Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply

956 replies to this topic

#271 MissWingBat

MissWingBat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:01 AM

MMMMMmmmm Marshmallows - haven't really thought about them since going gluten-free but now thanks to that post I am craving them! Will have to go to Priceline and check it out.

Is there a mega official list (or member list) of products like that, and choc, and chips (all the good stuff) that I can access? The only ones I can find only have American foods on them. Just want to know, for like icecream, and everyday products that I have written off since going gluten-free.

I was just cooking dinner and found that the stock chicken cubes I buy are gluten free - they are not advertised on the front "GLUTEN FREE!" but if you read the fine print, it says Massell Stock are certified Gluten Free. They are MASSELL, 7's. I bought them at Woolies and they are Australian.

Everyone probably knows about them but I feel like getting a gold star everytime I find something gluten-free!!

PS. My kids results came back today and they DO NOT HAVE COELIACS!!! YAYAY!! :rolleyes:
Mum to 3 wonderful "mini-me's"
Misdiagnosed for how long!
Dx with celiac disease Aug 2007
gluten-free since Oct 2007 (I'm gettin' there!)

DD1, DS2 & DD3 >> ?
Husband just loves fishin'...
[/color]

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#272 Wombat

Wombat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:34 AM

MMMMMmmmm Marshmallows - haven't really thought about them since going gluten-free but now thanks to that post I am craving them! Will have to go to Priceline and check it out.
PS. My kids results came back today and they DO NOT HAVE COELIACS!!! YAYAY!! :rolleyes:

I found this on the Cadbury website, the ingredients to marshmellows ..

http://www.cadbury.c....php?pageId=207

Congrats to your kids being S.D. Free! :D

Cheers
:)

#273 Joss

Joss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:38 AM

I am so glad that the little Wingbats are celiac disease free. Aussie Peg sent me a long list.

#274 MissWingBat

MissWingBat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:17 PM

Thanks Joss, its certainly a relief! Now we have to work out why they act so RAAA!!!!!!

I have been trowelling through the old posts from this forum and taking notes of recommendation of which brands and products and where they are available, like a list of all McD's foods I can order if I go there. It just gets very confusing when you are in the shops and ingredients are swimming before your eyes. I went to lunch with my mother the other day and even though the waiter was helpful, it was still hard to make a gluten-free choice.

I will have to ask 'preeetty' pls to Aussie Peg to send the list through - it's a bit hard to say that I have to have this certain brand of gluten-free food because someone else told me to eat it! No really, just letting you guys who have been the guinea pigs and have tasted the nice and not so nice gluten-free stuff pave the way.

Thanks again everybodies!

DD1, DS2 & DD3 >> ?
[/color]

#275 Joss

Joss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:22 PM

MissWingBat I can forward Aussie Pegs list if you pm your email. Or you can send Peg a PM.

One of the nice things I discovered today was that Muffin Break make gluten free muffins. They are made first and the tongs are isolated and don't touch any other muffin in the store. The ones I had today were apple berry and were very nice. They are $4.40 each and I bought 2, cut them in half and put them in the freezer. I cut them in half because they will thaw quicker that way.

I also bought some Freedom Foods Vege-Spread from the health section of Woolies. It's quite nice, very soft and would make a great casserole enhancer. I too am learning and even though I though I was following a gluten-free diet for the last 3 months, I really wasn't. There is so much to learn about cross contamination issues.

I also have to learn the lingo here. I now know that CC means cross contamination and the DX means diagnosed. D and C were easy enough, but there are still some that baffle me. Someone used OS the other day. Now coming from Australia os usually means overseas.

Joss

Lingo = language

#276 MissWingBat

MissWingBat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:49 PM

Yes Joss it takes time for the lingo, the DD and the gluten-free, celiac disease's, DX, LMAO and BTW's.

I have also discovered Muffin Break, I love their savoury muffins but are a bit cautious. I asked in depth what the process is in making them, they go in early and make them up before making the other muffins etc, etc. No CC. But then the other day I went in for a lunch snack, and asked for a savoury muffin, to which the guy said, it'll be 3 mins as they are still in the oven (?). So then, when it arrived, he said, "Fresh out of the oven for you!" which was weird, as it was stone cold. I had to get him to put it into the mike to warm it up. So, instead of asking and causing a fuss, I ate it (Because I was out with friends and didn't want to blahblahblah). I'm newly diagnosed so I'm still not sure of attacks etc, but as far as I know I was ok. I think.

Does anyone know anything about OBENTO rice vinegar, and the 'glutinous' rice it contains? I had a huge attack yesterday (couldn't move arms or legs) and was wondering if it was the sushi rolls I made or the strongbow I drank. Or do symptoms attack like 24 hours after consuming?

BTW Joss, thanks for all that info (THANKS AUSSIE PEG!) that is legendary and saved me SO MUCH TIME!! It will be my inhouse bible for my bag now!

DD1, DS2 & DD3 >> ?
[/color]

#277 Joss

Joss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:44 PM

MissWingBat first Aussie Peg would have forwarded that info to you, but I just happened to be online so I sent it instead. I only hope I did not step on any toes. I keep it on my desktop handy to use at a moments notice.

Next never ask them to put it in the microwave to warm up as this could lead to cross contamination
( I learnt that the other day) I am very dubious about their savoury muffins anyway. It sounds as though there are some major problems at that store. Each one is owned and operated separately.

Last night I used a pessary (prolapsed bladder) and straight away I had tummy pains and cramps, so I must find out what the fillers are.

There is an article about glutenous rice here: http://www.glutenfre...showtopic=25996

Joss

#278 Aussie Peg

Aussie Peg

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:49 PM

I'm so happy everyone is finding my info so helpful!!! You're welcome to email it amongst yourselves, i don't mind at all :)

i'm thinking of starting a website to post all the info i gather coz i discover new stuff all the time!

I just got tested for allergies to tomato, nuts, seafood, and dairy so it'll be very interesting to see the results next week!

I bought some gingerbread biscuits today from mrs flannery's and they're so yummy! they're made by iron pot foods (http://www.ironpotfood.com.au/) which makes some other gluten free treats as well (some are dairy free too :))

I'm having a gluten-free pizza from Pizza Capers tonight for a treat, they're so delicious although i have had a mild glutening from one once due to cross contamination but once isn't bad for the amount of times i've had them...and I can't resist! :)
Peggy from Brisbane, Australia
28 years old

>Gluten Free since December 2005
>Salicylate Sensitive (elimination diet, October 2006)
>HLA-DQ2 gene (tested June 2007)
>Soy Free, Coconut Free 2010
>IgG tested 2011, now also Egg Free, Chicken Free, Garlic Free
>Leaky Gut Syndrome confirmed 2011
>Dairy Light

#279 MissWingBat

MissWingBat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:21 AM

Hello Aussie Peg (and others!)

How do you get tested for the other allergies? Is it through your normal doctor or a naturpath?

I think it definitely was the sushi somehow because I guinea-pigged myself the next day without the kids and 1/2hour after eating it again I was out-for-it for 2 hours. Then later in the day I drank a strongbow with no side effects (apart from feeling good!!) So I wonder, what, in sushi (Rice, rice vinegar, sea weed, prawns, avo, cuc and carrot) could have made me feel that way.

I see that you are only 25 Aussie Peg, what a shame I don't live in Brissi anymore. But I can't beat the weather up here and its great being in a town where you can get anywhere within 15 minutes. I see the traffic jams in Brissi on the news here, and then the storms you've been having - ARGH!

Joss, thanks for the info on Muffin Break, I'll watch that next time and will ask again about their cooking processes. Does seem a bit suss!! Can I ask - what is a pessary bladder?

Aussie Peg - where is Mrs Flannerys? Is it a chain store?

Ok, it's friday night and that's time to go let my hair down (as soon as the kids go to bed!!) YAYAY!

MWB

DD1, DS2 & DD3 >> ?
[/color]

#280 Aussie Peg

Aussie Peg

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:52 AM

Hi misswingbat!

I just went to my GP and told her about my symptoms and i wanted to get allergy tested. I took a list of food suspects and so she ordered 4 RAST tests (you get blood taken at a blood collecting place like sullivan nicolaides which then goes to a lab to do the testing, any more than 4 RAST tests a year and you start paying lots for them). She also told me to make an appointment with an allergist which i have done but as there are only 3 or 4 in brissie, i couldn't get an appointment until the end of January! I'm sure if my symptoms were very serious i'd get in earlier though.

Thats very strange about the sushi, I can't think what it could be except for CC. Did you make it on a chopping board which is also used (or has been used in the past) for bread or anything else glutany? Very curious!

We were up at the barrier reef the other day and it really is beautiful up north! A little too toasty for me though! :) I'm loving the storms around, they're so exciting, of course I don't like the destructive ones!

Mrs Flannery is a health food chain store, heres the website : http://www.mrsflannerys.com.au/
They have lots of gluten and dairy free stuff, though many of their products can be bought at the supermarket for less money. I'd avoid the containers you scoop food out of yourself though as i've had CC issues with them.

Muffin break has lots of info on how their gluten-free muffins are made on their website and all the ingredients for them too (i'm sure some shops aren't as careful as others though): http://www.muffinbre...ns/default.aspx

Enjoy setting your hair free tonight MissWingBat!! :)
Peggy from Brisbane, Australia
28 years old

>Gluten Free since December 2005
>Salicylate Sensitive (elimination diet, October 2006)
>HLA-DQ2 gene (tested June 2007)
>Soy Free, Coconut Free 2010
>IgG tested 2011, now also Egg Free, Chicken Free, Garlic Free
>Leaky Gut Syndrome confirmed 2011
>Dairy Light

#281 Joss

Joss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:41 AM

Aussie Peg I think I ordered a Toastabag yesterday. I placed my order and paid with my credit card. Then I was informed that I would be notified soon about the final price. Somehow I find this a bit strange. I hope I get my little toaster mate sometime soon.

Miss wing Bat I have a prolapsed bladder and a pessary is used to treat this condition.

Joss

#282 MissWingBat

MissWingBat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:19 PM

Well, llok at that, you learn something new everyday!! Thanks Joss. I'm a bit of a dork sometimes.
I love this forum, I learn all new stuff and go and research into it. Joss, I didn't really go into the finer details whilst looking it up, but something did catch my eye about cocoa butter being used with pessaries. I can't remember which site but that may be the cause of your problems... ??

The cutting board I used was a general one Aussie Peg, I didn't think I was at 'that stage' but it certainly is something to note. I used the toaster after doing the kids toast yesterday to do some gluten free fruit bread (and, well, it was sorta ok... after I sprinkled SUGAR on it!! :D ) It just is a totally different taste to... bread! What is a toaster bag anyways - (a bag you put your toaster in! ha!)

My bro has arrived from Cairns today so we are having a BBQ with big fat steaks. YUM! Have a great sunday afternoon!

DD1, DS2 & DD3 >> ?
[/color]

#283 Wombat

Wombat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:05 AM

anyone else here go to the Celiac Clinic at the Royal Melbourne Hospital???

#284 MissWingBat

MissWingBat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:59 PM

Hi there,
I have just received an email from Unilever with a 3 page doc outlining all their gluten free products. It has such brands as continental, Bertolli and like the chicken tonight varieties. If anyone is interested in it, I'll be happy to email it to you.

I actually contacted their company to find out which of their streets icecreams are gluten free, but this is a bonus!

I received my Celiac pack from the QLD society yesterday, is anyone else a member? Did you find the info handy? I got a range of free samples of food products too, like a bag of JellyBelly beans which are so nice.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

DD1, DS2 & DD3 >> ?
[/color]

#285 Saz

Saz

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:31 PM

Firstly, Thanks to Aussie Peg for that info. :D

Does anyone else find that adding cornflour and bi carb to muffins helps them to rise? I left these out of some muffins I made yesterday and they didn't rise :angry:

Also just wondering if anyone is having trouble getting the Deigo's corn tortillas? My local Coles have been out for over a week, I haven't checked anywhere else but a week is a long time to be out, so just wondering if anyone knows anything.

I'm not sure how long ago this happened but I just discovered that Cadbury have updated their chocolate list. It now includes things such as Mint flakes which are ok!

oh, I tired the Basco Honey O's and they aren't bad, I've found I have to have milk on them but other than that they make a nice change.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: