This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wow...how Many Indiana People Here?

IrishKelly

IrishKelly Contributor

I've been frequently seeing many of you saying your from Indiana...I am too...Crown Point...any takers?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

We just moved from Spencer (outside Bloomington) to Cincinnati. My daughter will be attending IU in the fall.

morganb Newbie
We just moved from Spencer (outside Bloomington) to Cincinnati. My daughter will be attending IU in the fall.

Just in case you didn't know who her daughter was....it's me :D

Gluten Slayer Rookie
I've been frequently seeing many of you saying your from Indiana...I am too...Crown Point...any takers?

Small world, Crown Point here too. Let me know if you find any stores close by that have good gluten-free food!

IrishKelly Contributor

Oh yes, the "Herb Thyme" health food store has plenty of baking products (like flour, chocolate, etc...) and "Wiseway Grocery Store" has a wonderful health food store inside with lots of pre-made items such as chocolate chipe cookies which are sooooo wonderful and they are EVERYTHING free!! They have everything from soups to pizza crusts!! Where do you normally shop?

Gluten Slayer Rookie
Oh yes, the "Herb Thyme" health food store has plenty of baking products (like flour, chocolate, etc...) and "Wiseway Grocery Store" has a wonderful health food store inside with lots of pre-made items such as chocolate chipe cookies which are sooooo wonderful and they are EVERYTHING free!! They have everything from soups to pizza crusts!! Where do you normally shop?

We usually shop at Meijer or Stracks. Wiseway on Main is not far at all, I'll have to check that out.

I just found out about my gluten problem last week so I haven't had a chance to find to many products yet.

Thanks for the tip, looks like a Wiseway run tomorrow!

IrishKelly Contributor

That's funny because i just found out about my gluten problem about 3 weeks ago. Yes, Wiseway has an actual health food "store" inside of the main store...not just a health food "department" inside the store. Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gluten Slayer Rookie

Thanks, I really need to get there. I have been doing ok for the last week but I cheated really bad today. We went to the zoo and I did fine. We brought a lunch I had a ham and cheese on a corn tortilla with some gluten free cheese curls. On the way home we were all hungry and brought home Culvers. I had a big cheeseburger on a regular bun and fries. I feel really guilty! I'll have to get to Wiseway and try to start over I guess. I hope I don't pay to big of a price for that cheeseburger tomorrow! Right now I feel OK. This is really hard I don't know if I can do it!

kabowman Explorer

I'm in Bloomington...

IrishKelly Contributor

It's really hard, but the outcome is sooo worth it. Plus, if you don't mind cooking you can still have pretty much everything you want. Cheseburgers just buy gluten-free buns, pizza just buy gluten-free pizza crust and sauce, tacos use corn tortillas and make your own taco meat seasoning, fry or bake your own french fries, all the gluten-free pasta in the world with homemade meat sauce or meatballs. Steaks, pork chops, chicken (all perdue is gluten-free), etc... If you hate cooking maybe you have a loving family member who can help you out. I will say i completely understand when it comes to going out to eat. My hubby, myself, and the kids went to Outback Steakhouse last week specifically because they have an entire gluten free menu...and it ended up being unavailable at that time!! So, needless to say, i had a plain salad (no croutons) with olive oil, lemons, and salt. Oh well, at least i got out and had a glass of wine :)

morganb Newbie
I'm in Bloomington...

So you were the one that went to Nick's with my Mom :)

• 2 weeks later...
NoGluGirl Contributor
So you were the one that went to Nick's with my Mom :)

morganb,

I am from Indiana, but down south. I am in Evansville. I just started experimenting with diet. It is so much better than relying on tests that are not very accurate. I do not have insurance, so affordability is an issue. I am 23, and have had misery for over ten years! It is difficult having to watch others eat what you cannot, but considering how ill you become, it is really not that worth it! It is better to eat what you tolerate.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

kabowman Explorer

I haven't had lunch with your mom yet but the place was my suggestion. We have a tenative date set for the next time she is back in B-town!

NoGluGirl - I did the diet first, refused testing but agreed to a biopsy, which was negative. I actually told my doc that I refused to do a gluten challenge for testing and was happy that I felt better. She was fine with that and now that I have been gluten-free (and all the other stuff is fixed) for a while, really don't miss a positive DX for celiac disease.

seacdfriend Newbie

Indiana born. Lafayette actually. Had severe seasonal allergies and have been in Seattle since 86. Havent been back there since the late 70's. Headed back to Illinois in Nov to attend a B.B. King concert with my older sister.

Seeking out those with Celiac at our church here in Seattle. Having ideas of a WF/gluten-free community dinner in the future there.

I like the chocolate quote by the way.....mostly because I like chocolate!

Be enocouraged!

Guest Norah022

I am in Greencastle at DePauw University...I am originally from Massachusetts where it is a lot easier to find gluten free food...Having a very very hard time in greencastle.

ladybugpumpkin Contributor

i'm also from bloomington!

• 2 weeks later...
AudraB Newbie

I am in Anderson. I don't have a diagnosis yet but am almost positive I have it. I am pretty sure I have DH on my behind as we speak! New to all of this and not real happy about it! Any support would be appreciated! :o

jenvan Collaborator
I am in Greencastle at DePauw University...I am originally from Massachusetts where it is a lot easier to find gluten free food...Having a very very hard time in greencastle.

Hey--I went to dpu ! Graduated in '01. Do you have a car? You're only an hour from Indy and you could come in to stock up on some things. Where are you living on campus?

PS: I'm in Indy :)

I am in Anderson. I don't have a diagnosis yet but am almost positive I have it. I am pretty sure I have DH on my behind as we speak! New to all of this and not real happy about it! Any support would be appreciated! :o

I know another new Celiac in Anderson... She comes down to Indy periodically to do shopping... Says there's not much in town there :( Do you have ingredient lists? These great lists are really helpful in shopping, to see what is safe and what isn't. https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12 Any specific things you are struggling with?

PS: If any of you would be making a trip to Indy--I think I am going to have a local gluten-free pitch-in this fall. If you'd be interested, send me your e-mail...

• 1 year later...
prettyXmuchXrad Newbie

I'm in Fort Wayne. Anybody else from up north?

• 2 weeks later...
Carol the Dabbler Apprentice

I'm an hour southeast of Indy -- out in the boonies!

Archived