This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

AussieJade Rookie

Another Aussie Coeliac checking in :)

Yes guys! Wheat Glucose Syrup is fine for us! The protein that is gluten is completely taken out - so need to worry :D It opens the doors thats for sure :)

Uhmmm .. theres a lollie joob we can eat in the Australian confectionary brand (the "Dont eat the dinosaur dadday" brand lol). There are a lot of lollies and choclates once u disregard the glucose syrup! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tee Newbie

Hi,

I'm a kiwi! Just wanted to add a few things, the nice and natural bars are fantastic, yum yum yum. apparently the melbourne expo was great, over 10,000 people went! the best chocolate you can buy is fairtrade dark chocolate, gluten free, dairy free, and sooooooooooooooooooo yum! plus you will be doing a great service to all those cocoa farmers out there that usually live off the smell of an oily rag because they don't get a fair market price for their beans. (sorry rant over). I'm a bit jealous of those americans, sounds like they have heaps of yummy products on sale. Oh and I lived off the "don't eat the dinosaur daddy" lollies for the first 3 months of my pregnancy.

My favourites are san remo pasta range (just like the real thing, I think), and Venerdi bread. We have just got the Livwell range at Pak n Sav. My god they are expensive, $12 for 4 white rolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Personally I make a lot of foods myself, but then I have the luxery because I'm a stay at home mum. I've found bin inn to be quite good at stocking gluten free stuff, certainly cheaper than a lot of places.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. If you want a bit more information about where to buy and eat, check out my website. There are a few recipes there as well.

Cheers,

Aussie Peg Rookie

Good evening! Welcome tee and aussiejade! :)

where can i buy this fairtrade chocolate you speak of tee? is it in oxfam (community aid abroad) shops? sounds great! i love the san remo spaghetti too, just had it tonight with bolognaise, i prefer orgran for pasta though - the rice and corn stuff tickles my fancy :)

i'm still on my other food allergy/intolerance hunt, onions or corn methinks! i woke up with a sore and swollen throat the other day, it was a bit scary so i had some antihistamine and it went down after a while :blink:

i bought some dairy farmers 6 pack of little custard tubs today, they're great! each pack has vanilla, caramel and chocolate flavours and i'm in healthyish dessert heaven! they're low fat and have lots of calcium, probably full of sugar though but still, better than the things i usual have after dinner!

i discovered changs does a crispy gluten free rice noodle now too! i used to love their normal crispy noodles in the special noodle salad and now i can make it with the rice ones! yay!

i think my tummy is still recovering from the recent glutening, i just cant eat much food without feeling a bit sick but its almost back to normal so thats good :)

how was everyones weekend? we've had a lot of rain today and last night which is a welcome relief from the drought! it was such a great sound to hear the rain pouring down, a sound we havent heard in a long time, i got so excited lol :P

how did u go with the accidental soy-ing kaycee? i hope it didnt affect you much!

i've never had frozen hair lol, we're off to the UK at the end of the year for a holiday so i might experience it then in the freezing weather, i hope my hair doesnt snap off! :) i use pps leave in hair moisturiser which keeps my hair in line, i havent tried their shampoos/conditioners yet though, i've been using moogoo brand stuff. it smells so good (like milk bottle lollies and the conditioner smells like peaches and cream lollies *drool*) and keeps my hair and scalp happy. my hair goes super frizzy if i dont use a gentle shampoo so i cant get away with the supermarket stuff which can be annoying but worth it :)

again, i have rambled enough ;)

hope to hear from you all soon! let me know if you find any new delicious products!

Kaycee Collaborator

Hello everyone

Yes I got over the soy-ing. It wasn't too bad, can't remember much about it now. But it gives me a weird scent in my nose, and weird smelling poop. Just what you wanted to know.

But worse, this weekend I did the gluten thing. I thought, yes I will be safe, while they have their burgers at McD's on Sat, I will have a garden salad and coffee. So I ate my plain undressed salad, and drank my coffee. Where they hid the gluten in that I don't know, but it was somewhere. It was a boring salad anyway.

Tee I have had a quick look at your site, I will get back into it tonight after work. It looks good,have just registered.

Just a short ramble, the school bell will be ringing soon.

It will be a quiet day, they are all off to a show, leaving the booklady (me) in her library in peace.

Cathy

tee Newbie

Hi

Yes Peggy, you get the chocolate from Oxfam, or TradeAid in NZ. it's a bit on the expensive side but boy is it moorish and such a treat ($5.90 big bar). I do volunteer work there, if only i could exchange my time for chocolate :D .

Thanks for looking at my site Cathy. I came up with the idea when I went to Dunedin for a friends wedding and realised that I had no idea where I could eat or shop. There is a positive side to feeding a baby at 4am (that's when I get my ideas).

Hope you are both feeling better. Oh and Cathy, to be honest, I've given up on the whole McD's thing, if you want takeaways, hell pizza do a gluten free base, just watch what toppings you get.

Have a good day.

Ruth52 Newbie

Hi everyone,

The weather is great down here (Victoria), spring is just around the corner.

I've bought three gluten free cookbooks and I am trying recipes from all of them. - Changing Habits Changing Lives, Wheat-Free World and Gluten-Free Baking Classics. Some of my attempts are ending up in the bin, but that can happen with any new recipe. The only problem I am having with the Gluten-Free Classic is that I can't source the Sorghum Flour. Apparently in Australia Sorghum is our third highest producing grain crop but we feed it to the cows and don't mill it as flour. I am also having trouble finding Millet Flakes - apparently there is a shortage. Anyway I am trying Amaranth Flour instead of Sorghum and we will see what happens.

I have been cooking low-fat for so long that it is hard to convince myself that putting oil in a bread mix is a good thing, but I am finding that the food that does turn out OK is more tasty than it's gluten counterpart.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Kaycee Collaborator
Oh and Cathy, to be honest, I've given up on the whole McD's thing, if you want takeaways, hell pizza do a gluten free base, just watch what toppings you get.

Tee

I know what you mean about the mcd's thing. It was my first salad for 8 months. Sometimes I just want to be able to do the eat out thing that the hubby and sons are doing, instead of sitting there looking into thin air. I thought the simpler the better, but I was wrong. That will be my last one there. Next time I will keep shopping while they eat. I did think of hell's pizza once, but I am still a bit scared of food, and I do need to loose a bit more weight. I will get there one day.

cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

westie Newbie

Hi there

I am in Auckland, are you NZ guys aware of www.mfd.co.nz, I found it really useful when we first arrived here from the UK as the products are so different!!! well the ingredients are anyway!

Kaycee Collaborator

Westie, thanks for that, I am well aware of the mfd site. When I joined the coeliac society here in nz, they put me onto it. It was my bible to start with, but now, I only go there occassionally, as the labelling of food is quite good here. How does it compare to England?

Another site I used to go all the time was Open Original Shared Link, it has all the lists of food additives etc, and how safe they are and what they can cause eg cancer. There are some items that they tell for coeliacs to avoid. It is a bit scary. Som of the additives we have here, like 123 (red) is banned in the united states. So why do they put it in our food here?

I agree different places, same food different ingredients.

Like the mm's in America, I think they are gluten free, but here I think they have wheat glucose in them. Some say that is fine, but I am being so careful, I avoid that. I think if I knew they were okay, I would eat more, so it is probably better this way, not eating them.

Hay a great day, wasn't it wonderful yesterday, got all my garden weeded!

Cathy

Aussie Peg Rookie

Hello y'all!

i hope everyone had a great weekend for fathers day! i've just put a belated fathers day roast pork in the oven, i've never cooked one before with proper crackling and whatnot so i'm hoping it turns out ok :)

I made delicious brownies the other day from a recipe in the AIA (australian institute for autism) gluten and dairy free cook book, its got some great recipes which all tell you what they are free from (like dairy free, egg free etc). Irrisistables for the irritable is a great book too, its got some delicious meal ideas as well as baking treats, i can eat a whole batch of chocolate shortbread in one sitting, no wonder i've put on a few kilos!

i'd love to hear more about the products and ingredients in the UK too westie, i'm heading there for a holiday at the end of the year and am a little scared about surviving gluten free...i did read that milkyway milkshakes are gluten free so thats always good lol :)

Thats worrying about additives being banned in other countries but are used here, i wonder why they're allowed to use them? i know aspartame is banned in some countries too but is in heaps of things here, i always avoid it because my mum started getting brain fog type reactions from it when she chewed gum everyday. This website: Open Original Shared Link has great info on the nasty food additives in aussie and new zealand food, if you scroll down there are blue buttons and one gives a list of additives to avoid, really interesting site!

Ruth, how did the baking turn out? did substituting the sorghum flour with amaranth work ok?

Kaycee, whats it like working in a library, i've always wanted to work in one but there just arent any jobs unless you're qualified as a library technician....not sure i'd be any good at reading stories to kiddies though :ph34r: I hope you're system has recovered from the soy and glutening!

i went to the dietician on thursday about all the strange food related symptoms i've been having, she thinks it could be from histamine releasing foods and is sending me a booklet on the elimination diet which i will start as soon as it arrives. i've started to avoid the foods she suspected and am already feeling better, i think it might also be histamine rich foods that mess with me. i even went on the exercise bike today! :D

i hope everyone has a great symptom free week! :)

Mango04 Enthusiast

Hi Aussie and Kiwi peeps...I have a question....

In the US oats are off limits because they are all known to be contaminated with wheat. Is that the case in Australia? Just curious...

Oh and food additives in general are evil IMO, but trust me, it's waayyy worse in the US.

B)

Ruth52 Newbie

Cross contamination is the big problem with oats. I did find some biodynamic oats that were supposed to have been milled in an oats-only environment but I wasn't willing to risk it (I don't like oats that much anyway).

Kaycee Collaborator

Mango,

There seems to be debate about oats here too in kiwiland. I will not risk it, they just scare me.

I have discovered rice porridge, and it is yummy.

Peg, working in a library is awesome.

I worked my way up there, one minute I was cleaning the floors and now I am in the library, and loving it. Watch out principal, I might be after his job!

I am not qualified, but I spend my days there putting the books onto the system etc. I do not read to the children, as their teachers do that, and they do a wonderful job. It is never boring.

Yes Peg, I am coming right, it is a battle to say the least. Sometimes it feels like two steps forward and one back.The more basic the food, the better.

Wasn't that a shame about Steve Irwin. It put the whole of the family into shock. Poor guy and poor wife and kids

Cathy

westie Newbie
Westie, thanks for that, I am well aware of the mfd site. When I joined the coeliac society here in nz, they put me onto it. It was my bible to start with, but now, I only go there occassionally, as the labelling of food is quite good here. How does it compare to England?

Another site I used to go all the time was Open Original Shared Link, it has all the lists of food additives etc, and how safe they are and what they can cause eg cancer. There are some items that they tell for coeliacs to avoid. It is a bit scary. Som of the additives we have here, like 123 (red) is banned in the united states. So why do they put it in our food here?

I agree different places, same food different ingredients.

Like the mm's in America, I think they are gluten free, but here I think they have wheat glucose in them. Some say that is fine, but I am being so careful, I avoid that. I think if I knew they were okay, I would eat more, so it is probably better this way, not eating them.

Hay a great day, wasn't it wonderful yesterday, got all my garden weeded!

Cathy

Hi

Yes to the lovely weather, I hope summer is on the way, 1st for us can't wait!!

The labelling in the UK was great, really easy, as from late last year every product had to be labelled as containing gluten, or gluten free, so no more searching on each product!

I guess I am just getting used to the labelling here, and yes things like m&m's were gluten-free in england, along with much more that is not gluten-free here, but I'm getting there slowly!

Kaycee Collaborator

New Zealand and Australia manufacturers are meant to to show whether food contains gluten, and all the other common intolerances or allergens. But I don't think it always does, as I have been caught out. So I still read the labels. If I am in doubt I will not touch it. Flavourings and colourings tend to be my biggest concerns.

Lovely weather has gone and quite misty this morning.

Got to smile and put on my best dress as there are school photos today. I hate them.

Cathy

lisawil Newbie

Hi all, I'm on the Gold Coast, and haven't visited this site for ages. Don't know whether this will post in time or be read in time - but there is a GLUTEN FREE EXPO in Brisbane Tomorrow!! Sat 9th Sept. Its at the Mercure Hotel, North Quay, Brisbane city. The Coeliac Society are having their AGM first at 9am, then the expo is from 10am until 2pm. Should be lots of great things i would think. I'm hoping that Rocco Sorrelle will be there - they are a restaurant on the Sunshine Coast that also sell the BEST pasta and pizza bases that i have ever had. Are you guys also aware that Muffin Break also now do gluten free muffins? They usually have a couple of different types, and they usually vary each day. I believe all the stores will have them. They taste GREAT!

Will try and keep up with the site for a while

Lisa :blink:

Kaycee Collaborator

At the beginning of the week Steve Irwin died, and now , yesterday I heard that Peter Brock has died. It is so mind boggling and shocking.

Two famous Australians in one week, it would make you worried to be a famous Asustralian. Lets hope bad luck does not run in threes.

Cathy

Ruth52 Newbie

I grew up watching Peter Brock drive, I never thought he would be killed in a race - can't even remember him having a bad accident. I guess even Peter Perfect had his limits - a very sad end to an era.

Saz Explorer

WHHHHHHOOOOOO!

I'm so happy I found this section, I only found these forums a few days ago and here I was thinking I was the only Aussie, but wouldn't ya know there are even some Queenslanders on here.!

I've been finding it a bit of a struggle at the moment, I am not very sensitive and have to eat a fair bit to get any symptoms, so for the last four years I have been eating more and more ot the point where I have been eating far to much. :unsure:

Not been super sensitive I don't coun't something like vegemite on a biscuit.( provided the biscuit is ok to eat of course)

Has any one tired the muffins from muffin break? They are awsome! Jamaca blue also do sandwiches on gluten-free bread (and don't charge extra!)

I tired the Woolworths pizza base the other day and it was nice enough that I will def have it again. Also the Wollies gluten-free version of Tim Tams are good. I also like Eskal pretzals and the Lemon wafers you get are just great.

Products from the gluten free bakery are good, there Nenish tarts is something I really like.

Has anyone tired the Basco self saucing pudding? If so is as good as there other stuff?

Also be Wary of birds eye oven roast potatoe, I bought some garlic and rosemary ones the other day and didn't bother to read the ingredients (yes I realise thats my fault but thats the last thing I was expecting to be bad) anyway they have wheat in them.

Kaycee Collaborator

Hello Saz,

Glad you could find us.

Just a note about the oven roast pototoes, I don't think we get these here in NZ, but on a similar vein, quite a few frozen chip varities have flour in them. I find that totally appalling, as I can not order chips from the fish and chip shop, and if I want to make oven fries, there are only a couple of brands I can have. They are never quite the same, expecially if I have to put the work into cooking them!

Did I hear you right and you said there were gluten free Tim Tams? Would only happen in Australia, mainly cause I am not there. Next time I go over to visit my sons, I will bring back 20 kilos of gluten-free tim tams. Wonderful, they might eventually sell them here, as they sell nearly every other arnot biscuit.

Since Arnott's is Austrailan owned, do you know if their rice cakes/biscuits with the whole in them are gluten free? There has been a bit of an argument over here in one of the forums about them not being gluten free anymore, but I can't see anything on the packet that would suggest gluten. I am confused.

Hope to see you again.

Cathy

Shiba Newbie
Did I hear you right and you said there were gluten free Tim Tams? Would only happen in Australia, mainly cause I am not there. Next time I go over to visit my sons, I will bring back 20 kilos of gluten-free tim tams. Wonderful, they might eventually sell them here, as they sell nearly every other arnot biscuit.

Since Arnott's is Austrailan owned, do you know if their rice cakes/biscuits with the whole in them are gluten free? There has been a bit of an argument over here in one of the forums about them not being gluten free anymore, but I can't see anything on the packet that would suggest gluten. I am confused.

Hope to see you again.

THe Arnotts Rice biscuits with the hole in the middle are actually listed as special dietary food, and are meant to be gluten-free. We've used them with no reactions, which is a good indication.

The gluten-free Tim Tams are actually Woolworths own brand - in their fairly new 'FreeFrom' range.

Ruth52 Newbie

I've tried a few things from the Woolies Freefrom range. The chocolate cake mix was a disappointment, it has a strange taste, sort of more caramel than chocolate. I find the Basco cake mix range as good as any home made cake I have made - their chocolate cake is really good and I just add bananas to the vanilla cake mix and it makes a great banana cake (though I haven't made that since the cyclone went through the banana plantations.)

I have a recipe for Anzac biscuits that uses millet flakes instead of oats, but because of the drought (so they say) I am having trouble finding millet flakes. I would rather make my own food from scratch because everything we buy seems to be loaded with additives and preservatives - nothing is what it is supposed to be.

Kaycee Collaborator
I've tried a few things from the Woolies Freefrom range. The chocolate cake mix was a disappointment, it has a strange taste, sort of more caramel than chocolate. I find the Basco cake mix range as good as any home made cake I have made - their chocolate cake is really good and I just add bananas to the vanilla cake mix and it makes a great banana cake (though I haven't made that since the cyclone went through the banana plantations.)

I have a recipe for Anzac biscuits that uses millet flakes instead of oats, but because of the drought (so they say) I am having trouble finding millet flakes. I would rather make my own food from scratch because everything we buy seems to be loaded with additives and preservatives - nothing is what it is supposed to be.

Nothing is like it used to be. Nothing is made the same way as before. It looks the same, but does it taste the same? Yet people still eat it. It is convenience that sells.

I know I was guilty once. I did not mind the amount of additives and preservatives I was eating, could be becasue I did not know what was in the food. It was food, it was easy to prepare when in a rush and the children would eat it. How was I to know what was in it, or why would I have cared?

It is not until I had an intolerance diagnosed, that I looked closely at the labels, especially the ingredient list, then realise that I do not know what dextrose, maltodextrin or soy lecithin is, to name a few things, let alone what the number 261, or 102 meant. It is at this point that I began to wonder about all those additives in our food. The first to get the heaveho was msg, followed closely by citric acid. I am not sure whether they are problems for me or not, but a lot of things in processed foods sound evil. I have done a complete turn around, and feel I do better without all the extra additives and preservatives. I have finally got to the stage where I prefer to eat food that is more natural, than food that is laced with additives. But I do know that if I relax my vigilance with what I eat, I go backwards as far as D is concerned.

I went to a tupperware party tonight. A work colleague was hosting it, and I thought she knew about what I could have and not have. But she did not, as she thought I was worried about sugar and salt intake. She either thought I had high blood pressure or diabetes!

It was quite a scream the party. Everytime our tupperware dealer tried to sell a product, like the microwave pieces, she (the host) even though it was her party, and she was in to earn some tupperware for herself, she wanted to know who had a microwave, and we all had except for herself, and then she would go on about how bad microwaves were for our health! Then she would go on about how bad plastics were for us. I don't think she was doing herself or the tupperware dealer any favours by going on so much. But I did spend a bit of money. Our dealer was quite a character, being a male and gay at that, it was quite a night. He did an awesome job of selling the product despite the hosts comments. I also learnt from the host how bad innoculations etc are. A very educational night, but we are all adults and can make our minds up about all the things she was going on about.

Still it is getting late, I must go to bed, think I have gone on enough.

Cath

tee Newbie

Kaycee Collaborator

Tee,

I am not sure about your last comment, but I feel you are having a dig at me, I feel that is totally inappropriate and uncalled for.

Cathy

Archived