possibly I'll just come to town for gluten free food occasionally. Maybe I'll live on my own island out in your ocean? I dunno.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Actually we are in the country with a slab of ocean front. We also have a lake and pristine rivers. Those who like to shop and get out go over the hill.....to town. Where else can you find the space for the ample gardens, 100% grass fed beef need lost of pasture as well as dairy cows and we have a 5000 acre horse ranch. Seems to me we should also have free range chickens (for eggs and meat).

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Good Googley mOogley... gimme a job.

I answered Yep to all of the application questions..... am I hired?

:P

AndreaB Contributor

Oh, I remember that one....that's good too.

dlp252 Apprentice

What kind of job would you like? :D I still have to add one of my jobs to my signature...the list keeps growing if you're not careful, lol. :lol:

AndreaB Contributor
I used to work at a show barn in NY (you know, the stuck-up 14-year-olds and their controlling mothers). Anyway they would go out and spend 60K on a green horse "because he is pretty" and have me work with him. Nothing like getting thrown into fences and puddles for a living! Alot of Quarter horses, Arabs, a Tennesse Walk... gorgeous!!! I love horses! I have to start riding again, I'm going crazy. I stopped 3 years ago after my horse Luke died from colic. Very sad, haven't had the heart to get back in the saddle :(

I'm sorry about Luke. :( I gave my horse to my old 4h leader since I couldn't afford to keep her. She foundered pretty bad and I'm assuming she was put down. Not worth the shoe expense to keep an old pasture horse. That would have been about 7 years ago. She was 23. She was 1/2 arab, 1/2 quarter. I've never been on a walker but they are reknowned for a smooth ride....is it true? I started cleaning stalls at a Saddlebred farm when my daughter was about 18 months (for a year). I rode up there a few times. I wasn't used to those guys....she had hot horses although the one I rode was nice and experienced. She wouldn't do anything unless she had too. I did enjoy the time back with the horses although some were quite nasty, probably barn sour for some of them. I got bit a couple times which had never happened before. I remember taking lessons and being told to stick my nose up in the air and look stuck up. :lol: , but yes, I know what you are talking about. I miss my horse riding days but have lost much of my ability over the years.

New horse picture for those that need to refresh.

Thanks Chelsea! That's a good one.

Where else can you find the space for the ample gardens, 100% grass fed beef need lost of pasture as well as dairy cows and we have a 5000 acre horse ranch.

Well with the exception of dairy cows and the 5000 acre horse ranch...........my parents house! ha :P

I'll live on my island, motor boat in for gluten free goodies and conversation. Meanwhile you can visit my lovely island whenever :)

Do you really want all of those free range chickens pooping all over the pristine scenery? :o

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

How about travel agent and barista?

:blink: What a combo there, huh??

AndreaB Contributor
That's probably my second favorite...

and also the one about the Sarah Synthia Sylvia Stout

Thanks for typing that up Chelsea.

I'll have to copy all these poems over to read to the kids.

Maybe I'll have to look at getting some Shel Silverstein books.

dlp252 Apprentice
How about travel agent and barista?

:blink: What a combo there, huh??

Ummm barista...just got back from Starbucks! Oh wait, shhhh, I'm supposed to be eating clean this week. :ph34r:

I suppose we COULD use a travel agent...although it would be tempting to stay in Rachelville forever, there will be times when we need to leave and would need a travel agent. Andrea? :lol:

AndreaB Contributor

You bet! I saw your post down below....I'll copy it over.

Would you like to be listed as jayhawkmom or your name (if name please provide)?

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

You'd need a travel agent, just in case for some unfortunately reason, you had to leave Rachelville. Then the TA could make sure that all your gluten free travel needs are met!!

Would you like to be listed as jayhawkmom or your name (if name please provide)?

OH, my name is Luka.... I live on the 2nd floor

*Giggle* It's Kris. =)

Archived