17 replies to this topic

#16 pturse

pturse

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:41 AM

Thank you both (emcmaster and Nancym). I think I am going to really give a full effort. My DH might think I am nuts since I *want* to restrict even more from my diet but I think it might help.

I will try cooking the veggies really really well. That does seem to make some what a difference because I notice when I eat cooked broccoli vs raw broccoli . . . I get less gassy. Still gassy, but a lot less. I like the idea of adding eggs in first for protein. I am a runner and I know I will need some carbs/protein at some point but figuring out what really bothers me first is important.

So I will try fruits for breakfast (I read apples and citrus are out right?). Veggies for lunch and veggies and perhaps yams/sweet potato for dinner? I read that sweet potatos were allowed . . . just not white potatos.

Still will be hard to go w/o my morning tea though. :-)

I take it that BEANO is also out huh? I tend to use that when I eat veggies.

One thing I have noticed, and maybe this is just me, but have you seen those HANNS bags called Broccoli Salad where it's basically shredded broccoli, carrots and red cabbage? I love those but for some reason, my digestive system really doesn't handle it well and I think it is because it is shredded. Does that sound weird? I mean it goes "in" and "out" exactly the same . . . sorry for TMI.

I don't post on here much, more of a lurker, but I am really trying to stick to this diet because my DH and I are considering kids in the near future and I want to be healthy for the process.

Thanks again for the tips.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 emcmaster

emcmaster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 02:05 PM

Thank you both (emcmaster and Nancym). I think I am going to really give a full effort. My DH might think I am nuts since I *want* to restrict even more from my diet but I think it might help.

I will try cooking the veggies really really well. That does seem to make some what a difference because I notice when I eat cooked broccoli vs raw broccoli . . . I get less gassy. Still gassy, but a lot less. I like the idea of adding eggs in first for protein. I am a runner and I know I will need some carbs/protein at some point but figuring out what really bothers me first is important.

So I will try fruits for breakfast (I read apples and citrus are out right?). Veggies for lunch and veggies and perhaps yams/sweet potato for dinner? I read that sweet potatos were allowed . . . just not white potatos.

Still will be hard to go w/o my morning tea though. :-)

I take it that BEANO is also out huh? I tend to use that when I eat veggies.

One thing I have noticed, and maybe this is just me, but have you seen those HANNS bags called Broccoli Salad where it's basically shredded broccoli, carrots and red cabbage? I love those but for some reason, my digestive system really doesn't handle it well and I think it is because it is shredded. Does that sound weird? I mean it goes "in" and "out" exactly the same . . . sorry for TMI.

I don't post on here much, more of a lurker, but I am really trying to stick to this diet because my DH and I are considering kids in the near future and I want to be healthy for the process.

Thanks again for the tips.

Broccoli is a very gas-producing vegetable and I believe cabbage is, too. This sounds funny, but you might try cooking that broccoli salad a bit to make it easier to digest.

I think your idea sounds good for the e. diet, however, you will most likely need to eat every 2 or 3 hours if you're only eating fruits and veggies. I can't go much longer than that without getting extremely hungry.

If you can handle it, you can have nuts (except for peanuts) and oils. That will help to satiate you.

Good luck!
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free

#18 rutland

rutland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:02 PM

I really want to do the elmination diet but I crave stuff like rice and corn tortillas. I probably eat rice cakes almost every day! I tend to have a lot of difficulty with roughage type stuff (veggies like carrots, spinach, heck all veggies really) and I am a VEGETARIAN (who consumes some tuna). I feel like the rice and corn tortillas "settle" my often upset stomach.

So I have some questions re: the elmination diet.
1. What on earth would I eat (remember I am a vegetarian)?
2. How do you stick to it!?

Any ideas/suggestions would be great. I am so tired of being bloated and having an upset stomach all the time. The only time I feel "good" is right when I wake up in the morning w/nothing in my stomach.

Id hate to say it but you could possibly have an allergy or intolerance to rice and corn. When you notice that you have strong cravings for something that can be a sign in and of itself that your allergic. I know from my own experience having major cravings for cheese or bread and indulging and feeling like hell afterwards. Any food that triggers heavy cravings are suspect. I guess the only way to know is to eliminate it for a few weeks, notice how you feel without it, then add it back in and see how you feel again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: