Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply

956 replies to this topic

#736 beebs

beebs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

For those of you who got negative results on the blood tests, did you also fail an edoscopy? Many years ago they used to say that the endoscopy was the truiest way to diagnose Coeliac. The technology incovled in testing has greatly improved but I heard of people who test negative to the blood test but positive to the endoscopy. It will only diagnose Coeliac, not other types of gluten itolerance.

Hope it doesn't like I'm having a go at anyone, just making a suggestion. Doctors can sometimes be a bit useless and don't always suggest all the options.

I was booked in for an endo, and then a few days before I found out I was pregnant. I was secretly thrilled as I was so scared to have one. I went gluten free - with the purpose of doing the challenge later ( higher rate of miscarriage etc is undiag coealics etc) phew. But now its all catching up with me - I have has some really bad symptoms lately and now the think that all those years of undiagnosed coeliac have caused some long term damage in my ospophegus and guts, doh, so now I have to have a bloody endo anyway. Boohoo - and I still won't get diagnosed. Its not even that I care so much about a diagnosis - but sometimes Its like my own brain is against me. I think maybe it isn't coeliac, I am a very reluctant gluten free person - maybe I am going through all this hassle for no reason. What if it isn't that and I won't ever have a crossaint again because of it etc etc!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#737 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:57 AM

Kind of know what you mean. I used to have thoughts along the lines of what if they got my results mixed up. I know that eating a lot of gluteny food makes me ill but still have thought of what if it something else common in gluten foods (dunno what) or if I had one those conditions that meant I could safely have a bit.

#738 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

Kind of know what you mean. I used to have thoughts along the lines of what if they got my results mixed up. I know that eating a lot of gluteny food makes me ill but still have thought of what if it something else common in gluten foods (dunno what) or if I had one those conditions that meant I could safely have a bit.

Be careful of what you wish for :ph34r: I have a severe lectin intolerance. Lectins are found in gluten foods along with gliadins - they are also found in dairy, nightshades, legumes, corn, soy, citrus, I am fortunate to not be intolerant to the dairy lectins, but I am to all the others. So for example no beans, peas, potatoes, tomatoes, lemons, Mexican food, Thai or other spicy food (chili is a nightshade) - no ethnic cuisine at all, really. I don't miss the soy though, just have a hard time avoiding it because as y'all know it hides in the shadows and jumps out at you. :rolleyes:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#739 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

Oh my god, I just had the best ever gluten-free bread experience. I went to a cafe in town that has a separate Coeliac menu. wahoo. Anyhow - I ordered a cajun chicken burger - it came with toatsed bread and at first I was a little disappointed - that didn't last long. This bread was AMAZING. So like the real thing that I was seriously worried I would get really ill really quickly. But no, its gluten free - I asked where it was from and for anyone lucky enough to live near Bathurst its made by Beck
s bakery on George st in Bathurst. I am in heaven.

#740 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

Think I have posted about this before but a lot of Woolworths marinated meats are gluten-free, even the ones that they don't label. They have a new range that includes cottage pie, lamb cassorole and beef stew, some of them are ok for us. Of course you can make your own but sometimes you just don't have time or it's helpful to know what is ok have when explaining to people what they can make for dinner. Especially since buying the one marked as gluten-free will often be much more expensive, even if it's just got fairly reugular ingredients in it.

#741 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:18 AM

I have to have another glucose tolerance test and I realised that it's my first GTT since I went gluten free and I'm not sure about the drink. The ingredients are:

- Dextrose Monohydrate (wheat derivative)
- Carbonated Water
- Glucose
- Food acid (330)
- Flavour, preservative (202, 211)

The brand is GLUCAID.

I cannot find anything useful online about it (though what I have seen seems to indicate the dextrose is gluten free) but the fact they are asking makes me wonder.

Does anyone know? I am *so* not looking forward to this, the last two times I was wiped out for the rest of the day. At least I always seem to have them in winter and I can go home and crawl happily into bed.

#742 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:21 AM

Oh my god, I just had the best ever gluten-free bread experience. I went to a cafe in town that has a separate Coeliac menu. wahoo. Anyhow - I ordered a cajun chicken burger - it came with toatsed bread and at first I was a little disappointed - that didn't last long. This bread was AMAZING. So like the real thing that I was seriously worried I would get really ill really quickly. But no, its gluten free - I asked where it was from and for anyone lucky enough to live near Bathurst its made by Beck
s bakery on George st in Bathurst. I am in heaven.

I never get to Bathurst anymore unfortunately... is that also where the cafe was or was that in Sydney? It sounds great!

#743 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

I never get to Bathurst anymore unfortunately... is that also where the cafe was or was that in Sydney? It sounds great!

The cafe is in Bathurst - its called Ellie's and has the biggest coeliac menu you have EVER seen. I seriously almost fainted from excitement. A whole menu where we can eat whatever we want!!

#744 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

I have to have another glucose tolerance test and I realised that it's my first GTT since I went gluten free and I'm not sure about the drink. The ingredients are:

- Dextrose Monohydrate (wheat derivative)
- Carbonated Water
- Glucose
- Food acid (330)
- Flavour, preservative (202, 211)

The brand is GLUCAID.

I cannot find anything useful online about it (though what I have seen seems to indicate the dextrose is gluten free) but the fact they are asking makes me wonder.

Does anyone know? I am *so* not looking forward to this, the last two times I was wiped out for the rest of the day. At least I always seem to have them in winter and I can go home and crawl happily into bed.

I can't say either way = but I had to do those tests when pregnant, and they made me feel really nauseated - they said that was normal, but I was heaving and stuff, Ring the company to make sure I reckon!

#745 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

Beebs, I'm thinking I might need a weekend in Bathurst, lol. I used to go there all the time - I had family there - but haven't been in years.

The GTT is an awful test, I got very weak and lightheaded, the receptionist kept yelling at me to keep me awake. I'm sorry you were nauseated, that sounds even worse :(

#746 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:42 AM

All of those who can need to rush of to your local Coles and buy the gluten-free English Muffins they have started selling. They are the latest addition to the the Livwell range, which include pita and bread roles. They Muffins are $7 for a pack of 4 but I don't know of anywhere else in the country that sells them. (unless you are lucky enough to be Sydney)

I know I post alot about new products, figure this the place to do it. Have seen lots of good products dissapear over the years, presumbly because they aren't selling well.

As I've stated many times, I hate having to pay so much for everything but at the end of the day I'd rather do that than go with out.

#747 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:22 AM

OHHHHH!

Have just looked at the Coles website and it seems that they are also doing Crumpets! Ridonkulusy excited about this. The downside is that I can't seem to find the Bellyhoo pies listed anywhere. Just when it's gotten cold enough to enjoy them!

#748 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

OHHHHH!

Have just looked at the Coles website and it seems that they are also doing Crumpets! Ridonkulusy excited about this. The downside is that I can't seem to find the Bellyhoo pies listed anywhere. Just when it's gotten cold enough to enjoy them!

Yaya! yay! Yay! I lurve crumpets! They aren't doing bellyhoo anymore at my coles either, majorly upset, I didn't even feel bad paying that price as they are so good!

#749 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:56 AM

One of my rare Sundays I can get to a Coles tomorrow. Will hope to get there tomorrow and let you know:)

#750 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

Ohhhhh, english muffins!!!!! I had them in the UK, they were good! And crumpets!!! I had them cold in the UK which wasn't bad but I couldn't toast them because it was a shared toaster. That's so sad about the bellyhoo pies though :( I haven't had one in a while (it's really hard to eat low carb when there's all this goodness coming out!) but they were there at coles last time I looked (a week ago maybe?) It would be a shame if they stopped selling them. They were so good they should take the gluten free label off (or rather, make it smaller) and sell them in the regular pie section, give sara lee a run for their money. Would get them more sales because most people would see gluten free and think ugh.

BTW, Douglass Hanley Moir gave me glucodin powder mixed in water as the glucose drink. It tasted like icing sugar and water, lol, the first sip was great but the rest of the cup was pretty gruesome. It's 100% glucose though so didn't have the gluten issue as the pre-made drink they usually give.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: