This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Outback-no More Gluten Free Menu?

jpsych

jpsych Newbie

Just a heads up people. I went to Outback where I live in Missouri and asked for my usual "gluten free menu." The server stated that the menus were recalled and were being redone. Evidently someone became ill and they are having to relook at some of their items. As far as salad dressings the server stated that only the oil and vinegar dressing could be guaranteed gluten free. Just wanted to share the info.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IrishKelly Contributor
Just a heads up people. I went to Outback where I live in Missouri and asked for my usual "gluten free menu." The server stated that the menus were recalled and were being redone. Evidently someone became ill and they are having to relook at some of their items. As far as salad dressings the server stated that only the oil and vinegar dressing could be guaranteed gluten free. Just wanted to share the info.

I hear ya!! I went there last week (chicago suburbs) and i was only able to eat the salad with the oil and fresh lemons...stinks huh?

Aerin328 Apprentice

That's terrible ! They are an oasis! Do you mean they intend to keep their gluten-free menu but they are "temporarily" recalling it to modify it?

Guest nini

At least they are taking it seriously and "re looking" at some of their items... I still think we should continue to e-mail companies whenever they do something like this and express our a)concern and b)appreciation for trying to accomodate the celiac community.

We all know that cross contamination in ANY restaurant is a very real possibility, and therefore anytime we eat out it is a risk we take... so if someone got ill, good for Outback that they are looking at the items again, but the customers should always remain aware of the risk associated with dining out.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

They still have their gluten-free menu online. That is odd that they would pull it from restaurants and not pull it online.

I know that I have had trouble at an outback having mis-printed menus. They had not marked items on the menu correctly. I called the manager the 1st time it happened. I called the owner the 2nd time it happened. They took care of the mistake. Possibly the restaurant just got a batch of the mis printed menus?? Just a thought.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

While I love Outback, I don't like going there. I hate seeing the servers walk around with steak knives stabbed into warm loaves of wheat bread.... *sigh*

I do love Alice Springs Chicken though..... I hope they are just redoing the menu, and not eliminating it.

Guest nini
While I love Outback, I don't like going there. I hate seeing the servers walk around with steak knives stabbed into warm loaves of wheat bread.... *sigh*

I do to, but I have a GREAT solution... I just made a loaf of Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread mix day before yesterday... when it is hot and fresh out of the bread machine it reminded me of a good artisan bread at a restaurant! I had some tonight warmed in the microwave with melted butter on it! I haven't been able to do that with ANY other gluten-free bread!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

Yeah I made that for the first time Sunday. It was soo good right out of the oven I ate four peices of it. Its really good. Still a little heavy but delicious.

Elonwy

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Hmmm. I may have to try that. I'm getting tired of eating bread with the consistancy of a sponge. But... I love sandwiches, so I'll deal with the bread. Right now I'm eating Kinnikinnick Robin's Brown Rice bread.... or something like that. It's GOOD, has a nice taste, I just don't like the texture.

Guest nini
Yeah I made that for the first time Sunday. It was soo good right out of the oven I ate four peices of it. Its really good. Still a little heavy but delicious.

Elonwy

yeah but the breads at places like Outback and other steak houses are typically heavier breads too, that was part of the appeal!

Turtle Enthusiast

GOOD! I'm so glad to hear that Outback is at least taking the time to look into their gluten-free menu closer. I love their food but have quit eating there b/c everytime i'd get sick (and i've tried several different locations, in different cities even). Hopefully they will get things straight soon, educate their kitchen and wait staff and then we can get back to enjoying a nice fat juicy steak (or whatever your preference is)!!

Thanks Outback!

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Somebody on the board works there, so do they know if it's true for all the restaurants? I am supposed tog o there with my mom this weekend ;)

mommida Enthusiast

The chocolate thunder from down under!!!? They can't take that away! I will organize a riot!

L.

Somebody on the board works there, so do they know if it's true for all the restaurants? I am supposed tog o there with my mom this weekend ;)

I think it's Lauren that works there..........maybe she has the scoop

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

I went to the North Miami Beach location a few days ago, and they had the brand new gluten free menu--it wasn't even folded yet. It had a lot more restrictions but essentially had many of the old stand-bys included. One disappointment was that the light alfredo sauce on the Hearts of Gold Tilapia was listed as no longer being gluten free. You also have to be careful because my menu had a chicken dish on it that came with corn cakes, and the waitress pointed it out and said that it was a missprint--it was not, in fact, gluten free. I still got my 9 oz steak with the garlic mashed potatos and the unseasoned steamed vegetables. Unfortunately there was a mix up that caused my entire order to take one and a half hours to prepare, but the manager paid for our meal and gave us a gift certificate to return. Also, when my veggies came out finally, they were seasoned--she told me, in the future, to ask for the veggies unbuttered because they don't add seasonings to the veggies but they do add butter and that is what contains gluten. I'd never had a problem with this before, but it posed a problem this time--good thing I had my mom taste the vegetables before I tried to eat them.

For the record, I do believe that the chocolate brownie thing was still on the gluten-free menu.

tiffjake Enthusiast

Hey all, just wanted to let you know what was going down with Outback! I work with my local Outback (teaching the servers about CC and how to avoid it) and the drama is this :

The Bronzed Chicken with Corn Cakes was (is) gluten free, but the corn meal, used in the cakes, is made in a facility that also processes wheat. When Outback discovered this, they pulled this menu option from the gluten-free menu (in theory though, not actually printing out new menus yet). They are now going back through all of the menu options and making darn sure that they are gluten-free (and that there is minimal gluten exposure).

NicoleAJ- The alfredo sauce was never gluten free (but perhaps your Miami location is a franchise? and they make their own??) The gluten-free menu that Outback publishes says to avoid the Alfredo sauce on the Hearts of Gold Chicken. I hope you are not getting sick!

I am not a Outback spokesperson, but I do go to my local Outback at least twice a week, and I work with the managers and the owner to make sure the servers are aware of Celiac and know what gluten-free means. I have had every dish on the gluten-free menu, and if you follow the directives (no blue cheese, no croutons) then you should be fine (that is, if your manager and server are being careful about CC).

Hope that helps!!!

Lauren M Explorer
I think it's Lauren that works there..........maybe she has the scoop

Yep, I work at Outback. And I have heard no such thing. They are definitely not discontinuing the gluten-free menu, but perhaps they are revising it.

I know that our regular menu is also undergoing some revisions - discontinuing some items, adding others. I'll specifically ask my kitchen manager and let you all know! He knows I have Celiac so if Outback was doing something as drastic as discontinuing the gluten-free menu, he definitely would have told me.

But I would keep on eating the Chocolate Thunder, in fact, I think I will :P

By the by, my advice for any Celiac eating at Outback is not just to request food that is gluten-free, or request food with the special preparations that make it gluten-free, but to specifically state that you NEED a gluten-free meal. I know at my Outback, your food will be CLOSELY watched, kitchen staff will change their gloves, the works. They are well aware of the seriousness of the issue and they know what gluten-free means.

- Lauren

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Thank-you, Thank-you Thank-you! I am going there this weekend :D:D:D

eleep Enthusiast

How is it that Outback is a chain that's so celiac-friendly? Anyone know the story behind this?

tiffjake Enthusiast
Yep, I work at Outback. And I have heard no such thing.

Hey Lauren, ask your manager for the email from the corporate office. My Outback locally even brought out the email to show me and asked if Cross Contamination of the Cornmeal was even that big of a deal!!! I can tell that this particular outback is trying really hard to understand gluten-free...... so that makes me feel a little better, that they ask questions.

Glad to know we have an "insider" !!!!!!!

hez Enthusiast

I think I read somewhere that Outback created the gluten-free menu because someone close to the company either has celiac or knows someone with celiac. Is this true? Wish I could remember where I read this.

Hez

This menu and the information on it is provided by Outback Steakhouse, in cooperation with the Gluten Intolerance Group® (GIG®), as a service to our customers. Outback Steakhouse and GIG® assume no responsibility for its use and any resulting liability or consequential damages is denied. Cynthia Kupper, a Registered Dietitian with GIG®, prepared this information (which has not been verified Outback Steakhouse.) Patrons are encouraged to their own satisfaction, to consider this information in light of their individual requirements and needs.

That is all that I have ever known about it.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Vladimir Gluten Newbie

Go to the outback website, print the gluten-free menu (dated Aug 06) and bring it with you. No worries, mate.

sspitzer5 Apprentice
Also, when my veggies came out finally, they were seasoned--she told me, in the future, to ask for the veggies unbuttered because they don't add seasonings to the veggies but they do add butter and that is what contains gluten. I'd never had a problem with this before, but it posed a problem this time--good thing I had my mom taste the vegetables before I tried to eat them.

I've had the same issue with the butter many times. After getting sick once, I now feel my veggies to see if they are greasy! If so, I send them back. The Outback near me got a new gluten free menu about a month ago. I hope it's up to date.

S

Rikki Tikki Explorer

I am kind of confused. :unsure::unsure::unsure: Does their butter have gluten in it? I plan on having it on my baked potato

Archived