Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply

958 replies to this topic

#766 anabananakins

anabananakins

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

Hi Josie! We don't get that bread, I don't think. But handy to know.

Yeah, I overdosed on jacket potatoes when I first went gluten free :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#767 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

Welcome, Josie. I like Venerdi's bread too, but it does have to be toasted. I really like their toasting Baps with cream cheese. We have the Totally Gluten Free Bakery in ChCh which bakes great bread for sandwiches - soft and yummy. They also bake lots of other gluten free goodies but don't know if they make it out of ChCh. It's kind of a family place and got munted in the earthquake but relocated.

I was like bananakins in that I O'Ded on jacket potatoes, so much so that I am intolerant of them now. :( I do orange kumaras instead now, and not too many :ph34r:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#768 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

Shroomie, I always wanted to visit Chch and never got around to it and the earthquake was kind of a major dampener (which made me feel bad as I'm sure tourists are needed) but I may well fly over for a gluten free bakery! We had one here in Leichhardt but it closed down.

#769 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

It's kinda hard turning earthquake rubble into a tourist attraction. :rolleyes: Come and see our munted cathedral which is half 'deconstructed' already. Come and stay in our deconstructed hotels. :P Experience the earth move!!! :ph34r: At least you can still visit the Botanic Gardens and go to the Antarctic Center - pet a penguin.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#770 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

It's kinda hard turning earthquake rubble into a tourist attraction. :rolleyes: Come and see our munted cathedral which is half 'deconstructed' already. Come and stay in our deconstructed hotels. :P Experience the earth move!!! :ph34r: At least you can still visit the Botanic Gardens and go to the Antarctic Center - pet a penguin.

So true! On one hand, the loss of tourist dollars must really hit hard, but on the other hand, you probably don't want them cluttering up the place either! And yeah, the issue of what to see (that's not being totally nosy about peoples destroyed lives) And I don't have any desire to know what an earthquake feels like... the penguins though, you could sell me on that :)

#771 josie656

josie656

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:34 AM

Hi all,
I noticed recently (while trying to check if I was allowed the goodies on the office table) that Cadbury website has a page with gluten information, listing all the products that do and don't contain gluten. Pretty good. Be nice if all companies did that. Re soy sauce, I was pretty sure tamari wheat free was also gluten free. Hope that's right. Gotta love orgran. I love their falafal - it is even SCD compliant.

#772 josie656

josie656

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:41 AM

There's a gluten free bakery in Auckland too. Called Marx - it's in St Helliers. Really good range. Not that I've been there since this recent return to gluten free. Might visit soon! Yes Venerdi does need to be toasted, haven't really found a gluten free bread that doesn't need to be.

#773 edibleart

edibleart

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

Hello everyone *waving* :D

I just joined today and have been reading your posts with much interest.

Regarding the Bellyhoo pies, I rang the company today and am waiting on a phone call back for my nearest stockist. I also rang Coles head office and the woman I spoke to is going to find out why the line was deleted from stores. I told her how difficult it is to get products that are safe and that taste great, so I hope she can find out for me.

I'll intro myself properly in coming posts..

Joanne
Joanne

----------------

Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease 1997
Wheat free since 2009
Diagnosed with Hashi 2010
Dairy free since 2011

#774 amber

amber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

Hi all,
I noticed recently (while trying to check if I was allowed the goodies on the office table) that Cadbury website has a page with gluten information, listing all the products that do and don't contain gluten. Pretty good. Be nice if all companies did that. Re soy sauce, I was pretty sure tamari wheat free was also gluten free. Hope that's right. Gotta love orgran. I love their falafal - it is even SCD compliant.

Many companies don't list gluten free products as much anymore as the labelling laws mean that you don't really need to refer to them. I am not sure if you are in NZ or Aus. but I assume the laws are the same in that any allergy causing ingredient must be listed on the label whichs makes determining if a product is gluten free so much easier than it was a few years back.

#775 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

Shroomie, I always wanted to visit Chch and never got around to it and the earthquake was kind of a major dampener (which made me feel bad as I'm sure tourists are needed) but I may well fly over for a gluten free bakery! We had one here in Leichhardt but it closed down.

Oh NO! Are you serious?! Healthy feast has shut down:( Boohoo. They did amazing cakes!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#776 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

Have today found a bunch of gluten-free stuff- Oh so helpfully in the bread and bakery aisle, ( not the fresh bakerey section). I found a box of individual brownies from Cakemark and biscuits and fruit bites from Jon Jon. The fruit bites look the mince pies they put out at Christmas except that they came in apricot or berry. I guess the good thing about them been in the normal section means people might buy them by accident. All them seemed to be around the $5 mark, still a bit more expensive the no gluten-free but reasonable compared to some of the ones you buy at health places. You can buy brownie mix and get more but sometimes you don't have time to cook. Also I think other people find it less daunting to buy something for you if they don't have to venture into the health food aisle, wheater not it's just telling to buy a specific brand or something with gluten free written on.

#777 amber

amber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

For those who live in Melbourne (particularly in the south eastern suburbs) there is a great gluten free bakery in Moorabbin called Glutenfree4you. They have the usual breads, pies, sausage rolls, cakes etc. PLUS gluten free donuts, jam donuts, canoli and other amazing gluten free goodies. My daughter had her first gluten free jam donut on the weekend and last week she had a yummy canoli.

Here is a link to their website. Check before visting for opening hours.

http://glutenfree4u.com.au/

#778 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

My local coles have bellyhoo pies back in - yay!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#779 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:34 AM

My local coles have bellyhoo pies back in - yay!

I noticed some in one near me the other day, thought it must have been the last of the stock but maybe it was new. Have been saving the ones I had. Not sure what happened but a shame they went out of stock in the cooler months- perfect pie weather.

#780 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

Just tried the new improved (according to packaging) Country Life bread. It seems slightly larger and thicker than before, also a slightly different taste/texture- not sure if I prefer it yet.

Either I haven't paid attention the last few times I've bought it or the price has also gone up to $6.70. I know it's only about $1 more but part of the reason I'd previously bought was for cheapness, and it's now about the same as some other nicer brands. At least for my taste.

What does everyone else think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: