Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

• Please log in to reply

957 replies to this topic

#91 Saz

Saz

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:22 AM

Just me again.

Have any of you guys seen the Glutano break bars? I swear they taste like a kit kat. Im not sure how common the brand is in the health food shops here, there is only one in my area that stock them. The bar did cost $3 but honestly if you are lucky enough to ever come across I reccomend buying it.

It falls under the catagory of "Hmm I think I better check that label because it tastes so darn good! Unfortunately its not dairy or lactose free tho.

:P Just excuse while I go and wipe the drool of my keyboard.

Also guys If any of you are ever in Toowoomba I recomend the The coffee Bean House Located in Gardentown shopping centre. I had the most yummiest piece of caramel chessecake there today and they also do gluten-free Wraps and such.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 mackmackmackie

mackmackmackie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:31 PM

Howdy,

I found that noodle.com in Randwick makes good gluten free dishes and even has their own gluten free menu. Which is good seeing as i'm moving about 200m away from it very soon.

A quick tale..

After going for what I thought was 3mths without any incidents, my mother accidently swapped my gluten free pudding (the woolies ones, which aren't that bad, but not awful either) with her normal pudding. So low and behold......my first real experience since I stopped eating gluten. Which is strange, coz when I was eating gluten i'd never have a reaction directly from eating anything....

Anyhows, a question..I think even though I hadn't had any gluten, some trace amounts were still getting through.

Does the Nestle Ice-cream, with "Maltodextrin" (even though it doesn't say where it's from, meaning it shouldn't be from wheat) contain gluten? Looking at the ingredients I'd say no...

OR the only other thing I can think about would be Wasabi. The S&B prepared one once again doesn't seem to have gluten, but well....now I gotta be more careful....

#93 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:23 AM

Hey guys.

Just thought I'd let u all know that woolies choc milk has malt in it. I discovered this after I decided to read the ingredients AFTER consuming most of it. So ticked off as I was trying hard to be extra good after the maccas sundae I had the other day. Why did the one thing I didn't check the ingredients of have ot have malt in it?!

#94 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:26 PM

Do any of you know if the chai teas and iced coffe /chocolates from the coffee club are ok?
Also are what about drinks from other places?

#95 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:13 PM

Does the Nestle Ice-cream, with "Maltodextrin" (even though it doesn't say where it's from, meaning it shouldn't be from wheat) contain gluten? Looking at the ingredients I'd say no...

I had Street Blue Ribbon icecream last week and even though the label just said 'glucose syrup' I am sure I was glutened. Has anyone else tried that one?

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#96 mackmackmackie

mackmackmackie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:33 PM

Do any of you know if the chai teas and iced coffe /chocolates from the coffee club are ok?
Also are what about drinks from other places?

I'm not sure about the iced coffee, though one staff member told me the hot chocolate powder had gluten in it..not 100% sure if this is true for all of the places.

Starbux - are gluten free friendly. Hot chololates, coffees, etc are gluten free. Except for anything that obviously would have it. such as the cold drinks with fillers.

Gloria Jeans...supposedly coffees and hot chocolate are fine.. however my fave creamy hot cocoa has gluten, so does the cappucino

And again with ice-cream!

And with the ice-cream. The glucose syrup should be fine, even if it says "glucose syrup (from wheat)".
Any chance it's just the lactose hitting you up?

#97 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:39 PM

And with the ice-cream. The glucose syrup should be fine, even if it says "glucose syrup (from wheat)".
Any chance it's just the lactose hitting you up?

I guess I could try that but I am hoping its not :lol: I wasn't badly affected by the next evening so wonder if a trace of gluten from glucose syrup could be in the icecream without wheat being labelled. How strict are our food labels? Is all glucose syrup from wheat?

I am eating cheese and small traces of dairy and appear to have no problems with that. I guess I could get in touch with the company and ask what's in it.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#98 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:10 AM

Hi.

I just had a look see at the streets website and gotta say it was most unhelpful.

Georgie- Have you triple checked the ingredients? I know I have read ingredients list thru three times and not noticed that it says wheat or something.

#99 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:19 PM

I have just had an email back from the Streets company with a pdf of every icecream ! Call me the icecream expert now :lol: Blue Ribbon is gluten-free. Not sure what that means re me. Does that mean I have a dairy problem as well ? Or could I have been still reacting to the glutening I had a week earlier.

Gloria Jeans...supposedly coffees and hot chocolate are fine.. however my fave creamy hot cocoa has gluten, so does the cappucino

Does it ? Yikes!

#100 HawkFire

HawkFire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:35 PM

Hello! I just want to say that australia is so beautiful. Oh, I loved it there. I should look into relocating to australia right on the beach. Ok. I saw this post and had to gush. My daughter recently did a project on australia and it brought back so many wonderful images.
The American Diet of Chips, soda, ice cream, Goldfish Crackers, bread for breakfast (cereal, donuts, waffles, toast, bagels) cereal bars, "gummies", candy, msg, dairy products of all kinds, soy, and other chemicals - is Killing us and promoting diseases. BE HEALTHY. EAT NATURAL FOODS. DO NOT INGEST CHEMICALS! If you cannot pronounce it, do not eat it. Use Coconut oil. Eat herbs in salads. NO DAIRY. LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR FAMILY. FOOD IS MEDICINE!

#101 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:40 AM

[quote name='georgie' date='Nov 7 2006, 10:19 AM' post='230268']
I have just had an email back from the Streets company with a pdf of every icecream ! Call me the icecream expert now :lol: Blue Ribbon is gluten-free. Not sure what that means re me. Does that mean I have a dairy problem as well ? Or could I have been still reacting to the glutening I had a week earlier.

Maybe you picked up some gluten from somewhere else and didn't realise it? Or is it possoble that you might of just had a bug?

I wonder if the cappcino would be ok if you eliminated the choc from the top? My local Gloria Jeans are ignorant and I cant eat there so I just go to Coffee club (they have cookie that I like) Jamicablue or this awsome local place.

Can any one tell me if the ice cream at sizzler is bad? Hada bit tonight, was impressed that I avoided the Moose tho- assuming that has wheat or something else in it.

#102 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:42 AM

I posted this elsewhere tonight but I am hopping mad.... I have had 2 hospital cafe meals in last month. Both times they had NO gluten free food at all.Not even a cake. I was there waiting for 3 hours today and was REALLY hungry.The first time - the lady apologised but today the lady was REALLY rude and told me they had it once but it was not a good seller :blink: Both these hospitals are large city hospitals in Adelaide. I would be REALLY nervous about being an inpatient there....... :huh:

#103 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:03 AM

Thats not good. I would have thought that a major hospital would offer at least a Salad, wich would be naturally ok, I guess I can undertstand them not having a cake, but I'm sure they could get those Bryon bay cookies, there is also another type (Groumet delights I think) I have seen them In some of the Hospitals in Brisbane.

#104 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:42 AM

Yes. Still cross. When I said cake I meant one of those pre packaged biscuits or cakes you can get. The lady was so rude to me for even asking. I have just checked my Leda bar bought last week and its exp is Aug 07 - so can't see the issue there re dates and food being wasted excessively. This is just ONE bar we are talking about ! All the sandwiches were pre made in a fridge - not made on site.It was just a small cafe but its Adelaides largest private hosp.......

#105 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:33 AM

What kind of Leda bar was it? Are you talking about the single ones that you get from coles? I have seen these but not bought any as I thought they might taste a bit heavy. I got some of the leda fruit filled bars today, not bad, but not really to my taste. Oh by the way I highly recomend their Minton biscuits, they are the best, they recently changed them and the first one I tired seemed to have a bit of a taste but after that it was fine. It's so great to be able to eat choc mint cream biscuit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: