This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

nutralady2001 Newbie

Hello everyone haven't been here in a while! Been busy busy

Georige I must make the trip down to Kylie's,keep meaning to but other things get in the way

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
amber Explorer
Have just had a great find ! www.taste.com.au type in gluten free into search engine toolbar on that site - and heaps of gluten-free recipes ! The Brownies look yummo!

That's an excellent site. I discovered it recently too and the gluten free section is good as are all the other sections. There are many recipies that can be adapted to gluten free. There is a chicken and vegetable soup that is on that site that I made and it was delicious.

amber Explorer

Patties are trying to get their product into Safeway/Woolworths also and expand their range. The problem at the moment is that the products are too popular and they can't keep up with demand. That is great to hear as it means that larger companies such as Pattie's are realising that gluten free is popular and can be very successful for them.

annemerlemac Newbie

Hello! I'm from Queensland in Australia and we probably get a lot of our products from the same manufacturers as those of you in New Zealand so that should be a bit helpful :)

I'm a self diagnosed coeliac/gluten intolerant now with all the symptoms but went off gluten before i was tested as it was just a hunch at first. A hunch that has stopped alot of problems i've had for ages but never would have thought it was coeliac related, thank goodness i'm a big googler!

In Australia we have labelling laws which say all common allergens must be listed on all our products (this includes gluten now) but i have had problems with a few products with no mention of gluten or wheat like candy lane choc coated peanuts from coles (i think they must be made on the same lines as their choc coated sultanas which do contain wheat)......i'm not sure if these laws are the same in NZ. I dont think alcoholic beverages have to list any ingredients at the mo', but i'm sure that will change soon, i just stick to yummy wine :D

I always find myself carrying food around with me, one of those little boxes of sultanas as well as a little bag of nuts and mother earth popcorn if i'm going to be out for a while keeps me going. there just doesnt seem to be anywhere convenient to eat without huge risks of cross contamination!

It would be nice to meet someone nearby....well in the same hemisphere at least lol :lol:

Hi,

Im from Sydney but can relate to everything you have said in your letter & also had a lot of trouble finding a bread I liked enough to eat, I 1st started making my own because I didn't like the store bought or couldn't find it in stock. I have since discovered 'Country Life' Low GI gluten free bread which is also dairy free. It is better toasted but is the best I have encountered that I'm able to eat(it has almond meal :P ) Woolies are selling gluten-free 'Patties'& 'Freedom Foods' gluten-free range of froz pies, sausage rolls, lasagna, muffins, lamingtons, sticky puddings etc., although I usually cook most of my meals & freeze them for lunches & ready made meals it is nice to have the alternate store bought goodies like normal people can! There are great non dairy ice creams out there too! but you might have to look a little harder. :rolleyes:

annemerlemac Newbie
I just sent you a monster email full of info i've collected mackmackmackie :)

If anyone else wants me to send it to them i'd be happy to! :D

Could you send me some info too!

thanks

Anne ;)

• 1 month later...
MissWingBat Newbie

Hi everyone in OZ and NZ,

I'm a newly diagnosed celiac disease and still up in air about other celiac disease issues related. My mother has also just been diagnosed and getting my 3 kids tested this week. Its really great to see a 'local' (hahah) thread for us down-under. Its disappointing to see not a forum site for aussie ppls. I'm in Townsville, QLD by the way. Anyone else from up here?

Still in my first few weeks (this is actually my first week gluten-free) so finding things a bit hard. Went gluten-free for 2 days and 'rewarded' myself with some custard without thinking, its got Thickner 1442 in it DUH!!

I've broken out in a small rash on my arm today....

This site is great for researching info - if you've got a couple of hours!

So what is the final word on wheat glucose syrup - I've got a bag of Pascall Eclairs calling me name, but want to be 100% sure!!

Kaycee Collaborator

MissWingBat, welcome, glad you found us.

I live across the ditch in New Zealand so I know how frustrating it is trying to find sweets. I myself am not sure about wheat glucose syrup so I wouldn't touch it. If in doubt leave it out.

I've just done a quick search on a NZ site mfd.co.nz which has listings for gluten free food. I typed in Pascall and came up with quite a few things, but not their eclairs. So it looks like those eclairs might have to stop calling your name. My favourite standby is Mr Mallows Marshmallows, they actually say they are gluten free on the bag. My only problem with that, is eating too many. There is chocolate out there, and legally like here in NZ food needs to be labelled it contains gluten.

As for the thickener 1442, I don't think it is wheat starch, but is derived from tapioca or corn, so it might've been something else that gave you the itch.

Sorry I can't be more help

Good luck.

Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Saz Explorer

White Wings make custard powder that is gluten-free. Paul's will write on the cartons of their pre made custards if it's gluten-free. Does anyone know of any supermarket brands of lolly banannas that are ok? I've been craving some lately, but don't feel lik paying $6 for the ones from the health food shop.

• 2 weeks later...
Joss Rookie

Hi can I join in this discussion? I live in Perth and I am also on a gluten-free diet. I had a positive IgA test in 2001, which my doctor at the time told me to igmnore. When I finally want gluten free 3 months ago many of my lifetime illnesses seem to be resolving.

I was wondering about the Cadbury chocolate line after finding that my favourite mentos contain wheaten glucose,pooh.

I don't eat bread as most gluten free ones are expensive and rather crumbly.

nutralady2001 Newbie
Hi can I join in this discussion? I live in Perth and I am also on a gluten-free diet. I had a positive IgA test in 2001, which my doctor at the time told me to igmnore. When I finally want gluten free 3 months ago many of my lifetime illnesses seem to be resolving.

I was wondering about the Cadbury chocolate line after finding that my favourite mentos contain wheaten glucose,pooh.

I don't eat bread as most gluten free ones are expensive and rather crumbly.

Welcome Joss! I am in SA. Go here

Open Original Shared Link

for details of gluten-free Cadburys chocolate, welcome to the forum!!

nutralady2001 Newbie

Joss I meant to add that glucose syrup from wheat is considered "safe" as far as I know because it is so highly processed ... did you have a reaction from eating the Mentos?

nutralady2001 Newbie
As for the thickener 1442, I don't think it is wheat starch, but is derived from tapioca or corn, so it might've been something else that gave you the itch.

Sorry I can't be more help

Good luck.

Cathy

I think if it was derived from wheat it would say so on the packet given our labelling laws

Joss Rookie
Joss I meant to add that glucose syrup from wheat is considered "safe" as far as I know because it is so highly processed ... did you have a reaction from eating the Mentos?

Thank you so much for forwarding the Cadbury's info. Luckily I ate some dairy milk chocolate even though I have a problem with milk too.

The people at Mentos sent me an email saying that all mentos products are gluten free. it says as much on their website too. I have never had any side effects from eating them.

I have so much to learn.

Joss

Centa Newbie

Centa from the U.S. here, just stopping by to admire you sociable people in Australia and New Zealand

Aussie Peg started this thread a year or so ago and you've had 18,000 views! You erased the competition!

All best from farther north. :)

Aussie Peg Rookie

Wow, i haven't looked here in a while, i've stopped receiving notifications so i thought it must have died but here it is blooming! yay! I've got a lot to look back on!

I've just discovered this online shopping site (could have been mentioned in the pages i haven't read yet) at Open Original Shared Link . They only sell aussie products which includes lots of gluten free brands including basco, freedom foods, and ajitas vegie chips (my favourite! I think they still have some old stock of the non gluten free flavoured ones though as i received the herb and garlic ones which listed malt in the ingredients but i've let them know).

They also sell Malaney Clean Cuisine sauces and condiments which i've fallen in love with recently! All their sauces etc are free from gluten, wheat, nuts, dairy, soy, eggs, and lots of other things, and they even have a tomato free bbq sauce! Here's their website: Open Original Shared Link

Only Oz also has great postage especially in brisbane, $3.80 for next day delivery!!

Another site i've discovered is Open Original Shared Link , its where i get all my fruit n veg and now they sell gluten free pasta and a delicous bread which i love but contains dairy which doesn't agree with me anymore. its the seed bread that i've tried, sooo good with melted butter/margarine and honey! They only deliver to places in Queensland and orders over $30 delivered to Brisbane are free, i love bargain delivery!

Hmm, not sure if there's any thing else i've discovered lately....Oh yeah, I've had a great experience at Hog's Breath Cafe, they knew all about Coeliac Disease and could tell me exactly what i could and couldn't have, i brought my own sauce so it worked out really well :)

Oooh, another site which i don't think i've mentioned before is Open Original Shared Link . They have lots of homemade allergen free stuff including lots of gluten and dairy free stuff including icecream waffle cones, vegan fudge (yummy dairyfree chocolate fudge), allergen free cake and biscuit mixes and lots of preservative free dried fruit. They're based in Tasmania so shipping is a bit more expensive than usual but i think its worth it for some of the items!!

ok, i'm off to read all the pages i've missed,

i hope everyone is well!!

:)

Aussie Peg Rookie

Regarding lolly bananas, I buy mine online from here: Open Original Shared Link

or here: Open Original Shared Link (go to candies, then shepherd works)

The packets are $4.50 each but you have to pay shipping too which would bump up the price, but they are delicious! :)

Wombat Newbie

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie here too, joined here a few weeks ago and have been reading alot of the forums here.

I was diagnosed with C.D. about 2 years ago. I am lucky in a way, because if I do eat any food with gluten it doesnt make me sick, but I do try to live on a G.F. diet.

I am going to the USA at Christmas time, so Im gonna find it interesting seeing what gluten-free foods they have there!

Cheers,

Wombat from Melbourne! :D

Saz Explorer

Any tired the new basco cereal? Honey O's or something I think they're called. I wouldn't mind trying them but don't want to fork out all the money and not like them.

Also with the vege chips ( u know the ones u buy at coles and woolies) are the bags u buy with all the small packets ok? If they are do they gluten-free on the front. I have noticed some of the individual packs do but heard that they are now all gluten-free?

MissWingBat Newbie

Hi there Saz,

I've been buying alot of those vege chips because a) I'm newly diagnosed and its all still fun to eat 'junk' food, and B) they had a special at woolies and I bought 4 of those multipacks. As far as I can see the individual packs are all gluten free, they have exactly the same information on the small packs as the big ones except for the 'not for individual sale' sign on the back. They are the best thing to carry around. Some do have cane-sugar in them, depending on your 'stats'.

As for the cereal, being newly diagnosed I'm still in the honeymoon period with the gluten-free muesli, which I am sure will wear off eventually and I will branch out.

I am going to the docs tomorrow with my 3 wonderful rugrats to get their diagnosis's (SP) so fingers crossed that they are all negative ("2 outta 3 ain't bad"!) No seriously, I hope with all my heart this is the one thing they haven't inherited.

BTW, is there anyone else with celiac disease in NQ out there??

Joss Rookie

Ok this is a post to say thank you to all those wonderfully helpful Aussies out there that have given me so much information in so little time. Aussie Peg was wonderful too and sent me a very long email that I cut and copied into a permanent folder on my desktop of my PC.

Today I went into town for a recce and low and behold Borders had the book the EnteroLabs recommended I read, the Gluten Connection. It was $10 more than the online price from fishpond.com.au but it was in my hand immediately. Then I dashed off to check out the foods at Woolies and ended up buying junk foods, but oh so comfortable. As I am asthmatic and I am sensitive to milk and egg proteins I bought some Leda Mintons, as recommended here and some chocolate daydream biscuits from Freedom foods. The latter were only $2.23 so I thought they were a bargain. I have decided that I need to buy ready made foods, because I dislike the sound potato flour makes. Sort of like biting into a cork.

Next I went off to the health food store where I purchased Herbs Of Gold sublingual B12. I have a lot of neurological issues that could be a lot of things, but they could also be a B12 defiency too as I am a long term vegan. The sublingual B12 is best because it bypasses the gut, or so I have been told.

Then I went into Target to check out the Mr Mallow marshmallows, but they didn't have any. So I remembered that Priceline also sold them and went there to check it out. They had the pink and white marshmallows for just $1.99 and they had another lollie line, Delicious, that were mostly ok if you don't mind wheat glucose. These sold for just $2 a bag. I also noticed a Price bag of banana lollies, again ok, except for the gluciose syrup. As I was leaving the store I found a 400g tin of Candylishus Jelly Jumble that had no bad products except for a whole string of not so good food colours (well not so good for asthmatics) anyway I bought a tin and then wondered about foods made in China. The tin was a mere $5.

Finally as I was leaving town I checked out Muffin Break's gluten free muffins and vowed to pick up a couple each week. I thought I could cut them in half and freeze them.

Now I am set for all the occasions that I feel deprived as I have an ample supply of non-foods on hand.

Anyway it was fun and I have rationalised the sortie as encouraging companies to produce more gluten-free/CF products. Sounds ok to me!

(I don't think I will tell my daughter, as she thinks it is all in my head.)

Joss

MissWingBat Newbie

MMMMMmmmm Marshmallows - haven't really thought about them since going gluten-free but now thanks to that post I am craving them! Will have to go to Priceline and check it out.

Is there a mega official list (or member list) of products like that, and choc, and chips (all the good stuff) that I can access? The only ones I can find only have American foods on them. Just want to know, for like icecream, and everyday products that I have written off since going gluten-free.

I was just cooking dinner and found that the stock chicken cubes I buy are gluten free - they are not advertised on the front "GLUTEN FREE!" but if you read the fine print, it says Massell Stock are certified Gluten Free. They are MASSELL, 7's. I bought them at Woolies and they are Australian.

Everyone probably knows about them but I feel like getting a gold star everytime I find something gluten-free!!

PS. My kids results came back today and they DO NOT HAVE COELIACS!!! YAYAY!! :rolleyes:

Wombat Newbie
MMMMMmmmm Marshmallows - haven't really thought about them since going gluten-free but now thanks to that post I am craving them! Will have to go to Priceline and check it out.

PS. My kids results came back today and they DO NOT HAVE COELIACS!!! YAYAY!! :rolleyes:

I found this on the Cadbury website, the ingredients to marshmellows ..

Open Original Shared Link

Congrats to your kids being S.D. Free! :D

Cheers

:)

Joss Rookie

I am so glad that the little Wingbats are celiac disease free. Aussie Peg sent me a long list.

MissWingBat Newbie

Thanks Joss, its certainly a relief! Now we have to work out why they act so RAAA!!!!!!

I have been trowelling through the old posts from this forum and taking notes of recommendation of which brands and products and where they are available, like a list of all McD's foods I can order if I go there. It just gets very confusing when you are in the shops and ingredients are swimming before your eyes. I went to lunch with my mother the other day and even though the waiter was helpful, it was still hard to make a gluten-free choice.

I will have to ask 'preeetty' pls to Aussie Peg to send the list through - it's a bit hard to say that I have to have this certain brand of gluten-free food because someone else told me to eat it! No really, just letting you guys who have been the guinea pigs and have tasted the nice and not so nice gluten-free stuff pave the way.

Thanks again everybodies!

Joss Rookie

MissWingBat I can forward Aussie Pegs list if you pm your email. Or you can send Peg a PM.

One of the nice things I discovered today was that Muffin Break make gluten free muffins. They are made first and the tongs are isolated and don't touch any other muffin in the store. The ones I had today were apple berry and were very nice. They are $4.40 each and I bought 2, cut them in half and put them in the freezer. I cut them in half because they will thaw quicker that way.

I also bought some Freedom Foods Vege-Spread from the health section of Woolies. It's quite nice, very soft and would make a great casserole enhancer. I too am learning and even though I though I was following a gluten-free diet for the last 3 months, I really wasn't. There is so much to learn about cross contamination issues.

I also have to learn the lingo here. I now know that CC means cross contamination and the DX means diagnosed. D and C were easy enough, but there are still some that baffle me. Someone used OS the other day. Now coming from Australia os usually means overseas.

Joss

Lingo = language

Archived