This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Who Is On Your Not-my-friend List?

penguin

penguin Community Regular

On the verge of going back to being gluten-free, I'm remembering all the companies that are on my "not-my-friend" list, in that they said their products were gluten-free and they weren't. Here's what I got:

Amy's

(everything but rice mac & cheese)

Bob's Red Mill

(all-purpose gluten-free flour mix)

Pamela's

(baking mix)

Kellogg's

(on principle)

Who's on your list? :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bklynceliac Apprentice

Mi-del. I've had problems with their cookies several times.

jerseyangel Proficient

Some Whole Foods 365 Brand products.

I've gotten reactions from their Almond Butter, Digestive Enzymes and a couple other things.

When this happened with the almond butter, I called and inquired (complained). They sent me packaging and postage and asked me to send it to a lab at the U of Nebraska. I heard back from them that there was no gluten detected in the product, but that they only check to 200 ppm. <_<

Nantzie Collaborator

Amy's - I'm hoping that they fix their problems, but I got SO sick. The worst glutening I've gotten so far. I don't know if I'd have the guts (HA!) try them again.

VydorScope Proficient

Danon, Qaucker, Purity.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Oral B and Ritter's Frozen Custard ... it irritates me when companies won't tell you what's in their product so that you can be the one to decide if you want to take the risk or not! There is a risk in almost everything we eat, and these two companies just say, "We can't help you." If everyone did that, we would starve and have dirty teeth!!

I won't eat Lay's Stax because I've heard the risk of cc for casein is high.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Quaker, Blue Diamond (about the onlly thing that I've reacted to that most people haven't - usually, it's the other way 'round)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

key Contributor

WE eat Pamela's pancakes everyday for 15 months now. At least 5 days a week. I have never had a problem with them having gluten. I haven't contacted them though. IS there some risk of gluten? Where are they processed?

Amy's, possibly.

Lay's regular chips, something with them doesn't agree with me. I can eat UTZ's though.

Monica

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Quaker

Arby's

Steak N Shake (conflicting info on their website I've never actually eaten there)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Kaycee Collaborator

I don't trust any company who will not reply to my emails.

Most companies are good and wonderful with their replies, even if they state their food has gluten in it, I appreciate them giving me the advice. But there have been a couple of companies who have not even replied. They are small companies, but that is no excuse. So I treat their products as having gluten in them, even if I do not get a response from them. They are not user friendly!

Cathy

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Wait a minute... :o are you saying that the Amy's cheese enchiladas in my freezer are going to give me problems? have not had them yet.....and what about the Shepherd's pie? both say GLUTEN-FREE on front.....

For me, definitely Blue Diamond Nut Thins. Extremely sick from those. And that's kind of evil, as they have their "proud sponsor of Celiac foundation" or someting like that right on the box.... :angry:

Heshey's Nuggetts.... :( Okay well I can eat a FEW, like 5 or 6 and no problems, but....half a bag.... :ph34r::lol: ...that's definitely not good.....

And DO NOT buy the choc. covered raisins from Trader Joe's. Woke up and felt kicked in the gut from those. <_<

jesscarmel Enthusiast
Wait a minute... :o are you saying that the Amy's cheese enchiladas in my freezer are going to give me problems? have not had them yet.....and what about the Shepherd's pie? both say GLUTEN-FREE on front.....

For me, definitely Blue Diamond Nut Thins. Extremely sick from those. And that's kind of evil, as they have their "proud sponsor of Celiac foundation" or someting like that right on the box.... :angry:

Heshey's Nuggetts.... :( Okay well I can eat a FEW, like 5 or 6 and no problems, but....half a bag.... :ph34r::lol: ...that's definitely not good.....

And DO NOT buy the choc. covered raisins from Trader Joe's. Woke up and felt kicked in the gut from those. <_<

I ate the cheese enchilladas a few weeks ago and was okay and the pizza and was fine so i geuss everyone is different or maybe some are contaminated and some are not.......

elonwy Enthusiast

Amy's has been having issues. The pizza is made in a dedicated facility but the rest is not. I was fine, then this weekend was made really sick by the cheese enchiladas, now I'm going to wait til they work it out.

I love Blue Diamond nut thins, they've never given me a problem.

I don't trust Hersheys. The only thing that's never made me sick is the plain chocolate bar and the plain kisses. Everything else makes me sick.

Elonwy

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Believe it or not I once got really sick from the Gluten Free Pantry Truffle Brownie mix and although I haven't eaten it again I'm not afraid to try their other products. I'm not sure why or how I reacted to it, but I did. So I just stay away from that product.

I'll occassionally eat the rice cakes, but I'm leery of Quaker.

penguin Community Regular

Oh, also on my not-my-friend list:

Kettle Chips

Quaker

Arby's

McDonalds

Outback (well, one location, anyway)

The irony is I usually don't react to the mainstream products, it's the ones marked gluten-free that give me trouble :rolleyes:

taz sharratt Enthusiast

Kettle Chips

Quaker

Arby's

McDonalds

The irony is I usually don't react to the mainstream products, it's the ones marked gluten-free that give me trouble :rolleyes:

is kettle chips ok or not :unsure: i have them a lot but am wondering if they may be causeing trouble :blink:

LKelly8 Rookie

(I don't think the Kettle brand chips are gluten-free :( .)

Amy is not my friend. I don't like her brother Van or their dad, General Mills.

Unexpected, possible cc: Hershey's Dark, Lays Staxx, various rice crackers.

floridanative Community Regular

Quaker because after eating their quick grits twice and getting bloated both times, I finally called them even though clearly their label indicated no possible gluten. This was before I knew about cc at factories. So their response was to almost yell at me saying if I have Celiac I can NOT eat any of their products. With that kind of attitude I said no problem and hung up. I now eat Arrowhead Mill grits but noticed that Jim Dandy grits started marking their labels - may contain wheat and milk. Thank you!

Katja Rookie
(I don't think the Kettle brand chips are gluten-free :( .)

Amy is not my friend. I don't like her brother Van or their dad, General Mills.

Unexpected, possible cc: Hershey's Dark, Lays Staxx, various rice crackers.

I checked on Kettle's Website since I am huge fan of their new "bakes" chips and have been eating them quite a bit with (I think!?!) no problems.

Are your products gluten free?

Our products are processed on equipment shared with ingredients that contain very small amounts of wheat. We thoroughly clean our lines after each flavor run, but there is a slight potential of cross contamination. For your convenience we do list all ingredients on the packaging.

Open Original Shared Link

flagbabyds Collaborator

halls! for sure made me soooooooooooosoooooooooooooooooooooo sick one time

PF changs, sent me into anaphalytic shock from the leftovers that they used the same spoons on everyone's ALWAYS make your own leftovers at YOUR table

amy's for sure

i can think of more later.

Katja Rookie

uh oh!!! REALLY? I have been wrecking my brain as to why I am so tired and exhausted? Did you have the dark chocolate ones? (can't do dairy, so I stay away from any milk chocolate!)

lindalee Enthusiast
Danon, Qaucker, Purity.

Tell me its not Danon yogurt please. I want to make my own but haven't figured it out with my maker yet.

lindalee Enthusiast

Kettle Chips

Quaker

Arby's

McDonalds

Haven't done any of those since gluten-free except Outback at Nags Head - ordered off the gluten-free menu and the grilled lobster tail made me sick after one bite and the salad had croutons.

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

Lara Bars,

Some Lay's potato chips

And, I too seem to react to many products that are labeled Gluten-Free. I am getting to the point where I am suspicious of any processed food. And I'm afraid to eat out anywhere.

elonwy Enthusiast

The only Dannon that is ok is the plain one. From Dannon:

Gluten: This protein is found in wheat, oats, rye and barley. DANNON yogurt products are not formulated to contain gluten, but they can't be considered gluten free. The natural system for stabilizing flavor might contain ingredients derived from gluten sources. Since there is a current lack of consensus on individual sensitivity levels to gluten, and there are no accurate tests to detect the presence and amount of gluten, DANNON yogurt cannot be classified as "gluten free"

Yoplait is ok, just read the ingredients. The only ones that I've found with gluten are the ones with cookies and granola.

Elonwy

Archived