Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply

962 replies to this topic

#841 Addison

Addison

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

I agree Saz, there is not enough pre-made foods. If I have had a really long day at work, I'm tired and just want some thing easy to have for dinner. Not have to prepare a big meal.

From what I have read, a lot of people are encouraging the increase to the level of gluten found in food to be labled gluten free.

IF (big underline on the word "if") the change will not be harmful to coeliacs, then I am for it. The change will bring us up to the same standard of the UK and other countries. It will reduce the cost of production and gluten testing, plus make more foods available. I am starting to get frustrated on the availabilty of foods for coeliacs. I keep buying the same things in my shop and getting sick of the same food over and over.

I know I am still new to being coeliac, so I'm open to others opinions.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#842 UnhappyCoeliac

UnhappyCoeliac

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:43 AM

I am eating lots of Toberlone since Cadbury changed their labelling Toberlone is our only friend in the gluten free chocolate market. I think maybe some Haighs too but they are hard to find. Liking the change anyway was over Cadbury

#843 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:14 AM

Shame about Cadbury- really going to miss the peppermint chocolate. Does anyone know of any mint chocolate bars that are ok? Preferably just 'regular" ones rather something I buy in health food section. It must be hard for companies sometimes to have either seperate line or fail safe wash down procedures but if they did it would mean more people could buy the food.

#844 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:46 AM

Coles have realeased a range of their own brand gluten-free products. Not sure if this is good thing or not, it will depend if they stop selling other brands. A bit of internet search reveals that there are are around 30 products in the range. Some of seems to be packet mix stuff that are available in other brands and biscuits. Most exciting  of what I've seen so far is instant quinoa cups-  similar to the microwavable rice things that you get- but gluten-free obviously.

As I mentioned above- not sure yet if this is good thing, hopefully it is a case of us been given more choice rather than it replacing something.

#845 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

I suggest you alll stop whatever you are doing right now and rush down the local Coles to see if they are stocking Genius bread. I just found some in the frozen section (where they have patties/bellyhoo).

For anyone not aware it is Uk based brand. I tried the bread when I was over there a few years ago and is one of the best gluten-free breads I've ever had. , Not only did the loaf survive travelling around in my backpack, I didn't need a mircowave to make it tasty. On my most recent trip I also found that they do Crossiants and Pan au chocolate things.

Between Genius, Livewell and Purebred I'm not sure  I'll be buying the Aussie brands to often.

#846 Analog6

Analog6

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

It's amazing. I love the crust on the bread rolls. I keep double checking the packet to make sure it says gluten free not guilt free or something simillar. I've even had non gluten-free people ask if "Are your sure, you can have that".

I've had the livwell rolls this week, which are also very tasty. They can sometimes be little crumbly and hollow but sitll taste great.

I'm off to England and Ireland in a few weeks- I'm gunna get loads of gluten-free jaffa cakes and have found a few places that do CRUMBED gluten free fish and chips. Also a bakery in Brixton that only sells gluten free stuff. My only problem is having enough time try everything

I think I'm going to come home a different shape to when I leave.

Are you aware it is made in Ireland and imported frozen?  I was loving them until I realised the food miles it was cranking up.  I morally object to it.

For the NZers here, I always thought your New World and our Coles are the same - ours used to be Coles new World (a long time ago) and they dropped the NW part.  I've visited NZ twice and found the products pretty much the same.

I am a self diagnosed Coeliac as I went gluten free - via a very low carb diet - for a few weeks and realised I had lost all my horrid symptoms.  I suffered:

• Gastrointestinal Symptoms - constipation, nausea, flatulence, cramping, bloating, abdominal pain
  • Weight  gain 
  • Infertility (I never had children and there were plenty of opportunities)
  • Fatigue, weakness and lethargy
  • Easy bruising of the skin
  • Recurrent mouth ulcers and/or swelling of mouth or tongue
  • Dermatitis herpetiformis - very badly
  • Altered mental alertness and irritability
  • Bone and joint pains
  • Failure to thrive in children
  • Delayed growth or delayed puberty in children
  • Migraine headaches - 2-3 a week
  • Depression
  • Poor dentition

At first I thought I was just very intolerant, but as time goes by and I eat less gluten my symptoms get worse.  The culmination was last Sunday when I was tempted by a small piece of Turkish bread and had it in a steak sandwich (home made)  After 3 hours of agonising cramping and griping pains, which were so bad my partner wanted to take me to the hospital, I have sworn off it for life.  I loosely follow a Primal lifestyle and am trying to give up all grains.  I saw on another forum that rice and corn have a type of gluten too and can give problems.

I am also trying to follow the 5:2 fasting lifestyle to lose some weight, at 115kgs I need to lose 40-50 kgs.  My joint pain is horrendous.  Look forward to joining in here and getting some tips on managing this.

#847 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

Are you aware it is made in Ireland and imported frozen?  I was loving them until I realised the food miles it was cranking up.  I morally object to it.

Yes and I don't care. When I find a local equivilant that is of equal or better quality then I will stop buying the imported ones. As far as the Livwell range goes, alot of it doesn't even have an equivilant product made in Aus.

#848 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:13 AM

Hmm getting reservations about the new Coles range. One of my local stores has simply gluten-free branded chicken tender and beef pies and surprise surprise the bellyhoo and bayview ranges have been reduced to clear. The pies don't look as nice as the bellyhoo ones and really aren't much cheaper. They also had pizza bases which is great because you can't get frozen ones from there. Although the Genius brand which was also released this week have bases in their range.

I want more choice not the same amount of choice in a different box. Heat and eat meals like lean cuisine would have been a great idea.

* I realise I rant a lot on here- it's just no one I know has any food allergies, so they don't really "get it"

#849 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

Has anyone tried the new gluten-free bread been sold in Woolworths? I think it is called burgeon? Saw it the other night but couldn't get a good 'feel' for it due to packaging

#850 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:35 AM

Cathy,

Do you have any info on O'Brien Brewing? Saw from website they have a gluten-free beer. I also saw they will be doing something in Sydney on Sept. 29. Maybe someone could try the beer and give an opinion on it's taste.

Tom

It's sold at Dan Murphey's up my way, I'm in North Queensland.  It's not toooo bad, but I'm a XXXX girl myself so quite a bit different.  It's a heavy beer, so 2 of those in 20 minutes knocked me a little while 2 XXXX Golds in that length of time are fine.  I have to watch the intake a little more, and once you get used to the taste, it's not really that bad.  Not as bad as VB :P

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#851 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:34 AM

Tonight for my dinner I had CRUMBED chicken shitznel that I bought from Woolworths. I found them in the fresh meat setion. No idea how long they've had them because they in the part of the fridge I don't check because they never have anything. They are hard to spot because the packaging is the same as the gluten one, except it says gluten free. Anyway they are delcious, if someone had just served it to me I would have questioned it been gluten-free.

About $7 for 6.

I put ham and chesse on mine. Closest thing to real chicken parma I've had in years and years.

I like buying food in the regular section, makes me feel normal but starting to think it would be easier if they just dedicated an entire section to gluten-free. Frozen, fresh and all.

#852 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:24 AM

Tonight for my dinner I had CRUMBED chicken shitznel that I bought from Woolworths. I found them in the fresh meat setion. No idea how long they've had them because they in the part of the fridge I don't check because they never have anything. They are hard to spot because the packaging is the same as the gluten one, except it says gluten free. Anyway they are delcious, if someone had just served it to me I would have questioned it been gluten-free.

About $7 for 6.

I put ham and chesse on mine. Closest thing to real chicken parma I've had in years and years.

I like buying food in the regular section, makes me feel normal but starting to think it would be easier if they just dedicated an entire section to gluten-free. Frozen, fresh and all.

I shop at Foodworks and they have everything with the regular ones, so the gluten free bread is in the bread section, the pasta is in the pasta section, the cereal is in the cereal section, and so on.  It does make it easier because when I went to Coles last week I couldn't find what we needed, completely forgot that it was in the health food section, it's been a long time since we've been there and they've renovated so the whole thing has changed since our last visit.

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#853 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:02 AM

Bürgen® gluten-free bread is a NZ product that's been available for years. Currently, there is only the three types, but mine like  it better than their previous bread-of-choice.

Only the specific gluten-free manufacturers have their products in the Health Section. Most of the product, that happens to be gluten-free, is spread throughout the supermarket. For example, gluten-free products like San Remo Pasta, Carmen's Muesli Bars, Macro flours, Changs Rice Noodles, Kikkoman Soy Sauce, Select White corn tortillas, etc are all located in their respective product aisles. Even, gluten-free bread is in with it's glutenous counterparts. 

#854 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:25 AM

http://www.craftyche...glutenfree.aspx

The above are a new line of frozen meals- found them in Wollies tonight. They cost $7. Slightly cheaper than some other specially gluten-free ones, just a bit annoying because the same company has sold a butter chicken for about $4 for a long time, which from memory was ok by ingredient but had the may contain warning.  Think I will wait until they go on special and buy them then.

Really looking foward to my butter chicken for lunch tomorrow!

#855 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:18 AM

Had the butter chicken for lunch- it's really good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: