This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

georgie Enthusiast

I have just emailed Boost Fruit Drinks - to see if they are gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
georgie Enthusiast

Are Jaffas OK ???? I had a gluten-free muffin today and it had a Jaffa inside :blink:

Saz Explorer

I don't think that the Allens ones are- I'm fairly sure that they have wheat starch or something in the shells. I know that you can gluten-free ones.

Any word from boost?

Also does anyone know if the fruches that you freeze are ok? The other ones say gluten free on them, but not the frozen ones. The label did say contains wheat but the only obvious thing was from the glucose. I think I must have missed something tho, as I can't see why they wouldn't label it like their other products.

georgie Enthusiast

Do you know what brand of Jaffas are gluten-free. Did you know that American M&Ms are gluten-free ??? Do you know if we can bring them into Australia? I have a friend coming here soon from America.

I don't know about the frozen Fruches. I wonder if they come from a different factory that isn't gluten-free safe?

Haven't heard from Boost yet.

Saz Explorer

The Jaffa company is called Gluten free Groumet. I just checked their website and unfortunately it says the place I saw them in from is only one outside Victoria where they are available. However I got hold of one their Peppermint slices while in Brisbane recently, this place is not listed on their site. There is a contact us section on there site, and its seem that you can order it online but this may only be available in Victoria.

I'm not sure if I can post the site address but just put in the w's then the company name and .com.au

I don't think that you are allowed to bring in foods from other countries, but maybe you could ring customs and find out? I have seen in some lolly shops imported American lollies. I got some peanut butter M&mS last time I saw them (Wish I'd stocked up now) I'm not sure how common these shops are but I have come across 2 in completely different cities.

Can we eat Snickers? I thought that they were ok but have read that they're not. :unsure:

georgie Enthusiast

I emailed the Gourmet Co and they have a retail outlet in Adelaide ! I noticed there was one in Qld too !

Jayay Newbie

Has anybody tried Simply Better Biscuits products? They make a range of breads, foccacias and biscuits. As a non -coeliac myself I find some of their stuff very tasty, and my coeliac family members have become hooked. (My husband is fond of the bread, my son loves the florentine and double choc biscuits). I dont think they have a website, but they are located in Mitcham (Melbourne). I don't know how widely available their products are in the shops, but we get our supplies mail order with no worries.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Limygal Newbie

Hi, I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease back in April of 2004. I had been vomitting, direhea and losing weight rapidly that in the space of 10 days went down to 38kilos. Ended up in hospital for 14 days where my saviour my doctor found out what was wrong with me and set me on the right path. I'm 49 now so was diagnosed quite late in life. Before the diagnosis I was typically 100-105 lbs and at only 5'3" fairly slim. Never had a problem eating as I could eat more than most men and not gain weight. Now however I'm having the opposite and have gone from about 45kilos to 63kilos in 1 year. I eat about a 10th of what I used too and have stopped eating all gluten, never eat dairy and yet over Christmas gained 3 kilos. Have to admit have had a weakness for chocolate in the past couple of years. I'm wondering if anyone else is having the fat issue happen. My choleseral has also gone from being very low to 6 and it seems that now I absorb every bit of fat, cholesteral and bad stuff. I'm even finding that my allergy medicine isn't being absorbed right and I have to take Zantac to try to help with that. Anyone that can shed some light would be appreciated especially on getting the weight down and getting healthy again. Ta.

georgie Enthusiast

I was dx at 47 and its a mystery to me too why I didn't know about this sooner! My cholesterol was high but has come back to normal as I am now taking Armour Thyroid for low Thyroid. Armour is known to lower cholesterol - so that is one good side effect from having low Thyroid! Being able to take Armour :lol: Have you been tested for Thyroid as well ? Autoimmune diseases often happen together and Celiac is autoimmune. I have both. You need all the testing - not just TSH - but FT3, FT4 and Antibodies. Mine was only dx by Antibodies as the TSH was normal. And I still had to change Drs 3x to get an answer.

bender rodriguez Newbie

Hi all.

First post! Living in the UK but travel a lot. When I travelled 'down under', this is the list I used to find restaurants and more:

Open Original Shared Link

Just wanted to make sure you all knew it existed. We used the list several times and made a trip to Ironbark pizzeria in Sydney, who do gluten-free pizza's (you have to ask though). They even serve gluten-free beer with it, but it wasn't to my taste. I made my whole group have their pizza's gluten-free so I could try them all. We had a fantastic time.

I also found it incredibly easy (too easy...) to find health food shops or small bakeries which made gluten-free cakes and so forth. I always put on too much weight by the time I return home.

I'll post some other things I discovered elsewhere in this forum, which aren't Australia related. But just so you know: you can get gluten-free McDonalds burgers in Sweden (gluten-free bun), some great gluten-free pancakes in the Netherlands, and Disney cater for gluten-free diets.

In response to the last two posts: I've had Coeliacs all my life and with the abundance of gluten-free food in the UK supermarkets these days (I mean, honestly, chicken nuggets, fish fingers, English muffins etc. etc.) I have to make sure I don't buy too many things and keep eating.

The best way to control my diet I've found, apart from the fact my income can't support a perpetual feeding frenzy, is to eat protein: meats, eggs, cheese, tofu, tuna etc. Or, if you like, eat limited carbohydrates, so small portions of rice, potato, breads and especially sugars. I suppose this is a weaker form of the Atkins diet. I've just found that the more carbs I eat, the more hungry I get. But I'm no dietician, so please do get professional advice!

Hope this helps!

georgie Enthusiast

Thanks ! Its helps a lot. I may be going to UK next year and I am stressing about the food already ! It seems supermarkets in UK have gluten-free but is it easy to find in bakeries and pub meals ?

I have been Glutened by a day in the city 2 days ago. All I had was a Wendy's milkshake, and a Gloria Jean cake & coffee. I noticed the cake wasn't shrink wrapped and was sitting in the cabinet with all the others but on a seperate plate. Do you think that was it ?

I am just so stressed now about not being able to eat when I go out. :(

georgie Enthusiast
The Jaffa company is called Gluten free Groumet. I just checked their website and unfortunately it says the place I saw them in from is only one outside Victoria where they are available. However I got hold of one their Peppermint slices while in Brisbane recently, this place is not listed on their site. There is a contact us section on there site, and its seem that you can order it online but this may only be available in Victoria.

I found another online shop today that sells gluten-free food and has gluten-free Gourmet products. Its called glutenfreeshop and has LOTS !

Kaycee Collaborator

My diet seems to agree with me too. I limit my carbohydrates, especially the breads and cakes. But eat heaps of fruit and veges and protein, along with rice and spuds. I try not to eat anything processed as that is where the cost of the diet will get horrendous. Both manufacturers and myself will experience a growth margin. And yes the more bread and biscuit products I eat the hungrier I get.

I have found, that if I am not careful, the weight will just pile back on. I have not lost any weight and I would love too, but at least it has not gone on.

I was diagnosed later in life, at 48 and it has been hard the last year finding the right eating pattern that suits me.

Cathy

Saz Explorer
Thanks ! Its helps a lot. I may be going to UK next year and I am stressing about the food already ! It seems supermarkets in UK have gluten-free but is it easy to find in bakeries and pub meals ?

I have been Glutened by a day in the city 2 days ago. All I had was a Wendy's milkshake, and a Gloria Jean cake & coffee. I noticed the cake wasn't shrink wrapped and was sitting in the cabinet with all the others but on a seperate plate. Do you think that was it ?

I am just so stressed now about not being able to eat when I go out. :(

What coffee did you have? The chocolate powder of their cappuccino have gluten. I have the drinks list if you'd like a copy, just let me know.

I know that my local Gj'S offer orange and almond cake however the gluten free on the price tag has been scribbled out. I thought that is was a standard gluten-free cake. However someone told me that they don't say it is gluten-free because of cc issue. Hope you figure out what is was and feel better soon!

The coffee club do a biscuit that is in plastic wrap, I think their friands are also done this way - They let you open it so, there would be less chance of getting glutened.

I also enjoyed a brownie at Michels the other day, they also had carrot cake and a rasberry muffin. I'm not sure if this is new for anyone else, I enjoy there coffee but gave ever thinking I could eat there. They were also plastic wraped and made by Groumet Treats from heaven.

georgie Enthusiast

I had the latte. I don't remember cocoa on it. The cake was a slice of a log cake in their cooler cabinet. Thinking since and it may have cc issues from the cutting board or the tongs ? Would that be it ? Are Wendys milkshakes usually served with malt ? I said 'no malt' but he may not have heard me - as I didn't say gluten-free in a loud voice.

In future I will take my own food ! I have this amazing cookbook now - wheatfreeworld - and that has inspired me.

georgie Enthusiast

Does anyone know if Easter Eggs are OK ? Cadbury, Red Tulip etc.

And had a lightglobe moment :lol: re my trip to the city and a Glutening. I wore makeup! I checked and it has no ingredients on the bottle and I have thrown the box away. Its Jurlique which is all allergy tested - but its a discontinued line - so it makes me wonder now.

georgie Enthusiast

Have mailed Jurlique.

Kaycee Collaborator

Hi, Georgie, in reply to your question about cadbury's and their easter eggs, maybe this site might help, I am not too sure how up to date it is.

Open Original Shared Link

Really isn't it a bit early to be thinking of easter eggs? Never. I know the other day I saw hot cross buns in the supermarket. I think it is so crazy how they put these things out just after Christmas. I guess it is a marketing ploy!

Cathy

georgie Enthusiast

Its never to early for Easter Eggs :lol: I have been in touch with Haigh Chocolates - a SA company and they have sent a list of their gluten-free safe chocolates. If you mail them - they will send one out. ( its copyrighted).

My big discovery today is that my makeup was Glutening me ! I mailed the company and sure enough - it has wheat in it. I am now onto a Mineral Makeup that sounds wonderful and is made in Victoria. Its all gluten-free and as light as a feather to wear. jrminerals without the .au

Also about to check shampoos and soaps. I still have not had a formal dx but this looks more and more like Celiac if I am this sensitive?

nutralady2001 Newbie

Hello I'm in the country just outside Adelaide in South Australia.

I joined here several months ago before I went gluten-free and did the gluten challenge. I'm glad to see others here who are self-diagnosed through the gluten challenge

As you will see from my signature I have suffered from IBS since I was 12 but not diagnosed until I was 21. I am now 59...........and am now wondering if all along I have had this problem

A friend encouraged me to try it as I also have an auto-immune disease, Hashimoto's which kills off the thyroid gland

if you have one auto-immune disease you are at risk of others, Celiac being one.

Because I had been gluten free and saw the difference it made I am not willing to go back on gluten again so that I could have the biopsy

nutralady2001 Newbie
I highly reccomend Country Life Fruit bread wich is available at Woolworths and I think coles. It's just great, It's got things like apricot pieces in it. Of course it doesn't have the texture of normal bread but it really is nice toasted with a bit of butter. I have eaten 4 pieces of it since last night. Also all their other products are good - they apprently do a swiss roll wich is available at Health food stores, although I have not seen it.

It's yummy!! I've just had 2 peices of fruit loaf...yummo!!!

When I picked up my bread last Thursday, day before Australia Day, my Woollies now get it in fresh each day and put it on the shelf ( they used to have it frozen before and you had to ask at the bakery.) anyway the loaves were going out for $1.50 each!!!! Normally they are over $5.00. I also like the multi-grain...........the white is so-so

nutralady2001 Newbie
I emailed the Gourmet Co and they have a retail outlet in Adelaide ! I noticed there was one in Qld too !

Where abouts is it georgie? I'm just north of Adelaide, where are you?

nutralady2001 Newbie
I was just checking out the McDonalds website and noticed that there herb fusion chicken salad is gluten free including the dressing. I am getting it clarified thru email though. Also there chocolate thickshake is supposedly gluten free but it contains malt syrup so I am getting them to check that out too.

Is it a new product? I checked the Maccas web site a couple of months ago and the only thing I could see was garden salad and sauces <_< Oh and I think fruit smoothies :unsure:

Aussie Peg Rookie

Hello everyone! Its been so long since i've posted on here!! i've been a busy bee on holiday in the UK and Europe, it was amazing! I did pretty well staying gluten free and only had a few gluten issues which is pretty good for 7 weeks away :) Tesco and Sainsburys (UK supermarkets) have the most amazing gluten free food - chocolate cakes, apple pie, english muffins, bread rolls, bagels, and so much more i cant think of right now, and it was all yummy, no wonder i put on weight lol! They don't label if their glucose syrup is from wheat though so i had some problems with their lollies as i'm pretty sensitive. I saw an ad in a new aussie magazine called healthy food for "living well" brand of gluten free foods which i had in england and was delicious, so if you see it in the supermarket i highly recommend it!

ooh ooh ooh...and we went to a little farmhouse in switzerland and the lady there put on a lunch for us and supplied me with gluten free bread she bought locally and it was the most amazing gluten-free bread i've ever tasted!!! i've got no idea what brand it was but it was delicious untoasted with just cheese on it even! Ah, fond memories :)

Pubs were really good when i asked for gluten free and told them what i couldnt have, there was only one incident with a meal labelled as gluten free on the menu (i double checked with the waitress too) and it came out with a stack of crumbed calamari on the plate :huh: lol!

Anyhoo, back to Australia, I tried the freedom foods wraps and really liked them (i lightly sprinkled them with water and microwaved them for 20ish seconds), I think they would be great as burrito or fajita wraps with some saucey meat and salad inside :)

I cooked the Basco carrot cake mix yesterday and it is so delicious, tastes just like the glutany version, i think i'll add some more nut pieces next time though.

Last Easter i emailed cadbury about their cream eggs and they wrote back saying the big ones are gluten free but the little mini ones arent, their big dream eggs (the creamy filled ones) were gluten free too :)

I'm keen to hear about the boost drinks too, they look so refreshing when i walk past! If i go to wendy's for a shake, do i need to get them to clean the blender before they make my drink or do they do that after every drink anyway? Think i'll get one tomorrow :D

I hope everyone is well and not too hot in this toasty summer! .....Sorry about the giant post!

Saz Explorer

If you read the allergen statement on Mcds website it says that both chicken salads have gluten in them.

Archived