#1 mythreesuns

mythreesuns

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

Just asking....

I went out to dinner tonight and now I'm kind of bloaty. I knew I shouldn't have eaten out but it was nice to catch up with an old friend.

I'm sure there was something in something that I ate...milk or gluten.
Toni

Casein free since June 2006.
Gluten free since August 2006
Egg and Soy free since October 2006.

Diagnosis of IBS May 2006.
Diagnosis of Fibromyalgia September 2006.

Negative biopsy and blood tests.
EnterLab results:
Gluten intolerance
Egg intolerance
Soy intolerance
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5) which means I have one celiac gene and one sensitivity gene.

Mother of three special boys. (and not just because of their dx's)

Married 13 years to a guy who wishes we weren't all so "special!"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:40 PM

Wine does not contain gluten. The really cheap stuff that you get in grocery stores thats "peach flavored" or whatever and wine in a box, maybe those have gluten ingredients, but if you were out at dinner, chances are that's not what you had :)
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,074 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:06 PM

Plain wine is fine, even the cheap plonk in the box. Any time you add flavor to anything you need to look at what has been added, since there could be gluten in it. But wine is okay. Enjoy!
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 mythreesuns

mythreesuns

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:26 PM

Plain wine is fine, even the cheap plonk in the box. Any time you add flavor to anything you need to look at what has been added, since there could be gluten in it. But wine is okay. Enjoy!

Hmmm....so if it was an Red Apple Wine drink with more than just wine in it I may be in trouble? :unsure: (where's the guilty face? LOL)
Toni

EnterLab results:
Gluten intolerance
Egg intolerance
Soy intolerance
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5) which means I have one celiac gene and one sensitivity gene.

#5 emcmaster

emcmaster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:25 PM

Hmmm....so if it was an Red Apple Wine drink with more than just wine in it I may be in trouble? :unsure: (where's the guilty face? LOL)

Yep. It was likely some kind of syrup they put in it, not the wine itself.

I'm actually drinking a glass of pinot noir right now - thank goodness wine is gluten-free!
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free

#6 mythreesuns

mythreesuns

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:34 PM

Yep. It was likely some kind of syrup they put in it, not the wine itself.

I'm actually drinking a glass of pinot noir right now - thank goodness wine is gluten-free!

Well, actually, I read all the ingredients of the drink and it sounded ok.

I think it *may* have been the salad. After going through the whole menu and asking questions about what was in this and what was in that, explaining what I could and couldn't eat, she finally brought me a salad with grilled chicken, sans croutons and cheese......with a big ol' slab of garlic toast on the side of it!

I scraped off with a napkin anything I thought had touched the bread, but who knows!? It could have even been the grill. Honestly, I think what I'm feeling is some kind of milk from lunch....a little early for the gluten to have hit me already.

No more fancy drinks for me! Vodka and cranberry juice ONLY!
Toni

EnterLab results:
Gluten intolerance
Egg intolerance
Soy intolerance

#7 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:36 PM

are you lactose or casein free? if you are casein free, wine is filtered with casein.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,795 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:26 AM

Well, actually, I read all the ingredients of the drink and it sounded ok.

I think it *may* have been the salad. After going through the whole menu and asking questions about what was in this and what was in that, explaining what I could and couldn't eat, she finally brought me a salad with grilled chicken, sans croutons and cheese......with a big ol' slab of garlic toast on the side of it!

I scraped off with a napkin anything I thought had touched the bread, but who knows!? It could have even been the grill. Honestly, I think what I'm feeling is some kind of milk from lunch....a little early for the gluten to have hit me already.

No more fancy drinks for me! Vodka and cranberry juice ONLY!

Yea it was most likely the salad. Even a crumb can get us as well as the dressing. I bring by own. Make sure the vodka is potato vodka though, many of us can tolerate gluten grain alcohol but many of us can't.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 mythreesuns

mythreesuns

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:40 AM

are you lactose or casein free? if you are casein free, wine is filtered with casein.

Um, whoops! :o

I am in fact at this time casein intolerant. Thanks for the tip!

Yea it was most likely the salad. Even a crumb can get us as well as the dressing. I bring by own. Make sure the vodka is potato vodka though, many of us can tolerate gluten grain alcohol but many of us can't.

I seem to be ok with vodka (thank God!) but I had no idea wine was filtered with casein.

I should just give up on eating out for now, it was just too hard to pass up meeting with a friend I haven't seen in MONTHS! Next time, it's Outback or just a bar. LOL
Toni

EnterLab results:
Gluten intolerance
Egg intolerance
Soy intolerance

#10 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,803 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:33 AM

Wine is generally fine although it contains sulfates, which may cause sensitivity in some.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#11 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,795 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:41 AM

Um, whoops! :o

I am in fact at this time casein intolerant. Thanks for the tip!
I seem to be ok with vodka (thank God!) but I had no idea wine was filtered with casein.

I should just give up on eating out for now, it was just too hard to pass up meeting with a friend I haven't seen in MONTHS! Next time, it's Outback or just a bar. LOL

The wines that are vegetarian don't use casein. There was a thread a while back that may have given some brands, maybe you could try a search to find them or ask at your local liquor store.

Not being able to be comfortable in social 'eating' situations can be tough. It is hard not to feel isolated. I would still meet with my friend, I would just take some bottled water and eat first. Eating out is risky, especially in the begining. There are some dining cards that are available that you can take with you that many find to be helpful.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#12 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:55 AM

Only some Port wines contain gluten, or so I found when I researched this subject. If you order a cosmo out you'll have to question the brands to make sure they are safe but with wine - as long as it's not Port you should be safe. And not all Ports contain gluten so if you like them, you can contact the winemaker for details.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#13 jnclelland

jnclelland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:03 PM

Aw crap, really??? All wine, most wine, or just a few wines?

Jeanne, who thought she could still drink an occasional glass...

#14 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:19 PM

The wines that are vegetarian don't use casein. There was a thread a while back that may have given some brands, maybe you could try a search to find them or ask at your local liquor store.

Just to clarify, it is the vegan wines that are casein-free. Vegetarian means dairy and eggs are allowed. I think if you google vegan wines, you'll find a few brands available.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#15 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:21 PM

you can also make your own wine, too. we do that.
Gluten-free, Vegan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: