This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Glutened Myself :(

Guest AutumnE

Guest AutumnE

Here I have been trying to be so good about staying from gluten products. Im really paying attention to labels and having different condiments than my hubby.

I go to the health food store and was buying up a storm spent over $105 :o That stuff is pricey when you buy it in bulk. I bought these veggie chips, they were in the gluten free section obviously accidentally. Of course I read every other item I bought but this one and I eat it tonight about 2 cups worth before realizing.

Im now sitting at the computer trying to stay awake and focus because I feel like I have been drugged and I know diarrhea is to come! Im at home alone with my 2 year old which makes me nervous with me feeling so spacey with no one to call since dh is at work. Thankfully its her bedtime soon and she is being entertained by a barney dvd. I feel like such a crappy mom and such an idiot to just pick up something and eat it. :angry:

Im about in tears because I feel so crappy, I did this to myself and here I am trying to stay healthy for a year to give her a brother or sister and I just mucked it up again :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

you are not a bad person for doing this, i have done this way too many times, and i am an 'expert' at this diet, practice makes perfect and you will get over the symptoms soon and feel better!

hope you feel ebtter soon and get a good nice long sleep tonight!

Guest AutumnE

Thank you :D I hope she falls asleep soon, Im so out of it. Seriously, Im so dizzy. It must have been quite an amount of gluten in there. Have a good night :)

mythreesuns Contributor

I'm so sorry! Being fresh off the diarrhea roller coaster, I can relate. I hope you feel better today.

Don't beat yourself up over this. Everyone I've talked to says it's so hard in the beginning that you WILL slip up now and again. Expect it, learn from it, and don't buy those chips again. :)

swittenauer Enthusiast

How are you feeling now? How did your night go?

no-lemming Newbie

:blink: Me too........I am at work and newly diagnosed. I glutened myself today, by accident. I too feel really badly and am in the monosyllabic stage.......

I have a fundraiser in less than three hours and am also bloating to beat the band!!!

Don't feel too badly about this....I thnk that it may happen from time to time.

Hang in there.............I will too!

Adriane

covsooze Enthusiast

Autumn, I expect most of us can say 'been there, done that, got the t-shirt.' ;) I reckon I've been glutened about 3 times since going gluten-free, and they've all been silly mistakes. Just concentrate on feeling better :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

no-lemming Newbie

:blink: Well.......I am new to this whole experience, but I have the feeling that this will not be a good day............

I have a meet and greet fundraiser and need to be able to speak more than two words to these folks..........talk about feeling foggy and lloking like a great white beluga whale!

I am trying.................

I guess I need to re-read Emerson

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. (Ralph Waldo Emerson) sg"

Autumn, I expect most of us can say 'been there, done that, got the t-shirt.' ;) I reckon I've been glutened about 3 times since going gluten-free, and they've all been silly mistakes. Just concentrate on feeling better :)
penguin Community Regular
:blink: Well.......I am new to this whole experience, but I have the feeling that this will not be a good day............

I have a meet and greet fundraiser and need to be able to speak more than two words to these folks..........talk about feeling foggy and lloking like a great white beluga whale!

I am trying.................

I guess I need to re-read Emerson

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. (Ralph Waldo Emerson) sg"

Try drinking a Red Bull, I find it helps with the brain fog after a glutening :)

Yes, it's gluten-free. It's also chock-full of b-vitamins

Guest AutumnE

Thanks everyone :D

Im feeling loads better today. Thankfully within a half hour last night of me getting off the internet she went to sleep. I had to get up a few times with upset stomach but this morning I was alot better. She slept 11 hours so it helped me feel more rested.

Im still a bit tired but its way better. I definitely learned to pay attention to every detail no matter what. I dont want to feel that way again. I have already cut out restaurants and eating at other houses also. I either eat before I come or bring a dish myself.

Adriane- Im sorry you had a time today too. I hope you feel better soon.

thanks for the information about the red bull. I should get some and keep it around the house.

Guhlia Rising Star

Yes, Red Bull is a lifesaver. Propel fitness water seems to help too. I take both when I've been glutened. I take a Red Bull as soon as I realize it, and then I drink Propel only until I begin to feel better. This seems to make the glutenings much easier to handle. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Guest AutumnE

Thanks so much for the info, Im going to buy red bull and propel tomorrow. I wonder why it works? Im feeling really yucky tonight again and I didnt eat anything I shouldnt have and I was careful about cross contamination today also. :(

How long do gluten effects take to get out of the body? Would diarrhea return after being okay all day and come back tonight? I have already had it 4 times tonight! Plus Im tired but Im not sure about that one since I have no brain fog tonight and I have been up for 14 hours and had a busy, busy day. :)

Guhlia-Wow you daughter reminds me so much of my daughter, wish I knew how to post a pic!

daffadilly Apprentice

Guhlia re daughter's photo, I am continuously amazed when I see these photos on the boards that they all look like they could be in my family. I have the blue eyes, very fair skin & used to have brown hair with red highlights, now it is mostly silver :blink: others in my family have the blue eyes, reddish hair, or blonde, especially when they are young. There is no telling how many of us are really distant cousins etc. Anyone here on the DNA genealogy data base?

Guest AutumnE

Sorry it took so long to reply back, Our computer is messed up completely. Dh was on some questionable websites and gave us something wrong with our computer. We have to reformat it now :rolleyes: It kicks me off the internet so I have to restart the computer every couple of minutes and we have dial up so it takes forever.

Anyways :) We have a very mixed ethnic background. Im on my mothers side french, english, and irish.

On my fathers side we have cherokee( I'm 1/8th),russian, irish and german which traced back to the mayflower in hesse germany. I'm not sure of any family member having anything similar to me at all. Even my mom, dad, and sister show no signs of it Im hoping my dd wont either.

We have a variety of looks in our family. I have brown-red hair as an adult and it was strawberry blonde as a child, olive complexion, and green eyes . My sister has blonde hair and blue eyes and has always been that way. My dad looks irish mostly but very little hair at all due to cherokee (im the same way hardly any hair on my body at all) but seven of his siblings look very strong cherokee roots and the rest took after my irish grandma. My husband is scottish but my dd didnt take after him at all. Her hair is blonde, olive skin but a little darker than mine ( she has a dark tan instantly with even 50 spf which I put on liberally), and blue eyes. What nationality are you where you believe celiac came in through?

penguin Community Regular

Ireland, Italy, and the Scandanavian countries are the biggest, I think

Guest AutumnE

Well Irish fits :) Thanks!

daffadilly Apprentice

Mine came from Irish/ English, McCann & Webb (father side)- I have two DQ1 genes & can pinpoint celiac on both sides of the family. Mother side is English & a mix of Northern European.

I have a half sister that is about 1/4 Cherokee, I think that is how it goes, anyway her father was 1/2 Cherokee. I think it is sad that she does not embrace that heritage, but one of her main hobbies is pottery :D The Cherokee have a very gentle peaceful nature, it is noticeable. But, she cannot drink alcohol. I always attribute that to her Cherokee genes. I think she is one of the few people in my family that does not have celiac.

PJKR Newbie

PJKR here I've been gluten-free for about 4 yrs and I still make mistakes. Mostly I get nailed with barley/malt and not checking the update pages. Duncan Hines frosting got me really good! I remember going through my healthfood store a few times muttering,"Wheat free isn't gluten free" to myself. I can be sick for up to a week and get real cranky! I also have gotten sick and tore through labels only to find out I was just sick and it had nothing to do with gluten.

Um I kind of noticed a certain look was on this board before I decided to sign up. I'm tall (for a Celiac especially)5'9"/slender/reddish blonde/blue. My kids are also tall/skinny/blonde/blue and green.the oldest child has ADHD and my youngest has Asbergers. My dad (100% Czech) is where I believe I picked it up from. He has had all the same symptoms I do,diabetes is rampant on that side of the family, they look like me and they are all thin until they're 40 or so then suddenly start compulsively overeating and are always tired and hungry. I'm just shy of 40 so I'm glad I figured out they might be compensation eating? (Some Celiacs get obese from their body trying to get enough nutrition by constantly making them ravenously hungry!)

My mom has fibromyalgia and epilepsy but tested neg for Celiac. She's adopted but is French/Jap? She has lighter hair(blonde as a kid) and slanted brown eyes (no fold)and is fairly tall(5'6").PJ

daffadilly Apprentice

PJKR, about your mom testing negative. She might have gotten a false negative test. I suggest the gene test thru Enterolab.com

I have read a lot about epilepsy & the gluten-free diet helping some of them, especially if your mom has DQ1 genes, which is a lot of neuro symptoms.

Going on the gluten-free diet is really the best test,

& yes I wholeheartedly agree about the overeating to compensate for what the body is not getting, we have that in our family. It also amazes me that when you go gluten-free those crazy food cravings go away. Although we cannot have all the wheaty things & more for a lot of us that are also off dairy or corn etc., it is like your body is in such a calm peaceful state that you do not miss any of those foods.

PJKR Newbie

Daffy, I wondered if my mom might have had a false neg. My dad wont get tested and my mom definalty wont get re-tested so I'm probably going to end up getting tested for the gene if I just have to know.Honestly I really don't. Either way, the end result is going to be the same. My youngest and I do not do well eating gluten at all and need to keep a few other foods very moderate.

Most of my family is in medicine(Four MDs,quite a few RNs,some physical therapists, hospice/home health etc...) so I really have a grasp of what a DX can do for you.( Not much but raise your health insurance rates above already over inflated prices or you're cancelled AND rejected for new insurance under the "pre-exsisting condition" B.S. they pull. ) Drs and the RNs helping them, rarely if ever listen and most aren't too hot at looking beyond the most obvious/typical symptoms like it's a contest to see if it's "real". Sick is sick. They might just label you a generic NOS and some vague "we really don't know" condition like IBS and send you with a vague list of things that may/may not work and will probably be so off base you will feel worse.A good Dr or nurse will tell you to listen to your body and do what you think is best for yourself anyway.

My son and I feel so much better off gluten. My family and I are so happy my chronic stomachaces with the depressing bloating(always a flattering look) and no more depression medication/depression are the norm FINALLY! Despite having to watch what I eat I feel like a well person and that is worth it's weight in gold! PJ

(Off soap box now!) Looking at the pics tho it's not a wonder if this thing is genetically based! LOL!PJ

taz sharratt Enthusiast
Here I have been trying to be so good about staying from gluten products. Im really paying attention to labels and having different condiments than my hubby.

I go to the health food store and was buying up a storm spent over $105 :o That stuff is pricey when you buy it in bulk. I bought these veggie chips, they were in the gluten free section obviously accidentally. Of course I read every other item I bought but this one and I eat it tonight about 2 cups worth before realizing.

Im now sitting at the computer trying to stay awake and focus because I feel like I have been drugged and I know diarrhea is to come! Im at home alone with my 2 year old which makes me nervous with me feeling so spacey with no one to call since dh is at work. Thankfully its her bedtime soon and she is being entertained by a barney dvd. I feel like such a crappy mom and such an idiot to just pick up something and eat it. :angry:

Im about in tears because I feel so crappy, I did this to myself and here I am trying to stay healthy for a year to give her a brother or sister and I just mucked it up again :(

dont be hard on yourself you are only human. i glutend myself once and my kids had sweets and choc for breakfast as i was ill to even get out of bed. chill out :D

imsohungry Collaborator

Taz,

They probably enjoyed that breakfast more than anything you would have cooked them! :D

Autumn,

I did something similar one time. I went to Whole Foods and bought a whole buggy full of wonderful gluten-free foods (and like you, spent over $100...it adds up so fast!) :rolleyes: Anyway, got home and was half-way through a box of deli-type crackers and realized they had an ingredient I needed to "verify." Anyway, long story short, I was glutened. It's interesting that you describe it like being drugged. That is exactly how I feel when glutened. It's like someone has injected a sedative into me (like before surgery) and is asking me to count down backwards from 10, but before I get done counting I'm either asleep, dizzy, or have a migraine. <_< On another note, I'm sure your child enjoyed Barney and the extra TV time! :) You sound like a great mother to be so concerned.

-Julie

Archived