Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply

956 replies to this topic

#76 mackmackmackie

mackmackmackie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:19 AM

Mackmackiemackie

Have you tried Zaffraan http://www.zaaffran.com.au/ in Sydney. They a fabulous Indian restaurant. If you ring them before hand and just remind them on the night that you need a gluten-free meal they bend over backwards.

To be honest I've found Indian food is one of the best places. Well, decent Indian food places. Though I really want to find some Thai places, its the food i'm missing out on the most.

Thanks Aussie Peg for your information, though I must say you were right when you said it was a lot!

I'm still looking for places in the city for lunches, though i'm slowly finding more solutions. However, since I don't have a reaction to gluten until I've had it over a long period, I don't know if i'm being careful enough at times.

How do I tell if I have been glutened? I don't feel any better off it than on it....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#77 tracey*

tracey*

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:30 AM

Tracey

You possibly would be interested in the October addition of Delicious Magazine http://www.deliciousmagazine.com.au/ The front page shows of a gluten free dessert and they have ear marked a number of other gluten free dishes in the magazine. They have started doing this regularly.

Thanks for that :) I love it when magazines get into it a bit more!

My blog is at http://sh1ft.org/food - I'm eating through every supermarket and restaurant one meal at a time :P
wheat free & yeast free since may '06
also lactose intolerant

#78 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:14 AM

Has anyone tired the chocolate biscuit from the Coffee club? IT a chcoclate biscuit and it has white choc bits in it. I had one the other day really enjoyed it. You could kinda tell that it wasn't normal but like I said I enjoyed it. If you do have it make sure u lean over the plate, the are quite crumbly.

Also has anyone tired those cherry tarts from Jaimca Blue? I'm thinking of trying on but they are very over priced! $5! They had a nice looking Jaffa cake there today, but it cos $6-7.(same as all their cakes) I got a nice choc chip muffin from Muffin break instead :lol: I like Muffin break coz they don't charge extra for a muffin I can eat.

#79 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:33 AM

Hey. I was wondering if rice noodles are ok?

#80 tracey*

tracey*

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:39 PM

Can you get your hands on the ingredients, Saz?

Rice noodles are noodles that are made from rice. Their principal ingredients are rice flour and water, though sometimes other ingredients such as tapioca or corn starch are also added.

As long as you can have corn or tapioca, it should be OK
wheat free & yeast free since may '06
also lactose intolerant

#81 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:36 PM

Hey. I was wondering if rice noodles are ok?

Saz, I use Trident Rice stick noodles and they are fine. They are just rice flour and water.
Catherine

#82 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:01 AM

Saz, I use Trident Rice stick noodles and they are fine. They are just rice flour and water.
Catherine

Did you know that do a Thai noddle soup that if gluten-free? I haven't tired it, but it looks ok.

#83 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 05:28 AM

Are the coles brand jelly babies ok?
I'm fine witha product if it says wheat or barley or anything obvious or if there is like a flavouring or thickner that say in brackets derived from wheat. However sometimes it doesn't say what it was from and doesn't say further down on the package that it contains gluten or wheat.
Does anyone have a list they could send me?
Or does it mean it if it doesn't say from wheat in brackets or its not written on the statement further down that it is ok?

Trying very hard to be completely safe at home so that if I go out and do have something with a sauce I dont feel quite as bad.

* on month on Monday since major glutening YAH for me! Going to celebrate by getting a gluten-free carbornara or white rasberry cake. :P

#84 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:24 PM

Saz, I can't help you there with jelly babies, as we don't have Coles here in NZ.
But from what I gather New Zealand and Australian food laws are about the same, and if a product contains wheat or gluten, soy, peanuts, dairy and eggs (these might not be the total list, but I know gluten is in it), it has to be lablelled as such. But in having said that, I don't think it is something you can totally rely on. I have been caught, well I think I have been caught as I have had reactions to a pickle that was not labelled as having gluten.

My feelings now, like you, if I can see the wheat offending product on the list, it is a definate non-no. If something is labelled as having colouring or flavours without saying which, that is a no-no. I will not touch things that have wheat in the label and Gluten Free in brackets beside it. Numbers are better, because you can find out what they are, but probably not in the supermarket! I have a list of ones that I really need to avoid, but is it in my wallet, never when I need it. I have found some companies label whether they have gluten, soy etc in them, and I tend to trust them, especially if the product I have doesn't say anything about wheat, yet another of their products will point out the gluten. I have not been caught out yet with that, but I am rather wary when it comes to food, and don't eat a lot of processed food.

I don't know whether this all helps, but things seem to be getting better on the labelling front, so much so that things I thought were gluten free, and probably still are, are now labelled as produced on the same line as gluten containing things. Grrr, as I have been caught by theses things, they are no-no to me too. Sometimes I think I am being too stringent, but we have to work out for ourselves how much of a risk we are prepared to take, and we are all different, and different things affect us differently.

Catherine.

#85 Ruth52

Ruth52

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:42 PM

I have found with most jubie type lollies (jelly babies, raspberries, mint leaves etc.) that they have a find film of wheat starch around them to stop them sticking together in the pack. I know there is a debate about wheat starch but after eating anything that has wheat starch listed on the ingredients I get stomach cramps and life goes downhill for a couple of days.

Also I think that the cheaper the lollies, the more likelihood that they will have used more wheat and less starch. On the other hand nestle dark chocolate does not include wheat starch - life just keeps getting better!

Ruth.

#86 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:13 PM

Ruth, would you by some chance be a connosoir of chocolate like me? And could you help me here.
I love the stuff.

So far, Cadbury's seems okay for me, I only eat the Flakes (note no soy in these), dairy milk and Dream.
I tried Whittakers white chocolate the other day, and I felt quite awful later, and I know thier peanut slabs don't agree, but I thought that was the peanuts disagreeing with me.

What I want to know Ruth, is whether you have had any problems with Whittakers, or has anybody else, as they are supposedly gluten free.

But thanks for the hint about nestles dark chocolate, I might have to try this.

Having said this, I am now starting to get worried that my list of treats is getting longer and longer and that I might spoil myself a bit too often!

Also, contrary to my thoughts that I could not tolerate soy and lactose, that does not seem to be the case, but peanuts are a nono.
Catherine

#87 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:53 AM

They Jelly babies didn't say wheat starch. It was from corn syrup, I checked it out last night and from what I could gather they were ok, still not to sure about the colour flavoring tho. I did notice though that on some packets wich I was also looking at, they didnt have anything listed from wheat in brackets but the allergy statement said that It contained gluten. So I'm gussing it was the flavouring powder or something.
Basically sticking to the special made gluten-free stuff or things I know are fine.

Btw Are the mint flakes gluten-free?

#88 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:43 PM

Has anyone tried this yet? It looks yummy !

You possibly would be interested in the October addition of Delicious Magazine http://www.deliciousmagazine.com.au/ The front page shows of a gluten free dessert and they have ear marked a number of other gluten free dishes in the magazine. They have started doing this regularly.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#89 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:17 AM

Hey guys, I bet all you smart cookies already know this but just in case you don't. Make sure that you check the packaging of FREEDOM FOODS biscuits. Not all of them are gluten free. I picked up a packet of the blueberry bliss ones only to discover when I got them home that I can't eat them.

#90 Shiba

Shiba

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:34 AM

For anyone who lives in Sydney's northern districts, I have found a baker who makes great gluten-free bread. It still takes ages to toast, but it actually has a very similar texture to 'real' toast. They also do a nice gluten-free sultana bread, but it was a bit heavy on the cinnamon. As I am not coeliac, I still have normal toast when I'm out, but I am more than happy to eat this one. My husband just loves it - the first time I brought it home, he had toast for dinner<G> So far I've bought their gluten-free bread twice, and hubby has not shown any reactions - the bread is so good we keep thinking there must be some wheat flour in it! I had a long chat with the baker's wife last week, and she was clued up re different machine for gluten-free etc etc. After my daughter finishes her exams, she will try it - as she is very sensitive we'll know for sure if it is safe.
THe Bakers is Lims hot bread, in Eastwood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: