This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

mackmackmackie Newbie
Mackmackiemackie

Have you tried Zaffraan Open Original Shared Link in Sydney. They a fabulous Indian restaurant. If you ring them before hand and just remind them on the night that you need a gluten-free meal they bend over backwards.

To be honest I've found Indian food is one of the best places. Well, decent Indian food places. Though I really want to find some Thai places, its the food i'm missing out on the most.

Thanks Aussie Peg for your information, though I must say you were right when you said it was a lot!

I'm still looking for places in the city for lunches, though i'm slowly finding more solutions. However, since I don't have a reaction to gluten until I've had it over a long period, I don't know if i'm being careful enough at times.

How do I tell if I have been glutened? I don't feel any better off it than on it....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tracey* Rookie
Tracey

You possibly would be interested in the October addition of Delicious Magazine Open Original Shared Link The front page shows of a gluten free dessert and they have ear marked a number of other gluten free dishes in the magazine. They have started doing this regularly.

Thanks for that :) I love it when magazines get into it a bit more!

My blog is at Open Original Shared Link - I'm eating through every supermarket and restaurant one meal at a time :P

Saz Explorer

Has anyone tired the chocolate biscuit from the Coffee club? IT a chcoclate biscuit and it has white choc bits in it. I had one the other day really enjoyed it. You could kinda tell that it wasn't normal but like I said I enjoyed it. If you do have it make sure u lean over the plate, the are quite crumbly.

Also has anyone tired those cherry tarts from Jaimca Blue? I'm thinking of trying on but they are very over priced! $5! They had a nice looking Jaffa cake there today, but it cos $6-7.(same as all their cakes) I got a nice choc chip muffin from Muffin break instead :lol: I like Muffin break coz they don't charge extra for a muffin I can eat.

Saz Explorer

Hey. I was wondering if rice noodles are ok?

tracey* Rookie

Can you get your hands on the ingredients, Saz?

Rice noodles are noodles that are made from rice. Their principal ingredients are rice flour and water, though sometimes other ingredients such as tapioca or corn starch are also added.

As long as you can have corn or tapioca, it should be OK

Kaycee Collaborator
Hey. I was wondering if rice noodles are ok?

Saz, I use Trident Rice stick noodles and they are fine. They are just rice flour and water.

Catherine

Saz Explorer
Saz, I use Trident Rice stick noodles and they are fine. They are just rice flour and water.

Catherine

Did you know that do a Thai noddle soup that if gluten-free? I haven't tired it, but it looks ok.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Saz Explorer

Are the coles brand jelly babies ok?

I'm fine witha product if it says wheat or barley or anything obvious or if there is like a flavouring or thickner that say in brackets derived from wheat. However sometimes it doesn't say what it was from and doesn't say further down on the package that it contains gluten or wheat.

Does anyone have a list they could send me?

Or does it mean it if it doesn't say from wheat in brackets or its not written on the statement further down that it is ok?

Trying very hard to be completely safe at home so that if I go out and do have something with a sauce I dont feel quite as bad.

* on month on Monday since major glutening YAH for me! Going to celebrate by getting a gluten-free carbornara or white rasberry cake. :P

Kaycee Collaborator

Saz, I can't help you there with jelly babies, as we don't have Coles here in NZ.

But from what I gather New Zealand and Australian food laws are about the same, and if a product contains wheat or gluten, soy, peanuts, dairy and eggs (these might not be the total list, but I know gluten is in it), it has to be lablelled as such. But in having said that, I don't think it is something you can totally rely on. I have been caught, well I think I have been caught as I have had reactions to a pickle that was not labelled as having gluten.

My feelings now, like you, if I can see the wheat offending product on the list, it is a definate non-no. If something is labelled as having colouring or flavours without saying which, that is a no-no. I will not touch things that have wheat in the label and Gluten Free in brackets beside it. Numbers are better, because you can find out what they are, but probably not in the supermarket! I have a list of ones that I really need to avoid, but is it in my wallet, never when I need it. I have found some companies label whether they have gluten, soy etc in them, and I tend to trust them, especially if the product I have doesn't say anything about wheat, yet another of their products will point out the gluten. I have not been caught out yet with that, but I am rather wary when it comes to food, and don't eat a lot of processed food.

I don't know whether this all helps, but things seem to be getting better on the labelling front, so much so that things I thought were gluten free, and probably still are, are now labelled as produced on the same line as gluten containing things. Grrr, as I have been caught by theses things, they are no-no to me too. Sometimes I think I am being too stringent, but we have to work out for ourselves how much of a risk we are prepared to take, and we are all different, and different things affect us differently.

Catherine.

Ruth52 Newbie

I have found with most jubie type lollies (jelly babies, raspberries, mint leaves etc.) that they have a find film of wheat starch around them to stop them sticking together in the pack. I know there is a debate about wheat starch but after eating anything that has wheat starch listed on the ingredients I get stomach cramps and life goes downhill for a couple of days.

Also I think that the cheaper the lollies, the more likelihood that they will have used more wheat and less starch. On the other hand nestle dark chocolate does not include wheat starch - life just keeps getting better!

Ruth.

Kaycee Collaborator

Ruth, would you by some chance be a connosoir of chocolate like me? And could you help me here.

I love the stuff.

So far, Cadbury's seems okay for me, I only eat the Flakes (note no soy in these), dairy milk and Dream.

I tried Whittakers white chocolate the other day, and I felt quite awful later, and I know thier peanut slabs don't agree, but I thought that was the peanuts disagreeing with me.

What I want to know Ruth, is whether you have had any problems with Whittakers, or has anybody else, as they are supposedly gluten free.

But thanks for the hint about nestles dark chocolate, I might have to try this.

Having said this, I am now starting to get worried that my list of treats is getting longer and longer and that I might spoil myself a bit too often!

Also, contrary to my thoughts that I could not tolerate soy and lactose, that does not seem to be the case, but peanuts are a nono.

Catherine

Saz Explorer

They Jelly babies didn't say wheat starch. It was from corn syrup, I checked it out last night and from what I could gather they were ok, still not to sure about the colour flavoring tho. I did notice though that on some packets wich I was also looking at, they didnt have anything listed from wheat in brackets but the allergy statement said that It contained gluten. So I'm gussing it was the flavouring powder or something.

Basically sticking to the special made gluten-free stuff or things I know are fine.

Btw Are the mint flakes gluten-free?

georgie Enthusiast

Has anyone tried this yet? It looks yummy !

You possibly would be interested in the October addition of Delicious Magazine Open Original Shared Link The front page shows of a gluten free dessert and they have ear marked a number of other gluten free dishes in the magazine. They have started doing this regularly.
Saz Explorer

Hey guys, I bet all you smart cookies already know this but just in case you don't. Make sure that you check the packaging of FREEDOM FOODS biscuits. Not all of them are gluten free. I picked up a packet of the blueberry bliss ones only to discover when I got them home that I can't eat them.

Shiba Newbie

For anyone who lives in Sydney's northern districts, I have found a baker who makes great gluten-free bread. It still takes ages to toast, but it actually has a very similar texture to 'real' toast. They also do a nice gluten-free sultana bread, but it was a bit heavy on the cinnamon. As I am not coeliac, I still have normal toast when I'm out, but I am more than happy to eat this one. My husband just loves it - the first time I brought it home, he had toast for dinner<G> So far I've bought their gluten-free bread twice, and hubby has not shown any reactions - the bread is so good we keep thinking there must be some wheat flour in it! I had a long chat with the baker's wife last week, and she was clued up re different machine for gluten-free etc etc. After my daughter finishes her exams, she will try it - as she is very sensitive we'll know for sure if it is safe.

THe Bakers is Lims hot bread, in Eastwood.

Saz Explorer

Just me again.

Have any of you guys seen the Glutano break bars? I swear they taste like a kit kat. Im not sure how common the brand is in the health food shops here, there is only one in my area that stock them. The bar did cost $3 but honestly if you are lucky enough to ever come across I reccomend buying it.

It falls under the catagory of "Hmm I think I better check that label because it tastes so darn good! Unfortunately its not dairy or lactose free tho.

:P Just excuse while I go and wipe the drool of my keyboard.

Also guys If any of you are ever in Toowoomba I recomend the The coffee Bean House Located in Gardentown shopping centre. I had the most yummiest piece of caramel chessecake there today and they also do gluten-free Wraps and such.

mackmackmackie Newbie

Howdy,

I found that noodle.com in Randwick makes good gluten free dishes and even has their own gluten free menu. Which is good seeing as i'm moving about 200m away from it very soon.

A quick tale..

After going for what I thought was 3mths without any incidents, my mother accidently swapped my gluten free pudding (the woolies ones, which aren't that bad, but not awful either) with her normal pudding. So low and behold......my first real experience since I stopped eating gluten. Which is strange, coz when I was eating gluten i'd never have a reaction directly from eating anything....

Anyhows, a question..I think even though I hadn't had any gluten, some trace amounts were still getting through.

Does the Nestle Ice-cream, with "Maltodextrin" (even though it doesn't say where it's from, meaning it shouldn't be from wheat) contain gluten? Looking at the ingredients I'd say no...

OR the only other thing I can think about would be Wasabi. The S&B prepared one once again doesn't seem to have gluten, but well....now I gotta be more careful....

Saz Explorer

Hey guys.

Just thought I'd let u all know that woolies choc milk has malt in it. I discovered this after I decided to read the ingredients AFTER consuming most of it. So ticked off as I was trying hard to be extra good after the maccas sundae I had the other day. Why did the one thing I didn't check the ingredients of have ot have malt in it?!

Saz Explorer

Do any of you know if the chai teas and iced coffe /chocolates from the coffee club are ok?

Also are what about drinks from other places?

georgie Enthusiast
Does the Nestle Ice-cream, with "Maltodextrin" (even though it doesn't say where it's from, meaning it shouldn't be from wheat) contain gluten? Looking at the ingredients I'd say no...

I had Street Blue Ribbon icecream last week and even though the label just said 'glucose syrup' I am sure I was glutened. Has anyone else tried that one?

mackmackmackie Newbie
Do any of you know if the chai teas and iced coffe /chocolates from the coffee club are ok?

Also are what about drinks from other places?

I'm not sure about the iced coffee, though one staff member told me the hot chocolate powder had gluten in it..not 100% sure if this is true for all of the places.

Starbux - are gluten free friendly. Hot chololates, coffees, etc are gluten free. Except for anything that obviously would have it. such as the cold drinks with fillers.

Gloria Jeans...supposedly coffees and hot chocolate are fine.. however my fave creamy hot cocoa has gluten, so does the cappucino

And again with ice-cream!

And with the ice-cream. The glucose syrup should be fine, even if it says "glucose syrup (from wheat)".

Any chance it's just the lactose hitting you up?

georgie Enthusiast
And with the ice-cream. The glucose syrup should be fine, even if it says "glucose syrup (from wheat)".

Any chance it's just the lactose hitting you up?

I guess I could try that but I am hoping its not :lol: I wasn't badly affected by the next evening so wonder if a trace of gluten from glucose syrup could be in the icecream without wheat being labelled. How strict are our food labels? Is all glucose syrup from wheat?

I am eating cheese and small traces of dairy and appear to have no problems with that. I guess I could get in touch with the company and ask what's in it.

Saz Explorer

Hi.

I just had a look see at the streets website and gotta say it was most unhelpful.

Georgie- Have you triple checked the ingredients? I know I have read ingredients list thru three times and not noticed that it says wheat or something.

georgie Enthusiast

I have just had an email back from the Streets company with a pdf of every icecream ! Call me the icecream expert now :lol: Blue Ribbon is gluten-free. Not sure what that means re me. Does that mean I have a dairy problem as well ? Or could I have been still reacting to the glutening I had a week earlier.

Gloria Jeans...supposedly coffees and hot chocolate are fine.. however my fave creamy hot cocoa has gluten, so does the cappucino

Does it ? Yikes!

HawkFire Explorer

Hello! I just want to say that australia is so beautiful. Oh, I loved it there. I should look into relocating to australia right on the beach. Ok. I saw this post and had to gush. My daughter recently did a project on australia and it brought back so many wonderful images.

Archived