Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply

957 replies to this topic

#616 Saz

Saz

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:09 PM

If it says gluten free on the label then you are right it overrides whatever is listed in the ingredients as they will be so highly processed like the glucose syrup they no longer contain gluten. According to my ingredients book the highly processed ones are:
1. glucose syrup from wheat
2. Caramel colour (150) from wheat
3. Dextrose from wheat.

I believe they put the warning on because some very sensitive people with Coeliac do react to it. I'm not sure about people who just have to avoid wheat.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#617 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

I was very excited to see Bob's Red Mill oats the other day! In Thomas Dux, Crows Nest. I have really missed oats. However, as soon as I realised that my oat-dreams could come true for the bargain price (not!) of $13 a bag, I decided I really didn't miss them that much after all, ha.

So for those aussie's missing them - try Thomas Dux. For those who want to be cured of missing them - compare the price of gluten free oats to regular oats ;-)

#618 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:53 AM

Sorry, Wallabies! Our turn this time. GO THE ALL BLACKS!!!!!!
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#619 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:33 AM

Found lots of new stuff at Coles today. The first thing is the food for kids apple bars. They are fairly small but a good snack size. The filling was really nice. The "cakey" bit is ok, it has a slight bi carb taste to it but not as much as the Leda or nurture ones in my opinion.

The second thing I tried is the vege chip twists. They are cheese flavoured and shaped like twistes. I liked them but for something closer to a twisty I'd go for kinks.

A few new Orgran products. The one I tried is called choc pockets. They are like a crisbread with chocolate inside. Haven't quite made up my mind on these yet. They taste good but the texture is unusual, I was expecting something a bit smoother.

Another thing I've found at coles this week is a range called Wellabys. So far I have seen savoury biscuits and cheese puffs. They seem to do the same things as the Mrs Crimbles range (big in the uk and suposedly available here now). Very similar packaging and tasting products.
*edit- have just checked it out and although some of the products are simillar they are not the same.

#620 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:45 AM

I heard back from coles. Apparently it is only the glucose syrup that contains the wheat. They say they have labled it in accordance with food standards. I know they are toughening up on the labeling rules, but I can't help thinking it's going to make it more complicated. I know it will be great for those who are really sensitive but surely there is some way to label foods so that no one is avoiding foods they don't have to.

#621 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

I heard back from coles. Apparently it is only the glucose syrup that contains the wheat. They say they have labled it in accordance with food standards. I know they are toughening up on the labeling rules, but I can't help thinking it's going to make it more complicated. I know it will be great for those who are really sensitive but surely there is some way to label foods so that no one is avoiding foods they don't have to.

Yes - very complicated.
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#622 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

Night Noodle Market - Sydney http://www.cravesydn...-markets/gjoc54

I googled to see if there would be any gluten free options and I found a blog that mentioned one stall last year had gluten free options - Spanthai. I emailed them and unfortunately didn't hear back before I went last night, but if anyone is going, here is the edited for names) reply:

Yes you found us, and yes we have several gluten free options this year on our menu.

Pad Thai & Pad See Iew are gluten free. The Pad see iew does have soy however.
The Saffron Chicken & Pennang Curry is also Gluten Free.
We hope to see you on site and enjoy the atmosphere @ Hyde Park like so many other thousands of locals & visitors
that have turned up this year.
Perfect weather for this event !

spanthai@yahoo.com.au

I ate beforehand and just wandered around with my friend while they chose food - it was good fun anyway since I could breathe in all the delicious smells but didn't have to make a decision - there was so much food to chose from (well, for the glutenoids)

#623 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for reporting back. That is kind of annoying, it'll make me second guess.

#624 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:05 AM

I'm Very very excited.

Today I bought gluten-free bread rolls and pitta bread from COLES

The brand is called Livwell, which is an amazing brand from the uk.

The bread roll didn't crumble, was soft, and had a "crust" on it like a proper bread roll. I could also slice it easily. Don't know about the rest of you but I often find gluten-free bread rolls hard to slice evenly.

For dinner tonight, I had curry and the pita bread. Like the rolls it tastes great. You could stuff it with salad or use it as a delicious pizza base.

Both of them cost $8.00 for a pack of four. I think this is great considering how far they've travelled and how incredible they taste. I'm only a small eater so for me half a piece off pitta is more than ennough.

The Australian distrubutor is bakemark and according to their website they also have some other Livwell products. These include chocolate cake bars and Cherry bakewells. Hopefuly Coles might consider getting some of these in if current products do well enough.

In the Uk the rangeeven includes english muffins and crumpets. Unfortunately no sign of these on the bakewell website, but maybe one day!

#625 Olivegirl

Olivegirl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

Hello all

I just want to give a other thumbs up to Atom Thai in Newtown. Not only do they have a seperate gluten free menu - but it's almost as long as the 'normal' menu. Coeliac heaven :-)

On another note, also excited that Coles has started to re-stock gluten free pastry!

#626 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

Yeah - I love Atom. I feel like a normal customer there!!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#627 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

Rats! I just got back from Sydney and didn't access the Internet while I was visiting....so I didn't know about the Thai food! However, I DID stop in at Churrasco,. a Brazilian restaurant in downtown Sydney, and was astounded that their menu was largely gluten free. The cheese bread and pasta that are served are also gluten free. I lived in Brazil for a year as an exchange student, and this restaurant is truly a genuine Brazilian-style restaurant--and the food is great! I felt safe, and I didn't feel any signs of cc afterward. You Aussies are so lucky--I was able to eat gluten free very easily in both Sydney and Cairns.

#628 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:55 AM

Tried the Woolworths Crumpet mix again and it was another disaster. Managed not to burn them this time but still got nothing like a crumpet. As before I ended up with something like a pikelet on one side and a crusty naan bread on the other. Also they don't cook in the centre no matter how thin I put the batter in. Shame, I've never had a problem with their other products.
Has anyone tried again and had a success? If everyone is having the same trouble, I'd say they are selling a 'faulty' product. If it was a dvd or item of clothing it wouldn't be allowed.

#629 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

I haven't tried them yet Saz, but I might have a go tonight. Are they edible, even if they don't look right?

#630 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:28 AM

The first lot I did I eat some of them but becuase of the way the cook, they are a bit odd. I think the problem might be more with the texture. Of the few I did try I could sort of taste that they were meant to be crumpets.

It's a bit hard to describe since the finished product I ended up with is not like anything I've had before.

Let us know how you go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: