arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply
928 replies to this topic

#46 Shiba

Shiba

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:39 AM

Did I hear you right and you said there were gluten free Tim Tams? Would only happen in Australia, mainly cause I am not there. Next time I go over to visit my sons, I will bring back 20 kilos of gluten-free tim tams. Wonderful, they might eventually sell them here, as they sell nearly every other arnot biscuit.
Since Arnott's is Austrailan owned, do you know if their rice cakes/biscuits with the whole in them are gluten free? There has been a bit of an argument over here in one of the forums about them not being gluten free anymore, but I can't see anything on the packet that would suggest gluten. I am confused.
Hope to see you again.

THe Arnotts Rice biscuits with the hole in the middle are actually listed as special dietary food, and are meant to be gluten-free. We've used them with no reactions, which is a good indication.
The gluten-free Tim Tams are actually Woolworths own brand - in their fairly new 'FreeFrom' range.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 Ruth52

Ruth52

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:12 AM

I've tried a few things from the Woolies Freefrom range. The chocolate cake mix was a disappointment, it has a strange taste, sort of more caramel than chocolate. I find the Basco cake mix range as good as any home made cake I have made - their chocolate cake is really good and I just add bananas to the vanilla cake mix and it makes a great banana cake (though I haven't made that since the cyclone went through the banana plantations.)

I have a recipe for Anzac biscuits that uses millet flakes instead of oats, but because of the drought (so they say) I am having trouble finding millet flakes. I would rather make my own food from scratch because everything we buy seems to be loaded with additives and preservatives - nothing is what it is supposed to be.

#48 Kaycee

Kaycee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:45 AM

I've tried a few things from the Woolies Freefrom range. The chocolate cake mix was a disappointment, it has a strange taste, sort of more caramel than chocolate. I find the Basco cake mix range as good as any home made cake I have made - their chocolate cake is really good and I just add bananas to the vanilla cake mix and it makes a great banana cake (though I haven't made that since the cyclone went through the banana plantations.)

I have a recipe for Anzac biscuits that uses millet flakes instead of oats, but because of the drought (so they say) I am having trouble finding millet flakes. I would rather make my own food from scratch because everything we buy seems to be loaded with additives and preservatives - nothing is what it is supposed to be.

Nothing is like it used to be. Nothing is made the same way as before. It looks the same, but does it taste the same? Yet people still eat it. It is convenience that sells.
I know I was guilty once. I did not mind the amount of additives and preservatives I was eating, could be becasue I did not know what was in the food. It was food, it was easy to prepare when in a rush and the children would eat it. How was I to know what was in it, or why would I have cared?

It is not until I had an intolerance diagnosed, that I looked closely at the labels, especially the ingredient list, then realise that I do not know what dextrose, maltodextrin or soy lecithin is, to name a few things, let alone what the number 261, or 102 meant. It is at this point that I began to wonder about all those additives in our food. The first to get the heaveho was msg, followed closely by citric acid. I am not sure whether they are problems for me or not, but a lot of things in processed foods sound evil. I have done a complete turn around, and feel I do better without all the extra additives and preservatives. I have finally got to the stage where I prefer to eat food that is more natural, than food that is laced with additives. But I do know that if I relax my vigilance with what I eat, I go backwards as far as D is concerned.

I went to a tupperware party tonight. A work colleague was hosting it, and I thought she knew about what I could have and not have. But she did not, as she thought I was worried about sugar and salt intake. She either thought I had high blood pressure or diabetes!

It was quite a scream the party. Everytime our tupperware dealer tried to sell a product, like the microwave pieces, she (the host) even though it was her party, and she was in to earn some tupperware for herself, she wanted to know who had a microwave, and we all had except for herself, and then she would go on about how bad microwaves were for our health! Then she would go on about how bad plastics were for us. I don't think she was doing herself or the tupperware dealer any favours by going on so much. But I did spend a bit of money. Our dealer was quite a character, being a male and gay at that, it was quite a night. He did an awesome job of selling the product despite the hosts comments. I also learnt from the host how bad innoculations etc are. A very educational night, but we are all adults and can make our minds up about all the things she was going on about.

Still it is getting late, I must go to bed, think I have gone on enough.
Cath

#49 tee

tee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:26 PM

[/quote]Did I hear you right and you said there were gluten free Tim Tams? Would only happen in Australia, mainly cause I am not there. Next time I go over to visit my sons, I will bring back 20 kilos of gluten-free tim tams. Wonderful, they might eventually sell them here, as they sell nearly every other arnot biscuit.
Since Arnott's is Austrailan owned, do you know if their rice cakes/biscuits with the whole in them are gluten free? There has been a bit of an argument over here in one of the forums about them not being gluten free anymore, but I can't see anything on the packet that would suggest gluten. I am confused.
Hope to see you again.
Cathy
[/quote]

hi cathy,

you can get biscuits in nz that are similar to tim tams and are gluten free. they are called delush (i think) and are delicious, but a bit expensive, i think about $6 a packet. nice for a treat though, you can get them from either avalon or putiputi ra. I have never had a problem with the Arnotts rice biscuits. As for the plastics comment and microwaves... I refuse to use a microwave now and esp would not heat anything up in plastics, they leech all sorts of chemicals into your foods. As you say we are adults and can inform ourselves and make choices, but I would seriously inform yourself.
cheers,

#50 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:18 PM

Tee,
I am not sure about your last comment, but I feel you are having a dig at me, I feel that is totally inappropriate and uncalled for.
Cathy

#51 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:23 AM

we get the delush biscuits here in Oz. Yum. :P

#52 tee

tee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:23 PM

i'm sorry if i gave you the wrong impression cathy, i wasn't having a dig at you at all. all i meant to say was that i discovered, after doing a bit of research, that microwaves and plastics seem to be a dangerous combination. personally i would stay clear of them. that's all.

#53 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:41 PM

Tee,
Thank you for clearing that up.

All I was trying to do was point out the irony of the situation on Saturday night, it was funny and I agree quite serious.

Okay, I had had a couple of wines, and I guess, I should not be in charge of a computer at times like that.

Cath

#54 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:04 AM

Has anyone tried Monster Muesli? It's gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, preservative-free and uses all low allergy ingredients. It's good :-). I get it in the health food section of Woolworths.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#55 MauriceGreene

MauriceGreene

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:17 PM

Question for New Zealanders:

I like using mfd.co.nz I think its really great but how much do you trust it? Like I had some cottage cheese last night which was gluten free on the list (country goodness cottage cheese) but then I read on the ingredients that it has additive 1422, a thickener which can be made from maize or wheat? My question is how reliable is it? A bible for those gluten free?
God sees you homie

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#56 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 03:01 PM

Hello Maurice,
To start with the the mfd was my bible. It was good, but I think it has it's faults. Not everything in there agrees with me, but that is probably just me. But it was good while I was adjusting. On top of that, there are a lot of foods not mentioned in it, so really I still have to read labels and get to know what things are.
But I hardly use it now.

Here is a site that I found, and you might be interested in it, and I did use it for a while as well http://foodadditives.org.nz/ Just type in the additive number and then you can highlight what you've found and it tells you what it is and if there is any known adverse affects it can create. A few of the items have a reference to coeliac, so it is interesting. I checked up on 1442 and it appears to be okay for us. I am more interested in food additives, as I think I can work out whether something has gluten in it or not. But it is the additives I personally want to know about what they are and where they come from.

Cath

#57 tracey*

tracey*

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:49 PM

Hellooo Aussies :) So glad to have found you!!!!!!
wheat free & yeast free since may '06
also lactose intolerant

#58 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:34 AM

Warning about Macaday maccadamia nut bars, some have a gluten free sticker on them, however the Rocky road and a another type( i cant remember wich one) both say contains wheat products in the ingredients list. I wish the company would learn.

#59 Aussie Peg

Aussie Peg

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:22 AM

helloooo again,
i havent posted in ages! i've been a busy bee of late and am going somewhat mad on this elimination diet, i'm eating the same things everyday! i'm feeling fantastic though, completely myself again with tonnes of energy thank goodness! i start my first challenge on friday - salicylates for a week which means i get to introduce some more flavours in my diet, yay!

Ruth, i would love that recipe for millet anzac biscuits if its not too much trouble to type it out (or you could send it to me:)). I havent been looking for millet flakes so i'm not sure if i'll be able to find them...are they like rolled millet?

I've bought the monster muesli before, and the 'simple' brand too, i usually make it into cinnamon muesli biscuits which are delicious! Here's the recipe:

WHEAT & GLUTEN FREE MUESLI COOKIES
Makes 18

3 cups Simple gluten free muesli (or other brand)
1 cup Healtheries Ground Rice Flour (or other brand)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
125g unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg

Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine the muesli, rice flour, cinnamon and baking soda in a bowl.
In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the egg and beat well.
Pour dry ingredients into the butter mixture and stir to combine. Mix thoroughly.
Grease or line biscuit trays with baking paper. Place tablespoonfuls of mixture onto the trays and flatten slightly with a fork or palm of your hand.
Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are cooked but centres are still soft. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.
(from the healtheries website: http://www.healtheries.co.nz )

I hope everyone is well and are enjoying some lovely warm days! :)
Peggy from Brisbane, Australia
28 years old

>Gluten Free since December 2005
>Salicylate Sensitive (elimination diet, October 2006)
>HLA-DQ2 gene (tested June 2007)
>Soy Free, Coconut Free 2010
>IgG tested 2011, now also Egg Free, Chicken Free, Garlic Free
>Leaky Gut Syndrome confirmed 2011
>Dairy Light

#60 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:06 AM

WHOOOO! I made the best discovery in the history of the universe tonight!!!!! :P :D

Gluten Free Ice cream cones that taste good!!

The company is called Barkat. It is imported by Summerland Products and services.

I got it from a health food shop. The guy said that he got them at a gluten-free expo he went to in Melbourne. This company also make cereals like chocolate cornflakes and some of those instant rice meals. Anyway the good news is that they can continue to order them in.

Back to the Ice cream cones- They do cost about $15 but you get 24 of them and they aren't the kind of thing that you eat everyday.

I also got some of the organ choc chip Biscotti- they are quite good!

If you're like me and gave up o health food shops I reccomend you start looking in them again, and look in several as they all have different things! It seem to me that a new gluten-free product seems to come out just about every month!

Sorry if I just bored you all to death but I was so excited about the Ice cream cones, I just had to share!!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: