#1 Deb O (UK)

Deb O (UK)

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:24 AM

Hi there

I am gluten intolerant and am almost ready to start a gluten-free diet.
I've noticed for a couple of years that I seem to react to eating cheese. Almost immediately, often whilst still eating it, my face gets very tingling and hot and this continues for several minutes :huh: Could this be an intolerance to cheese or dairy? Has / does anyone else experience this? Could this be related to being gluten intolerant?

Any thoughts are welcome!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:44 AM

Sounds like it could be a milk allergy. Do you notice any reactions to any other dairy products? (Milk, yogurt, ice cream?)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 Deb O (UK)

Deb O (UK)

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:46 AM

Sounds like it could be a milk allergy. Do you notice any reactions to any other dairy products? (Milk, yogurt, ice cream?)

No, just cheese <_<

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:09 AM

Then, as milk, yogurt, and ice cream all contain casein (the primary) milk protein), whey (another milk protein), and lactose (the primary milk sugar), it is unlikely that it is dairy that's the problem.

Perhaps you are sensitive to rennent? Do you always have the same type of cheese or cheese from the same family?
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

I get these symptoms from cheese. I can drink milk though and I'm not casein intolerant. Cheese contains large amounts of histamines...I believe thats what causes the reaction in my case. I get the reaction with some other foods that are high in histamines too.

The other thing it could be....if you are sensitive to MSG you might react to cheese since its got extemely high amounts of free glutamates.

Do you react to other fermented or aged foods?
Rachel

#6 Deb O (UK)

Deb O (UK)

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:14 AM

I get these symptoms from cheese. I can drink milk though and I'm not casein intolerant. Cheese contains large amounts of histamines...I believe thats what causes the reaction in my case. I get the reaction with some other foods that are high in histamines too.

The other thing it could be....if you are sensitive to MSG you might react to cheese since its got extemely high amounts of free glutamates.

Hi Rachel :)
this is interesting. I've never thought about food containing histamines ;) . I have taken anti-histamine treatments before, prescribed by the doctor, for allergic reactions that I have to certain environmental factors. I often get a very itchy, sore throat. I haven't made any connection before with what I eat.
I'm very new to this (well, awareness that is, not symptoms :rolleyes: ) and I guess that part of my learning is that I'm beginning to become more aware of what's going on in my body etc.

Thanks for your post, that gives me something to think about.
Deb :)

Oh Rachel, forgot to ask in my last post - what is MSG? I'm not up on glutamates :rolleyes:
Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: