11 replies to this topic

#1 Lister

Lister

Sidewalks are for skating

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:04 PM

So i was in the store shopping for breakfast, i figure eh may as well restock on my eggs, so i was looking thru the eggs and i was thinking hmmm i wonder if brown eggs are good, luckly my gluten-free opend them up to inspect the eggs because there it was a ingrediant list
Flax seed rolled in wheat, thats what it said so what do they inject them? wtf

so my question is, i got some white eggs from the same company there was no ingrediant list, should this be just eggs or should i just throw away them and find a new brand? i dont wanna eat them and then find out there injected with wheat gah that was some bs are all brown eggs like that?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:17 PM

Lister,

I never look at the ingredence in eggs before. Just thought they were just plain eggs.

I do think there is no difference between brown and white eggs...just the breed of the chicken.

I think that you are safe eating the eggs.

Here is something for you to try:

Scramble eggs in a bowl (how many you want to eat)
Add a little half&half, or milk
Add a little cream cheese
Add some McCormicks dried onions
Add some Oscar Meyer Real Bacon Bitts
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix it up real well and SLOWLY stir and cook on top of the stove....too good

Fry up some Jimmy Dean Sausage and some Oreida hash browns...and your cooking. ALL GLUTEN FREE. :)

Lisa
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:24 PM

That is really weird! Maybe the gluten is from what they fed the chicken before it laid the eggs. I know that some companies make egg white that says gluten free on it. I don't know what to tell you about the white eggs. I can't imagine how they would inject wheat into them.
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#4 Lister

Lister

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:28 PM

i ran back to the store, its mcormic farms, they have a special brown egg that says Contains Omega 3, its injected with omega 3 with flaxseed that contains wheat... well so no brown eggs from that brand for me

so there whites are safe then right? i dont wanna start my morning off with a glutening its gonna be a long day at work to begine with

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:46 PM

interesting. I've seen omega-3 eggs where they feed the hens flax meal, but not where they inject the eggs directly. very odd.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:09 PM

I'm with Tiffany on this one. I've never seen anything but eggs where chickens were fed flax seed to add omega 3 to the eggs.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#7 Lister

Lister

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:33 PM

so should i trust there white eggs? they dont say there injected or anything for the white ones, but it got me worried after reading the brown ones, please someone answer by morning, or else i dont know what im gonna do about breakfast at work

yah the chickens were fed flax, i ment to say they where injected with hormons, but they where fed a flax,wheat mixture (for the brown eggs- i got the white ones though)

#8 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:41 PM

Shouldn't matter what they were fed. The flax eggs just have more nutrition because of the omega 3. White or brown eggs would be fine.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:42 PM

then those eggs are fine, they don't have gluten in them. the chicken eating wheat is not going to put gluten in the egg, because the chicken is going to digest the protein.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#10 Lister

Lister

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

ah ok thanks for clearing that up, i will eat in peace tomorrow morning :)

figure i would add this on, anyone have problems with apple juice upsetting there stomic, lately i have been having upset stomics fairly regularary, so i was reviewing my food jurnal, and the only thing i added was minute maid apple juice, i know its gluten-free, but is apple juice itself hard on the stomic??

also thanks for that great breakfast recipe i think i will give it a try it sounds really good

#11 eleep

eleep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:45 PM

Some brown eggs are also just that -- brown eggs. Omega-3 fatty acids are a very good anti-inflammatory thing to eat, as well.

I'm particularly fond of cream cheese in eggs myself -- I'd throw in some avocado as well, but I'm in Florida where they're really cheap right now.

The only thing I've heard about apple juice is that it's actually something that's supposed to help soothe an upset stomach.

eleep
Erica

Inconclusive blood test results
Positive Enterolab results
Positive dietary results
gluten-free since 2/10/06

#12 Lister

Lister

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

weak i got no clue what keeps upsetting my stomic then :(, i had drank some apple juice about a hour ago and my stomic is twiching and hurting right now so i was hoping that was why, well not really i love apple juice but i meen atleast then i pin pointed the source, ok enough message board for tonight, i got to get to bed for work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: