This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

Saz Explorer

we get the delush biscuits here in Oz. Yum. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tee Newbie

i'm sorry if i gave you the wrong impression cathy, i wasn't having a dig at you at all. all i meant to say was that i discovered, after doing a bit of research, that microwaves and plastics seem to be a dangerous combination. personally i would stay clear of them. that's all.

Kaycee Collaborator

Tee,

Thank you for clearing that up.

All I was trying to do was point out the irony of the situation on Saturday night, it was funny and I agree quite serious.

Okay, I had had a couple of wines, and I guess, I should not be in charge of a computer at times like that.

Cath

Mango04 Enthusiast

Has anyone tried Monster Muesli? It's gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, preservative-free and uses all low allergy ingredients. It's good :-). I get it in the health food section of Woolworths.

MauriceGreene Rookie

Question for New Zealanders:

I like using mfd.co.nz I think its really great but how much do you trust it? Like I had some cottage cheese last night which was gluten free on the list (country goodness cottage cheese) but then I read on the ingredients that it has additive 1422, a thickener which can be made from maize or wheat? My question is how reliable is it? A bible for those gluten free?

Kaycee Collaborator

Hello Maurice,

To start with the the mfd was my bible. It was good, but I think it has it's faults. Not everything in there agrees with me, but that is probably just me. But it was good while I was adjusting. On top of that, there are a lot of foods not mentioned in it, so really I still have to read labels and get to know what things are.

But I hardly use it now.

Here is a site that I found, and you might be interested in it, and I did use it for a while as well Open Original Shared Link Just type in the additive number and then you can highlight what you've found and it tells you what it is and if there is any known adverse affects it can create. A few of the items have a reference to coeliac, so it is interesting. I checked up on 1442 and it appears to be okay for us. I am more interested in food additives, as I think I can work out whether something has gluten in it or not. But it is the additives I personally want to know about what they are and where they come from.

Cath

tracey* Rookie

Hellooo Aussies :) So glad to have found you!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Saz Explorer

Warning about Macaday maccadamia nut bars, some have a gluten free sticker on them, however the Rocky road and a another type( i cant remember wich one) both say contains wheat products in the ingredients list. I wish the company would learn.

Aussie Peg Rookie

helloooo again,

i havent posted in ages! i've been a busy bee of late and am going somewhat mad on this elimination diet, i'm eating the same things everyday! i'm feeling fantastic though, completely myself again with tonnes of energy thank goodness! i start my first challenge on friday - salicylates for a week which means i get to introduce some more flavours in my diet, yay!

Ruth, i would love that recipe for millet anzac biscuits if its not too much trouble to type it out (or you could send it to me:)). I havent been looking for millet flakes so i'm not sure if i'll be able to find them...are they like rolled millet?

I've bought the monster muesli before, and the 'simple' brand too, i usually make it into cinnamon muesli biscuits which are delicious! Here's the recipe:

WHEAT & GLUTEN FREE MUESLI COOKIES

Makes 18

3 cups Simple gluten free muesli (or other brand)

1 cup Healtheries Ground Rice Flour (or other brand)

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

125g unsalted butter, softened

1 cup brown sugar

1 egg

Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine the muesli, rice flour, cinnamon and baking soda in a bowl.

In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the egg and beat well.

Pour dry ingredients into the butter mixture and stir to combine. Mix thoroughly.

Grease or line biscuit trays with baking paper. Place tablespoonfuls of mixture onto the trays and flatten slightly with a fork or palm of your hand.

Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are cooked but centres are still soft. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.

(from the healtheries website: Open Original Shared Link )

I hope everyone is well and are enjoying some lovely warm days! :)

Saz Explorer

WHOOOO! I made the best discovery in the history of the universe tonight!!!!! :P:D

Gluten Free Ice cream cones that taste good!!

The company is called Barkat. It is imported by Summerland Products and services.

I got it from a health food shop. The guy said that he got them at a gluten-free expo he went to in Melbourne. This company also make cereals like chocolate cornflakes and some of those instant rice meals. Anyway the good news is that they can continue to order them in.

Back to the Ice cream cones- They do cost about $15 but you get 24 of them and they aren't the kind of thing that you eat everyday.

I also got some of the organ choc chip Biscotti- they are quite good!

If you're like me and gave up o health food shops I reccomend you start looking in them again, and look in several as they all have different things! It seem to me that a new gluten-free product seems to come out just about every month!

Sorry if I just bored you all to death but I was so excited about the Ice cream cones, I just had to share!!! :)

Kaycee Collaborator

No I am not bored Saz. It is precisely how I feel when I find something I can eat, that I have so totally been missing out on. I still need to find licorice allsorts.

I have done the health food shops, with being a small city there are only a couple of health food shops, but we do have a wonderful alternative type shop which has just about everything you can imagine it, and what makes it better is that the owner is gluten free, so she knows where we are coming from.

I made a really decadent caramel slice yesterday, and it worked out, and even the non gluten free eaters could not find fault with it.

The Coq and Pullet Deli's Gluten free Caramel Slice, Timaru

Base

75g butter

1/2 cup sugar

1 large egg

1tsp vanilla essence

1 cup gluten-free flour

1tsp gluten-free baking powder

Caramel

1/2 cup sugar

2 tbsps golden syrup

150g butter

3/4 can sweetened condensed milk

Topping

1 and 1/2 cups chopped gluten free chocolate

Preheat oven to 180 C

Soften the butter slightly

Add the sugar and cream well

Add the egg and vanilla and cream some more

Add the dry ingredients

Pour into a greased and lined sponge roll pan, making sure that the lining comes well above the rim, so that you can lift it out with ease.

Bake until the base springs back when touched, about 15 minutes.

Combine the caramel ingredients in a saucepan and gently simmer, until melted.

Spread over the cooked base and place back in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until browned.

Once cooled, melt the chocolate in the microwave for a minute at a time, until smooth. Pour over the cooked base and spread with a knife.

Makes 16 slices.

tracey* Rookie

Did anyone else enjoy the Gluten Free Gourmet Food Expo today out in Homebush (NSW)?

:)

mackmackmackie Newbie
Did anyone else enjoy the Gluten Free Gourmet Food Expo today out in Homebush (NSW)?

:)

I had a great time at the Expo on Saturday. It was great trying so many different types of food. I was a bit dissapointed that it focused mainly on baked products, rather than having a few more varieties of sauces, etc.

Anyhows, I just found this site. I'm from Sydney and work in the City.

Does anyone know any places in Sydney CBD that serve any gluten-free products for lunch and dinner? A lot of places seem to serve coffee and gluten-free cakes....but cakes shouldn't be eaten every day!

Through my own two searching and the NSW Coeliac link i've found these places...haven't tried them all out yet....not sure if they all are still open!!

I've got a million questions since I was only diagnosed with Celiac about 3mths ago....

so if anyone can answer or help me out with the following questions or any further advice, please email me at mackmackmackie@gmail.com

Which coffee shops have gluten free products? Starbucks is fine, but Gloria jeans doesn't seem to be so open about giving out info. *I'm mainly concerned about hot chocolates here* :P

Does anyone have product lists from manufacturers about gluten free products?

I'm sure there'll be more, see if I can answer other ppls questions later!!

Wharf Restaurant, Hickson Road, Pier 4 Walsh Bay 9250 1761 - ring beforehand (Society Certificate Member)

Gloria Jean's Gourmet Coffee, 1-25 Harbour Street 9267 0279

Gloria Jean's Gourmet Coffee, 450 George Street 9223 2760

Swiss Deli Westpac Plaza 9247 8599

Juiced, 225 Clarence Street 9290 3583

Market Place Restaurant, Sydney Hilton Hotel, 259 Pitt Street 9266 2000

MIO Expresso, Shop A3, The Galleries, 2 Park Street, Citigroup Centre 9269 0162

The Art Gallery Café, Art Gallery Road

The Ivy Café, Shop 209, Level 2 Sky Gardens, 77 Castlereagh Street 9223 3448

The Sydney Wine Room: Restaurant & Wine Bar, Goldfields House, 1 Alfred Street, Circular Quay 241 4636

Christos’ Café, Lower Ground Floor, Sydney Central Plaza, 450 George Street 9232 6111

Wellbeing, 10-20 Bond Street

Wellbeing, Lower Ground Floor Queen Victoria Building

Wellbeing, 345 George Street (enter via Barrack Street)

Wellbeing, 115 Pitt Street

Wellbeing, 9-19 Elizabeth Street

Wellbeing, Cnr Bathurst Street & Castlereagh Street

Muffin Break, Centrepoint (Professional Member)

Muffin break, MLC Centre (Professional Member)

Muffin Break, Sydney Central Plaza (Professional Member)

Cellini’s Bar & Restaurant Shop 48 Queen Victoria Building Level 2, 455 George Street 9264 4671 (Professional Certificate Member)

Global Burgers , Shop 4, 106 – 110 Darlinghurst Street 9356 4535

Hart.net Café 100 Clarence Street, Sydney

Salad Works in the City in Hunter Street

Sushi Shop next to Subway in Mid City Centre

Aussie Peg Rookie

I just sent you a monster email full of info i've collected mackmackmackie :)

If anyone else wants me to send it to them i'd be happy to! :D

tracey* Rookie

I'd LOVE more info Peg :)

Aussie Peg Rookie

Just sent it tracey :)

Saz Explorer

Hey

In my experience Gloria Jeans are not gluten-free food friendly. The ones in where I live don't seem to offer any cake/ biscuit of any kind! I can't help you with whats in their drinks though.

I don't know if there is one near your work but I can get gluten-free free open grill type sandwiches from Jamacia Blue, they also seem to have at least one sweet treat but they are very expensive.

Moving right along.... I have found the best gluten-free Muesli! It is Macadamia Muesli and the company is Brookfarm. It seriously yummy! slightly expensive though ( but what isn't if its gluten-free free)

There is a website www.brookfarm.com. au (i've not been here)

tracey* Rookie

If Gloria Jeans stock 'Gourmet Treats from Heaven' - then you can eat that :)

Open Original Shared Link

Mango04 Enthusiast
Anyhows, I just found this site. I'm from Sydney and work in the City.

Does anyone know any places in Sydney CBD that serve any gluten-free products for lunch and dinner? A lot of places seem to serve coffee and gluten-free cakes....but cakes shouldn't be eaten every day!

Hi -

There's a place in The Rocks called DARE (Delicious and Responsible Eating). Just look for the huge sign that says "Gluten-Free Food!" :) They have a good selection of gluten-free meals. I also really like Iku Wholefood. Their menu indicates which items are safe for us. It's expensive but really good. The other place in the CBD I like is Pure Juice and Soup Bar in Hunter Connection near Wynyard. The owner is very friendly about disclosing ingredients. They actually only have one soup that contains gluten and it says so in bold letters on the menu.

I went to the gluten-free expo Saturday but there was really nothing there I could eat due to my other allergies. The only item I found that was gluten, dairy and soy free was full of preservatives. Oh well. I did taste some beer. That was exciting. :)

Oh and I wanted to add....

I LOVE Roberto's muffins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! :)

I've found them at Salad Works, some little deli in Potts Point on Macleay St. and U Eat Healthy in Surry Hills. The chocolate ones are soooo good :) :) :)

momentomoment Newbie

Hi Peg, I am newly diagnosed end of July and live in Brisbane and would love that information

Japsnoet Explorer

“Kansai sushi gelato espresso” Shop A 70 Pitt Street Sydney serves gluten & dairy free gelato. They serve the www.puregelato.com.au brand. Both Hub and I enjoyed it.

I can second my support for Iku Open Original Shared Link I buy all my gluten free lunches there. Have a look on the link they show where all their branches are.

In Australia Square they sell gluten free Nougat by Nougat Limar www.nougat.net.au at the dquare coffee shop. The coffee shop that shares the back entrance of Australia square with the new pub that has opened up at Australia square. Think the pubs name is O'Ryan. There where the CBA ATM usually stands. The entrance enters from the dead-end little road right next to 280 George Street. Hunter street runs parallel with it.

Saz Explorer

Hey guys

I was giving some recipies that call for Easy cooking pasta (spaetzle) mix.

I have not heard of this, so am thinking that it may be American.

Anyway I would just like to know if any of you guys know what it is and if we get here in oz?

tracey* Rookie
“Kansai sushi gelato espresso” Shop A 70 Pitt Street Sydney serves gluten & dairy free gelato. They serve the www.puregelato.com.au brand. Both Hub and I enjoyed it.

I met these guys at the Gluten Free Expo last week - I'm planning a trip to the factory :D

Open Original Shared Link are my favourite corn chips ever - and they happen to be gluten free and organic :)

I have a blog with alot of gluten free food entries in my area. PM me if you want the link :) I'm not sure whether I can post it here.

Japsnoet Explorer

Tracey

You possibly would be interested in the October addition of Delicious Magazine Open Original Shared Link The front page shows of a gluten free dessert and they have ear marked a number of other gluten free dishes in the magazine. They have started doing this regularly.

Another really handy Free gluten-free magazine Everyday Health is published by Orgran

The magazine features wonderful gluten free recipes in all you need to do is write to Everyday Health Magazine, 47 –53 Aster Ave Carrum, Downs Vic 3201 and just provide them with you name and postal address. A number of prominent Australian gluten free writers Ruby Brown, Carole Hofflin, Yvonne Voorthuizen gluten-free recipes are published in the magazine.

Be great to see your blog. I’m also a member of coeliacaustralia@yahoogroups.com found them very helpful.

I regularly read the recipe side of glutenfreeforum Scott has a great website going here.

Japsnoet Explorer

Mackmackiemackie

Have you tried Zaffraan Open Original Shared Link in Sydney. They a fabulous Indian restaurant. If you ring them before hand and just remind them on the night that you need a gluten-free meal they bend over backwards.

They made 3-course meal dairy, gluten and yeast free and we all had a very tasty meal without getting sick.

The Coeliac Society of NSW Open Original Shared Link has a list of all gluten-free restaurant in NSW. Click on places to eat. You can also request from the other state society members Open Original Shared Link a list of restaurants in their state if they not printed on their website. :P

Archived