This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

nutralady2001 Newbie
My friend does for her daughter. I can find out the brand of breadmaker for you. It is the one recommended by the Coeliac Society. Don't do what I did and just buy any brand .... it didn't work at all.

Thanks Georgie that would be good!!!

Still have to join the Coeliac Society have the forms for the doc to sign next visit. you know what it's like in Australia, must have an official diagnosis and form signed by a doctor to join :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
amber Explorer
Hi, I haven't read through this entire thread yet, though I will. What prompts me to come here is that my husband has talked for decades about wanting to see Australia and New Zealand, but we haven't been able to because he gets only two weeks vacation time and he thinks it would take way longer than that.

He is retiring effective March 1 of next year and I found a four week vacation package that looks ideal for what he would want to see. I can tell he likes it but he is concerned I won't be able to find anything to eat. (A river cruise in Europe last summer was problemmatic -- they could handle gluten-free, they could handle vegetarian: they couldn't handle the two things together and vegan threw them for a complete loop.)

I don't want to be stuck at home worried about food. So how easy would it be to find gluten-free, soy-free, vegan food over there? I'm pretty flexible -- a baked potato or some rice, some veggies, fruit, perhaps supplemented with gluten-free bread, etc. bought at local stores, and I would be happy. Like I said, I don't want to avoid traveling, one thing we're really looking forward to in retirement, just because food might be a challenge. I'll even eat fish in a pinch, what I had to do last vacation to avoid starvation. What is the general awareness level of restaurants as to what gluten is? Can I find gluten-free fare in local stores? How hard is it to stick to a plant-based diet there?

This is where that particular tour goes:

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for any insight you folks can provide ...

Hi,

As far as gluten free food goes Australia is an excellent place to travel but I can't vouch for some of the smaller towns that you may visit on your trip. One thing about Australia is that the labelling laws are very strict which means that if a product has an allergy causing ingredient such as wheat, gluten , soy etc. it must be on the label. This will make it easy for you when shopping. Large supermarkets will have a health food section with plenty of gluten free options plus soy free as well. Even smaller supermarkets such as IGA have a good selection depending on the individual store. I have found the level of awareness in Australia has improved out of sight in the last ten years. Many restaurants will have gluten free options or else they will know what you are talking about. Again, I am talking about Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast. I have been to Cairns and my sister lives there so I can find out from her (she is a coeliac) what is around. Also I volunteer for the Coeliac society of Victoria so please ask any questions you may have. I can also provide you with some suggestions for when you are in Melbourne. Of course it is harder having other allergies and being vegetarian/vegan but it should not stop you from travelling. Your tour does sound very busy and covers alot of ground.

hathor Contributor

Thanks, Amber. I'm sure I'll get to the point of seeking specific restaurant recommendations, as well as what not to miss in our free time.

Of course, if you, or anyone else, wants to mention something now, that's fine. I've bookmarked this thread.

Now we were just trying to decide if this was a doable trip and it definitely sounds like it is. At a party last night my husband was telling people we are planning on going, so I guess that is a "go" decision :D

georgie Enthusiast
Now we were just trying to decide if this was a doable trip and it definitely sounds like it is. At a party last night my husband was telling people we are planning on going, so I guess that is a "go" decision

Great News! Give us all a wave from The Rock - or Uluru as it is known now !

Mango04 Enthusiast

I just wanted to mention that it's really easy to travel around Australia independently (without the help of a big, organized tour), and big organized tours can sometimes make travelling with food restrictions a little more difficult. I know everyone has different needs and travel styles...but I thought I'd throw that out there for whatever it's worth :rolleyes:

Saz Explorer

Does anyone know any brand of mint leaves available at supermarkets we can have?

I was going to get gluten-free ones from the health food shop for Christmas, only everyone else seems to have had the same idea. That will teach me for leaving things to the last minute :angry:

Also for those of you in Brisbane, what are some good restaurants, health food type shops on the northside, I'm relocating there soon. Thanks

nutralady2001 Newbie

Not sure Saz. I know georgie gets some lollies etc from online stores but obviously you won't get them in time for Christmas :(

And speaking of restauraunts has anyone ever eaten at a Hogs Breath Cafe?

You think you'd be OK with steak and salad but thinking of CC

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

amber Explorer

For those who live in Melbourne you can get gluten free Hamburgers in the city. At Flinders Street Station and at the corner of Elizabeth and Flinders street is a small place called lord of the Fries (yes, strange name). They do gluten free fries with various different sauces and gluten free hamburgers. One of the owners is a coeliac. Handy if you are in the city and need a quick snack.

amber Explorer
Does anyone know any brand of mint leaves available at supermarkets we can have?

I was going to get gluten-free ones from the health food shop for Christmas, only everyone else seems to have had the same idea. That will teach me for leaving things to the last minute :angry:

Also for those of you in Brisbane, what are some good restaurants, health food type shops on the northside, I'm relocating there soon. Thanks

Saz, check out this site which has a lot of suggestions for Brisbane.

loco-ladi Contributor

heard there was an earthquake in NZ and wanted to send my thoughts to anyone there wishing you a safe day

Lynn

Nebraska USA

• 1 month later...
amber Explorer

ESKAL have bought out gluten free ice cream cones which are available at Coles. These are cheaper than other brands that are available. Apparently they are bringing out waffles soon also. I haven't tried to the cones but will try and get hold of some and do a taste test. All their other products are good so they should be also.

mushroom Proficient
ESKAL have bought out gluten free ice cream cones which are available at Coles. These are cheaper than other brands that are available. Apparently they are bringing out waffles soon also. I haven't tried to the cones but will try and get hold of some and do a taste test. All their other products are good so they should be also.

Hi Amber:

Thought I would introduce myself as a Kiwi and not leave you so lonely out here trying to keep this Down Under thread going. Don't know if ESKAL will be imported over here--most of our gluten free stuff seems to come from Oz, mostly via Woolworths. I have been enjoying their new line of FreeFrom cookies (or biscuits if you must)--some with chocolate, yumm. Also the Healtheries products, Simple, etc. We also get Orgran from England, and our health food stores are getting more hep in carrying guar and xanthum gums and stuff like that. I understand it's a lot easier to be gluten free today than it used to be.

Now that I'm gluten free it won't be such a pain when my sister comes to visit--yeah!!

Neroli

Lux Explorer

Hey guys :-)

I'm also a Kiwi going gluten-free...well, have been for a couple of weeks now and am only just starting to feel the benefits :-) (that is, until I destroy it all with gluten as my GI doc demands for the purposes of biopsy in another 4 weeks).

Anyway, I just wanted to say I think it's wonderful having this board for our small community downunder - it's so nice to feel we're not alone in this :)

Love and hugs,

S.

mushroom Proficient

I'm also a Kiwi going gluten-free...well, have been for a couple of weeks now and am only just starting to feel the benefits :-) (that is, until I destroy it all with gluten as my GI doc demands for the purposes of biopsy in another 4 weeks).

Anyway, I just wanted to say I think it's wonderful having this board for our small community downunder - it's so nice to feel we're not alone in this :)

Love and hugs,

Good to hear from you, Lux; welcome to our little subset of the forum. I think it is important that we stick together on this. Two weeks is really new, and if you have to wait for diagnosis that must be hard, having to consume gluten again. Good luck on getting the results you want.

I have been gluten free for 2-1/2 months and have just deleted dairy from my diet too (well, cheese and yogurt since I eliminated the rest a long time ago--lactose intolerance--but maybe the other dairy is still making my ankles swell). We will see. When I first went gluten free the thought of going dairy free was unimaginable, but once you find out how easy it is to give up things and how much better you feel it becomes not a problem at all. My husband sat and ate sausage rolls beside me today while we watched the Super Bowl game, and I wasn't even envious. I ate some Kalamata olives. The cat was obviously more interested in the sausage rolls.

Do stay in touch here and let us know how you go on your testing.

Big bear hugs and best wishes,

Neroli

Lux Explorer
Good to hear from you, Lux; welcome to our little subset of the forum. I think it is important that we stick together on this. Two weeks is really new, and if you have to wait for diagnosis that must be hard, having to consume gluten again. Good luck on getting the results you want.

I have been gluten free for 2-1/2 months and have just deleted dairy from my diet too (well, cheese and yogurt since I eliminated the rest a long time ago--lactose intolerance--but maybe the other dairy is still making my ankles swell). We will see. When I first went gluten free the thought of going dairy free was unimaginable, but once you find out how easy it is to give up things and how much better you feel it becomes not a problem at all. My husband sat and ate sausage rolls beside me today while we watched the Super Bowl game, and I wasn't even envious. I ate some Kalamata olives. The cat was obviously more interested in the sausage rolls.

Do stay in touch here and let us know how you go on your testing.

Big bear hugs and best wishes,

Neroli

Hehe, I must say, one of the "up" sides of going gluten free has meant that my younger brother is no longer perpetually picking food off the side of my plate!

Thankyou for your lovely message. I also eliminated dairy and soy from my diet (the latter appears to have a particularly adverse effect on my system) whilst I was going gluten free. To be honest, I'm completely terrified about poisoning my body again, and I know that many people in this forum would advise against it. I can't help but feel the need for diagnosis however - peace of mind is very important to me :-)

Did you find that your symptoms disappeared straight away, or did you experience some of the infamous withdrawal signs which I believe to be lingering with me (I haven't yet had the courage to glutenize myself again. Looks like it's going to be lunchtime today. Sigh). I guess it's one step forward, steps back with these things sometimes, huh?

Anyway, thank you again so much for your post - I will definitely keep you updated with my test results...wish me luck!!!

xo

amber Explorer
Hi Amber:

Thought I would introduce myself as a Kiwi and not leave you so lonely out here trying to keep this Down Under thread going. Don't know if ESKAL will be imported over here--most of our gluten free stuff seems to come from Oz, mostly via Woolworths. I have been enjoying their new line of FreeFrom cookies (or biscuits if you must)--some with chocolate, yumm. Also the Healtheries products, Simple, etc. We also get Orgran from England, and our health food stores are getting more hep in carrying guar and xanthum gums and stuff like that. I understand it's a lot easier to be gluten free today than it used to be.

Now that I'm gluten free it won't be such a pain when my sister comes to visit--yeah!!

Neroli

Hi Neroli,

Nice to see you on here. This thread has gone very quiet lately so welcome. The Freefrom cookes are pretty good aren't they. I find that with alot of gluten free biscuits etc. the picture on the box looks nothing like what is looks like when you open it. My daughter and I often have a laugh about it. Did you know that Orgran products are Australian? They are made here in Melbourne and exported all around the world. Where does your sister live because there is a huge gluten free expo once a year in Melbourne which has about 150 stands of gluten free products and information. I was working there for a few hours last year with the Coeliac Society and everywhere you walked there were people offering you gluten free samples. It definately is easier to eat gluten free than 9 years ago when my daughter became a coeliac. It wasn't too bad then but now there are so many products around and the strict labelling laws here make it very easy to know whether something is gluten free or not. The awareness in restuarants has improved out of sight and most places we go now have good knowledge with the exception of some Asian restaurants mainly because of the language barrier.

amber Explorer

Love and hugs,

S.

Hi Lux, Welcome also this the forum. Why does your GI insist on you eating gluten again??? That is usually not done.

It takes a while to get used to the gluten free diet and all that label reading. After a while do it becomes second nature and you don't take hours every time you go to the supermarket. Please feel free to ask any questions here as I volunteer for the coeliac society and I know it is a bit of a challenge when you are new to the diet.

deviation Newbie

Hi everyone,

My first post here - glad to see some Aussies and Kiwis around. I am 35 year old from Melbourne, anxiously awaiting the results of my biopsies done last week after turning up positive serology for coeliac.... probably won't know anything until early next week. I can't stand the wait - just wanna know one way or the other, although I'm bracing myself for a positive result. My symptoms are chronic constipation and bloating, along with very occassional abdo pain after eating. Needless to say once I heard I had to have the gastroscopy to find out for sure I went on a complete wheat and gluten binge just in case I have to give up Maltesers and Tim Tams :-) Feeling v.bloated as a result!!!

amber Explorer
Hi everyone,

My first post here - glad to see some Aussies and Kiwis around. I am 35 year old from Melbourne, anxiously awaiting the results of my biopsies done last week after turning up positive serology for coeliac.... probably won't know anything until early next week. I can't stand the wait - just wanna know one way or the other, although I'm bracing myself for a positive result. My symptoms are chronic constipation and bloating, along with very occassional abdo pain after eating. Needless to say once I heard I had to have the gastroscopy to find out for sure I went on a complete wheat and gluten binge just in case I have to give up Maltesers and Tim Tams :-) Feeling v.bloated as a result!!!

Hi, enjoy your Tim Tams and Maltesers while you can as it sounds like you may indeed need to be on a gluten free diet. Don't worry it may seem a little daunting at first but you will soon get used to it even though it can be an inconvenience at times. Make sure if you do turn out to be a coeliac that you join up the Victorian Coeliac Society. It is well worth it as they give you loads of information, books, ingredients lists and food samples plus you can call them anytime and ask questions etc. They also provide glulten free travel information for countries you may be travelling to. They do a label reading course for newbies also which is great.

deviation Newbie
Hi, enjoy your Tim Tams and Maltesers while you can as it sounds like you may indeed need to be on a gluten free diet. Don't worry it may seem a little daunting at first but you will soon get used to it even though it can be an inconvenience at times. Make sure if you do turn out to be a coeliac that you join up the Victorian Coeliac Society. It is well worth it as they give you loads of information, books, ingredients lists and food samples plus you can call them anytime and ask questions etc. They also provide glulten free travel information for countries you may be travelling to. They do a label reading course for newbies also which is great.

Thanks amber, it does sound like the maltesers and tim tams will be out soon LOL. Thanks for the info about the Coeliac society - that will be very helpful! A label reading course sounds like a great idea.

• 3 weeks later...
AussieJade Rookie

Just thought id *wave* hello down here :)

Coeliac from Melbourne here! This is SUCH a helpful site - especially if your planning travels to the USA :D

I saw a mention of the eskal ice cream cones - they are fantastic! cant tell the difference! :)

Saz Explorer

I was just wondering if Bailey's Irish cream or Tia Maria are ok?

Also has anyone tired any of Silly Yaks products? I tired the coffee scroll but was not really impressed to be honest.

I have tired the Eskal Ice cream cones and they are really nice. :-)

nutralady2001 Newbie
I was just wondering if Bailey's Irish cream or Tia Maria are ok?

Also has anyone tired any of Silly Yaks products? I tired the coffee scroll but was not really impressed to be honest.

I have tired the Eskal Ice cream cones and they are really nice. :-)

I have had the SillyYaks meat pie and it was great!

Wasn't too impressed with the apple pie though

nutralady2001 Newbie
Hi everyone,

Welcome !

When I went shopping yesterday I had to hurry past the biscuit aisle when I saw all the varieties of Tim Tams that have come out since I went gluten-free :(

Didn't mean to look it was accidental :huh:

Wombat Newbie

quick question, what brand of ice cream that you can buy in a tub at the supoermarket is safe for us to eat? Streets or Pauls or Cadbury or Bulla etc etc etc?

Cheers

Ty

:D

Archived