Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply

961 replies to this topic

#676 +jasonparker

+jasonparker

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:44 AM

I don't necessarily do this with store-bought bread, but with home-baked I put it in a paper bag and then in a plastic bag and leave it on the bench :huh: The paper absorbs any excess moisture which leads to mould production, and the plastic keeps it from drying out. Now if your store-bought has preservative you probably don't have to worry about the mould. But I have found the refrigerator really dries it out and makes it crumbly. Better to wrap it in serving sizes and freeze and thaw than keep it in the fridge, from my perspective.

Thanks, i might try your paper bag suggestion. I have heard also that a celery stick in with the bread keeps it fresher, longer.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#677 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:12 AM

Thanks, i might try your paper bag suggestion. I have heard also that a celery stick in with the bread keeps it fresher, longer.

If you were going to put the bread in the refrigrator that could be a good idea. I always put my brown sugar in another ziplock plastic bag, into which I place a moistened paper towel - helps keep it from going lumpy and hard. I remoisten or replace it every time I use it. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#678 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:48 PM

For bread, I've found that if I keep the loaf in the freezer and take out a couple of slices, all it takes it to place them in a plastic sandwich bag and place them in a warm location. The BEST place is the front passenger seat--no kidding! The bread is perfect by lunch time and is soft and warm. I found this out by accident when I left my bread in the car and went looking for it at lunch time--a pleasant surprise! Of course, this doesn't work so well in cold weather...

#679 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:11 PM

I might have asked this time before, but can't remember which thread and don't want to search all of them.

Has anyone tried the products from Choices gluten free? particulary interested in the english muffins and bagels. Finding breakfast hard at the moment. I've gone off the bread as toast and am not much of cereal person gluten-free or not. I often end up with brownies or chocolate biscuits for breakfast lately, just because I'm so so sick of everything.

#680 Kjas

Kjas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:16 AM

I've had the choices gluten free before. Honestly, they're pretty good. They have the nicest raisin toast I've had since since going gluten free. They do a nice range of breads, bagels, garlic bread and ever pre packet make at home raspberry loaf. They also deliver if you're in one of the main cities on the east coast.

#681 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

I think they have a shop at Bondi Junction, if so then I've had their products. I enjoyed the bagels and they have little mini crumbles that were great. I can't remember if I've tried anything else.

#682 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:48 AM

Does anyone ever eat at Nandos?
According to their nutrition info the chips and some of the chicken products are ok. It would be handy to sometimes to be able to get some chicken and chips. I eat at other take away places but always been a bit cautious of Nandos, for no good reason.

#683 amber

amber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

Does anyone ever eat at Nandos?
According to their nutrition info the chips and some of the chicken products are ok. It would be handy to sometimes to be able to get some chicken and chips. I eat at other take away places but always been a bit cautious of Nandos, for no good reason.

Hi,

If you grab a menu from Nando's it lists which products contain gluten and which don't. Most of the chicken is gluten free and I think they have changed the chicken salt recently and now it is gluten free. My daughter has been eating Nando's for years with no problem. The spicy rice is okay too and a few other items.

#684 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

Yea. I just always found it odd that they list things that have gluten rather than those that don't. I guess it's a good way of doing it. The menu suggests that the other items are ok without them claiming they are gluten-free, which means they don't have to worry about making someone sick with cc. I would imagine they could manage it fairly well because I think most of what does have gluten on the menu would be the sauce or the bread. This is just a guess, I'm not very sensitive so if a few tiny crumbs of gluten got in to my dish I wouldn't know.

#685 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

What clothes wash (liquid) do any of you Australians use? I am getting pretty edgy about whether some of the chemicals are wheat derivates but not having much luck with my research... My skin is still quite a mess after many months gluten free (and a bunch of other things).

#686 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

Have you thought of soap nuts diandliam? I am just about to put an order in myself. No chemicals, completely enviro friendly and cheap too! works out about 12 c a wash. Have a google.
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#687 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Thanks beebs - your a gem!!! And a fast one too!

I will google now.

#688 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

OH MY am I excited. I can use it for shampoo and soap etc too!! This could be the thing I've been looking for, for months! Thank you beebs.
This is worth a read : http://playingfair.com.au/blog/?p=778

#689 electrochel

electrochel

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:55 AM

Hi Guys,

U all sound pretty clued up to , so maybe you can help.

I am travelling from Ireland to perth via singapore and am wondering about foods and nice places to eat in perth that will know what celiac means, my friend lives out there since december and has been sick a few times from waitresses telling her their stuff is gluten free when it is not... Im wondering about products in the supermarket...how expensive are they? and what are brand si should be looking out for??

I am Irish and only diagnosed last year so im nervous ab the traveling part....

Thanks a lot

michelle

#690 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

Hi Guys,

U all sound pretty clued up to , so maybe you can help.

I am travelling from Ireland to perth via singapore and am wondering about foods and nice places to eat in perth that will know what celiac means, my friend lives out there since december and has been sick a few times from waitresses telling her their stuff is gluten free when it is not... Im wondering about products in the supermarket...how expensive are they? and what are brand si should be looking out for??

I am Irish and only diagnosed last year so im nervous ab the traveling part....

Thanks a lot

michelle

Glad you found this thread! I'm sorry your friend has been sick. I guess those places aren't recommended.

The gluten-free stuff is pricier, usually. The best brand of pasta in my opinion is the San Remo stuff. In Coles it's in the 'health foods' aisle with all the gluten free stuff, I think Woolworths stock it in with the regular pasta.

White wings flour (gluten free aisle) works pretty much like regular flour. about $5 for 750g I think.

sauces - the asian stir fry sauces are well labeled, "Ayam" are a great brand and will clearly say if gluten free. Likewise soy sauce is labeled and in the regular section.

There's usually a section of frozen stuff - we've talked about the bellyhoo pies which are awesome, but pricey ($10 for 2).

Bread is about $6 a loaf

Sausages will all be labelled gluten free - and most are.

Bacon is also usually labelled gluten free

Let me know if there's any product in particular you're curious about and I can look for you. I don't really eat many pre-packaged foods, so I forget what's available.

One thing you'll find is that in general groceries are a lot more expensive in Australia than in the UK (but eating out is more affordable)

I hope you have a fabulous time travelling around!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: