This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

Kaycee Collaborator
i would just like to say it is my traveling dream to see new Zealand :rolleyes::lol:;)

I hope you get to see us all over here.

It is beautiful here at the moment, our own Christmas tree the pohutakawa is flowering with brilliant red flowers, and they are a sight to see at the beaches in the north.

When you come over be sure to call in and see us.

Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
amber Explorer

Hi everyone! :):)

Just thought I would say hello. I have posted a few times in the travel section but not over here.

I am not a coeliac but my 10 year old daughter is and so is my sister. My daughter has been a coeliac since she was 2 and my sister since she was 32.

I am always on the lookout for new products and places to eat out and am an expert label reader after 8 years.

Just a few things:

Freedom foods have apparently got a gluten free wrap that actually wraps. I haven't tried one yet but would be interested to know if it actually does as it says.

We have been trying the new Patties party pies and meat pies. If you are a member of the Coeliac Society of Victoria you would have got a letter informing you of where they are being sold at the moment. They are doing a trial and you can buy gluten free meat pies and party pies from IGA in East Bentleigh and 2 or 3 other IGA supermarkets. Please contact Patties Pies if you want to know where you can buy them. They are also reasonably priced compared to other brands. $6.00 for two large meat pies or $4.00 for 3 party pies. Still not cheap but better than others I have seen.

georgie Enthusiast
We have been trying the new Patties party pies and meat pies

I so miss pies ! Are they available in SA ? Would IGA be able to search Patties name and find them listed ?

amber Explorer

Try www.patties.com.au

and use the contact us section to ask them about S.A. availability.

Saz Explorer

I have just finished a packet of the Freedom foods wraps and I have say that I was rather disapointed, they made an ok pizza base, but the really don't wrap all that well. I made one on Tuesday for lunch and it cracked with only a little salad in it. I did however make one tonight and first heated in Microwave, it seemed to wrap a little better and wasnt as chewy. I much prefer the wraps from the old time Bakery, I can get them at some helath food shops and they used to be In Woolworths. Just be sure to read the packaging as they do a variety and not all are gluten-free. Also get the brownish one, the white ones don't taste or wrap as good.

For pies there is a place here in Queensland called The gluten free bakery. They distribute a huge variety of stuff to some of the health food shops here, I'm not sure if they distribute to other states though. If you can get there stuff I recomend the Nenish tarts. On the downside it is a bit expensive.

I hope this trial of the pies works out and they sell them everywhere, I dream of the day I can go to a "normal" supermarket and pick out something other than veggies from the frozen section.

• 2 weeks later...
Saz Explorer

I would like to know if anyone eats at Mcdonalds and if you do what do you have?

georgie Enthusiast

Does anyone know if Wendys icecreams are gluten-free ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Saz Explorer
Does anyone know if Wendys icecreams are gluten-free ?

I just had a look on the their website and couldn't find anything. Maybe you could ask the staff as they may have a book that states wich ice creams are gluten free, I have been told that New Zealand natural do this. It may be up to you read thru the ingredients list tho as it may not state specifically if its gluten free. Anyway if you do find out please let me know.

Also a bit of bad news for fans of Diegos corn tortillias, I noticed when I was in coles the other day that they had a tag on them saying Discontinued line.

RiceAddict Rookie

Hello all. Just wanted to say I miss NZ so much. I used to live there not long ago and and wish to return again soon. I was not a celiac when I lived there, but it's good to know that food is easy to find there. My friends used to tease me by calling McDonalds the "American Embassy." Good times.

Kaycee Collaborator
I would like to know if anyone eats at Mcdonalds and if you do what do you have?

I don't eat at McDonalds, but in NZ there is a PDF file you can download, and I am sure there would be one for Australia on their website.

It looks like in NZ I can have their Garden Mixed salad without croutons, the only dressing I can use would be ETA French and ETA Avocado and Garlic. But I tried one of those salads less the dressing and I got sick. CC?

Bananaberry Smoothies are okay and most of their sundaes and coffees, but I can't vouch for them yet.

Not really a substantial type of meal though, salad and desert.

I have made a point of going to my local McD's and asking if anything is gluten free in there, but they have nothing to refer to, so I am still going to nag them until they have something to refer to.

Cathy

Kaycee Collaborator
Hello all. Just wanted to say I miss NZ so much. I used to live there not long ago and and wish to return again soon. I was not a celiac when I lived there, but it's good to know that food is easy to find there. My friends used to tease me by calling McDonalds the "American Embassy." Good times.

Oh, how sweet.

What part of NZ were you based in? I must admit I did not appreciate what we had up here in Northland until after I had been away in the South Island for 10 years, and then to come back up north with all the beaches etc, it is so wonderful. The South Island is wonderful too, beautiful scenery, but it is so cold, it even SNOWS!

McDonalds the American Embassy. Te he.

Note my Avatar is a very dry looking nz from the other day.

Cathy

georgie Enthusiast

I have emailed Wendys so will let you know.

I don't know about McDonalds as I don't eat there. Have you tried emailing them?

Cathy - NZ looks dry ! Is that North Island ? Its really dry here too and we are onto Stage 3 water restrictions here in SA.

RiceAddict Rookie

Kaycee,

I was working in Auckland, just outside downtown a ways. I did manage to travel the entire country while I was there; from Cape Rienga to Dunedin. Just changed my avatar to Purakaui Falls on the south island, this should make up for the dryness in your avatar.

By the way, is Hokey Pokey gluten-free?

Adam

Kaycee Collaborator
Just changed my avatar to Purakaui Falls on the south island, this should make up for the dryness in your avatar.

By the way, is Hokey Pokey gluten-free?

Adam

That's a lovely water fall, thanks for cooling me down, never been there, but it did look NZish. I'll have to go down to our falls in Whangarei and take a photo, they are beautiful too.

Cape Reigna gave me a very spiritual feeing, that is where the Maori believe their spirits jump off. Like you, I have only been as far south as Dunedin, a very Scottish city and I love it. Did you get to the lakes in the McKenzie Basin, one of my favourite places, my previous Avatar had the Church of the Good Shepard on the shores of Lake Tekapo.

Hokey Pokey, well that brings back memories of my childhood, an icecream after the beach, and you couldn't beat a hokey pokey ice cream cone. Did a quick check on an internet site, and it looks like all the hokey pokey (I presume you mean hokey pokey ice-cream) is gluten free. I now checked the recipe book, and yes it is made with sugar, golden syrup and bakings soda, so it looks pretty gluten free as long as the baking soda is gluten-free, but manufactured hokey pokey might not be gluten-free.

Cathy

RiceAddict Rookie

Looking out the back window at the Church of the Good Shepard.

Marg E Rookie

G'day from Western Australia! Any other WA folks out there? A few tips: Healtheries gluten-free muesli, Basco lemon cake and Orgran rice and corn pasta are all fantastic. Alternative Bites (Garden City and Belmont) is a totally gluten free bakery (the BEST gluten free bread, cakes, pies etc). Does anyone know of any gluten free breath mints? Thanksx

georgie Enthusiast

Hi Marg, I am from SA but will save your bakeries in case I am ever there ! I have just heard today of a good gluten-free cafe down Rundle St end of Rundle Mall. They did gluten-free wraps and lots!

Still no word from Wendys.

Marg, I have the Streets icecream list if you need it!

Saz Explorer
Hi Marg, I am from SA but will save your bakeries in case I am ever there ! I have just heard today of a good gluten-free cafe down Rundle St end of Rundle Mall. They did gluten-free wraps and lots!

Still no word from Wendys.

Marg, I have the Streets icecream list if you need it!

Would be able to be pm or email me the list? If its ok please Pm me and I will send you my email address. Thanks.

Also I am about 95% sure that the Diegos packs were the Brown and yellow ones.

Saz Explorer

I highly reccomend Country Life Fruit bread wich is available at Woolworths and I think coles. It's just great, It's got things like apricot pieces in it. Of course it doesn't have the texture of normal bread but it really is nice toasted with a bit of butter. I have eaten 4 pieces of it since last night. Also all their other products are good - they apprently do a swiss roll wich is available at Health food stores, although I have not seen it.

amber Explorer

I was just checking out the McDonalds website and noticed that there herb fusion chicken salad is gluten free including the dressing. I am getting it clarified thru email though. Also there chocolate thickshake is supposedly gluten free but it contains malt syrup so I am getting them to check that out too.

georgie Enthusiast

Let us know Amber. I really miss chocolate milkshakes! I did a really silly thing last night and licked a spoon after making tuna mornay for my Mum. Today I feel really ill ..... :(

Saz - I use Country Life bread all the time. Its great! My local IGA store can order it too. But I haven't found any wraps yet. Anyone know a good wrap?

Saz Explorer

Old Time Bakery wraps are great, They are unfortunately a bit hard to find, try health food shops or an oraganic shop. My local Woolworths also stocked them for a short time. Just be sure to get the ones marked gluten-free as they do a few different sorts. I also recomend the brownish coloured ones they wrap far better than the white ones and I think they are also better tasting.

georgie Enthusiast

This is the Wendys list. Now we can indulge !

- Wendy

Saz Explorer

Thanks for the Wendys list.

I have Nestle and Gloria Jeans drink list- please pm if your interested. Also Baskin and Robbins, Kraft and Cadbury have lists on their websites.

amber Explorer

Lets not forget Wendy's Flake Shakes for complete indulgence - choco. milkshake with pieces of Cadbury flake chocolate.

Archived