This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Testing Questions For 2 Yr Old Dd

sashabetty

sashabetty Explorer

My 2 yr old started having symptoms at 14 months, and after 3 months of symptoms the peditrician suggested we go gluten-free. Instant change, so that was reason enough to suspect Celiac.

I had been told that the testing would require scope and I was not ready to do at that time. Didn't get info on blood testing. Now that I have more info and she is older, I want to pursue testing.

But we have been gluten-free for about 9 months, though there is the possibility that she was getting some cross-contamination from cast-iron pans and a few wooden implements (still figuring all of this out!), she has had some symptoms lately that make me think that she could have gotten some gluten.

So I don't know if a blood test would show any antibodies at this point.

And I keep reading about how only 5 labs are accurate for blood tests, which labs?

And how do I make sure that the right tests are done, what should they be testing for?

If I have to put my DD back on gluten, for how long, and how much gluten?

This is hard because I don't want to make her sick if I can help it, but for preschool and with the constant battle with my family over food when DD goes to their houses, it would help to have a concrete diagnosis.

Thanks!

S. Johnson

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

A number of months and a fair amount of gluten. I've heard numbers on the length of time from one month to six months, and the amount of gluten from one slice of bread a day to a normal diet's worth. I'm sure others will add more, I just wanted to let you know it's not "a slice of bread the day before the test".

Boojca Apprentice

My 2 1/2 year old was just diagnosed in June. He had his blood tested first, and it was sent to the Mayo Clinic. The results were back within a week. He then had the endoscopy, which frankly was a breeze and WAY easier than the blood draw! They knock them out at that age, so he had no idea anything even happened. In fact, on the way home he wanted McDonald's. Sigh. I know they have to be consuming gluten prior to the blood test to have it be accurate, but I have no idea for how long. You could go to www.mayoclinic.com and email them? Your daughter should also be consuming gluten prior to the endoscopy, otherwise the intestine could have healed and no damage will be seen.

Bridget

Archived