arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply
933 replies to this topic

#871 Saz

Saz

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:23 AM

Shame about the Quinoa cups, noticed the few Coles I go to hadn't had them but was hoping it was just them. Really like Quinoa but I can't seem to cook it correctly so the heat and eat cups were ideal.

Very happy about your verdict on Genius bread been best in fibre. I can now "justify" the hefty price tag. I also freaked out the first time I tried their bread. I was in the U.K and had bought it to make a sandwich for dinner. I got really worried two bites in and read just about everything on the packaging to confirm I didn't pick up the wrong type.

I will eat the Genius bread untoasted, Not sure if the crumbly factor has something to with it been frozen. When I bought it in England it wasn't frozen and survived in my suitcase really well.

I got some Lifestyle Bakery Chia and quinoa bread tonight- nice and soft and goes great with cheese and whatever gluten-free Vegemite spread you like.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#872 Neon rainbow

Neon rainbow

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:45 AM

Hello all, I just joined and saw this thread. I'm a kiwi, been gluten-free since before Easter this year. Very much a learning curve. But the pros have fully out weighted the cons.

:)

#873 Addison

Addison

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hi group,

Been MIA for a bit. Welcome to the new people. Hello to every one else.

Can I ask what multi vitamin you all use. I recently found out Swisse has discontinued their gluten free womens multi. Pretty disappointed! The chemist tried to tell me the normal multi is gluten-free but reading the ingredients it contains gluten from muesli.

#874 Addison

Addison

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:30 PM

Has any one tried the Helgas gluten-free bread? I saw it while I was in Adelaide but haven't seen it in Brisbane yet. Admittedly I have only looked once.

I tried the Genius bread a while back and found it very dry and broke apart when I buttered it after toasting. I wasn't a fan. I have gone back to the Golden Hearth bread for now. Still tastes like eating a sponge though.

I have been avoiding buying Coles gluten-free products as I have noticed they are pushing out competitors. Other brands now have a tiny section at my supermarket and there is a sea of coles brand. From what I have tried, the pasta was terrible and fell apart , and the puff pastry didn't puff and left a pool of oil on top (same as what some one else mentioned). I have taken to making my own pastry. Maggie Beer has a nice and easy recipe for gluten-free pastry (just google gluten free pastry Maggie Beer). It crisps up nicely.

#875 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:11 AM

Has any one tried the Helgas gluten-free bread? I saw it while I was in Adelaide but haven't seen it in Brisbane yet. Admittedly I have only looked once.

I tried the Genius bread a while back and found it very dry and broke apart when I buttered it after toasting. I wasn't a fan. I have gone back to the Golden Hearth bread for now. Still tastes like eating a sponge though.

I have been avoiding buying Coles gluten-free products as I have noticed they are pushing out competitors. Other brands now have a tiny section at my supermarket and there is a sea of coles brand. From what I have tried, the pasta was terrible and fell apart , and the puff pastry didn't puff and left a pool of oil on top (same as what some one else mentioned). I have taken to making my own pastry. Maggie Beer has a nice and easy recipe for gluten-free pastry (just google gluten free pastry Maggie Beer). It crisps up nicely.

Helgas is available in Brisbane. I've seen it in Coles and Woolworths stores in the city. I haven't tried it yet, it looks similar to the Brugen bread- which I tried and thought the texture was awful.

If you only tried the white genius bread, give the brown or seeded one ago. They are a lot nicer I think.

#876 Sammykins

Sammykins

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:45 AM

How are you toasting the Genius bread? I have found that if I defrost the seeded bread in the microwave first then put it under the grill, it gets all dried out like a rusk and is terrible! However, I don't have this problem if I put it in our toaster while frozen and use the defrost mode. Perhaps toasting it from frozen locks in some moisture.

I haven't tried any of the Helgas gluten-free bread but am interested in checking it out.

Thank you for the Maggie Beer pastry recommendation. :)

---

Has anyone seen any of the Simply Wize Deli Wafers (Poppyseed & Sea Salt) in any Coles supermarkets? It's been a number of months now and I suspect they have been pushed out to make way for the Coles gluten-free range. Shame, as in my opinion they are one of the few cracker/wafer choices that do good cheese justice and I haven't seen anything similar. Woolworths don't appear to stock them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable replacement? I'm looking for something that isn't a salty 'jatz' or rice cracker type product. Those are good for dips or sharp cheddars that can take the stronger flavour profile and bigger hit of salt, but they seem to overwhelm soft cheeses.

#877 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

These look similar to the Simply wize ones. http://www.melindasg...ducts/crackers/

Maybe have a look in some deli type grocery stores, I have sometimes seen gluten-free wafer type crackers in those.

#878 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

Helgas and Burgen both now have gluten free breads in our local shopping centre.

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#879 Sammykins

Sammykins

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

These look similar to the Simply wize ones. http://www.melindasg...ducts/crackers/

Maybe have a look in some deli type grocery stores, I have sometimes seen gluten-free wafer type crackers in those.

Thanks Saz. :)

--

Regarding the Genius bread, I realised that I had been accidently grilling it using the pilot setting. Any bread + low temps = rusks. LOL. I didn't have the problem today when I used the proper setting on the oven.

#880 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:55 AM

Coles are selling little tubs of sweets things like Rum balls as part of their Christmas range and a lot of them are marked gluten-free.  They are been sold in same section as Christmas puddings etc. They aren't part of the simply range , the packs have red stickers and it says gluten free on them. Might be handy for friends/relatives - they might not feel as scared if they don't have to venture to the health section- Just make sure they know to get one marked gluten free as one or two of the tubs aren't.

#881 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:01 AM

I picked up a pack of 2 Macro Christmas puddings from Woolies.  Good to see the Christmas range expanding :)

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#882 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:16 AM

Woolies seem to have decided they want to get in on fresh gluten-free bakery thing like Coles. Purchased a pack of two lemon muffins tonight. Can't believe all these that there was nothing and now most majors have decided to introduce the ranges within weeks.

#883 Sammykins

Sammykins

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

I tried the Helga's Red Quinoa & Sunflower bread today. I liked it. It has the potential to be used untoasted for sandwiches when fresh (if feeling a little stale or dry to the touch, sprinkle a few drops of water on the bread, wrap with paper towel and microwave for 5 seconds), though perhaps isn't quite as soft untoasted as Country Life's multigrain bread. This is purely my opinion of course, I know some people hate gluten free bread 'raw'. ;-)

#884 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

Does anyone know where I can  gluten-free  version of jaffas? I'm sure last year  I found a generic brand in one of the supermarkets but can't find any generic versions this year. It's sort of tradition at home to have jaffas and mint leaves on the table on Christmas Day and don't want to miss out!

Was kinda disappointed this year to see that big bag of party mix coles put out for Christmas wasn't gluten-free. I've bought it other years and everyone loved them. Anyone seen big bags of gluten-free party mix? I don't want to have my own separate stash on the day- tried that one year and everyone forgot why mine separate and started eating them. Then they couldn't understand why I was getting cranky. It's allright for them, they can eat the others!

#885 Sammykins

Sammykins

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:23 AM

Does anyone know where I can find a gluten-free version of jaffas? I'm sure last year I found a generic brand in one of the supermarkets but can't find any generic versions this year. It's sort of tradition at home to have jaffas and mint leaves on the table on Christmas Day and don't want to miss out!

Was kinda disappointed this year to see that big bag of party mix coles put out for Christmas wasn't gluten-free. I've bought it other years and everyone loved them. Anyone seen big bags of gluten-free party mix? I don't want to have my own separate stash on the day- tried that one year and everyone forgot why mine separate and started eating them. Then they couldn't understand why I was getting cranky. It's allright for them, they can eat the others!

Would this be suitable, Saz? http://www.absolutel...rangeballs.html

I've never ordered anything from this company so I can't vouch for them, they just came up in a google search. They may do a party mix too, I haven't checked -- their list of confectionary products is extraordinarily extensive!

I know the feeling. Many has been the time when I or someone else has gone to the effort of making or buying some lovely gluten free dips, setting them aside completely separate to everything else with rice crackers and veggies, only to have the gluten hordes descend with their massive chunks of bread, contaminating everything. ARGH.

One time when I wasn't particilarly upset about it, the phrase "well, there goes the neighbourhood" came to mind and cracked me up, LOL. I can't see the humour in it though when there's precious little else to eat and/or they've ruined something special that I was really looking forward to eating -- especially when I haven't even had a chance to try it!!!! Ok, end rant. ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: