This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Biopsy And Colonoscopy At The Same Time...

Chelle15

Chelle15 Apprentice

I am having a colonoscopy and endoscopy at the same time next tuesday. Just curious if anyone else has had this done? I am very glad they are taking care of both of them at the same time. I am assuming I will be completely knocked out. Hope so... Stories to share?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Yep--I had both done on the same day last year.

I was so nervous beforehand--but I shouldn't have worried! I was completely out for the procedures--I actually remember nothing at all after they put the sedative in my IV.

I woke up feeling fine--a little groggy at first. Had some juice (I was pretty thirsty), got dressed and (shouldn't have done this) stopped at Whole Foods with my husband on the way home :ph34r:

You will do fine--the prep the day before is by far the worst of it! Good luck :)

queenofhearts Explorer

I had them both at once & glad I did since the prep is way worse than the procedure! They knocked me out, but I'd ask to be sure, since procedures might vary. My only side effect was a headache which was as likely the result of the dehydration & low blood sugar of the prep as from the anesthesia, but who knows. Didn't last long. I had absolutely NO discomfort on either end, which really surprised me! I thought sure I'd have a sore throat at least but no. Hope your experience is as good!

Leah

Chelle15 Apprentice

Yeah, I could not believe that you have to go over 24 hours before the procedure without eating. My appt. just got changed to the morning, but it was the afternoon at like 1 or 2. I already have plans to order pizza that evening! 24 hours is a long time not to eat. Everybody is like, oh, no big deal. You'll be fine. Not to mention what I must drink. what flavor did you guys get?

Thanks! I will make sure they knock me out cold!

par18 Apprentice
I am having a colonoscopy and endoscopy at the same time next tuesday. Just curious if anyone else has had this done? I am very glad they are taking care of both of them at the same time. I am assuming I will be completely knocked out. Hope so... Stories to share?

I had both done. I thought the procedure including the IV was fine. The IV actually relaxed me.

I had to edit this post. I must be suffering from ADD. I had completely forgotten about the wonderful beverage necessary for a "clear" examination area.

Tom

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I had both done on the same day also. Like Leah said, the prep is worse than the procedure. I HIGHLY recommend getting some of the "wet" toilet paper or wet flushable wipes. Your bottom gets sooo sore from going and going.

The big joke everybody liked to tell me before my scopes was "make sure to request that they do the upper first" to which I would say "why?" and they would say "well you know they use the same scope for both, I'd rather have it go down my throat 1st then up the other.....rather than up the other and THEN down my throat" :o I found it funny the 1st time.........after that ......not so much :P

I was very tired after my scopes. I was also very very very sick during that time. All I wanted to do was come home and sleep. Sleep is exactly what I did for the rest of the day.

They do pump you full of air during the lower....so be expecting to be full of "gas" after. This is normal.

Try not to stress..........it's a simple procedure and you will be fine.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Chelle15 Apprentice
I had both done on the same day also. Like Leah said, the prep is worse than the procedure. I HIGHLY recommend getting some of the "wet" toilet paper or wet flushable wipes. Your bottom gets sooo sore from going and going.

The big joke everybody liked to tell me before my scopes was "make sure to request that they do the upper first" to which I would say "why?" and they would say "well you know they use the same scope for both, I'd rather have it go down my throat 1st then up the other.....rather than up the other and THEN down my throat" :o I found it funny the 1st time.........after that ......not so much :P

I was very tired after my scopes. I was also very very very sick during that time. All I wanted to do was come home and sleep. Sleep is exactly what I did for the rest of the day.

They do pump you full of air during the lower....so be expecting to be full of "gas" after. This is normal.

Try not to stress..........it's a simple procedure and you will be fine.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

THANK YOU! I am not too worried and I really am glad that they are doing them together. So much preparation to do, so it is nice to just get them both out of the way. I had my wisdom teeth extracted and I believe I woke up in the middle of it. I guess that is why it freaks me out. However waking up to them ripping your teeth out I guess would be a little more upsetting than these procedures. I did have a sigmoidoscopy done and they give you NOTHING! It was one of the worst things ever. I was in pain and kept feeling like I desparatly(sp?) needed to go to the bathroom, but couldn't. So I just want to be knocked out! Good idea, I will be picking up some "wet toilet paper".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

crambers Newbie

I had both done 2 weeks ago. I'm going in for my follow up in a little while. Anyways, I heard the same jokes and everyone told me horror stories about going and going. I had about 7 trips to the bathroom total...guess I have strong muscles or the drugs don't work on me (another problem I have).

As for drinks, don't go with the lemon/lime gatorade! I highly don't recommend getting it. The magnesium stuff only came in lemon/salt flavor (I swear, it tasted like the beginnings of a tequila shot) and you have to drink the whole bottle. I just about threw up as soon as I tried the lemon/lime gatorade. Instead, we (my fiance has to put up with all of this) mixed a bottle of blue gatorade (no idea the flavor) with Propel water by gatorade. The fruity flavor (not citrus) stayed down. The only problem I remember encountering other than the drink was trying to drink the whole bottle of Mirolax and the gatorade combo. My tummy wasn't emptying as quick as I was filling. I had to ease off and drink it over the entire time period allowed rather than forcing 1 glass every 10 minutes.

As for the procedure, I was terrified cause my mom and fiance were not allowed in the back room with me. My mom told me a little trick, though (she has a hole in her colon, so lots of practice with the colonoscopy), make sure to tell the anestesia (sp?) person that you have a headache. I had a horrible one because of not eating much the day before and waiting until 12:30 for my procedure the next morning and came out with no headache. Watch what you eat afterwards though. By dinner, I'd developed some clear signs that my body was tired and in more pain than I thought. I did pain pills for 1 day, got really sick the next day and stopped taking them, and felt normal on day 3.

Don't expect results fast...that's my other piece of advice. I did and still haven't gotten any. I had such a bad migrain this past weekend and after feeling poo-y for the past 2 weeks, finally put myself on an early version of the gluten free diet. I'm on day 3 and feeling good. Maybe I'll get some info from the dr today!

GOOD LUCK!

bklynceliac Apprentice

I had them both done in on sitting too, and the prep is absolutely the worst of it. Make sure you start early in the day! I was told to begin drinking the mixture of evil around 5pm for a 10am procedure the next morning and was up half the night running to the bathroom. The only thing I can recommend for the prep is get a couple of different mixers. I had two kinds of clear gatorade (berry and lime, i think), and they both tasted lousy, but at least in different ways. Better to have variation if you know it's gonna taste not so hot.

While you shouldn't be concerned about the procedures at all, I would make sure they will be putting you completely out. It sounds obvious, but they don't always do it. And while I agree with what all have said, do expect some discomfort afterwards. Nothing awful, but grogginess, a scratchy throat, and a somewhat sore belly were all present for 24-48 hours for me. Nothing to worry about, but I think it's important to have realistic expectations.

queenofhearts Explorer

I truly did not have sore throat or tummy or anything but headache, but I was very groggy. Forgot to mention that one! Sorry!

Leah

dlp252 Apprentice

I had both done at the same time in April. I don't remember a thing except having the IV put in and getting wheeled into the room. Afterwards they wheeled me into a recovery room, where my mom was waiting. Don't remember too much about that...apparently I was there for 30 minutes...appearing to be awake and talking to my mom and the nurse, but don't remember any of it. My mom said I asked the nurse the same question three times and she answered it three time, but not only do I not remember what the answer was, I can't even remember what was so important that I asked three times, lol. :lol: I finally did come out of it enough to be released, and barely remember the ride home. :lol: Felt fine the rest of the day, just tired, so plan on resting afterwards...the nurse asked my mom to stay with me for a couple of hours to make sure I could function, but it wasn't necessary. I had no restriction on diet, so was able to eat what I felt like afterwards.

Oh, did have a very slight sore throat afterwards, but it wasn't bad at all...hardly noticable.

Nic Collaborator
I had about 7 trips to the bathroom total...guess I have strong muscles or the drugs don't work on me (another problem I have).

My poor son was 4 when we had to bring him for his colonoscopy. The prep was awful. Especially since after drinking all of that stuff, he did not poop at all. Not even once. The doctor was shocked and said give him more. He had the dose for a 7-12 year old and still nothing. Poor thing, they were only able to get part way through he was so backed up. He did have gas afterward but came home feeling fine if just a little tired.

Good luck.

Nicole

Archived