Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply

961 replies to this topic

#661 Di2011

Di2011

Advanced Community Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:54 AM

oh how I wish I lived in sydney right now.. Canberra seems like a backwater when it comes to gluten free options!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for Aussie online stores?
I know there are lots but products are all so different and price is wonky.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#662 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:05 AM

woolworths have brought out their own version of chezels and twisties. The "twistes" come in a chicken flavour and a cheese one. I tried the chicken ones and they're great! They have less of a cornt taste than the ajitas version. Looking foward to trying the chezels next!

#663 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

Most of what we're getting is all from woolies and coles, diandliam, so you should be able to get the same stuff too. The range changes all the time so it's worth investigating.

I was at David Jones foodhall (in the Market Street store in Sydney) last night (sorry - diandliam, you probably don't have one of those) and there are lots of little gift boxes of cookies that were labelled gluten free. They are all mixed in but the labelling was pretty clear (on the front, above the flavour/type). I nearly ended up buying gluten free cookies for someone who isn't gluten free, just because they sounded good.

ETA, hi Wayne, welcome. Sounds like you've found lots of the good stuff (the san remo pasta range is great, so much like regular pasta)

Do you like the country life bread? I couldn't stand it, it turned me off bread entirely until I got to try other brands.

#664 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:33 AM

oh how I wish I lived in sydney right now.. Canberra seems like a backwater when it comes to gluten free options!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for Aussie online stores?
I know there are lots but products are all so different and price is wonky.

I haven't purchased anything from these sites but they are Aussie
www.absolutelyglutenfree.com.au
www.glutenfreeshop.com.au
www.glutenfreeforme.com.au

#665 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

Canberra seems like a backwater when it comes to gluten free options!!

http://www.glutenfre...-territory.html

http://www.glutenfre...rectory.com.au/

http://www.naturally...id=23&Itemid=27

Check asian supermarkets, indian supermarkets, IGA [as well as Woolworths and Coles], Health Food stores: gluten-free pops up in the most unusual places... Have you checked with the Coeliac Society?

#666 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

but di-you have deeks cafe-u lucky thing
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#667 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:19 AM

My DH has been so bad that I am a bit "spooked" by anything with gum. I have trouble with virtually anything with numbers (esp 1400, 400's or salt on the label).
Deeks uses guar gum exclusively. I have a big big problem with xanthan gum and try, try, trying to get game enough to retest the guar gum. I have spent the last month telling myself to test. Deeks is about 10 min away and I have been past many times, gone inside a couple of times now. Just about ready to test.
When you have skin problems like mine that are so intense and all over, so seriously socially impacting, you soon learn to test one product / ingredient at a time. It often made me sad, mad, depressed etc but now it is just my reality and I am happy to live with it.
I also think I needed to get over my psychological reaction to anything vaguely "baked" which I think I now have. So Deeks is on my test list :)
I guess all this is why I get on here and read about all the great things you all find to eat but more often than not they have "gluten free" but I can't tolerate... Gets frustrating when meat/veg/fruit/rice is your limit. Sick of being sorry for myself!!!!

#668 WayneH

WayneH

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

Most of what we're getting is all from woolies and coles, diandliam, so you should be able to get the same stuff too. The range changes all the time so it's worth investigating.

I was at David Jones foodhall (in the Market Street store in Sydney) last night (sorry - diandliam, you probably don't have one of those) and there are lots of little gift boxes of cookies that were labelled gluten free. They are all mixed in but the labelling was pretty clear (on the front, above the flavour/type). I nearly ended up buying gluten free cookies for someone who isn't gluten free, just because they sounded good.

ETA, hi Wayne, welcome. Sounds like you've found lots of the good stuff (the san remo pasta range is great, so much like regular pasta)

Do you like the country life bread? I couldn't stand it, it turned me off bread entirely until I got to try other brands.

Hi anabananakins,

The country life bread is okay, main thing is my daughter will eat it and makes her feel normal with the other kids eating sandwiches for lunch at Kindy.

I am thinking about buying a bread maker and trying to make my own, have you tried making your own gluten-free bread?

#669 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

Hi anabananakins,

I am thinking about buying a bread maker and trying to make my own, have you tried making your own gluten-free bread?

Look on the baking section and maybe use the google at the top right corner. We have had lots of bread recipes and discussions about bread makers.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#670 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:34 PM

Look on the baking section and maybe use the google at the top right corner. We have had lots of bread recipes and discussions about bread makers.

Ah, but are they available in Australia? At 240v??? :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#671 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

In Australia:

Quantum SmartBake BM7800
Endorsed by the Coeliac Society of Australia - suitable for gluten free recipes

Bakehouse 1kg BM3500S
Tested by the Coeliac Society of Australia - suitable for gluten free recipes

Bakehouse Compact Breadmaker BM2500
Tested by the Coeliac Society of Australia - suitable for Gluten Free recipes

I use Breville - an old model ...

Current models -
Breville Baker's Oven BBM100 & Breville Baker's Oven BBM300
Gluten-free cycle/information

Breville ikon Baker's Oven BBM600
Gluten-free cycle/information

#672 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

I have the new breville Bakers oven with the gluten free cycle - its brilliant - I love it and make bread all the time!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#673 dandt

dandt

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:25 AM

My brother used to be on the gluten-free/cf diet years ago before compliance became too difficult and we went on a holiday to canberra and deeks was so yummy!!

I'm currently waiting on my gluten-free gingerbread men. Struggled a bit to get them to stick together but my mother came to my aid with a tub of nuttelex (we seriously have like 6 tubs in the fridge because we kept forgetting we had it!!!) I have now decided that I have to start using xanthan gum or something when I cook! The recipe was pretty dodgey though but I had decided to use some recipe which wasn't designed to be gluten-free because I didn't think I'd be able to find all the ingredients in the proper mix. I'd only seen the mixes at coles and my woollies have NO flour at all. They have a bread mix but that's it.

Speaking of which, has anyone else seen all the different flours they have in coles now? I got so excited because I'm in a regional area with no health food store so I've pretty much been limited to the mix until now! I just got the cookies out and they're really crumbly but taste nice so I'm thinking I'm going to go get the brown rice flour and xanthan gum tonight and try making them properly tomorrow. Might even make the dough tonight so I can refrigerate it.

I can't help with bread. I HATE the brand that starts with Z, or at least I think it was gross.

Oh and if anyone didn't know this, the home brand jelly beans at woollies are gluten free. They were out of stock EVERYWHERE for a few months but I spied them on the shelf on the weekend. Even better, they're still gluten free.

#674 +jasonparker

+jasonparker

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

Has anyone found a way to keep our gluten-free bread fresh? Using Aldi's Wild Grain ATM which is great, but like most gluten-free breads, needs to be toasted after the first day.

#675 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:51 PM

Has anyone found a way to keep our gluten-free bread fresh? Using Aldi's Wild Grain ATM which is great, but like most gluten-free breads, needs to be toasted after the first day.

I don't necessarily do this with store-bought bread, but with home-baked I put it in a paper bag and then in a plastic bag and leave it on the bench :huh: The paper absorbs any excess moisture which leads to mould production, and the plastic keeps it from drying out. Now if your store-bought has preservative you probably don't have to worry about the mould. But I have found the refrigerator really dries it out and makes it crumbly. Better to wrap it in serving sizes and freeze and thaw than keep it in the fridge, from my perspective.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009