Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply

958 replies to this topic

#706 11475

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

Their Apple and Cinnamon Crunchola is yum.

Are you ok with oats in other products?? The Crunchola is only allowed to be labelled 'wheat free', not 'gluten free' in Aus due to the oats it contains. Just curious about your experience, as I've not tried oats in anything since going gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#707 Di2011

Di2011

Advanced Community Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:28 AM

http://www.freedomfo...-Free-Diet.aspx

I've avoided oats completely for many many months due to being cc'ed early on. But I thought I'd 'test' Freedom Foods after first responding well to their non-oat products (a real surprise) and then reading this on the box:

"The oats in our Crunchola are grown in Australia especially for Freedom Foods and transported in a wheat and nut free environment. We test every batch to make sure there is absolutely no trace of wheat or nuts"

So far so good. I've been eating it for about four weeks (three or four boxes and different batches) without any trouble.

#708 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:32 AM

http://www.freedomfo...Allergies-.aspx

#709 11475

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

That's really great to hear! Thank you for sharing, and for the link :)

#710 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

I feel like I owe them big time. I buy their products almost exclusively (for my son & I). I can't eat much salicylate (sals for short) which includes corn so I can't eat much processed food but my sons palate has recently adopted the gluten-free thing (is it the texture or flavour or both that wheat free does to food??). I'm going to start ordering their Orgran cup-a-soups and so on for him and to ease my cooking school lunchbox burden.

#711 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

Us Aus/Kiwis must hold the record for this forums longest running and/or biggest nr of posts record!!

#712 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Us Aus/Kiwis must hold the record for this forums longest running and/or biggest nr of posts record!!

Weellll, not quite - actuallly misses it by a mile. Check out The Funny Pages - Tickle me elbow: No. of posts = 48,503 !!! :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#713 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:37 AM

Weellll, not quite - actuallly misses it by a mile. Check out The Funny Pages - Tickle me elbow: No. of posts = 48,503 !!! :D

Wow!!! I don't get much time to get to all the new posts these days unfortunately. I must revisit the Tickle me elbow - had forgotten about that one!
After about 10 months I am back to full time work. Quite a milestone after the being so lousy for so long. At least I went to work in a bakery and the DH kicked in so that my GI/neuro didn't get any worse with more gluten intake. Consider myself quite lucky compared to many others.

#714 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:12 AM

Congrats on being back full-time! That's a milestone. Does cut into your time, though :P
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#715 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

As far as I have read the only reason we can't have oats is because generally they are co-grown and co stored with wheat. But if you find oats (like freedom) that are grown and stored separately then they should be fine, having said that - the coeliac society says no to all oats.
Also - you the gluten free oats that you get are like 8 or 9 dollars for 500g - WTF!! I'd rather go without - I've got the kids on rice porridge and sweet polenta for a hot breakfast. WAY cheaper!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#716 Kjas

Kjas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to check it out! :)

I'm planning to test oats again soon, last time bobs red mill ones didn't go down too well.

#717 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to check it out! :)

I'm planning to test oats again soon, last time bobs red mill ones didn't go down too well.

There is lots of talk about them on here, alot of people can't handle the products, they use the same production line for gluten products and then wash them down when doing gluten free. That is totally not done here in Australia - if its Gluten free its gluten free - end of story. If its on the same production line it has to say on the package "produced on the same production line as gluten" etc

#718 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

There is lots of talk about them on here, alot of people can't handle the products, they use the same production line for gluten products and then wash them down when doing gluten free. That is totally not done here in Australia - if its Gluten free its gluten free - end of story. If its on the same production line it has to say on the package "produced on the same production line as gluten" etc

Only problem is, it's not just the gluten free status of oats that is of concern. There is a similiarity between the proteins of oats and wheat, and some celiacs cannot handle either. I accidentally came across this study this morning while looking for something else:

http://www.plosmedic...al.pmed.0010001
Research Article
The Molecular Basis for Oat Intolerance in Patients with Celiac Disease
.We conclude that some celiac disease patients have avenin-reactive mucosal T-cells that can cause mucosal inflammation. Oat intolerance may be a reason for villous atrophy and inflammation in patients with celiac disease who are eating oats but otherwise are adhering to a strict gluten-free diet. Clinical follow-up of celiac disease patients eating oats is advisable.
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#719 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

DAMN! I was just going to go and buy some gluten free oats- now I am too scared!

#720 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

The problem is that there are many different cultivars of oats.

A study published in February 2011 demonstrated that there are diferences in the toxicity of the different varieties of oat. The oats may be "pure", but this means that cross-contamination is not the single reason for reactions in people.

Research into the prolamin (avenin) in oats indicates that it is the similarity of it's amino acid chains and structure that cause a reaction. But, there are different amounts of avenin present in different cultivars of oats.

Examination of the results show the effects of oats vary widely from being dangerous to almost harmless. There was no way to predict which coeliacs could/would be sensitive to avenins.

As one Scientific study concluded: -

Coeliac patients can, to some advantage, include oats in a GFD although there may be the occasional patient who is also oats sensitive. Previous conflicting results may have been partly due to contamination of oats by wheat. Lest contamination is present and exceeds the safe threshold, we recommend that coeliac patients should only add oats to their GFD when they are established on a conventional GFD, and stop eating oats if they develop any symptoms.

In other words, you may or may not react: there's no way to tell: stop if you do react ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: