This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

amber Explorer
Just been having a browse on the freedom foods website and it say that their frozen range is available from the 1st week of March ( so this week). They are available from Coles Nationally and Franklins in NSW. They have crumbed chicken pieces and fish fillets, pizza, donuts, as well as a few other things.

Hoping to try the chicken this week if Coles have it - when their wraps came out it took Woolworths a while to get them in. :)

Thanks Saz.

Very interesting though if they are anything like other Freedom Food stuff they will be over priced and not as good as they claim. Donuts - my daughter will be excited about those.

If anyone tries them please come back on and give us a review of the products.

My daughter finally tried the Freedom wraps and they did not wrap without breaking as claimed but were okay.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ADF Coeliac Newbie

Hey all! I'm from Queensland but I'm currently based in Sydney. I was diagnosed with coeliac's at age 14 (2004). I only had the tests done because my sister had it and so my family decided to get tested as well. just recently (last year) i applied for, and was accepted, into the Australian Defence Force, which is quite an achievement (before you could not join if you had any dietary intolerences). I was just wondering if anyone else, anywhere in the world, had gotten into their respective armed services. BTW I'm in the 3rd Battallion Royal Australian Regiment (3 RAR), it's a parainfantry unit based in Sydney (i always get a some dirt thrown on me when it's State of Origin time :P )

Saz Explorer

I got the latest copy of The Ausralian Coeliac today and and there are some very nice looking products advertised so I thought I'd come and share!

Firstly Muffin Break are advertising a range of savoury muffins- if they are as good their sweet ones they will be well worth it! Be sure to ask tho as I think they do normal ones, however they always have a label on the sweet ones so I would assume it would be the same.

Secondly IGA has an add for carrot cake, choc cake and chocolate as well as blueberry muffins, they look so good in the picture, my mouth was watering.

Thirdly there is an ad for Patties, and their range will be hitting coles and Ritchie IGA stores in April.

It seems that buying food is getting easier and easier, I think it's awsome that I will now be able to go the frozen section of a normal supermarket and have a choice between two brands of frozen stuff! Not sure if the food will taste good, but I think the fact that it has become available is a huge advancment .It seems that company's finally figured that not all us Coeliacs are health nuts and that we still have taste buds.

Saz Explorer

Just thought I'd let you all know that I tired the Parmasan olive and sundired tomato muffin (from Muffin break) and it was YUM! I had it with a bit of philly cheese.

Also- I went to Wendy's and was told that the only sorbet we can eat is the green apple - Please just check this tho, I think the server was right as I intitialy asked about another flavour and was told this was the only one without gluten - however not been sensitive I wouldn't know if they had made a mistake.

amber Explorer
I got the latest copy of The Ausralian Coeliac today and and there are some very nice looking products advertised so I thought I'd come and share!

Firstly Muffin Break are advertising a range of savoury muffins- if they are as good their sweet ones they will be well worth it! Be sure to ask tho as I think they do normal ones, however they always have a label on the sweet ones so I would assume it would be the same.

Secondly IGA has an add for carrot cake, choc cake and chocolate as well as blueberry muffins, they look so good in the picture, my mouth was watering.

Thirdly there is an ad for Patties, and their range will be hitting coles and Ritchie IGA stores in April.

It seems that buying food is getting easier and easier, I think it's awsome that I will now be able to go the frozen section of a normal supermarket and have a choice between two brands of frozen stuff! Not sure if the food will taste good, but I think the fact that it has become available is a huge advancment .It seems that company's finally figured that not all us Coeliacs are health nuts and that we still have taste buds.

Hi Saz,

I have started a new topic re. these new products so we can all comment on them once we have tried them.

The magazine was very exciting wasn't it.

georgie Enthusiast

How did you get to be a member of the Coeliac Society ? Our state says you need a dx from a Gastro and warns people of these 'fad' Drs that use the Gluten Challenge Diet as part of the dx process.

I have found the most AMAZING bakery in Adelaide !!!!!!!!!!!!! All baked on the premises by a 3rd generation baker. I now have gluten-free and dairy free cup cakes, lamingtons, sausage rolls, pies, choc cake, choc peppermint slice in my freezer and fridge !!!!!!!!!!!!

She does ship. Don't know about interstate but you could always ask. kyliesglutenfree.com AMAZING shop !!!! I had the BEST marshmallow just freshly made with toasted coconut. She gave us a sample as we were there. :) :) :)

Saz Explorer

As I understand it you must be dx by a doctor to become a member of your state society. The accepted forms of dx are the blood test or endoscopy( I think)

You may be able to try your local Library, they may have copies of the magazine, I know have seen ones from other similar groups.

This is kind of late as it is nearly the end of the week, however I was told that 9am with David and Kim are doing gluten-free recipes all this week. Today's (Wed) was something mexican which I am told looked nice, I will be able to watch it tomorrow so hopefully it will be something YUM! Anyway they usually put their recipies up on their website. You may have to quick tho as I'm not sure if they are only available during the week they were shown.

The peppermint slice sounds good! I had a nice one back in December, unfortuntely I cant get it here, but I have a recipe for one, I think its about time I tired it out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
Good evenin' everyone,

Does anyone know what brands of frozen potato chips/wedges we can have? Last time I checked my arm went numb from being stuck in the freezer checking ingredients, didnt have any luck though.

I had nandos chicken the other night, it turns out that they cook all the chicken on the same grill so the gluteny bbq chicken residue ends up on anything cooked on the grill, found that one out the hard way! No-one in the shop knew anything about gluten either when I attempted to double check that the non bbq chicken was safe. They even told me that the items on the menu with the "G" next to them were gluten free, luckily I had investigated the website earlier and the "G" actually means "contains gluten" :rolleyes: So be careful!

Thanks in advance for any chippy recs :)

When I was back in the UK the Nando's hot sauce (not BBQ) was for sale... and specifically said "MAY contain traces of gluten"

Of course your stuff might be different or the stuff used in the resto's different to what's sold in supermarkets.. but it might be worth checking?

amber Explorer
Just thought I'd let you all know that I tired the Parmasan olive and sundired tomato muffin (from Muffin break) and it was YUM! I had it with a bit of philly cheese.

Also- I went to Wendy's and was told that the only sorbet we can eat is the green apple - Please just check this tho, I think the server was right as I intitialy asked about another flavour and was told this was the only one without gluten - however not been sensitive I wouldn't know if they had made a mistake.

I was under the impression that most of Wendy's ice-creams and shakes were okay except for the obvious ones that contain cookies etc.

I have sent them off an email asking them for a list of gluten-free products.

amber Explorer
Hey all! I'm from Queensland but I'm currently based in Sydney. I was diagnosed with coeliac's at age 14 (2004). I only had the tests done because my sister had it and so my family decided to get tested as well. just recently (last year) i applied for, and was accepted, into the Australian Defence Force, which is quite an achievement (before you could not join if you had any dietary intolerences). I was just wondering if anyone else, anywhere in the world, had gotten into their respective armed services. BTW I'm in the 3rd Battallion Royal Australian Regiment (3 RAR), it's a parainfantry unit based in Sydney (i always get a some dirt thrown on me when it's State of Origin time :P )

Maybe if you post in the general section you might get some replies from overseas members.

georgie Enthusiast

This is the list from an earlier message.

This is the Wendys list. Now we can indulge !

- Wendy

Saz Explorer

I am just wondering if we can eat mentos? I vaguley remember reading somewhere that were ok but I'm not sure if it is talking about Australia.

Saz Explorer

There is a thread in one of the other sections on Patack's products, I have been trying to find info on what products we can have here, as I know that these things are often different depending on what country you are in. The only information I can find however is seven years old , so I don't really trust it.

Anyway I'm just wondering if anyone knows which of their products we can have? I've heard good things about the products so would like to see what all the fuss is about!

Aussie Peg Rookie

I'm not sure about the mentos, the writing is always too small to read lol, i'm sure you can contact them somehow :)

As for Pataks, they clearly write any gluten containing ingredients and say "gluten free" on the curry pastes near the nutritional info, I'm sure their other products would do the same, delicious rogan josh i must say! :)

I had a banana coconut muffin from muffin break today and it was delicious, i didnt have any reactions either, yay!! I had a sundried tomato one too but it was a bit rich for me, i think i'll stick to the sweet ones.

Anyone been able to find the new gluten free frozen foods yet? i've kept my eye on coles near me but no luck yet...

amber Explorer

I looked yesterday at Coles but not there yet. When I contacted them they said it would be available from 12th March.

Orgran are trialling ice cream cones and I bought some last week and gotta say they are almost as good as the real thing.

My daugther who is the coeliac loved them.

tracey* Rookie

Does anyone know whether there are gluten-free instant noodles? Like the Maggi noodle type - chicken or beef

Also, anyone seen gluten-free and Yeast Free hamburger buns?

Thanks

:) p.s. It took me months to figure out how to log back into the forum - use your email address as your username! Doh!

georgie Enthusiast

I have just posted a Chocolate Cake recipe that I made ,on the Baking Forum. Its great ! Healtheries Simple Baking Mix and the recipe is on the back of the packet.

Saz Explorer

tracy*- I don't know of any noodles but Orgran have a packet of tomato pasta, it says it ready in 8 minutes, I'm not sure how common it as I've only seen it one shop. Basco also have a Mac and Chesse and fettuicine however I don't know if they are yeast free and to be honest don't taste the best.

For those of you who are able to get products from the gluten free bakery -they now do swiss rolls, I got the jam and cream one and I have to say that it tastes as good as any "real" one I've had. They also do a choc honey one as well. It makes a nice change but does cost nearly $10.00

Still no sign of the Frozen food in Coles- I'm starting to get really annoyed now!

Julie-uk-nz Apprentice

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already but this website: Open Original Shared Link is useful for us celiacs in Oz and NZ, it looks fairly new but give it time.

Cheers, Julie

amber Explorer
This is the list from an earlier message.

This is the Wendys list. Now we can indulge !

- Wendy

gerberer Newbie

I knew the Flake was OK but not the Crunchy !!!! Yeehah. They are my favourite.

Hi guys, I am new here, I have been reading heaps.

I am hoping to feel a whole lot better in the coming months.

I am in Brisvegas.

• 3 weeks later...
Saz Explorer

Does anyone know of a nice cocoa that can be used for hot chocolate? I have cadbury Bourniville at the moment but I think it is intended more for cooking. Im thinking of making some spiced hot chocolate mix for presents but figure I should taste them myself first.

Aussie Peg Rookie

Chocolate Nesquik is gluten free and Vittoria say their hot chocolate is gluten free too :) Sounds like a great pressie idea! yum!

Kaycee Collaborator
Does anyone know of a nice cocoa that can be used for hot chocolate? I have cadbury Bourniville at the moment but I think it is intended more for cooking. Im thinking of making some spiced hot chocolate mix for presents but figure I should taste them myself first.

Cadbury drinking chocolate is gluten free. I don't know if that is only for the NZ made variety.

Cathy

sugarlust Newbie

heyas

i'm 31 and from brisbanes sth side! only just discovered this website and have been gluten free for since anzac day! 2 days! hehehe am self diagnosed, been having Big celiac disease? probs for 2 years now, bad health on and off all my life. doctor did 1 celiac blood test ( i think! ) which came back negeative so she thinks i have anxiety and perhaps IBS lol.

i know there is a doctors area but am posting my blood work results here in the hopes that any Aussies recognise the tests, am wanting to know if anyone knows which if any of these tests are related to coeliac! they are as follows : IS , TTG , PEI , SCP-462 , B12 RCF and how conclusive they would be if at all. the doctor wouldnt tell me anything apart from i got a negative result!

thx and i hope you all have a great weekend! TGIF!!! ( note the time. i woke up hungry! lol)

still getting used to the diet. i was in Coles with my sister on tuesday in the health food section, we were being Loud while checking out the gluten free range and a nice lady there told us that Woolies has a better range so i am gonna check it out later today and also buy some new plastic containers etc so i can start cooking up batches of stuff and freezing it!

xo kimmy~

Archived