Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply

956 replies to this topic

#781 beebs

beebs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

I came on to mention the new Country life as well Saz!

I Think it is 100 times better than it was before. It doesn't smell like the ocean when toasting and tastes like real bread. It is more expensive, but still cheaper than shar and those other brands. I am well impressed with it. I basically have only eaten this bakery bread (so I went a year without bread) until now. I just couldn't get past how bad country life was. I think the new one is so much better, I had it for breakfast and lunch already. haha!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#782 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:21 AM

I came on to mention the new Country life as well Saz!

I Think it is 100 times better than it was before. It doesn't smell like the ocean when toasting and tastes like real bread. It is more expensive, but still cheaper than shar and those other brands. I am well impressed with it. I basically have only eaten this bakery bread (so I went a year without bread) until now. I just couldn't get past how bad country life was. I think the new one is so much better, I had it for breakfast and lunch already. haha!

Yea. Had some for toast this morning and am impressed at how well it came out. It toasted all the way through and the crust didn't go hard. Have also tried it just as a sandwich again, still not sure if I like it better just as bread. Looking foward to trying the fruit loaf though, should make a tasty breakfast if it toasts as well as the multigrain.

#783 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

Gluten Free Expo in Sydney!

http://www.glutenfreeexpo.com.au/

Today and tomorrow. Oops late notice :)

#784 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

Also, yay about the new country life bread! I saw it and it looked sooooooo much better than the evil old stuff. Good for them. I don't really eat bread but glad there's a good one easily available. I was on teaching prac awhile back and I noticed a child's sandwich disintegrating into a pile of crumbs and thought, yep, that kid's gluten free :-)

#785 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:35 AM

Those in cyclone and flood prone areas, are you prepared for the cyclone/wet season? What sort of things do you have in your pantry? It's probably in here somewhere, but the thread is so long and my eyes are so sore lol.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#786 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

In case anyone is super organised, woolworths have started seling gluten-free fruit mince bites and Christmas puddings. The puddings come in a largeish version or two mini ones. they are hiding in amongst all the regular Christmas stuff, which most stores already seem to have shelves of. I found one store which had spread it around, maybe they think we won't notice if try to hide it?

#787 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

I was considering boycotting all stores that try to hide their gluten-free stuff, but then, if they don't sell any it just means one less place that carries it. What to do? What to do?

(I've tried threatening them, told them I drive past their market to shop somewhere else. Any other ideas on how to get them to have a dedicated gluten free section? Telling them I just get angry foraging around amongst all the gluten stuff that I will never buy just does not seem to cut the mustard.)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#788 icm

icm

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

The new country life bakery loaves are great. 'Tis a shame they had to add soy and maize as it seems lots of people do badly with these.

Also to all Australians and New Zealanders who have a relative with TYPE 1 DIABETES: An opportunity awaits.

The people conducting a trial for preventing type 1 diabetes are in desperate need for people to have a blood screening test to see whether they are at risk for IDDM by measuring antibody responses.

I think everyone here should be screened (esp. if celiac), even if purely for peace of mind: http://www.stopdiabetes.com.au/

#789 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

I found a new brand of bread in coles. It's called Pure-bred and is made in Ireland. It only comes in a small loaf but I think the slices are slighty bigger than other brands. It costs about $5
Straight out of the packet it has that plasticy look, but once you heat it is nice and soft and doen't crumble. I rekon you could almost moosh it like normal bread. The taste is good as well.

Know I should proberly support the Aussie companies but that's hard when the imported products taste so much better.

#790 Ebonyjade93

Ebonyjade93

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

Hi all,
Was just wondering if anyone has a list of naturally gluten free foods in Aus, I know there are lists about health foods, but I would love to have a list with foods that do not state that they are gluten free, but they actually are.

#791 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

Hi all,
Was just wondering if anyone has a list of naturally gluten free foods in Aus, I know there are lists about health foods, but I would love to have a list with foods that do not state that they are gluten free, but they actually are.

Unfortunetly apart from palin fruit and vegetable it is a case of always needing to read a label. There isn't a catagory of food that is always gluten-free, even plain rice should be checked just in case it has been processed on the same line as pasta.

There a lot of youghurts that are ok but not labeled. Not sure how new you are to this but even if you find something not labeled gluten-free, it is a good to check ingredients regulary as companies often change ingredients.

#792 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

EbonyJade, like Saz says, read the label, there are tonnes that are fine but no easy list. Is there any product in particuar that you're wondering about? We could let you know what we eat. There are quite a few that are in the regular parts of the supermarket. I'm in Coles practically every day and I'd be happy to check anything you were curious about.

Shroomie, I know, it's very annoying! I emailed Coles to say that we weren't going to find the crumpets and english muffins if they buried them in amongst the regular ones but did they listen? Nope. I still haven't bought them because when I look at the packets right next to the regular ones I remember how much I loved the regular ones and why bother paying so much more for something that won't taste as good? Yet my attitude when I saw them in England amongst a bunch of other gluten free products was YAY!!! because I was so excited to see so many options. They just don't get it but you think they'd take our free advice!

And I saw woolworths stock gluten free flour (the macro brand) on the shelves with the regular flour, those bags of dust!!!! Insane, there's no way I'd touch anything from near there, it'd be all over my hands and I'd for sure touch my mouth without thinking.

Yum, bread, thanks for the heads up Saz! I've been on a bit of a Dovedale bender latety. Tooooasssssst!

#793 icm

icm

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

I found a new brand of bread in coles. It's called Pure-bred and is made in Ireland. It only comes in a small loaf but I think the slices are slighty bigger than other brands. It costs about $5
Straight out of the packet it has that plasticy look, but once you heat it is nice and soft and doen't crumble. I rekon you could almost moosh it like normal bread. The taste is good as well.

Know I should proberly support the Aussie companies but that's hard when the imported products taste so much better.

Pure Bred is really good, I much prefer it over Country Life. Nicer packaging and less nasty ingredients.

#794 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

Still no vegan bread on the market.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#795 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:49 AM

Pure Bred is really good, I much prefer it over Country Life. Nicer packaging and less nasty ingredients.

I tried the multigrain pure-bred this week- just as nice as the white. Planning on trying the rolls next - if I can find them. Not sure if everyone is trying them or if they aren't getting a lot of stock but I keep seeing the price tag and a empty shelf in a lot of places. I hope it's because everyone is buying it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: