Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply

959 replies to this topic

#796 Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Still no vegan bread on the market.

Orgran bread mix can be made as vegan bread. I've tried it that way and it is quite nice. But it does taste better when you add the egg and milk powder.

I think that Silly Yaks bread is vegan but you need to check that because I'm not certain.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#797 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

For anyone interested, I have noticed a few Coles stores have started selling Garlic and corriander naan breads from the livwell range. .

#798 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

I think it is about time that Coles moved over here!! We have little/no competition between Woolies dba Countdown, and Foodstuffs, dba New World and their budget line Pak 'n Save. And the prices are outrageous -- for everything!
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#799 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

Over here Woolies and Coles are the main two.

#800 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Over here Woolies and Coles are the main two.

You mean another basically non-competitive environment??? Ye Gods, I hate it when everyone buys everyone else up and then they do what they durned well please. And then when your banks come over here and buy up all our banks, and then buy each other up :ph34r: - well, now I'm looking for another bank again!! (third time) :lol:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#801 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

I tried the purebred long rolls today. It was fine until about the third mouthful....it was so soft and tasty that I thought I must have grabbed someone elses lunch. I didn't they are just really tasty.

I also tried the Livwell naan bread which was perfect with my curry.

Will now stop going on about these brands- at least until they bring out something new.

#802 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:21 AM

For anyone who might be travelling to the U.K- While Marks and Spencer don't really have online shopping they do have a list of food that does not contain gluten. It is very extensive and seems to include things like chesse that in most cases would be naturally gluten free. Something else to note- in their stores they don't really have a health food isle but rather have loads of gluten free marked food scattered around the store. It's not as complicated as some of the stores that do it here, as that is the setup for the whole store. So for example gluten-free pasta can be found in same part as normal, as can cakes. Also, at least when I was there a few years ago, they label things like crisps and mousses that mostly in here you would need to read the ingredients list for.

#803 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

I am so totally in love with the pure bred range. I have missed sausage sizzles so much but lately I have been having them on the roles (I split them in half and toast first) and they are SO GOOD. Plus I've been eating toast like there's no tomorrow. You don't want to know how much weight I have gained, OMG....

#804 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

I am so totally in love with the pure bred range. I have missed sausage sizzles so much but lately I have been having them on the roles (I split them in half and toast first) and they are SO GOOD. Plus I've been eating toast like there's no tomorrow. You don't want to know how much weight I have gained, OMG....

It's amazing. I love the crust on the bread rolls. I keep double checking the packet to make sure it says gluten free not guilt free or something simillar. I've even had non gluten-free people ask if "Are your sure, you can have that".

I've had the livwell rolls this week, which are also very tasty. They can sometimes be little crumbly and hollow but sitll taste great.

I'm off to England and Ireland in a few weeks- I'm gunna get loads of gluten-free jaffa cakes and have found a few places that do CRUMBED gluten free fish and chips. Also a bakery in Brixton that only sells gluten free stuff. My only problem is having enough time try everything

I think I'm going to come home a different shape to when I leave.

#805 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Ooh, you lucky thing. Have a great trip! I loved the gluten free brownies that they sold in Sainsburys. I ate so many of them when I was there in 2010. Plus you can bring back stuff at much better prices than we pay here, customs don't mind packaged baked goods (I speak from experience, haha).

crumbed fish and chips would be amazing. Haven't had that in years. I miss potato scallops :-(

#806 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

Ooh, you lucky thing. Have a great trip! I loved the gluten free brownies that they sold in Sainsburys. I ate so many of them when I was there in 2010. Plus you can bring back stuff at much better prices than we pay here, customs don't mind packaged baked goods (I speak from experience, haha).

crumbed fish and chips would be amazing. Haven't had that in years. I miss potato scallops :-(

Yea. I sometimes buy the bayview fish but it's not the same as getting it hot from a shop. What Kind of things did you bring back? I've tried to find out what you can't bring back but the information is rubbish. I've had people bring back bisuits and bready things and all seemed ok.

#807 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

I meant to bring back the brownies but I uh, ate them all on the way. But I brought back english muffins (from the UK) and I regularly bring back Udi's bread / bagels, Chex cereal and snickerdoodles from the US. I've even brought back lara bars from the US once because they were so much cheaper there and I thought they might be an issue but it was fine (thank god as they were scattered all through my bag and I would've had to do some majory searching if they wanted them chucked out). I always declare them and customs ask a few questions (and I think they got quite a bit of amusement from my 'please let me keep my gluten free bagels!!' pleas) but they've always said it's fine.

Also a friend has posted me snickerdoodles and betty crocker brownie mix and while customs sometimes open the parcels, they've never confiscated them. So you should be fine with bread, cake type things etc. It's way more than I could say eat in transit but no where near like I'm planning on opening a shop with it. I'd imagine those kinds of large quantities would be an issue.

#808 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:19 AM

At Nandos today I noticed packets of chips that are marked as gluten free. There was a mild one and hot one. Also something I discovered recently is that Red Rooster hot chips seem to be gluten-free by ingredient. They do battered stuff as well so there might be cc there.

I was looking at the Mcdonalds Uk site the other night and under the ingredients list for the fries it states that they are sometimes fried in the same fryer as the vegie pattie. They then helpfuly list the ingredients for that item right next to it. From what I remember it seemed ok. That's the first time I've ever seen something like that.

I got really annoyed earlier tonight- I wanted some tin souped (yes I know it's summer). Any way I picked up a few tins that were fine except for yeast from Barley. Why can't they just use gluten-free yeast? I know it might be slightly more expensive but surely the fact that more people could eat would even it out? I really don't like Lazuupa ones and they are about the only packet ones in the "normal" aisle labeled gluten-free.

#809 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

In woolies tonight I came across coco pop breakfast drinks. Next to the up and go etc. I read the ingredients and they seemed to be gluten-free. Just checked the website and it would seem to suggest the same. http://www.kelloggs.....html#prevpoint contains link to product listing. be great if someone could take a look a confirm if I'm just blind and GLUTEN is clearly written somewhere. I find it interesting if not as coco pops (last I checked) have gluten. There also seems to be a nutrigrain one that would be ok.

I'm betting they don't taste the best but I really struggle with breakfast, especially as for me it is usually deskfast. What does everyone do for breakfast on the go? Not really a fruit and youghurt person.

#810 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

It is a chocolate flavoured milk ..... Coco PopsĀ® Chocolatey Liquid Breakfast contains milk, sugar, vegetable fibre (inulin), cocoa, flavours, stabilisers, vitamins & minerals  - no rice bubbles at all ... Inulin is similar to psyllium as it provides soluble dietary fibre. The product is gluten free with only milk listed as an allergen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: