This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

Saz Explorer

Just thought I'd let everyone know that Woolworths now have flavoured potato chips in the free from range. Flavours include plain, Smokey bbq, chicken and salt and vinegar. I have tired the bbq ones and really liked them. Its nice to finally have flavoured potato chips, instead of rice crackers or vege chips.

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brazen20au Newbie

hi all, just checking in - my 2yo has just been diagnosed with coeliac disease. so far the rest of us seem to be in the clear (just waiting on dh's results)

• 3 weeks later...
teemaree Apprentice
Just thought I'd let everyone know that Woolworths now have flavoured potato chips in the free from range. Flavours include plain, Smokey bbq, chicken and salt and vinegar. I have tired the bbq ones and really liked them. Its nice to finally have flavoured potato chips, instead of rice crackers or vege chips.

Gday everyone.. I'm a fellow aussie and new to all of this, and learning very slowly but surely what I can eat....

I am just wondering if any aussies can point in the right direction of what foods they eat, that you get at the supermarkets here, that are safe... I have learnt that not all things that say gluten free, are correct!...

I've had some wicked reactions to things I believed were safe....

What foods and brands work best for you?.....

I have tried these chips from woolworths, all flavours, chicken, salt and vinegar, and plain... and all have been great, with no major reactions to them...

I also introduced lazuppa soups... pumpkin and minestroni...

Do you know if Dons gluten free meats are okay?... (ham, chicken).. has anyone had problems with them?

I have had some failuars with stuff.... like gluten free bread..... it was so yummy, the best bread I'd ever tasted, but the reactions to it were real bad.......

Does anyone have any difficulties with seafood?... like sydney rock oysters or crabs,or mussels?

I also tried some gluten free lamingtons from coles in the freezer section, they were okay... but expensive..

Also I enjoy Weiss mango bars... you know the ice confection type...

So what do you recommend as really good appetizing things, that don't cause reactions in you?

georgie Enthusiast

Hi, I find I am very sensitive to food and if it has a trace of Gluten in it - I react. Lots of cafes now sell "gluten-free" food but if it is made in the same kitchen as their normal baking - I find I can't eat it as I get a reaction.

Lately my best find has been Gluten Free Bakery items. Open Original Shared Link But I reacted to one of these the other day and think it was the soy chocolate - so be careful. I react to most of the Freedom range. And Orgran. I find Basco cake mixes are quite good.

I also do a lot of shopping online Open Original Shared Link

Mostly I eat food that we have made ourselves. Our whole house is gluten-free - hubbie eats the same as me. The pasta and crispbreads we like are Bi Aglut from Italy. They taste perfect. We also shop at Italian gourmet delis - they have great choices there - salamis, choritzos, goats cheeses, olives etc. Italy seems to know all about Coeliac.

I still can't find a local Pub that does meals though

What state are you in ? The State Coeliac Societies often have lists of places to eat and have shops to buy food. Good luck!

teemaree Apprentice

georgie , thank you for your reply...

I live on the central coast NSW. I tried the lamingtons again on Friday night and had a bad reaction to them... So now they are a no no.... Thank you for your suggestions of different food and where to obtain them...

Yesterday when shopping , in Aldi, I found some just organic pasta sauce... it appears that it could be safe?.....

As I have only been diagnosed for a month, I am just learning what's safe and what not... and it does appear that the only way to tell a lot of the times is through trial and error,,,,

I had read on here how frustrating it is to go out, yesterday for the first time I experienced what it was like, my family stopped in at Red Rooster, I asked had they any gluten free meals..

and they did look at me like some weirdo...

They suggested the chicken , and said you could just take the stuffing out....

I thought yikes no I can't.... stuffing is made of bread and wheat,, it would be through the chicken...

I have to admit , I did pinch a couple of chips, from my husbands plate, and surprised that I had no major problem with them...but I wouldn't be doing that too often.

I ordered a salad, which was a bit old... no dressings boaring ...

I have now had to learn to take some of those woolworths chips in my bag, so I at least have something if food isn't available...

yesterday I also saw that coles sausages were gluten free.........so bought some chicken and plain ones,,, I tried the plain, with no reactions, just a heaviness in the stomach

What kind of dressings do you use for salads?... if you use any?

and where can I obtain them?

teemaree Apprentice

In the the health food section of Coles today...

I found some items... and bought them....

But as always am very warey of eating them.... and wondered if anyone else has tried these items and did they get reactions from them?

I found Jellignite lollies...Snakes, and party mix, they say gluten free, but as always I am scared to eat them...

I also brought Aribar (artisse organic) a whole grain brown rice with cocoa bar ...certified organic gluten and wheat and dairy free... I found them to be yummy~.. but must say after eating one started feeling tired and a bit low...

I also found Orgran gluten free Gravy mix

gluten free

wheat free

dairy free

yeast free

egg free

GMO free

Soy free

nut free

vegan

I haven't tried this gravy as yet... has anyone else?... and does it taste alright?... it sounds safe enough

nutralady2001 Newbie

Welcome teemaree

If you join the Coeliac Society you will get a little blue book listing gluten-free ingredients you can take shopping with you.Read all labels

Be aware that although glucose syrup/caramel colouring etc from wheat is deemed "gluten free" by processing there are people like myself who still react I need zero gluten

Most pasta sauces are gluten-free my favourite is just good old Woolworths Homebrand Chunky Pasta Sauce

In fact the first few months I just kept it really simple and stuck to fresh fruit/veg/meat................shop the outsides of your supermarket for food w/o going in to the aisles too much

I find the Orgran gravy OK there is one that tastes nicer I bought from the Coeliac Society but can't remember the name now would know if I saw the packet LOL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Renesmee from New Zealand Newbie

Hi i'm from New Zealand.

We have recently had our first gluten-free and allergy Expo in NZ, organized by an Australian. I was amazed at the variety out there and i'm looking forward to NZ catching up with the play.

georgie Enthusiast

Hi, I use this brand for my salad dressing. I use the Thai Dressing which is great but I notice only the Italian is stocked here. I buy this from my local Ade. gluten-free shop. There are probably good shops near where you live as well. I think someone told me one of the Kraft mayonaisse is good but I am not 100% sure which one now. You just have to read every label and look out for hidden gluten which may be in 'natural flavours' or glucose from wheat.

Open Original Shared Link

As R from NZ said - the Expos are a great place to find out what is available in your State.

I see they have some training days coming up and a list of places to eat. It is well worth joining up for the information you can receive from them.. The Expo is in August .

I haven't tried the Gravy mix or bars you mentioned. Generally - feeling foggy and tired are my first signs of being Glutened- so I would be careful of them if that is how you felt. I have had the Jellygnite lollies but I found after being gluten-free a while - that I was sensitive to Fructose as well. The Sue Shepherd lollies are safer for me - but I try to stay away from them now too as I have gained weight since being gluten-free ! :D

amber Explorer
In the the health food section of Coles today...

I found some items... and bought them....

But as always am very warey of eating them.... and wondered if anyone else has tried these items and did they get reactions from them?

I found Jellignite lollies...Snakes, and party mix, they say gluten free, but as always I am scared to eat them...

I also brought Aribar (artisse organic) a whole grain brown rice with cocoa bar ...certified organic gluten and wheat and dairy free... I found them to be yummy~.. but must say after eating one started feeling tired and a bit low...

I also found Orgran gluten free Gravy mix

gluten free

wheat free

dairy free

yeast free

egg free

GMO free

Soy free

nut free

vegan

I haven't tried this gravy as yet... has anyone else?... and does it taste alright?... it sounds safe enough

If a product says "GLUTEN FREE" than it is gluten free. Products by law need to be tested by official food authorities and cannot state that they are gluten free unless they have been tested as such. If a product says GLUTEN FREE than there is NO detectable gluten.

Gravox brand gravy is now gluten free. Not all flavours but check on the outside of the pack and it will say gluten free.

Are you aware that the following ingredients are in fact gluten free even though they state wheat on the label:

Glucose Syrup (wheat)

Caramel (wheat)

Dextrose (wheat)

They are so processed that there is no detectable gluten.

I would suggest that you join the NSW coeliac society and have a good chat to them. This should help alleviate some of the concerns you seem to be having.

amber Explorer
Hi, I use this brand for my salad dressing. I use the Thai Dressing which is great but I notice only the Italian is stocked here. I buy this from my local Ade. gluten-free shop. There are probably good shops near where you live as well. I think someone told me one of the Kraft mayonaisse is good but I am not 100% sure which one now. You just have to read every label and look out for hidden gluten which may be in 'natural flavours' or glucose from wheat.

What do you mean by hidden gluten found in natural flavours or gluten from wheat? By law any ingredient which contains wheat much be stated on the label. Glucose syrup from wheat is safe to eat as there is no detectable gluten.

S&W mayonnaise is gluten free as are quite a few other brands which I can't remember at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
UnhappyCoeliac Enthusiast

hey guys

22/aussie/melb/male

I am on the look out for a gluten free shopping, or sweets place in melbourne

I need some tasty stuff and something to look foreward too and hog on again.

SO FAR I have found:

Evans st fish and chips sunbury, close to me and Gluten-Free on tues and sat

nandos chicken steak + they have good labeling

thats it.....

UnhappyCoeliac Enthusiast
quick question, do you think Kelloggs Australia will EVER create a gluten free cerial??? Every cerial they have here is not gluten free, I was checking through their website (www.kelloggs.com.au) and noticed that there is nothing on it about gluten free....

Cheers

Ty :D

Yeh they suck

Hmmm I am a business major and I have emailed Kellogs and Subway about the money they could make by simply introducing gluten free options... it is feasible I think they just haven't thourght of it or suspect there is not a market for it... even when there is.

AS THE true amount of people with this disease eventually gets diagnosed i guess we can only look forward to more options

amber Explorer
hey guys

22/aussie/melb/male

I am on the look out for a gluten free shopping, or sweets place in melbourne

I need some tasty stuff and something to look foreward too and hog on again.

SO FAR I have found:

Evans st fish and chips sunbury, close to me and Gluten-Free on tues and sat

nandos chicken steak + they have good labeling

thats it.....

If you haven't already done so I would recommend you join the Coeliac Society of Victoria. They will send you out heaps of information plus food samples. Also 4 times a year you get a magazine and Victorian Newsletter which has lots of places you can go for gluten-free food advertised. They will also send you out a list of safe take away food options and the latest restaurant dining list.

Give them a call and they will join you up. There is plenty of gluten-free food around and you will soon learn how to find it.

Good idea to contact Kellogs. Well done.

• 2 weeks later...
Mysh Rookie

Hello from Victoria! My name is Michelle and I have recently been given a diagnosis of Celiac (through bloodwork). I am waiting a biopsy sometime next month.

I'm very lost, confused, and grieving for a friend (aka food) that I haven't even had to give up yet.

Very glad to have found a site catering to our end of the world ;) . I'll be trawling through all 28 pages a bit later one, so hopefully i'll get to know you all a bit better.

mushroom Proficient
Hello from Victoria! My name is Michelle and I have recently been given a diagnosis of Celiac (through bloodwork). I am waiting a biopsy sometime next month.

I'm very lost, confused, and grieving for a friend (aka food) that I haven't even had to give up yet.

Very glad to have found a site catering to our end of the world ;) . I'll be trawling through all 28 pages a bit later one, so hopefully i'll get to know you all a bit better.

Welcome to the forum, Mysh, and particularly the down under thread. As you would expect, most of our gluten free products are a little different from what other forum members have available to them. The good news is that the range is expanding and you have probably noticed gluten free sections in the supermarkets. Some things you still have to go to a health food store for, but things are improving.

When you feel a little more at home here, fire away with any questions you have. The knowledge of the forum members is immense and you will always get an answer (or an opinion or two).

You have come to a good place!

Mysh Rookie

Hello Mushroom - Thanks for the clarification re: products. I had suspected that gluten free in one part of the world doesn't necessarily mean that in another. I noticed from reading a few product lists from the U.S and when I went to look at the item here it had gluten........I was thinking "Am I missing something here" (I have a major case of brain fog).

I do have a question someone might be able to answer for me though:-

I gave up eating bread,pasta, rice etc years ago, not knowing about me & Celiac. Maybe an occasional slice of bread will sneak in but that's about it. My doctor says it's important to keep on a gluten diet until I have a biopsy, so I've actually tried to add some bread and other things in (I'm worried the tests will come back negative and my symptoms will be "dismissed" again).

My question is......(after eating 1 slice of pizza the other night I felt like I was going to die)...how much gluten is needed to show up in a biopsy? Will even a little show up or do I really need to be eating what is considered a "normal" diet?

Any input appreciated.

mushroom Proficient
My question is......(after eating 1 slice of pizza the other night I felt like I was going to die)...how much gluten is needed to show up in a biopsy? Will even a little show up or do I really need to be eating what is considered a "normal" diet?

Any input appreciated.

The equivalent of two to three slices of bread a day is normally considered to be sufficient gluten intake for testing. The fact that you had such a violent reaction to the pizza slice could indicate that you have already done some healing :unsure: How much gluten have you actually been eating lately?? Cake, biscuits, pikelets, scones, pastry, etc.,?? If you are not eating enough gluten it can result in a negative biopsy. Did you have violent reactions to bread and pasta in the past that you stopped eating them?

Mysh Rookie

Mushroom, I maybe only eat bread once a week (if that). I tend to eat rice cakes, rice crackers, lots of potato chips, but no cake, biscuits and no rice/pasta. I suspect the gluten I am getting is from contamination and the things I haven't really looked into yet (like the gravy, soup, lollies). I make my own homemade pizzas using pita bread, it was just as a spur of the moment decision to actually go to a pizza shop.

I have a couple of weeks before the biposy - do you think I should try and increase my gluten slowly before then? If my body has only been getting small amounts of gluten will the biopsy show up as negative? How long before damage shows?

On a positive note, I came across a gluten free grocery shop today after googling what is in my area. Took a drive up there (about 1/2 hr away) and it was a gluten-free/DF/WF foodie heaven.

edited to add: I stopped eating bread etc because I often had cramping....didn't feel quite right. I made no connections until now.

mushroom Proficient
Mushroom, I maybe only eat bread once a week (if that). I tend to eat rice cakes, rice crackers, lots of potato chips, but no cake, biscuits and no rice/pasta. I suspect the gluten I am getting is from contamination and the things I haven't really looked into yet (like the gravy, soup, lollies). I make my own homemade pizzas using pita bread, it was just as a spur of the moment decision to actually go to a pizza shop.

I have a couple of weeks before the biposy - do you think I should try and increase my gluten slowly before then? If my body has only been getting small amounts of gluten will the biopsy show up as negative? How long before damage shows?

On a positive note, I came across a gluten free grocery shop today after googling what is in my area. Took a drive up there (about 1/2 hr away) and it was a gluten-free/DF/WF foodie heaven.

edited to add: I stopped eating bread etc because I often had cramping....didn't feel quite right. I made no connections until now.

Did your doctor know you haven't been eating much gluten when he ordered the biopsy? They normally like for you to be eating a pretty gluten-full diet for at least a couple of months before the biopsy for a clear result. It does sound like you have not been eating much at all except for the pita bread. And if you gave up the bread and pasta because of cramping and haven't been getting it lately (except for that slice of pizza :P ) then you have probably done quite a bit of healing. You would still get a little gluten from the lollies, package soup mixes and gravy, but maybe not enough to cause the kind of damage that would show up on biopsy. If you have already been diagnosed as celiac, is there some other reason they want to do the biopsy?? because I personally don't think it would be worth the agony of eating all that gluten just to get a positive celiac biopsy result. It could be that your doctor is looking for something else, but you really should tell him that you have been pretty much off gluten for some time. If he knows anything about celiac he should know that it will probably not tell him much, except if he is looking for something else. Just MHO. By the way, after you have give up gluten you do seem to get a worse reaction to it if you eat it again, which sounds like what happened to you with the pizza.

Lucky you for finding a gluten-free heaven!! I am envious. By the way, hope you were not affected by the fires :(

Mysh Rookie

Thanks again Mushroom - lots of food for thought. My next visit is to the gastroenterologist so I guess that's something I can bring up with about (about my gluten intake). I am wondering whether a trip to a dietitian might be helpful although I tend to find that a good forum is more than adequate if you get some good advice.

I'm about 2 hours from the bushfires so no drama here. My partner and 5 yr old son were camping up in Kinglake the weekend before the fires, so we have a lot to be grateful for.

georgie Enthusiast
What do you mean by hidden gluten found in natural flavours or gluten from wheat? By law any ingredient which contains wheat much be stated on the label. Glucose syrup from wheat is safe to eat as there is no detectable gluten.

I react to trace amounts of gluten. If the label has wheat listed I don't touch it as I have reactions before. Natural flavours can have gluten - especially if they are brought into Australia already processed. I have been caught by some processed foods that way - even if labelled gluten-free . It is the fine print you need to read. Unless I make it myself from basic ingredients I can't trust it.

Have you read the celiac.com list ?

https://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsaf...ents/Page1.html

georgie Enthusiast
My next visit is to the gastroenterologist so I guess that's something I can bring up with about (about my gluten intake).

Michelle, I am curious why you are having a biopsy if you have already been dx by blood work ??? Apart from making the Dr richer - what is the point ??? You react badly when you try to eat Gluten , and have the positive blood test - is that not enough proof ? The sad thing is - that your biopsy may be a false negative if you have eaten gluten light for years. Or if they biopsy the wrong part... Have you had a genetic test ?

Mysh Rookie
Michelle, I am curious why you are having a biopsy if you have already been dx by blood work ??? Apart from making the Dr richer - what is the point ??? You react badly when you try to eat Gluten , and have the positive blood test - is that not enough proof ? The sad thing is - that your biopsy may be a false negative if you have eaten gluten light for years. Or if they biopsy the wrong part... Have you had a genetic test ?

Georgie, I've actually just done a post regarding this in another thread. I'm not sure I even want to go through a biopsy. I'd rather just get some good advice and change my diet. Waiting for some feedback as to the pros and cons.

I guess part of my concern is the doctor who diagnosed me making the comment "Oh, just as I thought, you are celiac........but you are not a bad one"

She has no idea what I do and don't eat, so she has no idea how much my diet has already been modified these past few years.

I've had no genetic testing but would consider it as I have 3 children. I think it's quite expensive here in Australia though.

Anyway, comments really appreciated.

georgie Enthusiast

Hi Michelle, My genetic test was free - just a normal free blood test. Maybe worth asking as a positive + positive antibodies + symptoms IS Coeliac....

The endoscope may be useful to check for damage and pre cancerous lesions ( sorry) but as far as a diagnostic - may only be 50:50. Now that you are nearly there I would be inclined to have it done anyway - but be prepared for a false negatve , and also plan to say bye bye to the Dr as she appears clueless !

The local Coeliac Society has good info if you join. There are usually expos each year as well. There is also a good Australian yahoo group that helps a lot. Open Original Shared Link I took a while to adjust but once you find a few favourites foods and recipes again then it starts to get easier. Certain situations are still hard - like eating out at local Pubs or with family - but in general it does gets better as you learn more. You really have to be so careful of cross contamination and trace amounts of "hidden" gluten.

Good luck. Hang in there ! It does get better!

Archived