This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sooo Sick

TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Today I went to my mothers house as we do every Sunday during the summer. We had our usual cookout. Todays menu consisited of london broil (marinated), broccoli salad (I made that), fresh corn on the cob and thats it. Earlier I had carrots with veggie dip that i eat all the time, and pistachios.

That being said, it wasnt a half hour after dinner, the rumblings began. I rushed to the bathroom.. the pain was awful, felt like my stomach was being ripped out. I could feel my lower stomach rumble and bubble with the gas.

We left there quickly, good thing I only live 2 minutes from her. I barely made it in the door. I was upstairs laying in bed wishing for a quick death! The agony. Boy after a few months of being realtively gluten free (just CC issues here and there), this was awful.

I ended up having to take some heavy duty pain meds to help. So the pain eventually subsided a bit, but the D and vomiting are still bad!! I cant believe this! I cant win! Yes I am having a pity party.. Thanks for listening

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

queenofhearts Explorer

Are you sure it was gluten? I had a bout of food poisoning recently that was pretty similar in effect. Or is your mom one of the ones who doesn't believe in cc, that sort of thing?

Leah

Oh! And I just remembered, years ago I got food poisoning from some raw broccoli. I'd never heard of such a thing but I was told... how do I put this delicately... sometimes the field hygiene is not so good...

Leah

AndreaB Contributor

Was the meat marinated in soy sauce? It could have had wheat in it.

Yes I am pretty sure it was gluten. All the signs are here. And I still feel absolutely awful.

The meat was marinated in soy sauce. It was La Choy, which is gluten free.

My question is, Hormel Bacon Bits? Are they gluten free?

And another question... is the cooking spray Pam gluten free? My boyfriend wants to know that. We currently use Mazola Pure and are quite happy with that. Just curious.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Yes I am pretty sure it was gluten. All the signs are here. And I still feel absolutely awful.

The meat was marinated in soy sauce. It was La Choy, which is gluten free.

My question is, Hormel Bacon Bits? Are they gluten free?

And another question... is the cooking spray Pam gluten free? My boyfriend wants to know that. We currently use Mazola Pure and are quite happy with that. Just curious.

Stephanie

I'm so sorry about your illness :ph34r:

I have read that there are 'proablems' with some baccon bits but not sure of hormel. do you have the delphi list might ck there.

i use canola oil spray from Acme and it's ok.

Have you had the La Choy marinade before. not sure about it.

don't have the list in front of me at 4:10 am ;) but if you don't have the list, let me know and i'll look it up in am.

judy in philly

Actually I dont have a copy of the Delphi list.. I would appreciate any help

penguin Community Regular

According to the Hormel web site, Bacon Bits are gluten-free. Pam is gluten-free, based on the label, it's a ConAgra company and they clearly label. The one that isn't gluten-free is obviously the baking one with flour in it.

Do they grill anything with gluten (burger buns, for example) on the grill?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

steph

glad someone helped just came on the ck on you

just got up

are you ok with 'SOY'? FORGET??

i can't do the anymore.

judy in philly

Guest nini

I thinnnk i got gllutened last niiihte too. I'm note feeling so good righwwwtt dnow

daaantg it can't tyape

russell Newbie

<_< I had similar symptoms and got a hint from someone on this forum that they had figured out corn was the problem. So I got off off corn and thank them every day. I used to eat corn on the cob and 30 minutes later I ran to the toilet. Hope this helps. Russell

Today I went to my mothers house as we do every Sunday during the summer. We had our usual cookout. Todays menu consisited of london broil (marinated), broccoli salad (I made that), fresh corn on the cob and thats it. Earlier I had carrots with veggie dip that i eat all the time, and pistachios.

That being said, it wasnt a half hour after dinner, the rumblings began. I rushed to the bathroom.. the pain was awful, felt like my stomach was being ripped out. I could feel my lower stomach rumble and bubble with the gas.

We left there quickly, good thing I only live 2 minutes from her. I barely made it in the door. I was upstairs laying in bed wishing for a quick death! The agony. Boy after a few months of being realtively gluten free (just CC issues here and there), this was awful.

I ended up having to take some heavy duty pain meds to help. So the pain eventually subsided a bit, but the D and vomiting are still bad!! I cant believe this! I cant win! Yes I am having a pity party.. Thanks for listening

<_< I had similar symptoms and got a hint from someone on this forum that they had figured out corn was the problem. So I got off off corn and thank them every day. I used to eat corn on the cob and 30 minutes later I ran to the toilet. Hope this helps. Russell Also this includes corn starch, etc corn syrup which is in ice cream, most soda pops: read all the labels.
Guest nini
I thinnnk i got gllutened last niiihte too. I'm note feeling so good righwwwtt dnow

daaantg it can't tyape

ok, I'm doing a little better although it's taking me forevver to type and keep making mistakes)

I hate it when this happens.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Gosh guys, my buds are all 'getting the gluten' :angry:

Robbin did a post were she is so sick too.

don't have any answers as usual, but lots of love and hugs

judy in philly

lorka150 Collaborator

Are the London Broils gluten-free? My mom's butcher has confirmed that hers are, but they are wrapped with bacon.

chgomom Enthusiast

Hey mee too tonight...I just posted about my woes....

I swaer sometimes you try try try and think you're doing all the right stuff...and you get your rear end kicked. I would look at what was in the marinade....check the oil or any vinegar....

Sorry you're feeling bad

KerriAnne Rookie

Sorry you're so sick!!!

As for Pam (original), I stopped using it because it has "grain alcohol" in it. I'm not entirely certain if that is a problem, but it seems like it would be. I switched to Mazola and have been fine with it.

Good luck recovering!!!

lorka150 Collaborator

pam is gluten-free. i used to use it way when when i first went gluten-free and called. the grain is not wheat/rye/barley/oats derived. i believe it was corn, but i know it is gluten-free.

eKatherine Rookie
Are the London Broils gluten-free? My mom's butcher has confirmed that hers are, but they are wrapped with bacon.

Beef should be gluten-free, as long as they don't cross-contaminate it with stuffing or breading used in the area - which can very well happen. Bacon and marinade can be a problem. If you want something like this, you should probably buy some beef and bacon you know are safe and put it together it at home. I prefer a dry rub to a marinade. It leaves all the beef flavor while adding savory seasoning.

rinne Apprentice

Grain alcohol is a problem, even very small quantities - less than 1/4 teaspoon, for me. I know they say it shouldn't be but it is.

I'm sorry you got glutened, feeling that way myself. :(

Thank you everyone. Today I still feel yucky, very tired out, and just blah. But I am doing better than yesterday. The marinade my mom used was sesame oil and soy sauce (la choy) The only other thing we can think of is that my mom cleaned the grates on the grill with Easy Off oven cleaner. Would this do it?

And I did eat corn on the cob too. It finally was a good one this year! I dont seem to have trouble with any other type of corn, as in from a can or frozen.

wacky~jackie Rookie

I'm a newbie and I have a question about being glutened. Do you have immediate symptoms - while you're eating- or does it take awhile? I was at a family reunion and ate something that I thought would be gluten-free and was eating it very slowly. I started having stomach pains and rumbling. Is this "normal"? (I know that's a relative term) ;)

Archived