Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply

956 replies to this topic

#16 Ruth52

Ruth52

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:33 PM

Hi Aussie Peg,

The Lansell Cottages bread mix comes out really well. The only adjustment I make to their breadmix is to add a heaped teaspoon of Xanthum gum. It makes up really well in the bread maker but I think it would be just as good done with an electric beater and cooked in the oven

I've also been trying to find sorghum flour and the only supplier I can find is 'Tribes ...?'. It is an online shop that markets african type food (very expensive). My son gave me a recipe book by Cynthia Meares and in it she has a wheat free alternative flour mix that uses Amaranth, Maize, Rice, Soy and Arrowroot flours and so I thought I would give that a try. At least I can find the Amaranth flour.

I also use the Basco cakes mixes and find the best results come from beating the eggs, water and butter first and adding the dry mix after that. I also find that I get better results when I cook in steel tins as opposed to aluminium. The seem to cook more evenly.

Have a great day.

Ruth

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 nadinec

nadinec

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:05 PM

Hi Guys

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here. I am a kiwi, but live in Sydney and am a diagnosed Celiac (for about 1.5 years now). I am also pregnant so have to be really careful about what I eat.

Just thought that I would let you all know that Wheat Glucose syrup is fine for Celiacs to have. There is no detectable gluten in it and it was OK'ed by the Celiac society earlier this year. That opens up heaps of lollies to eat, but you sitll have to watch out for Wheat Starch.

I eat Pascall chocolate eclairs, Gourmet Jelly Bellies and for those of you in NZ, wine gums and jet planes are gluten free.
So all enjoy...
I really miss m&m's as well but they have Wheat Starch in them...

I have an ebay store which you might all be interested in as well. I am absolutely addicted to the Carob ginger gem cookies and carob licorice.

http://stores.ebay.c...luten-Free-Food

What I find really hard is finding a local takeaway that I can eat at. Every thai place that I go into coats their meat in flour and it is all pre-coated - I really miss thai...

That's about all for now.
Nadine

#18 tonyevans

tonyevans

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:14 PM

I spotted some gluten free nut bars in the supermarket today from the nice and natural company....has anyone tried these before?"

Hi

Yes Nice N Natural bars are a favorite here, I buy about six packs a week.java script:add_smilie("B)","smid_9")
cool.gif

We're also getting Live Well products her now, Jam tarts, bakewell tarts and bramley apple tarts... all very nice and another Company called Forever free which are K.

No gluten-free beer here yet but I did try some in Uk earlier this year, one was pleasing and the second tasted like I remember Barley Wine tasting. Tried another In Canada last year.
I'll stick with cider but it's another loooooong wait for some true Scrumpy.java script:add_smilie(":(","smid_16")
sad.gif

#19 Aussie Peg

Aussie Peg

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:00 AM

Here's the website for the dishwashing liquid: http://www.naturesor...m.au/splash.htm
They said that all their dish wash and hand wash are gluten free so hopefully its available everywhere!

I just looked up the lansell cottage website and there's a stockist right near me so i'll have to try some out, it looks really good from what i can tell, huzzah! I just found a pack of basco butter cake mix in my cupboard so i'll try your method Ruth, i cant wait for cake, CAKE!! *drool*

My dad knows all sorts of agricultural stuff and said that queensland is a big producer of sorghum so thats weird that we cant find it anywhere, humph, i'll have to call around and see if anyone can get it in for me.

Thats great that you're feeling healthier and happier Kaycee! Twas my pleasure to send vibes your way! I really should get out and go for walks in the fresh air.....if only my elderly cat would encourage me with a leash in her mouth lol :) That must be hard not having any time to yourself to relax though, i'm very lucky i can do that!

I haven't tried the tamari soy sauce, is it just available in health shops? i'll keep my eyes out for it, sounds promising!

If i can't pinpoint my sore throat cause in a week (hopefully it is lack of suger lol, wouldn't that be grand!), i'm going to the doc so I might end up getting the allergy screening, its scary that there could be other things i'm not aware of that could be sneakily affecting me! i'll let you know how it goes :unsure:

i've only been gluten free for about 9 months and i started it on just a hunch not expecting the amazing results i got, so i wish i had known before starting the diet that i wouldnt be eating gluten again.....oh the things i would have eaten! :P

Hi nadinec, my dietician did tell me that wheat glucose syrup and the caramel colour are fine for most coeliacs as they have less than 0.002% gluten but i still get D and other issues from the wheat glucose syrup so i guess that small amount still gets me, dang! I really miss thai too! green curry and all the entrees were heaven, if only i could replicate such delicacies.

I ended up buying the nice and natural nut bars in the original and chocolate flavours, they ARE delicious! My jaw did drop somewhat when i saw the fat content though (trying to lose some weight), about 10g per bar, jimmeny crickets!

I best be off to bed now,
night night everyone, hope you have a great day tomorrow! :)
Peggy from Brisbane, Australia
28 years old

>Gluten Free since December 2005
>Salicylate Sensitive (elimination diet, October 2006)
>HLA-DQ2 gene (tested June 2007)
>Soy Free, Coconut Free 2010
>IgG tested 2011, now also Egg Free, Chicken Free, Garlic Free
>Leaky Gut Syndrome confirmed 2011
>Dairy Light

#20 Ruth52

Ruth52

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:24 PM

I found the Tamari soy sauce in the health food section at Safeway, also saw it in health food section in the Coles Supermarket.

Ruth

#21 Aussie Peg

Aussie Peg

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

thanks ruth, i'll see if i can find it today!
i'm pleased to report that my sore throat has gone and i'm feeling much more alive! i cut out dairy, corn, egg and stopped using my usual lip balm and moisturiser yesterday so one of them doesnt agree with me. i'll be slowly re-introducing them to see which is the culprit, yay, i feel tops...so far lol :)
28 years old

>Dairy Light

#22 Kaycee

Kaycee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:23 AM

That is the hard bit, slowly re-introducing things. I have eliminated soy, and milk and peanuts and a couple of other things, like legumes. I have been waiting for the symptoms to settle down, but they have not. Still have a bit of D. So I am clutching at straws, and wondering what next to remove from my diet, thinking what can I remove?

I have noticed a difference without the milk, which gave me a sore tum, as in gas and bloatedness. Peanuts I think were bad and so was soy. But then I can't be sure they were the culprits, as I still had D.

But over the weekend I think I have had a breakthrough. After about 12 days straight with D, I have only just successfully had three days without any sign of diarhoea. What you may ask is my answer? I think it is just that I have been bringing my own thermos to work, instead of using the work zip. Sounds crazy, I know but it is working. The zip is one that is continously on the boil, and is fed with filtered water. I asked the caretaker today when he had last changed the filter, and he just said, "oh I con't know, not for a while. But I am okay" Grrrrr. So he turned around and said he would be onto it today.

Now hopefully, things have settled, I will then like you Peg, be able to re-introduce things slowly and see if I have any reactions.

Glad your throat is feeling better Peg. But it is that time of the year, and they are around. So far I have not had a cold yet this winter. Maybe it has passed me by.
Cathy

#23 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:16 PM

It has been a beautiful day here. One out of the box. Makes me feel good to be alive.
All has gone quiet here on this thread. I don't like to put too many entries in back to back, but would like to see this thread keep going.

There is a wine in the fridge chilling nicely. All dem children at school were good today, the weather makes such a difference to their attitudes and behaviours.

My 16 year old son, my baby, is doing his penultimate year at school, and got his report back today. Two subjects with complete A's. Am I allowed to gloat? Of course. But same son is worrying that he might have coeliac too. He has a couple of problems, but it could be stress, time will tell. But I should not leave it too long for time to tell!

Well I will catch you all later.
Cathy

#24 Aussie Peg

Aussie Peg

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:51 PM

Hello!
i've just come back from the shops with a giant bag of mr mallow marshmallows!! YUM!! Its crazy hot here today, about 30 degrees! in winter!

Thats so impressive about your sons results Kaycee!! Indeed you are absolutely allowed to gloat! :) I too shall gloat about my great hair day - its so soft and shiny today! lol :) I hope he doesnt have coeliac and it is just stress causing the issues, once all his assessment is over hopefully all his problems will subside!

I do believe i've tracked down the food issue i've been having to tomatoes or corn, i'm gobbling all things corny today but not touching anything tomatoey so we'll see how i feel tomorrow. I'm going to get allergy tests done soon too just to see what things i should watch out for so that should be interesting.

I got glutened 2 days ago, entirely my fault :ph34r: I went out to coffee with a friend from school and ordered a soy cappucino, hold the chocolate sprinkle, and I didnt think to ask if it was gluten free (i've never ordered coffee with soy milk so i'm just used to assuming cappucinos are fine). I got a lot of brain fog and fatigue that afternoon so emailed them (coffee club) to discover that their soy milk (and chocolate powder sprinkle) contains barley (and the chocolate powder sprinkle isnt gluten-free either but i avoided that)! uhoh! i had awful tummy and intestinal pains with nausea for about an hour, then it subsided to just mild pain and feeling generally not well which lasted a couple days.

I'm doing well now though and, as I diagnosed myself with coeliac, it was reassuring in a way as i often have doubts in my head that gluten is the issue so it was good proof!......well bad proof really :wacko:

Thats amazing that taking your own thermos to work stopped all the D! I hate to think what state the filter is in!

I hope everyone is doing well and hasnt encountered any gluten and is enjoying soft hair :P
Byeeee,
Peggy
28 years old

>Dairy Light

#25 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:27 PM

I've already had my share of mr mallows today. Yummy. Such a big bag, do they come smaller. Anyway, there is enuff in there to share. I won 't be mean!

Sorry you glutened yourself. It must be quite reassuring for you to know that that is what the problem is. I know before I was diagnosed, I always wondered, and sometimes had to have a sammy cause, I didn't know what the answer was. And to make it worse, sometimes I would react to gluten and other times I would not. But the longer I am gluten free, the worse the reactions, and there is no doubt in my mind that it was gluten. But the doubt now, what did it? Like you said the low feelings for me last a few days, and I am not a nice person to be around. I go into myself and become uninspiring, my sense of fun has gone awol.

I'm not sure about the thermos. But I have not had d for 5 days. Whereas before I had it for about 15 days straight. It gets me down. But I will keep taking my thermos, I look crazy in the lunch room doing it, but I would rather do it than risk being sick. I just don't trust things like I used to. Caretaker has not changed the filter yet! Spoke to the boss about my concerns, and he said it is easy, just change the filter, and that I had to nag the caretaker till he does.

I have not encountered any gluten for a week, what it was I don't know. But it was the brain fog etc. The other D is just that, D on its own, so I know it is not gluten. I soyed myself today, I had a can of tuna with soy oil in it, and I just wanted to have tunas for lunch. So it will be ineresting to see how I react to the soy tomorrow. Maybe it has just been the water all along.

Soft hair days are nice. I have had frozen hair, have you? From hanging out washing in the freezing down south a couple of months ago. My wet hair went solid, a bit like the towels on the line.

Soft hair is nice. I always get told when I get it cut, that I have a lot of hair, as in quite thick and plentiful, and lots of grey too, as I refuse to dye it anymore. Had enough of that. But it is usually soft and fine, but thick. Wash it everyday, with real expensive shampoo PPS for sensitive hair.

Cathy

#26 AussieJade

AussieJade

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:02 PM

Another Aussie Coeliac checking in :)

Yes guys! Wheat Glucose Syrup is fine for us! The protein that is gluten is completely taken out - so need to worry :D It opens the doors thats for sure :)

Uhmmm .. theres a lollie joob we can eat in the Australian confectionary brand (the "Dont eat the dinosaur dadday" brand lol). There are a lot of lollies and choclates once u disregard the glucose syrup! :D
Posted Image

#27 tee

tee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:24 AM

Hi,

I'm a kiwi! Just wanted to add a few things, the nice and natural bars are fantastic, yum yum yum. apparently the melbourne expo was great, over 10,000 people went! the best chocolate you can buy is fairtrade dark chocolate, gluten free, dairy free, and sooooooooooooooooooo yum! plus you will be doing a great service to all those cocoa farmers out there that usually live off the smell of an oily rag because they don't get a fair market price for their beans. (sorry rant over). I'm a bit jealous of those americans, sounds like they have heaps of yummy products on sale. Oh and I lived off the "don't eat the dinosaur daddy" lollies for the first 3 months of my pregnancy.
My favourites are san remo pasta range (just like the real thing, I think), and Venerdi bread. We have just got the Livwell range at Pak n Sav. My god they are expensive, $12 for 4 white rolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Personally I make a lot of foods myself, but then I have the luxery because I'm a stay at home mum. I've found bin inn to be quite good at stocking gluten free stuff, certainly cheaper than a lot of places.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. If you want a bit more information about where to buy and eat, check out my website. There are a few recipes there as well.
Cheers,

#28 Aussie Peg

Aussie Peg

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:31 AM

Good evening! Welcome tee and aussiejade! :)

where can i buy this fairtrade chocolate you speak of tee? is it in oxfam (community aid abroad) shops? sounds great! i love the san remo spaghetti too, just had it tonight with bolognaise, i prefer orgran for pasta though - the rice and corn stuff tickles my fancy :)

i'm still on my other food allergy/intolerance hunt, onions or corn methinks! i woke up with a sore and swollen throat the other day, it was a bit scary so i had some antihistamine and it went down after a while :blink:

i bought some dairy farmers 6 pack of little custard tubs today, they're great! each pack has vanilla, caramel and chocolate flavours and i'm in healthyish dessert heaven! they're low fat and have lots of calcium, probably full of sugar though but still, better than the things i usual have after dinner!

i discovered changs does a crispy gluten free rice noodle now too! i used to love their normal crispy noodles in the special noodle salad and now i can make it with the rice ones! yay!

i think my tummy is still recovering from the recent glutening, i just cant eat much food without feeling a bit sick but its almost back to normal so thats good :)

how was everyones weekend? we've had a lot of rain today and last night which is a welcome relief from the drought! it was such a great sound to hear the rain pouring down, a sound we havent heard in a long time, i got so excited lol :P

how did u go with the accidental soy-ing kaycee? i hope it didnt affect you much!

i've never had frozen hair lol, we're off to the UK at the end of the year for a holiday so i might experience it then in the freezing weather, i hope my hair doesnt snap off! :) i use pps leave in hair moisturiser which keeps my hair in line, i havent tried their shampoos/conditioners yet though, i've been using moogoo brand stuff. it smells so good (like milk bottle lollies and the conditioner smells like peaches and cream lollies *drool*) and keeps my hair and scalp happy. my hair goes super frizzy if i dont use a gentle shampoo so i cant get away with the supermarket stuff which can be annoying but worth it :)

again, i have rambled enough ;)
hope to hear from you all soon! let me know if you find any new delicious products!
28 years old

>Dairy Light

#29 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:45 AM

Hello everyone
Yes I got over the soy-ing. It wasn't too bad, can't remember much about it now. But it gives me a weird scent in my nose, and weird smelling poop. Just what you wanted to know.

But worse, this weekend I did the gluten thing. I thought, yes I will be safe, while they have their burgers at McD's on Sat, I will have a garden salad and coffee. So I ate my plain undressed salad, and drank my coffee. Where they hid the gluten in that I don't know, but it was somewhere. It was a boring salad anyway.

Tee I have had a quick look at your site, I will get back into it tonight after work. It looks good,have just registered.

Just a short ramble, the school bell will be ringing soon.

It will be a quiet day, they are all off to a show, leaving the booklady (me) in her library in peace.

Cathy

#30 tee

tee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:46 PM

Hi

Yes Peggy, you get the chocolate from Oxfam, or TradeAid in NZ. it's a bit on the expensive side but boy is it moorish and such a treat ($5.90 big bar). I do volunteer work there, if only i could exchange my time for chocolate :D .
Thanks for looking at my site Cathy. I came up with the idea when I went to Dunedin for a friends wedding and realised that I had no idea where I could eat or shop. There is a positive side to feeding a baby at 4am (that's when I get my ideas).
Hope you are both feeling better. Oh and Cathy, to be honest, I've given up on the whole McD's thing, if you want takeaways, hell pizza do a gluten free base, just watch what toppings you get.
Have a good day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: