This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

Saz Explorer

I have just had an email back from the Streets company with a pdf of every icecream ! Call me the icecream expert now :lol: Blue Ribbon is gluten-free. Not sure what that means re me. Does that mean I have a dairy problem as well ? Or could I have been still reacting to the glutening I had a week earlier.

Maybe you picked up some gluten from somewhere else and didn't realise it? Or is it possoble that you might of just had a bug?

I wonder if the cappcino would be ok if you eliminated the choc from the top? My local Gloria Jeans are ignorant and I cant eat there so I just go to Coffee club (they have cookie that I like) Jamicablue or this awsome local place.

Can any one tell me if the ice cream at sizzler is bad? Hada bit tonight, was impressed that I avoided the Moose tho- assuming that has wheat or something else in it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
georgie Enthusiast

I posted this elsewhere tonight but I am hopping mad.... I have had 2 hospital cafe meals in last month. Both times they had NO gluten free food at all.Not even a cake. I was there waiting for 3 hours today and was REALLY hungry.The first time - the lady apologised but today the lady was REALLY rude and told me they had it once but it was not a good seller :blink: Both these hospitals are large city hospitals in Adelaide. I would be REALLY nervous about being an inpatient there....... :huh:

Saz Explorer

Thats not good. I would have thought that a major hospital would offer at least a Salad, wich would be naturally ok, I guess I can undertstand them not having a cake, but I'm sure they could get those Bryon bay cookies, there is also another type (Groumet delights I think) I have seen them In some of the Hospitals in Brisbane.

georgie Enthusiast

Yes. Still cross. When I said cake I meant one of those pre packaged biscuits or cakes you can get. The lady was so rude to me for even asking. I have just checked my Leda bar bought last week and its exp is Aug 07 - so can't see the issue there re dates and food being wasted excessively. This is just ONE bar we are talking about ! All the sandwiches were pre made in a fridge - not made on site.It was just a small cafe but its Adelaides largest private hosp.......

Saz Explorer

What kind of Leda bar was it? Are you talking about the single ones that you get from coles? I have seen these but not bought any as I thought they might taste a bit heavy. I got some of the leda fruit filled bars today, not bad, but not really to my taste. Oh by the way I highly recomend their Minton biscuits, they are the best, they recently changed them and the first one I tired seemed to have a bit of a taste but after that it was fine. It's so great to be able to eat choc mint cream biscuit!

georgie Enthusiast

I love the Leda bars although they are heavy. I usually only eat half and save the rest for another day.I will have to look out for those choc mint ones !

This was in Adelaide paper yesterday. Looks good - will have to check it out !

Open Original Shared Link

And for any Adelaidians - have been told of Organic Pizza , Hutt St have gluten-free pizza !!!!

Darlene Newbie
Hello! I'm from Queensland in Australia and we probably get a lot of our products from the same manufacturers as those of you in New Zealand so that should be a bit helpful :)

I'm a self diagnosed coeliac/gluten intolerant now with all the symptoms but went off gluten before i was tested as it was just a hunch at first. A hunch that has stopped alot of problems i've had for ages but never would have thought it was coeliac related, thank goodness i'm a big googler!

In Australia we have labelling laws which say all common allergens must be listed on all our products (this includes gluten now) but i have had problems with a few products with no mention of gluten or wheat like candy lane choc coated peanuts from coles (i think they must be made on the same lines as their choc coated sultanas which do contain wheat)......i'm not sure if these laws are the same in NZ. I dont think alcoholic beverages have to list any ingredients at the mo', but i'm sure that will change soon, i just stick to yummy wine :D

I always find myself carrying food around with me, one of those little boxes of sultanas as well as a little bag of nuts and mother earth popcorn if i'm going to be out for a while keeps me going. there just doesnt seem to be anywhere convenient to eat without huge risks of cross contamination!

It would be nice to meet someone nearby....well in the same hemisphere at least lol :lol: I keep reading about all these great bread mixes available in the US and canada which we dont get, but i have enjoyed the basco bread mix, has a good texture and a mild flavour unlike all the premade ones i've tried....not sure if basco is available in NZ, its made by a company called greens.

I love orgran rice and corn pasta, and san remo spaghetti, chic nuts are delicious too (roasted crunchy chic peas with salt or tomato flavouring available in the health food aisle of the supermarket). i've been baking alot too and its been working out well but i have to restrict how many goodies i cook otherwise i eat them all and expand :P

anyway i must dash! hope to hear from anyone in my neck of the woods! :)

Hi Peg,

I know this post was a while ago, but I live in Brisbane too and pretty much are self-diagnosed - I'm not keen to do the "gluten challenge". My husband and I have been gentetically tested and he is doing the challenge now. I have 2 children, 1 diagnosed with "gluten intolerance" and the other with symptoms also.

I have been working through these issues for 3 years, and on reflection, can see that this has probably been affecting me since very young. I believe my mother is affected too. I am still reeling in shock over the Dr's comments that it could take me "10 years to re-adjust my families diets" and alleviate their symptoms.

I have just found this site and think it is great - very informative.

Having moved from melb, I found there is more awareness here, and more products available. As awareness increases alot of major manufacturer's are looking into alternatives with CSR sugar (icing) and White Wings (flours) now in gluten free.

The nighmare for diagnosis is one I completely understand as having to "make my children sick" for a diagnosis is not an idea I particularly like (all been wheat/gluten free) making blood test results "false negatives"

We live on the southside of Brissy and are keen to chat to others in similar situations.

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tracey* Rookie
Open Original Shared Link this weekend in Sydney :)
georgie Enthusiast

Does anyone know if all antibiotics are gluten-free here in Australia ? And what cough mixtures are safe ?

Saz Explorer

I don't think all anitbiotics are gluten-free. I know that Iron tablets used to have gluten in them, wich is unfortunate fi you have to have it because the liquid stuff is the most disgusting on the planet. It tastes like what metal smells like. I know that one type of vitamins (heron or blackmores) Print gluten free on their bottles, it is possible that both do. As for prescribed medication, ask the doctor at the time. Just make sure that you take the prescribed not the other one that the pharmacy offers you as this may not be gluten-free.

I have no idea about cough medicine, but I imagine your pharmacist would be able to help you, or try if you can think of a specific brand try a web search.

Now I have a question of my own.

Have any of you ever tired to make Basco bread mix? I tired it today and apart from been a little to moist, it has seems to have coalapsed a little, the slices are going to be puney even for gluten-free bread. The sides are pushy.

Anyway please reply.

Riayn Newbie

New member here living in Sydney. I am currently pre-diagnosis (going for my blood test on Monday), but have suffered from GI problems for the past 10 years. Just thought I would pop in and say hello to everyone.

georgie Enthusiast
New member here living in Sydney. I am currently pre-diagnosis (going for my blood test on Monday), but have suffered from GI problems for the past 10 years. Just thought I would pop in and say hello to everyone.

Welcome ! Good luck with your test. My blood test was negative but my Dr insisted I still do the Challenge Diet. I did and soon became aware I was GI ! I have been glutened 3x since and get SEVERE reactions so I am still puzzled by my negative blood test but have read that can happen.

Have any of you ever tired to make Basco bread mix? I tired it today and apart from been a little to moist, it has seems to have coalapsed a little, the slices are going to be puney even for gluten-free bread. The sides are pushy.

Not sure - have never tried that mix. But my hubbie makes bread and said it could be too much water, stale yeast / or stale flour.

Saz Explorer
Welcome ! Good luck with your test. My blood test was negative but my Dr insisted I still do the Challenge Diet. I did and soon became aware I was GI ! I have been glutened 3x since and get SEVERE reactions so I am still puzzled by my negative blood test but have read that can happen.

Not sure - have never tried that mix. But my hubbie makes bread and said it could be too much water, stale yeast / or stale flour.

It was undercooked hence the moistness, strangely enough though it doesnt taste to bad.

Kaycee Collaborator

Saz, I too find that gluten free cooking for some reason or other needs more cooking time. I know some of my muffins and breads have come out a bit sticky/moist, but don't taste half bad and seem to loose the moistness as they cool down.

I spoilt everyone at work the other day with gluten free muffins, and they all went, nobody could really tell the difference, so I guess I can do that again one day. A few were quite amazed that you could buy gluten free flour. I guess I did not know that before either.

It never ceases to amaze me that quite a few people at work say they should be gluten free because they feel better without too much bread, but they never take the next step and do it.

Cathy

georgie Enthusiast
spoilt everyone at work the other day with gluten free muffins, and they all went, nobody could really tell the difference, so I guess I can do that again one day. A few were quite amazed that you could buy gluten free flour. I guess I did not know that before either.

Can we have the recipe ???? :)

Most folks still think gluten-free is a weirdo complaint. I know my family does. I am sure my 2 brothers should be tested but they are in complete denial about it. They say they feel better without too much bread but they keep eating it !

Saz Explorer

Hi guys. If your struggling for ideas for Xmas food, pick up a copy of the Coles Christmas magazine. There a few recipies that are ok for us to eat and and a few others that could be easily edited. Its free so you don't have to worry if you don't end up using any of the recipies.

Also I discovered that some of the Rush milks are ok, it say gluten free on the packaging of at least 3 that I have I looked at. You have to look hard as it is written down under the ingredients, except on the new Chai tea Latte flavour where it is written along on the upper part of the pack.

Feeling guilty right now, I went a xmas party tonight and cheated, I had some mashed poato coated ball, meatball with noodles in it, one cracker and a piece of rocky road :o I later discovered cornchips and pigged out on them so at least they were ok.

tracey* Rookie

Has anyone heard of or used ImuPro300?

Open Original Shared Link

Darlene Newbie

Tracey,

Thx for the link - it does sound interesting. I wonder $

My osteo in Melb mentioned she had something similar done last year (it may have been the same).

Cass Newbie
Saz, I too find that gluten free cooking for some reason or other needs more cooking time. I know some of my muffins and breads have come out a bit sticky/moist, but don't taste half bad and seem to loose the moistness as they cool down.

I spoilt everyone at work the other day with gluten free muffins, and they all went, nobody could really tell the difference, so I guess I can do that again one day. A few were quite amazed that you could buy gluten free flour. I guess I did not know that before either.

It never ceases to amaze me that quite a few people at work say they should be gluten free because they feel better without too much bread, but they never take the next step and do it.

Cathy

Kaycee Collaborator

Hi Cass and welcome. I've been diagnosed nealry as long as you.

So you get the 'Oh, poor you' and I get the 'oh that looks healthy'

Work has been quite supportive and the only time I feel deprived would be at morning tea times if there is morning tea put on, but my muffins do make it so much easier.

Welcome to the season of morning teas, and dinners and parties. This will be a challenge, but I don't think it will be quite as bad as when I ran out of Burger King nealry in tears, while my family was eating there and I didn't even really want any burger king! Just the emotions getting away on me. But that was way back then and this is now. It has been quite a growing experience for me mentally.

Cathy

Mango04 Enthusiast
Hi Cathy and all,

That's a really good idea about bringing gluten-free muffins to work. At my work there are regular charity morning teas, but all there is to eat are normal cakes and biscuits - I usually feel a bit left out and deprived (especially when some of the other people say "you can't eat anything - oh, poor you". I'm starting to think "poor you" is my new nickname.

I'm from Melbourne and I work in the CBD. Is there anyone else out there who knows about good places to eat gluten-free in the city, especially around Melbourne Central/Latrobe St end of town? I know Food Cube - a great little cafe on Bourke St with all gluten-free goodies like pasta, risotto and pizza... But apart from that, I bring my own lunch to work as it's easier to have something reliable to eat.

I've been diagnosed as Coeliac since January 2006. It's been a bit of a slow road for me to feel better. I've had a lot of stomach cramps, headaches and "brain fog", even though I've been on a very strict gluten-free diet and limiting sugar, processed food etc. Have any of the other Aussies had any good results from naturopaths or alternative medicine? Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Cass. :)

Okay so I'm travelling around the country and I was literally in Melbourne for two days so I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to what's where in the city, but I was walking around and I stumbled upon a place called Sustenance on Brunswick St. Nearly all the food was labeled gluten-free and it was yummy (but not super cheap :P ). I also loved the organic section of the Queen Victoria Market. Melbourne is really beautiful. I was sad I didn't have more time there :(:)

So you get the 'Oh, poor you' and I get the 'oh that looks healthy'

The other day I got a "you must have a horrible life" when I told someone I couldn't eat butter :huh: Yeah my life is horrible . As cheesy as it sounds, it actually made me think of the fact that so many people on this Earth don't have the privilage of getting to eat everyday, and here I am constantly surrounded by wonderful heathly food, but yeah ..my life sucks because it does not involve butter :huh: people are really clueless LOL

Kaycee Collaborator

Hi Mango, good to see you getting around Australia. The most I have done is Sydney, and I loved it. You must be going back to the states soon. And will you be having a downunder Christmas in the heat? I always think one day I will have a snowy Christmas, like on the Christmas cards, but that aint going to happen this year. But summer has not struck us here in New Zealand, it is still pretty cool.

Just remember butter is bad for everybody and full of saturated fats. Does that make it better? Must admit I prefer butter to margarine mainly because nobody sticks their dirty knives in it leaving crumbs, and it is more natural than margarine. Got to get away from those additives!

Cathy

Saz Explorer

I just discovered that Freedom foods are going to put a range of frozen stuff, it includes crumbed fish and chicken, a pie, sticky date, pizza and donuts.

This is will be good, however having tired there wraps tonight and not being all that impressed, I'm not holding my breath. I have tired some of their other stuff that was actaully ok tho so you never know.

Anyway just thought I'd share.

Saz Explorer

Ok - The posting boxes seem to have changed since I was last on, so If this end up in the wrong spot, very sorry.

For those of you in Brisbane, there is a gluten free shop at Cooparoo (sp). Alot of the stuff there I have seen in health food shops but they did have sweet biscuits and a few other things that I have not seen anywhere else. (such as peppermint silce) I think the shop was called Coeliac supplies. They have website, I am not sure of the exact addy but Im sure if you type the name of it into a search engine you will find it. I think they may also be listed on the online yellow pages.

Sorry for the vague discriptions, I don't actaully live in brisbane, but it was definately at cooparoo

new to LI Newbie

i would just like to say it is my traveling dream to see new Zealand :rolleyes::lol:;)

Archived