Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply

958 replies to this topic

#541 Kim69

Kim69

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:59 PM

Hi weluvgators. I live in melbourne. We have lots of restaurants and a huge variety of specialties such as Indian, thai, Malaysian, Greek and Italian. When eating in country towns I stick to simple pan fried fish and veggies.

Oh and you MUST try the Grill'd fries- they are gluten-free and are to die for! When at this yummy fast food joint I ask for a chicken burger gluten-free style without the gluten sauces (they know) and without the bun (they do offer a gluten-free bun but it is gross and amounts to about a weeks worth of carbohydrate!)

Sydney and Perth I found difficult as a traveller especially for a quick lunch. I had mcdonalds fries and a salad  At Italian restaurants you will have difficulty - check at all restaurants whether the risotto is gluten-free. Even if they say it is, it may not be
May 2010 Diagnosed coeliac via biopsy - on gluten-free diet, now not anaemic
March 2010 Still Anaemic and very fatigued, abdominal pain still (Drs had thought it was related to abdom operation)
May 2009 Anaemic - had abdominal surgery; hysterectomy to remove large fibroid
March 2009 Vestibular neuritus (not sure if related but who knows!)
November 2008 Depression (still on meds - working well)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#542 Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:49 PM

Oh and you MUST try the Grill'd fries- they are gluten-free and are to die for! When at this yummy fast food joint I ask for a chicken burger gluten-free style without the gluten sauces (they know) and without the bun (they do offer a gluten-free bun but it is gross and amounts to about a weeks worth of carbohydrate!)

Be really, really careful when eating at Grill'd because their cross contamination awareness and control is absolutely non-existent!

They do have gluten free buns and the staff can tell you which toppings are gluten free..... However:

1) All the buns go through the same toaster thing and it is covered with crumbs;
2) They use the same spatulas to scrape toppings on to all the buns (gluten and no gluten) and then stick them back into the containers;
3) They hold all the buns over the toppings as they scrape them on and you can see big crusty bits of toasted bun fall into the containers;
4) And if you actually visually survey the containers of toppings you can see bits of (non-gluten free) toasted bread sticking out of them.

After I watched them put a gluten free burger together for me (you get a really good view of this at the Brunswick St Grill'd store), I walked out and never went back.

Their chips are probably okay because they don't deep fry anything else. But I wouldn't be getting a burger from there either with or without the bun.

I think Lord of the Fries now offer a gluten free burger but I haven't checked that out yet

#543 Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:54 PM

Have you discovered Mrs Parma's in Little Bourke St yet?

http://www.mrsparmas.com.au/

They have a gluten free menu with 8 different kinds of chicken (and vegetarian) parmagianas on it. They also have gluten free beer.

I eat there a lot and have never had a problem.

#544 Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

You should also try Hooked Healthy Seafood to Go in Prahran and Fitzroy if you feel like fish and chips.

They have a gluten free menu and can do gluten free chips, and fish and calamari in glutne free batter. They have a dedicated gluten free fryer. They also have optional gluten free soy sauce if you want to get the rice and bok choy instead of chips.

http://www.hooked.net.au/

#545 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

I finally found a tasty cracker made by Orgran - Deli Crackers - multigrain with poppyseed (made with brown rice and sorghun - no corn, soy, potato Yay!!!) They are more like a chip than a cracker, great for dipping. Try them, you'll lovel them.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#546 Glutinator Girl

Glutinator Girl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

Hello everyone, this is a huge thread! I'm going over to the Gold Coast and staying at Broadbeach, does anyone know of resturants or shops that are gluten free there?

#547 kiwibird75

kiwibird75

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:33 PM

Just thought I'd crop up and say hi! Aucklander here... mostly able to be gluten free even when we eat out these days.

Recommendations for places to eat out where they have options or are particularly helpful:

Squid Row - top of Symonds St - heaps of choices and when I selected one particular option the kitchen came back out to me and said they had checked the label on the spices and that it "may contain traces of gluten" so perhaps I'd like to choose another option! Let them know you need to see the allergy listing menu - lists dairy, eggs, gluten, fish, garlic and from memory a couple of other things too.

The FoodStore - down on the Viaduct - lovely fresh food - open kitchen so you can see exactly what is going on, and lots of options listed as gluten free. They were happy to discuss my concerns re CC and because I could see into the kitchen I know they took me seriously!

Dine by Peter Gordon - Sky City Grand Hotel - we had the shorter pre-theatre menu and they had some lovely options for me and were happy to make substitutions to make sure everything was okay. I phoned ahead here to check if there were options and they not only advised that there were, but marked on our booking that I was coming and celiac and made sure to point the options out before I even had to ask.

The New Brew Pub - Albany. There are definitely options here, and I'm working with the owners to make sure that there is no risk to anyone (they're friends of ours).

The cafe at Snow Planet had a completely separate gluten free menu and used the fabulous gluten-free breads made somewhere in Matakana.

Fatimas - they offer a gluten free wrap option for your pita. Have eaten here many times and never had a reaction.

The Chip Shop at the Royal Oak roundabout - they have a gluten free menu and cook it all in a separate vat... yummy for that fix that I had been missing.

That's all I can think of for now - will continue to update as we try more places since I'm lucky enough to have a supportive SO who loves to eat out and will go to great lengths to make sure there is food available for me too.

#548 MissBonnie

MissBonnie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

Why can't Australia import gluten-free oats? I SO miss my muesli!

they do. coles has them in their gluten free section

#549 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

Oh, but you see, we don't have coles here in Kiwiland, only lots of coals :P
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#550 Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:59 AM

Are you sure? I've never seen them. Just because they are in the healthfood aisle doesn't mean they are gluten free. You can't legally label oats gluten free in Australia. How are these labelled?

#551 Aussie Farmer

Aussie Farmer

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

HI everyone :) I've been sitting around for a few days with the good old belly burn again so for the first time I started to google the world of celiac info,,,, to distract my bellyburn :huh:

I have been Gene tested ,positive celiac 9 mths next week and I have experienced some good weeks now and then on my new gluten-free lifestyle but have had a rough week so here I am for the first time !!!!

WOW, THANK YOU ALL, I FEEL MENTALLY BETTER than i have felt in 9 months just by reading so much info on this site and hearing about so many familiar stories.

Thanks again for now and I hope you can all feel my big hug to you all :)

#552 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:38 PM

For anyone from or who has travelled to the uk I have found a online grocery shop that exports groceries overseas.

They have a special diet food section that includes things like naan bread, bagels and crumpets, which I've not been able to find in Australia. There are also a few other things in the other sections which are gluten-free, but aren't labelled so you need to know what your looking for.

Just be aware that the labeling laws are a bit different over there, so it might be an idea to do a bit of research just to make sure. I'm sure you could find out the ingredients list of the products featured. Some of the products featured are the supermarket own brands and I know some them list the the ingredients of the products on their websites.

www.britsuperstore.co.uk

I've not ordered anything from the site but plan to soon, I'm starting to get sick of the same stuff from coles, woolies and the health food stores.

Oh and regaurding the oats from coles. I think the poster may have meant the Freedom foods ones. These are only labeled as WHEAT free. You can buy rice porridge from lowan which is gluten-free.
If you add some stewed fruit or honey it tastes fairly good.

#553 Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:28 AM

I don't think the Freedom oats are anything special. It's just a marketing ploy to whack a label on something that's wheat free naturally.

I don't think they actually have to test the oats to label them wheat free like they do with gluten. If that's the case then they're no better than regular oats.

Yeah. I like the Lowan Rice porridge brand. I liked it even better when I could afford to buy a banana to chop into it.

#554 Niandra_lades

Niandra_lades

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:32 AM

hey all,

33 year old guy from Melboure recently diagosed with Fustose Malabsorption. :angry: :P

Any other Aussies with FM here?

Hope everyone is doing good.

#555 ElseB

ElseB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

I live in Canada, but I just wanted to say how much I miss Oz and NZ! Two months after I was diagnosed Celiac I started a 6 month trip around Oz and NZ and loved your countries! Plus, I found it so much easier to find gluten-free food there than here. I was stunned that the tiny grocery store in Cooper Pedy had more selection of gluten-free food than the biggest stores here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: